Post any potential key Week 1 injuries here!

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
I'll get it started, what the hell.

Ga Southern QB Ellison is suspeded for one more week, a significant event considering how bad their offense was at West By God Virginia.

Wiskydicks RB Clemens is listed as Q this week vs. Miami O

Syracuse QB Hunt is again out for the year with an achillies. Absolutely wrecks any hope they had of improvement this season by most accounts.

K-State QB Ertz played one play and then was carted off with a leg. No word of the severity yet. All-Big 12 S Barnett also had a shoulder and CB McDaniel did not play. Three key cogs.

Mizzou RB Hansbrough is listed as Q this week vs. Arky State

E. Mich QB Bell suffered a jaw and is also listed as Q for now

BYU QB Hill had a foot and will again be out for the year, possibly ending his career

Notre Dame RB Folston is listed as DOUBTFUL at Uva

Toledo RB Hunt is still suspended one more week (vs. Arky). Some consider him the MAC's top player.

Pitt RB Connor is Q at Akron; the Panthers do get WR Boyd back from suspension

Wazzou QB Falk is listed as Q at Rutgers this week.

Those are mostly skill players I listed. Was hoping for better insight from people who follow individual games, teams and leagues more closely. I'm running around like a headless chicken this morning trying to update numbers for next week. This can be a good thread for everyone and I hope we get some decent participation. Thanks in advance, and I'll try to start this thread every week if people are okay with that.

:shake:

Miami won its ninth consecutive home opener, but didn't escape unscathed and lost two wide receivers in the first quarter. Braxton Berrios left with a knee injury that had the Hurricanes concerned, and Stacy Coley departed with an ankle injury. There was no immediate word on the severity of either injury and Berrios was taken to a hospital for further examination.
"I think they'll be all right," Golden said.

16f6554dfd0b25f7edcc1603ce35b703.jpg

Weekly College Football Injuries
*Please scroll down to view all injuies

GAME #309-310
Georgia Southern - QB Kevin Ellison (Suspension) expected to miss Saturday vs. Western Michigan

GAME #325-326
Wisconsin - RB Corey Clement (Groin) injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Miami Ohio

GAME #327-328
Kansas State - QB Jesse Ertz (Knee) injured last game, doubtful Saturday vs. Tex San Antonio

GAME #333-334
Syracuse - QB Terrel Hunt (Achilles) out for season

GAME #337-338
Missouri - HB Russell Hansbrough (Ankle) injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Arkansas State

GAME #339-340
Eastern Michigan - QB Reginald Bell, Jr. (Jaw) injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Wyoming

GAME #351-352
BYU - QB Taysom Hill (Foot) out for season

GAME #353-354
Notre Dame - RB Tarean Folston (Knee) injured last game, doubtful Saturday vs. Virginia

GAME #361-362
Toledo - RB Kareem Hunt (Suspension) expected to miss Saturday vs. Arkansas

GAME #367-368
Pittsburgh U - RB James Conner (Knee) injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Akron
Pittsburgh U - WR Tyler Boyd (Suspension Served) missed last game, probable Saturday vs. Akron

GAME #381-382
Washington State - QB Luke Falk (Shoulder) injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Rutgers

GAME #429-430
NC State - RB Shadrach Thornton (Suspension) expected to miss Saturday vs. Eastern Kentucky

09/06 06:42 AM PDT

College Football

GAME #339-340

Eastern Michigan - QB Reginald Bell, Jr. (Jaw) injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Wyoming

Folston is done for the year with a torn MCL.

If he'd stayed in the game last night after the injury, he'd still have rushed for 100 yards.

BYU's nose tackle went out in 2H with knee - that's when Neb started moving the ball much better. Announcers also said they lost a MLB and Safety. Not sure on status of any of them. Nose tackle seems to be a very key player on an already shaky D.

SDSU starting safety Lomax out 4-6 weeks. secondary is their strength, but my Aztecs didn't look good last week....especially offensively. Bad time to lose him considering They go to Cal this week

Miami won its ninth consecutive home opener, but didn't escape unscathed and lost two wide receivers in the first quarter. Braxton Berrios left with a knee injury that had the Hurricanes concerned, and Stacy Coley departed with an ankle injury. There was no immediate word on the severity of either injury and Berrios was taken to a hospital for further examination.
"I think they'll be all right," Golden said.

No specifics but golden was upbeat about berrios, so probably just a sprain vs torn ligaments etc. Coley seems pretty mentally weak to me so who knows he if wants to play not 100%

Utah State WR Sharp is suspended for Friday's game. Not sure how much it matters considering how awful their offense was against a I-AA last week (check Gyno's thread for my report on that one).

Virginia's Fieler and Tetlow are out for the season, according to London.

Pitt RB Connor is through for the season. Fairly significant loss there, though if their line is anything close to last year's then several guys could put up numbers in the same vicinity.

More i think about it, more upset i get about whoever has a job that is in charge of Heintz Field. Their turf claimed Jordy Nelson and now this stud in a two week span. Two tenants, so I realize it's a bad deal all around but fucking talk to someone that has to maintain turf for two different teams.

I've seen people who change the turf several times a year. Why can't they do that until they get it right? How does this guy or group of guys still have gainful employment? That has to be one of the worst grass-field environments in all of major college football and certainly the worst in the Niffel.

agreed Rex, how in this day and age is that acceptable. you are dealing with too much $$ to allow it to happen and teams are invested too highly in these players/kids. not to mention careers/futures/livelihoods damaged.

Pitt RB Connor is through for the season. Fairly significant loss there, though if their line is anything close to last year's then several guys could put up numbers in the same vicinity.

BRUTAL

people are talking about him getting a medical red shirt

hes not coming back, BOL in the NFL

but when he went out last week Chris James and Qadree Ollison both had good games. Pitt RB's not named Conner ran for 240 yards. I know it was just YSU, but Pitt is deep with RB's, if anything.

More i think about it, more upset i get about whoever has a job that is in charge of Heintz Field. Their turf claimed Jordy Nelson and now this stud in a two week span. Two tenants, so I realize it's a bad deal all around but fucking talk to someone that has to maintain turf for two different teams.

I've seen people who change the turf several times a year. Why can't they do that until they get it right? How does this guy or group of guys still have gainful employment? That has to be one of the worst grass-field environments in all of major college football and certainly the worst in the Niffel.

Its the Rooney's fellas.

It's a significant injury for Pitt even though someone rightly points out that they have depth and a good oline. And it should be noted that RB is the most easily replaced position on most football teams. He was a beast though. His forward lean at contact added a lot to their running game.

FWIW....Luke Falk had limited participation in Sunday night's practice and Leach said he is "100%" healthy.....

Not an injury but Dominique Hatfield has been reinstated on the team. I don't know if he will start against USU but he will be the week after if not. Huge for the Utah secondary as we saw the JC transfer get burned a few times against UM.

neb's punter is out. all american caliber player. Starting DE also out. the opposite of all american.

It doesn't affect this week, but does anybody know what is going on with the TCU defense?
The TCU Horned Frogs lost their second starting linebacker of the week Wednesday when true freshman Mike Freeze was ruled out for what coach Gary Patterson called "a leave of absence."
Patterson, a day after saying Sammy Douglas would miss the rest of the seasonbecause of an undisclosed injury, revealed Wednesday he likely would turn to true freshman Montrel Wilson and redshirt freshman Ty Summers, who filled in for Douglas in a Week 1 win at Minnesota after the injury.
The third-ranked Horned Frogs are banged up elsewhere defensively heading into Saturday's game with Stephen F. Austin.
Patterson said defensive end James McFarland will undergo surgery after breaking a toe on a sprinkler head and could miss the rest of the season.
Defensive tackle Davion Pierson is doubtful to play this weekend, as well.

In addition to the fact that they aren't going to be as tough this year, or next year, or the year after, because they now practice against a finesse bitch offense year-round.

Every coach wants the Oregon offense paired with the Alabama defense, but they don't seem to understand that you can't have that. One begets the other. If you don't play physical on offense, your defense won't be able to tackle or stop someone on third and short. If all you practice are read options and bubble screens, your defense won't be able to stop a pro-set power formation. Last year was a unique year for TCU, and you won't see a repeat anytime soon. They had the remnants of their stingy defense and their history of shutting everyone down, combined with an offense that opened it up. They will become softer and softer on defense over time.

The TCU Horned Frogs lost their second starting linebacker of the week Wednesday when true freshman Mike Freeze was ruled out for what coach Gary Patterson called "a leave of absence."
Patterson, a day after saying Sammy Douglas would miss the rest of the seasonbecause of an undisclosed injury, revealed Wednesday he likely would turn to true freshman Montrel Wilson and redshirt freshman Ty Summers, who filled in for Douglas in a Week 1 win at Minnesota after the injury.
The third-ranked Horned Frogs are banged up elsewhere defensively heading into Saturday's game with Stephen F. Austin.
Patterson said defensive end James McFarland will undergo surgery after breaking a toe on a sprinkler head and could miss the rest of the season.
Defensive tackle Davion Pierson is doubtful to play this weekend, as well.

Thanks mate. I heard something in passing today and didn’t catch all of it

Thoughts on the BYU QB situation. I had never heard of Tanner Mangum....however:

22 year old true freshman
Shared MVP honors with Jameis Winston in the Elite 11 camp in 2011
4 star according to 247 sports
3rd ranked pro QB
Played in 2012 Under Armour All American Game

I was very impressed with him. I would caution anyone dropping BYU down in their rankings due to the loss of Hill.

In addition to the fact that they aren't going to be as tough this year, or next year, or the year after, because they now practice against a finesse bitch offense year-round.

Every coach wants the Oregon offense paired with the Alabama defense, but they don't seem to understand that you can't have that. One begets the other. If you don't play physical on offense, your defense won't be able to tackle or stop someone on third and short. If all you practice are read options and bubble screens, your defense won't be able to stop a pro-set power formation. Last year was a unique year for TCU, and you won't see a repeat anytime soon. They had the remnants of their stingy defense and their history of shutting everyone down, combined with an offense that opened it up. They will become softer and softer on defense over time.

That is a really fucking tremendous point. Great observation. Hadn't even begin to think about TCU like that.

View attachment 39428

Carl Lawson. Auburn said he could have returned to the game Saturday, but that looks suspicious. If he's unable to play the full season, they are going to look pretty similar to last year on defense

I think this applies to aTm and AU as well. Yes they looked much improved in week 1, but how will they look in week 7? week 10? week 12? It's a long season and those defenses aren't that deep to begin with. By mid to late season, there will be a lot of dinged up guys who have played a ton of football due to their team's offensive system.

That is an interesting point, Garfather. It makes sense to me. I wonder also, how much of it is just team philosophy as well. Teams running that spread, fast paced offense run a lot of plays and the coaches typically prefer their better players to play offense (if there is a choice between offense/defense). Also, just the pace of play takes a toll on defense. I think your point is valid, but I think it also goes deeper than just the type of offense you practice against.

Back