Pittsburgh at Central Florida

N

NickFazekas

What do you guys see in this game? I see a Pitt team that has literally beaten NOBODY (sorry Syracuse and Citadel). They are now without John Simonitis (best offensive lineman who broke his ankle 1 week ago) and are starting like 3 or 4 freshman on the line now. I can't see where their offense will justify laying these kind of points on the road. Throw in 3 out of 4 bets are on pitt so far and the line went from 10.5 to 10, reverse line move, yada yada, and it appears Central Florida is the play. C. Fla is still a bowl team from last year and I still respect them enough to take +10 at home vs Wannsteadt. I see them possibly winning, and they definitly will if Pitt doesn't come to play football (this is now 6 games in a month for pitt, are they tired, letdown?)

Thoughts?

:drinking:

correction: this is now Pittsburgh's 7th game since Sept 2. Seems like a condensed schedule.

NickFazekas said:
What do you guys see in this game? I see a Pitt team that has literally beaten NOBODY (sorry Syracuse and Citadel). They are now without John Simonitis (best offensive lineman who broke his ankle 1 week ago) and are starting like 3 or 4 freshman on the line now. I can't see where their offense will justify laying these kind of points on the road. Throw in 3 out of 4 bets are on pitt so far and the line went from 10.5 to 10, reverse line move, yada yada, and it appears Central Florida is the play. C. Fla is still a bowl team from last year and I still respect them enough to take +10 at home vs Wannsteadt. I see them possibly winning, and they definitly will if Pitt doesn't come to play football (this is now 6 games in a month for pitt, are they tired, letdown?)

Thoughts?

:drinking:
What are you talking about? Going into the season one big plus for Pitt was that their entire O-line was experienced and had no new starters. A quick search finds that they are starting 1 Sr., 2 Jr.'s, 1 soph, and the freshman. Not exactly 3 or 4 freshman. Why the bogus facts? BTW, I'm on Pitt -10. I've watched UCF two weeks in a row and they're just not very good. Moffett is a terrible QB. Palko is the best player on the field in this game and I expect him to have a good day. Pitt has been good to me this year and I'll ride them again.

well........... u talked me into it ;) i ll be on ucf, always love a nice home dog in a national tv game ;) good luck lets cash this muthafucker

hey albyman,

You are the one who needs to get his facts straight before you go blasting away tough guy.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/06274/726566-233.stm

"With Simonitis out, freshman Joe Thomas will become the starter. There might be some position changes, too, because this is the second significant injury to an offensive lineman. Earlier, tackle John Bachman, the top reserve at tackle, was lost for the season because of a broken ankle. Another beneficiary of those two injuries might be freshman tackle Jason Pinkston, a Baldwin High School graduate who was on his way to a redshirt before playing for the first time yesterday. Wannstedt said Pinkston likely will move into a more prominent role."

Hedge your Pitt -10 and go back to class would be my advice for ya.

and if you think one of pitt's strengths is their offensive line......well you must be smoking crack!!!

Check yourself Mr Fazekas

Hey there , before you go tellin people off try and get some correct information. Pitt's starting offensive line this week consists of Otah (jr), McGlynn (jr), Davis (so), Thomas (stud freshman recruit) and a senior Villani under center. Jason Pinkston, a true freshman who moved up to the 2 deep because of the injury to Simonitis and Craig Bokor , a redshirt freshman see very little playing time at this point.

BTW, anything else you need to know about Pitt, feel free to ask. They are my boys.

Ray

you wanna bet a road team in the swamp -10 when the best thing wannsteadt had to say about Thomas and Pinkston is "they are eager to play" then be my guest.

I already have put my money on Pitt and I don't need your permission. I'm not calling it some sort of stone cold lock nor am I calling people who are on UCF idiots. I've stated my side but more importantly I thought it was absurd for you to be saying that Pitt is starting 3 or 4 freshman. I wasn't saying their line are worldbeaters either. All I was saying was that I remember reading before the season that it was a plus that they had no new starters on the line. Thus, when I read your statement about all the freshman starters I decided to do some fact checking. I can see why you've already been banned once. Get your own facts straight before you start belittling others and calling them tough guys. Thanks for the info dolishra.

Why would Wanny wanna toot their horns before they ever stepped on the field? That never seemed like his persona to talk up someones game before they proved it on the field.

Pitt needs to start getting some respect.. one of the better teams in the Big East with Rutgers after UL and WVU. Moffet is absolutely horrible and you simply cannot trust him against this Pitt D line. He's accident prone.

I am not going to say much but I am still not impressed with Pitt enough to lay 10. Cuse offense is still a work in progress and I would think UCF's is clearly better and there recent Marshall win might get them going in the right direction . After all this is basically the same team as last year...

Fazekas

I never said I am laying the points Friday night. I am just pointing out that you are calling people out about facts when you are wrong. And for what it is worth, Pitt line is coming together extremely well. Palko is hardly getting pressured and Larod Howlings-Stephens ran for 200 plus last weekend ( albeit against a bad Syracuse team).

Ray

UCF isn't exactly world beaters at home. With losses to USF and Southern Miss.

With respect to O-Lines....UCF has given up 2.4 sacks a game.... Pitt has given up 5 TOTAL in 6 games.

UCF is 107th in pass eff defense. Pitt is a top 20 passing team and FIRST in pass eff. Go PITT.

Hmm...line just dropped to 9.5 on Pinny. I am fairly new to this. Since all the money is on Pitt, and the line is still dropping, what are the chances that UCF beats the spread you think?

UCF isn't world beaters but they dont have to be to cover this spread. Against USF, kevin smith was suspended so you have to think they probably win that game if he's there since he's their offense. They could have won just as easily vs So miss, just had that fumble by Smith on the goal line. Steven Moffett has been MIA, he can't be any worse than he has been. One day he's gonna have a breakout game, and I think this might be a chance vs a tired defense thats played 7 games in 39 days.

Good point about pitt's schedule...this good be the game they consider "a break", esp with Rutgers on deck.

The only problem I see with betting UCF here, dates back to Pitt's loss to Ohio in a weeknite game LY...this sets up very much the same way, and I have read quotes by Pitt (seniors Blades and Palko) players that they aren't going to allow this to happen again. If Pitt brings it on defense, UCF will have a very tough time scoring, hence making a cover in the 2nd half very likely.

I dont know much about the Pitt OL. What I do is the level of competition they have played. UCF allows 2.4 sacks but they played @ FLA I believe..how many sacks came that agme?

Nick is correct in saying USF beat UCF w/o Kevin Smith who is a very good back and mentally WEAK though. As well as saying So Miss was handed a WIN by UCF that nite. Every point USM scored was off a UCF turnover or missed FG...

I also think Nick has a great point about 7 games in 39 days especially when the home dog has extra time to prepare and is coming home off a nice SU road win...I know Marshall isnt anything special but it was a close game throughout and they won at the last second...could have some carry over momentum. Could be the spark needed to get UCF in the right direction they lost 49-48 to Nevada last year in the Hawaii Bowl or something.....

UCF's biggest issues are the FG kicking and discipline. I have never seen a worse tackling team and a team that is a soft mentally. One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the role Kyle Israel will play...he seemed to get alot of PT in that Marshall game.

I think UCF has some intangibles going for them....longer week , home game and Pitt back t back away...that could make this game closer then it would normally be....

Just my two cents

Sports Nut - To answer your question UCF gave up 2 sacks in the Florida game.

Feel free to go with UCF in that game, but I am saying a UCF cover is the less likely play. Not saying it can't happen, but 4 out of 5 times, Pitt will cover that spread.

Pitt is a very well balanced team on both sides of the ball. Everyone give Wanstedt shit but he is a good coach. Pitt is definetly a top 30 team maybe 25 team right now and until they lose to a lesser team (meaning a UCF or similiar) you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Personaly i do nto like to lay that much chalk on a primetime natl game where there MIGHT be some question to whether they are 100% legit such as the case here with Pitt. but then again i don;t see how you bet against them either. Smart play would be tease them with a cal or oregon or another dd fav IMO.
UCF is not a bowl team in the least. They lack dicispline and talent and coaching. Last year was a fluke and the golden knights are garbage. I'm not one for stregnth of schedule either. I a team is playing lesser competition and executes consistently without mental errors they will be fine when they step up to a better team. Later in the year Pitt plays WVU. I will be betting Pitt if i can catch 14 or better. but in the meantime UCF is not that step up by any means. Stay away or tease the favorite are my words of wisdom

Nice analysis there Nick

Great call there on the game. Glad to see that inexperienced Pitt line get torn to shreds. Man do they suck. And that Larod Howlings kid. He sucks. Boy am I an idiot for betting Pitt -10. Man I wish I had that bet back.

Ray

I did say UCF was undisclipined BUT could they have looked any worse. Good call guys ...totally unexpected from my view point.....but not unbelievable....UCF 97yd kick return just tells you they werent ready to play...again nice work...just wish I hit that over harder......

1-2 in NCAA lost about 4 units but went 7-0 in mLB winning 19 ....I guess I had to be wrong on something and you guys nailed. GL tmrw!

I was on UCF as well and feel like shit:spank:

That was a destruction at its finest...UCF had been good to me this year until tonight:hairout:

dolishra - At CTG you respect your fellow capper. You won the bet, have some class and don't rub it in. Nick can come off as arrogant and very oppinionated and might ruffle a few feathers - mine included. But myself nor any of the other partners will not stand for anyone rubbing a loss in the face of another member.

Your analysis of the game and the information you provided was appreciated, and I encourage you to freely speak up in discussing the games. Just please respect everyone else. Thanks.

~Nick

Fondy,
I definitely agree with you on respecting your fellow capper, but if you read the thread in its entirety, Nick completely brought that on himself.

Chitwood, I've been watching this thread since its been up and I agree to an extent. Just wanted to use this opportunity to make a point and convey CTG's expectations to a few members I haven't had interaction with in the past. It's a fine line between micro managing and letting things get out of hand.

Back