Phillies to win the World Series thread/Picks/Analysis/Meth/Thoughts Etc..

CapTwo

Richmond Local TV Legend
World series: Phills to win the WS +170 (130/221)
Phills to win the WS -175 (175/100)

Game 1:

1st 5 Under 4 (-125)62.50/50
Under 7 (+103) 40/41
Phills ML -105 52.50/50

Game 2: (essentially rays -1)

CowBells ML -161 (80.50/50)
CowBells RL +130 (50/65)

Game 4:

Phills ML (even$$) 60/60

Game 5:

Phills RL +125 80/100
--- PUSH
Phills ML -175 183/105

------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to watch one of my favorite players in the MLB, shane victorino, who after being underrated and quietly one of the leaders on this phills team these last couple years, is finally getting the respect he deserves (talking about from the public and media, I know phills fans were always high on him). Time to enjoy the most dominant postseason pitcher this season in cole, and one of the best swings in baseball in Utley.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Reasons I am backing phills: huge bullpen advantage (discussed below), experience/age, rest, and what I think is one of the most overlooked and important advantages:

They do not have intense scouting reports about their opponent, and do not have the advantage of facing an AL east opponent that they’ve seen a lot of, which I think played a big role in the ALCS win in jumping on a couple of bad pitches for HR’s. Most hitters wouldn’t capatilize on sox mistakes as well as tampa did, but the hitters knew what to look for from each pitcher as they’ve faced eachother so much this year. This is not the case w/ philly…..TB/Philly have not matched up since 2006! Follow me…

In the divisionals, they faced a banged up, fatigued out-of-gas CWS team. They were expected to roll and did, good work, but im not impressed.
In the ALCS, they beat the defending world champion which is great, but who had a lot of struggles with consistency and waited too long to makes some changes in the lineup (game 6), IMO. And also the rays had the better of them in the regular season already so had some momentum going into the series.

But the main thing here is the fact that these two met eachother (18 times) this season. Theyre AL east rivals, the scouting reports are in-depth and each team knows the other like the back of their hand.
But what of philly? These teams haven’t met in two years. And lets look at THEIR resume…..

In the divisional series, see above post regarding rays/TB series. The screwers, like CWS, limped into the playoffs riding CC into the ground and having him carry them on his back continually on 3 days rest, and the way the offense was hitting they really didn’t deserve to be there either. But in the NLCS, beating LAD is a one helluva feat. And they did it In 5 games.
This team quickly disposed of arguably the hottest team going into and during the playoffs.

Rays also struggling with errors. This is where the age/inexperience has played a role I think. After starting out with 0 errors in the first 3 games, in games 4-7 they committed 6 errors, with at least 1 in each game. And the ones in game 6 and 7 were in key situations late in the game. The phills committed only 2 in 5 games against LA.

Alsobig advantage, bullpen, to the phills. They have experience, and the arms in the pen all have an arsenal of secondary pitches. I think Tampa pen is a bad matchup against philly, as guys like wheeler and balfour that throw strictly fastballs are too predictable. Plus this is a team that has hit fastball pitchers well all season…. And have shown the ability to pounce on weak bullpens. And does tampa even have a “closer” right now?

Interesting to see how the youngin price will perform, and if he can keep up the lights out innings and not buckle under pressure, that could be an x-factor for tampa if he can hold down the closer role. He was VHT and is certainly maturing before our eyes, but can he perform in the WS in citizen bank? Or will he only be used at trop?

I think a pitcher like bradshaw could have success against philly as desceptive lowball-groundball pitchers are the ones that tend to have success against philly (ie Derek lowe). Although certain hitters hit him very well as hes been in the league for awhile, and I don’t have philly battors #’s against him on hand at the moment.
And whats up with trevor miller? Must be something, maddon has been very hesistant to use him, hes only thrown 19 pitches this whole postseason?

Gimme Madson, Lidge, and Romero who have been un-hittable this postseason, and even better in clutch situations. Lidge has not blown a save since the cubs won a WS =)
Please limit usage of the durbinator, I don’t want to see much of him unless we have a 5+ run lead.|
Hell, even throw in eyre who is still riding an adrenaline high from the realization that hes not a cub anymore (LOL).

Sorry about the length, i had a lot of jumbled ADD thoughts in my other ALCS/NLCS thread, i tried to keep the above one to the point.

Typed that up earlier when i was capping the series and it makes a lot more sense and is to the point better then some of my other posts in the past, thats for sure. lol

Agreed. The Phillies are going to win this. That probably comes off as being biased but even if I wasn't a fan I'd favor that side. Stacked lineup, phenominal bullpen and the best pitcher in the postseason to this point. More experience.

You're also correct in pointing out the Rays have had favorable matchups. CWS were no match and the Red Sox are beat up. The Rays are young and after the Boston series there is a great chance for a letdown in games 1 and 2.

Phils are hungry and this is probably the last chance Burrell/Howard/Rollins/Utley/Hamels/Myers/Lidge all get together to win it all. They will have more urgency here.

The wild card is Moyer. He generally destroys young teams and if the Rays aren't an exception I don't see them having much shot to win this series.

Agree with the errors portion of your analysis. TB will need to eliminate the errors or this will be a quick series. Experience can play a part to a certain extent. Boston had a ton more of experience and now they are home watching the WS. I'm on the other side but good health Cap.

Actually my gut tells me Phillies.

Tbh, I'd be happy with either team winning the WS because both teams play with their hearts, guys inside both clubhouses are like a family to each other.

I believe Phils XP along with pen advantage may prevail but I wouldn't be so fast on taking them at Tropicana. Being "rusty" is key word here along with the fact that this will be their 1st visit to Tropicana (Phila haven't played here since 2001). From Rays standpoint - they play much better when they're the underdogs plus Kaz at home has been great while getting nice run support.

Imo Tampa may take those first 2 games (I'm thinking game 1 like a possible strong play on them) and actually I'd be very happy to see it happen because the line on Philadelphia for game 3 would look slightly better compared if they'd win one or both games @ Tampa.

We'll see.. Anyway, BOL with your series bet!

MCG- Good shit man, definitely agree. I like your point about the urgency, kind of reminds me about the boston/LAL finals of last year which boston cashed the series as a mid-range dog.
Boston had a lot of players that are getting old and needed rings and had a real sense of urgency and "now or never mentality"

Similar situation w/ the phills but difference is LAL had experience and veterans too while tampa is a very young team. But you could make some similar connections from that series that will fit this one, IMO.

3rd- would have never guessed you, smokedawg, MCG, and C$$$ would be on the phills! definitely came out of left field. stop being so predictable. oh and, uhh GO PHILLS

unicorn- thanks man and good stuff, i too am very happy that it came down to these two teams.
like i said above, as long as it wasnt the red sox or yanks i was happy:cheers:

Agree with the errors portion of your analysis. TB will need to eliminate the errors or this will be a quick series. Experience can play a part to a certain extent. Boston had a ton more of experience and now they are home watching the WS. I'm on the other side but good health Cap.

:shake:

Good health bro, it should be a great series either way.

No matter what happens, yall hed a helluva season and a helluva future, and going from worst to first is incredible.

Difference between boston and philly imo, is consistency in the lineup.

Boston had certain spots in the lineup that were privy to becoming an easy out and stranding runners. Papi, VARITEK, kotsay and lowrie all were pretty much worthles.... and in games 1-5 add ellsbury to that list as well.

The phills have consistency throughout the whole lineup, whereas boston didnt.

Cap, I'm betting the Rays for the series.

new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

Holy fuck.

And you feel strongly about them winning?

Im considering doing the same...I took the Dodgers after they went down 2-0...

Ya know, so if they lose, at least Ill get paid

and well if they win...then itll be the best money I ever spent!!

Im actually shocked, wow.
Are you all that sold that tampa is winning this?

Or is it just like you said, trying to make it a "win win situation"

it has nothing to do with me thinking tampa wins...

It has everything to do with me not being totally despondent if the Fightins go down

Call it a silver lining if you like...

Also it might have something to do with me being a terrible gambler and going to extreme measures to reverse jinx the world series...

No, Im not completely neurotic...

well, maybe a little...but thats what being a Philly sports fan will do to you

new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

Holy fuck.

And you feel strongly about them winning?

I do. Deep down I hope I'm wrong, and I'll be at the home Series games pulling for my Phillies.
This Tampa team reminds me of the 97 Marlins.
Face it, Phillies beat a Brewer team that was hanging by a thread, and an overachieving Dodgers squad.

Yep...dont take em...no chance to win whatsoever...waste of money

NO CHANCE

LOCK IT UP, TAMPA WILL WIN IN FOUR or SIX, just like every analyst, poster, athlete, sportscaster is saying

THIS ONE IS OVER

game on bitches

:popcorn:

alllrigghhhtyyyy then

happy with the situation, and sticking to the plan. like i said if cole won last night, i woudl take tampa in the must-win spot tonight. they know the series is going to CB park after this game and they need this win.
plus the pitching matchup is to big to look away from

playing the ML and RL, just not sure for how much yet. but, if you look at it its just a TERRIBLE matchup for myers, IMO.
hes a head-case, hes emotional, and a momentum-based pitcher
, and he has his gas-can moments, and is due for one here in the playoffs. it almost happened in the first inning of the screwers game but that idiot hart hacked at the first pitch and hit into a DP

if you look at it, there are many thing that can rattle him and throw him off his game tonight.

A) trop field noise/attendance/loudness
B) COWBELLS
C) speed that TB has on the basepaths. they will be running as often as possible, as they know its a great way to get in myers head. i think it will drive him insane

besides his walks, myers also has had trouble giving up the longball this year, and even more so on the road.

great way for a guy like upton to redeem himself for yesterdays hitting into 2 DP's, and longoria and pena going 0-fer.

best matchup/situation TB will get all series, and only time i will be playing them this series, GL fellas.

Last edited:
this game is gonna be interesting

Myers is a nutcase...hes already said his gameplan is gonna be to bust their ass inside

He says he thrives on the big time situations though...

and really theres no pressure on him...we've already guaranteed the split

Could be interesting...literally nothing he does will surprise me...he could throw a no hitter...or he could walk the first 7 guys in a row on 28 straight balls and get pulled...

Is anybody really that surprised that Philly won last night? I for one am not. I took at shot with Kazmir but I knew I was playing with fire going against Hamels. Some of you Philly backers make it seem like the series is over. Now the real fun begins. I am taking the over 8.5 tonight. I can see a Rays win tonight but the price is too steep. GL with the play Cap.

and just as a side note...seriously...even if i wasnt a phillies fan, but just as someone watching the game...those cowbells have to be the dumbest idea ever...most annoying thing ive ever heard

and as a slight dig on tampa...the local paper felt it necessary to explain the game of baseball to its readers...the first thing on this list is explaining what a 'batting average' is - http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/oct/22/s6-baseball-primer/

also as an FYI, its looking increasingly likely that Saturdays game gets postponed (which would mean theyd push game 4 and 5 back a day, and scrap the off day for travel on Tuesday...) Forecast looks awful

Is anybody really that surprised that Philly won last night? I for one am not. I took at shot with Kazmir but I knew I was playing with fire going against Hamels. Some of you Philly backers make it seem like the series is over. Now the real fun begins. I am taking the over 8.5 tonight. I can see a Rays win tonight but the price is too steep. GL with the play Cap.

I like the over tonight as well

Smoke...I live in Tampa and I am embarrassed by the cowbells and how the fans seem to not know shit about baseball. I mean why get interviewed if you don't know the game of baseball. Dumbasses.

ATP- like the over as well, but like smoke pointed out, myers very hit or miss....
so just in case he pitches a gem tonight and sneaks out a close win im not trying to have all my eggs in one basket.

fuck totals i already got mine yesterday. had the push in the 1st 5 under, bottom of 5th 2 out, lookin good. then bartlett walk, barlett steals second, iwamura singles him in and i lost.

i do like your strategy though. we are both leaning towards myers imploding and you have it essentially at -110 while i laid -161 and the RL.

smokedawwwgggggg- like the fact that the game will be pushed back, can only be good for phills backers/fans right? more rest for cole.

always value your thoughts on the phills, youve been pretty spot on on them all season. i think this environment and tampa team is the type that could give myers the shits and really rattle him. bad matchup for him

but like you said philly is freerolling, already guaranteed the split with 3 to come at CB park, which is exactly what manuel wanted.

people keep fucking discrediting him but he knows exactly what hes doing.
he gets his hit-or-miss pitcher on the mound after his ace won game one, instead of wasting one of his more consistent arms. on the road, in a free-roll situation. love the idea and win or lose i think it was a great idea

Smoke...I live in Tampa and I am embarrassed by the cowbells and how the fans seem to not know shit about baseball. I mean why get interviewed if you don't know the game of baseball. Dumbasses.

bandwagon fans that have no clue about baseball, and probably didnt give 2 shits about the rays till the ALCS

at least youve been committed to them - definitely respect that

Just took the Rays for the series at +130. Figured Hamels would win and I would get better odds than the -155 before the series started.

As for tonight, I see things opening up a bit. Doubt Philly leaves 100 men on base like last night but I also doubt they put up 10 runs. Shields has been nails but I can see him giving up a couple of runs. The X factor for my over play is Myers. I am banking on him to blow up. I can see a final score of something like 6-4. Both bullpens were used a little last night so if one pitcher shits a brick then the over is looking better by the inning.

Just took the Rays for the series at +130. Figured Hamels would win and I would get better odds than the -155 before the series started.

As for tonight, I see things opening up a bit. Doubt Philly leaves 100 men on base like last night but I also doubt they put up 10 runs. Shields has been nails but I can see him giving up a couple of runs. The X factor for my over play is Myers. I am banking on him to blow up. I can see a final score of something like 6-4. Both bullpens were used a little last night so if one pitcher shits a brick then the over is looking better by the inning.

I think thats about right. Similar thoughts here as well

Ill say shields gives up 2 in 6 IP and the pen gives up 1, and go witha 7-3 rays final.

worked out well!
this is the only time i will play tampa this series.

series has worked out perfectly so far, shields gave a great effort but the pen was shaky again

also 1-26 RISP will change. phills are comin home now.....

great for phills momentum going to CB park, as they got to price and tampa still has no set "closer"
like we said, TB bullpen will be the achhiles heel this series for them

and yeah, phills pen, so far, has yet to give up a run.

on to game 3.
WHICH I WILL NOT HAVE A PLAY ON

(obviously will be rooting for philly)

Last edited:
caught sleeping and wanted to add more on phills to win it all yesterday @ +110, but w/ football and drinking it didnt happen. went to G&G in the city last night to show my roomate from richmond a good time. it was a fuckin blast, and after leaving we got home just in time to see the start of the bottom 9th, really was perfect timing and couldnt have been a better night

anyways, i still like the phills tonight, and if they get the W they have cole in the mound to close it out in game 6.... so @ -175 up 2-1 with 2 games still to go at CB park, i bit and added some more on that

what i didnt like yesterday, was checking the recap and seeing some of the arms manuel brought in, he got kind of complacent with that 4-1 lead, and almost shit the bed. would have liked to see condrey in over eyre and DURBIN for sure.

good thing is, lidge didnt even have to pitch last night.

since balfour and bradshaw both saw action yesterday, you have to think we will see PRICE tonight, and i really think CB park is going to rattle the fuck out of him and give him troubles. phills hit him pretty well in game 2 and have the momentum

i did get to catch the first inning yesterday, and from what i saw culbreth was giving moyer those corners and really was the difference in why he was so effective.
everyone was right

took philly for a small wager, 60/60

GL fellas.

just dont think tampa can win this series with the small ball, and that this environment in CB park is too much for the young fellas

stolen bases and ground balls to advance the runner is not going to do it... pena, longoria, and upton (although hes been getting on base), all have struggled with the longball this series and their offense is paying for it.
longoria i dont even think has a hit yet in this WS.
the youngins played above their heads in boston as the bats were red hot, but are coming back to earth. while its been a close series, think philly squeaks it out.

timely HR's, the better bullpen, and cole hamels (MVP) in game 6, will get it done. GL

oh btw, if the phills dont win this game, im going LARGE on cole tomorrow.
and even if they do win, ill still back him, even w/ the series wagers pending.

GL cap. Pretty crazy that TB has win the opening game when you go by travel just twice so far . Like 1st game at CHI and vs 1st game at home vs CHI. Here they lost both the 1st games , vs Boston they lost the home ones but won @ Fenway . So thats 1-4 the past 5 1st games .

So in the playoffs 2-5 in the 1st game at a destination and 6-0 in the 2nd game .....

GL cap. Pretty crazy that TB has win the opening game when you go by travel just twice so far . Like 1st game at CHI and vs 1st game at home vs CHI. Here they lost both the 1st games , vs Boston they lost the home ones but won @ Fenway . So thats 1-4 the past 5 1st games .

So in the playoffs 2-5 in the 1st game at a destination and 6-0 in the 2nd game .....

Interesting stat, thanks nut.

Doesnt surprise me either, a young team would be inclined to play more "tight" and be overwhelmed in game ones in a new environment on the road, and then settle down and go back to playing with their backs against the wall like they have most of this postseason run.

Makes sense. Nerves and inexperience lead to tightness at the plate and holding back, but after that goes away they settle in, get comfortable, confidence returns, and play their game.

Good stuff, although i hope the trend ends tonight:smiley_acbe:

well, we've got one more game to go.

so far, this series has gone exactly as expected.

tampa has shown me that a lot of those HR's that upton and longo hit off boston were due to scouting reports and the fact that these two divisional rivals met so many times during the regular season (as posted above) and know eachother so well. they knew exactly what pitches to look for when each sp/rp took the mound.

the phillies pen has been superb, and a huge factor here, and had it not been for manuel getting complacent with a lead yesterday, they would have given up ZERO runs so far this WS. thats fuckin sick, considering the fact they didnt even need lidge in the first 2 games at CB park, which is even more sick!!

im pounding the fuck out of cole tomorrow. ML, RL, and possibly -2.5.
JROLL finally stepped it up and was getting on base often tonight, and finally howard's bat caught fire tonight too.
the felix at bat was important when victorino shit the bed and popped up, almost stranded a golden opportunity with men at the corners w/ no out, but sonny hung a curve that stayed up in the zone right over the plate and ruiz singled to bring in utley.

so now the RISP curse is over, they can get that Mouse off their back. the phills are at home, we're theyre comfortable. with the most dominant postseason pitcher this season, who will keep you guessing as he changes speeds with the best of em, and a rested lidge who hasnt pitched since game 1!

we knew the rays would have trouble at CB park. this is one of the toughest, if not the, toughest stadium to play at and the phills know exactly how to work this hitters ballpark. the rays, with longo and pena still yet to find a hit this series, have "deer in headlights" look, and this train is coming to an end for the inexperienced youngins, they look overmatched and outclassed. theyre just not comfortable, the phills have totally taken them off their game.

would i be wrong to think the phills win in huge fashion to take this one home IN philly and close it out now for the home crowd???? the bats are scorching hot and the rays are quite the opposite. IMO, philly puts on another show tomorrow to close this out. if kaz leaves the ball up in the zone, like hes had troubles with in the past, this game is going to be a HR hittign clinic.

plus howard and rollins gettin hot tonight is probably the best possible thing for the phills. now the offense is clicking on all cylinders. they just have so much consistency in that lineup

just a heads up, philly RL is +125 at the moment. just hit it and will add ML in the AM.

i expect this thing to get hit HARD, and by gametime probably see somewhere around even $$.

if you like philly, hit them now or in the AM. remember, alot of tampa chase money from TB series wagers, and game by game, is going to be on philly.

the public has rode tampa into the ground this series and got hit badly.
now, theyll back cole to try to cut their losses. would not be surprised to see 80% consensus on philly, but i understand why.

CapTwo - I'm glad for your team, I really am.

As I've said from beginning - both of those teams play with their hearts, they are kind and cool guys, the thing is - the Phillies just got HOT at the moment while it seems like the Rays might be still drained from that breath-taking series vs Boston.

That's why I believe Phillies gets it done on Monday.

I'm just a bit angry on myself for losing money in games 2 and 3.
Should've listened to my gut feeling, as I've said in my first response in your thread:

Actually my gut tells me Phillies.

Go Phillies!

CapTwo - I'm glad for your team, I really am.

As I've said from beginning - both of those teams play with their hearts, they are kind and cool guys, the thing is - the Phillies just got HOT at the moment while it seems like the Rays might be still drained from that breath-taking series vs Boston.

That's why I believe Phillies gets it done on Monday.

I'm just a bit angry on myself for losing money in games 2 and 3.
Should've listened to my gut feeling, as I've said in my first response in your thread:

Go Phillies!

Thanks bro! And yeah your gut instinct was right!

The phillies arent necessarily "my team", but ive been pulling for either them or the angels to win it this postseason. And when the angels went out early it was phills. Just a lot of vets and exciting players that are mostly class acts, and deserve a pennant.

Its no different then when i was "rooting" for boston to win the NBA finals, was great to see KG and pierce get a ring.

in my picture, shane victorino, IS one of my fav players in the MLB though, love watching him play.

hope you win back some of your early losses w/ cole tonight and Lets hope they close it out tonight:cheers:

Just locked in on my phills ML bet.

Its all on the table. If the phills can win by 2 or more ill hit the ML, RL, and 2 series bets.

I just dont see guys like pena and longoria breaking out of their hitless slumps, with COLE on the mound. This is a guy who changes speeds and direction like the best of them, and is quite the OPPOSITE of what you want to see.
For them to get back in a groove they need to see someone like WAKEFIELD out there hahah.
How are they going to find a groove with a guy that can change speeds perfectly w/ his changeup, and also blow his fastball by you, all the same time with near-perfect location on all his pitches. This is one of the LAST pitchers who will give you a good pitch to hit.

Tampa is 4-12 in Last 16 road games against LHSP.... and hitting only .231 for the season against LHSP on the road and .199 in L10 games against LHSP.

Tampa is done. They look beaten, they look demoralized. I dont even think they believe they can win anymore, just look at their demeanor and facial expressions on the field.

No way these tampa hitters get out of their respective slumps agains tthe most dominant postseason pitcher in baseball this year. philsl are 6-0 at CB park this playoffs, and hamels 4-0 w/ 1.55 ERA. SICK.

Phills bring it home tonight fellas, and celebrate with and for their fans at CB.... GL

Cap-The good news is that if the Phillies can do this, it clearly isn't impossible for the New York Jets to get their second title.

:36_11_6:

The more I see of favre, and his timely red-zone INT's, the more skeptical i become.

Thanks to his INT's we almost lost to the worst road team in all of football yesterday.

You raise a good point though, miracles can happen!:prayer
Although i wouldnt be surprised to see the cubs win a WS before the jets win the SB hahah

Agree Cap. TB is done. A little surprised their bats when in a slump. I didn't expect 16 hr's (ALCS) but 0-whatever by the big three??? Kudos to Philly. Moyer, Blanton and Myers were huge. I took TB series after Game 1 so I'll be hedging tonight with Philly RL. GL tonight. Hopefully it's not a 1 run game tonight.

Just locked in on my phills ML bet.

Its all on the table. If the phills can win by 2 or more ill hit the ML, RL, and 2 series bets.

I just dont see guys like pena and longoria breaking out of their hitless slumps, with COLE on the mound. This is a guy who changes speeds and direction like the best of them, and is quite the OPPOSITE of what you want to see.
For them to get back in a groove they need to see someone like WAKEFIELD out there hahah.
How are they going to find a groove with a guy that can change speeds perfectly w/ his changeup, and also blow his fastball by you, all the same time with near-perfect location on all his pitches. This is one of the LAST pitchers who will give you a good pitch to hit.

Tampa is 4-12 in Last 16 road games against LHSP.... and hitting only .231 for the season against LHSP on the road and .199 in L10 games against LHSP.

Tampa is done. They look beaten, they look demoralized. I dont even think they believe they can win anymore, just look at their demeanor and facial expressions on the field.

No way these tampa hitters get out of their respective slumps agains tthe most dominant postseason pitcher in baseball this year. philsl are 6-0 at CB park this playoffs, and hamels 4-0 w/ 1.55 ERA. SICK.

Phills bring it home tonight fellas, and celebrate with and for their fans at CB.... GL

Cap make it rain tonight Sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:tiphat:

Back