Pelicans Hire Alvin Gentry as HC

I think it's a great hire for a good defensive team, that needs offensive upgrade like NO needs.

Always liked Gentry as a players coach.

He wasn't a defensive coach here like 16 years ago.

Good dude tho imo.

------

Haven;t really been following but I thought their targets were Thibs and Cal...

I think that many teams don't want Thibs. Chicago hinted that he is a coach that doesn't care about what GM wants from his team and not many GMs are looking for such a coach to hire.
Even Magic, that hired Skilles, a similar type of coach, didn't want to take Thibs.

I would like to see Thibs on a one contract deal with the Lakers. Him and Kobe should see eye to eye on everything...
But not more than a year. One year to coach Kobe + teach young talent Randel and 2nd pick and Black and Clarkson and then... move on...

Gentry is the main reason why GSW look as good as they are. He was in charge of their offense and Jackson is the one who got them to be good on defense.
I'm not saying that Kerr doesn't deserve credit, biggest he deserves it, but from that to saying that Gentry is terrible...
He was good as Suns coach imo and great offensive coach for the Warriors and that should be good enough for the Pels.
I don't see a reason, why a team with Davis and Asik (if he comes back), needs a good defensive coach. They need good offense and Gentry will provide just that.

He's exactly what you described, a good assistant coach. He couldn't manage a farm of pigs.

I think that many teams don't want Thibs. Chicago hinted that he is a coach that doesn't care about what GM wants from his team and not many GMs are looking for such a coach to hire.
Even Magic, that hired Skilles, a similar type of coach, didn't want to take Thibs.

I would like to see Thibs on a one contract deal with the Lakers. Him and Kobe should see eye to eye on everything...
But not more than a year. One year to coach Kobe + teach young talent Randel and 2nd pick and Black and Clarkson and then... move on...

You want the lakers to fire Byron ( pay out the remainder of his contract) bring in thibs on a one year deal to coach a team where the ceiling is 30 wins.

You want the lakers to fire Byron ( pay out the remainder of his contract) bring in thibs on a one year deal to coach a team where the ceiling is 30 wins.

Lakers will win between 40 to 50 wins this season imho. They lost the draft pick, will have two top prospects in Okafor and Rendell, one max or close to max player and what is left of Kobe and Clarkson, Black and others on top of that. They will be a decent team I believe.

Lakers will win between 40 to 50 wins this season imho. They lost the draft pick, will have two top prospects in Okafor and Rendell, one max or close to max player and what is left of Kobe and Clarkson, Black and others on top of that. They will be a decent team I believe.

Assuming no big free agent signings , next year is basically a Kobe farewell tour. Jeannie has said as much.

I don't believe that assumption. What's big? Millsap or players of his level should also be good enough as worst case scenario, to avoid the bottom of the West...

We are sidetracking the thread, but basically, this huge season for the Lakers.
Draft pick is only Top 3 protected, so we can assume it's gone.
2016 summer is the main goal for the Lakers.
It's one thing to come there off 40+ wins season, looking for someone to pass the torch from Kobe and it's another to come off 30 wins season, with no future and no one wanting to come to LA.
Just pray that big name won't be Rondo, since he is not a big name at all...

Who is better?
JVG? Probably - but lately many teams tried to lure him back to coaching and he isn't in a hurry.
Thibs? Is much much worse. I like him, but Thibs as HC of an injury prone team? Doesn't sound like a good idea.
Who else? There aren't that many great names. I wish Sloan would be back. He is a great coach and could have been a great coach for AD.

Shitty hire. Gentry is a bum

And divol trying to top tip as homer of the yr.
Shut up about the Lakers please

Who is better?
JVG? Probably - but lately many teams tried to lure him back to coaching and he isn't in a hurry.
Thibs? Is much much worse. I like him, but Thibs as HC of an injury prone team? Doesn't sound like a good idea.
Who else? There aren't that many great names. I wish Sloan would be back. He is a great coach and could have been a great coach for AD.

Well to be fair to them it looks like they made a good run at Hoiberg.

Sloan is 72, I don't think he could relate with young nba players nowadays

I think it all depends on player's approach. He is methodical and defense oriented, but not as driven as Thibs and better coach on offense than Thibs.
I think that on a young team, without players with star maners, he could be the right man for the job.

Well to be fair to them it looks like they made a good run at Hoiberg.

Sloan is 72, I don't think he could relate with young nba players nowadays

Why not another college coach and not cal or pitino..?
maybe AD was a little involved on decision??

really no reason for a younger coach to commit without AD signing an extension...

Gentry an okay hire, will not get them a championship but will get them out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

Wonder what the thinking is with Hoiberg and the Bulls. Not that I've watched that much Cyclone basketball, but doesn't seem like the current Bulls roster really meshes with his style of play (doesn't he usually go with a three guard set?). I guess Gasol could be the equivalent of Niang, but not sure who the 3 point threats are going to be (McDermott, if healthy, I guess). Guess a lot will depend on whether Butler decides to stay or not.

Plus, didn't really work out that great the last time they poached a HC from ISU...

so dumb, the brow will be on his way out of new orleans soon
i used to think so, but I doubt it

aren't the next contracts tilted so that teams in the Pels' position can offer more money? Honestly, the Pels are set up ok going forward....a few tweaks sure, but they are set to make noise

really no reason for a younger coach to commit without AD signing an extension...
everything reported here was NO.....but who knows. I have to think they asked.

As for Thibs.....he wants control I would think and Dell Demps ain't doing that....weird dynamic here with Loomis and the Saints and Benson owning both squads....

Everyone seems to think AD will re-up here

Coach cal is going cost a lot of money , plus he wants control ..

Has to see some better options than gentry

Gentry doesn't make sense for a team that doesn't play defense. Would have done whatever it took to get Van Gundy. Thank all that is holy that Thibs isn't allowed to ruin AD's career by playing him 45 minutes a night.

Man people gotta stop hiring retreads. Annoys me to no end.

I really like this squad and ad, just think it's stupid to hire someone who is worse than his predecessor.

i used to think so, but I doubt it

aren't the next contracts tilted so that teams in the Pels' position can offer more money? Honestly, the Pels are set up ok going forward....a few tweaks sure, but they are set to make noise

The Pelicans needed someone to make AD get to the next level offensively. He has the ability to be an all time great and I really don't think he's going to want to spend the best years of his career with an organization that isn't going anywhere. Was hoping they got JVG.

The New Orleans Pelicans are moving quickly to assemble a coaching staff to surround Alvin Gentry, reaching an agreement in principle with Boston Celtics assistant Darren Erman to become associate head coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Erman, who will oversee the Pelicans' defense, informed Celtics officials on Tuesday morning that he had accepted the job with New Orleans, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

A disciple of ex-Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, Erman was the architect of a Golden State Warriors defense that developed into one of the league’s juggernauts.
When Erman took over the Golden State defense, he transformed a 26th-ranked unit to 11th in 2012-13, and ultimately third in 2013-14. Erman worked under Thibodeau and later Lawrence Frank with the Boston Celtics as members of coach Doc Rivers’ staff.

Several Golden State players, including Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes, point to Erman's individual work as a key asset to their development.

Erman spent the 2014-15 season on Brad Stevens' staff with the Boston Celtics, where the defense showed significant improvement. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has been a proponent of Erman's, and brought him back for a second tour in 2014-15 to work under Brad Stevens.

The Toronto Raptors recently pursued Erman to become defensive coordinator under Dwane Casey, sources said, but the chance to become associate head coach with Gentry and work with superstar Anthony Davis apparently swayed him.

i personally wanted gentry over thibs, prior to JVG being in the mix.

The offense he brings should bring more fans and the team needs that.
I dont see Tyreke working in any sort of offense that involves giving the ball up to teammates though.

who shouldve the pelicans hired if it wasnt Gentry, no one said a single name.

i personally wanted gentry over thibs, prior to JVG being in the mix.

The offense he brings should bring more fans and the team needs that.
I dont see Tyreke working in any sort of offense that involves giving the ball up to teammates though.

who shouldve the pelicans hired if it wasnt Gentry, no one said a single name.

I mentioned JVG and I would have done whatever it took to bring him on board. I don't like Tyreke and he doesn't fit into what Demps and Gentry envision on offense with his lack of 3 point shooting though he moved the ball better this year than in years past. Would have never traded Robin Lopez for him and still hate that deal and they had to address the lack of a true center by adding Asik last offseason.

Wouldn't resign Asik if he is really going to get 10 mil a year, Koufos is better and will be cheaper and what I'm hoping for is that the Spurs deal Splitter to you guys so we have the room/cap space to sign either Aldridge or Marc Gasol. Splitter would be an upgrade over Asik and is set to make 8.5 million a year for 2 more seasons.

I like NO's Evans much more than I liked Kings Evans. He is much more willing passer than he was in Sacramento and while he has mediocre shooting, he gives you everything else - passing, rebounds, steals, drives to the hoop. He also has really nice size for a PG (when he plays one) or very nice floor vision if he is SF.

yea I liked Tyreke this year

yall see Eric Gordon fitting in?

Also, Asik needs to go I guess....major major let down here in NO

Id take Splitter AZ....

we need something, but we have NO DRAFT picks

I like what Asik and Anderson allows Pels coach to do.
They can go super big with Anderson as SF and can go small with Anderson as PF and Davis as Center and a lot of options in the middle.
Asik is a good defender and his problems on offense are nothing new...

I like what Asik and Anderson allows Pels coach to do.
They can go super big with Anderson as SF and can go small with Anderson as PF and Davis as Center and a lot of options in the middle.
Asik is a good defender and his problems on offense are nothing new...

then why piss away 10 million of your cap for Asik when he is one dimensional? ......

yea I liked Tyreke this year

yall see Eric Gordon fitting in?

Also, Asik needs to go I guess....major major let down here in NO

Id take Splitter AZ....

we need something, but we have NO DRAFT picks

Really liked Tyreke this year, and end of last year.. has become a very good team player as Divol mentions above... sometimes a change of scenery is all you need,,,

Cole was a solid addition to the team that needed backup help at the pg... and that is what he is a backup pg who could end up with a 15 year nba career being very good at it..

Either Gordon or evans gets traded.... Jrue is your pg the other 2 are shooting guards but only one can play pg (Evans - he needs to develop a 3pt shot). Gordon was finally healthy this year and it showed.. He was shooting pretty well..and is in the last year of a contract (player option) and only 26... he just seems to always be hurt...same with Jrue..but when healthy has more value..

Maybe you're right. It depends on what you can get in return.

That guy doesnt need to be great.. He will be playing besides AD...... I am throwing up as I write this but look at Perkins gave you when he played next to a younger/healthier Garnet.

Back