Patriots vs. Jets Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Patriots vs. Jets Thursday Night Football Picks: The Patriots Are Road Warriors

New England Patriots vs. New York Jets
Thursday, September 19, 2024 at 8:15 p.m. ET at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford

What We've Seen From The Patriots

New England's offensive attack lacks high-profile player names and can hardly be considered explosive, so it is easy to dislike the Patriots' chances in a given game.

And yet, the Patriots are almost 2-0.

In Week 1, they stunned the Bengals.

Most recently, they almost pulled off another upset when they took Seattle to overtime.

The Patriots, who are 2-0 ATS so far, are competing and exceeding expectations because they can rely, in place of an explosive pass attack, on efficient running and strong defense.

What We've Seen From The Jets

Before I get into discussing how the Patriots, precisely because they don't rely on having awesome wide receivers, match up excellently against the Jets, I want to make a broader point based on how the season has developed so far.

By following these two teams through two weeks, it strikes me as ridiculous that the Jets are being favored this heavily against New England.

So far, New York has been dominated by the 49ers. The Jets were down 32-13 before their garbage-time touchdown right before regulation concluded.

Then, the Jets beat a Titans team that, frighteningly, looked like it could win.

Tennesse's quarterback, Will Levis, arguably cost his team the game by committing a middle school-level mistake when he threw a lateral with his team in field goal position, allowing the Jets to regain possession.

The Titans, a winless team that nobody expects to sniff the postseason, were able to make enough plays through the air and on the ground to outgain the Jets by 35 yards and, at the very least, can be said to have played them evenly.

General Takeaways

We've learned from the Patriots that they are able to compete with playoff-caliber teams because they have a tough defense that limits the scoring of star-studded offenses and a sufficiently
effective offense that puts up just about enough points to win.

On the contrary, the Jets are struggling to compete even against teams like the Titans.

With their weak offensive attack and their significant problems on defense, they absolutely do not look like they should be favored this heavily against New England.

Jets' Run Defense

One specific problem that is plaguing New York is its run defense.

In Week 1, the Jets made San Francisco's backup running back Jordan Mason look very good.

In that game against the 49ers, New York allowed 180 rushing yards on 38 carries, as the 49ers continually pounded the rock.

After the Week 1 catastrophe, Jets defenders pledged to improve against the run.

They failed, however, to inspire confidence in their run defense.

Despite facing a team with a quarterback whose arm does not command the respect of opposing defenses, who has looked like a bust so far thanks not only to his terrible decisions but also thanks to his general inaccuracy and lack of productivity as a passer, the Jets allowed Tennessee to amass 130 rushing yards on 28 carries.

The Jets struggled with run defense last year, as evident in their ranking of 25th against the run, and they clearly seem to have the same weakness. They currently rank, you guessed it, 25th against the run.

New England's Preference on Offense

It is important to emphasize this weakness of New York's defense, because the Patriots love to run the ball.

They own the fifth-highest run-play percentage and rank fourth with 177.5 rushing yards per game.

In order to thrive on the ground, they rely on two starting-caliber running backs: Antonio Gibson and Rhamondre Stevenson.

This duo must be very excited to face the Jets.

Jacoby Brissett's Abilities

All we need is a quarterback who won't made dumb decisions like Levis.

New England's starting quarterback is not going to wow people, and that's ok, because he is also going to avoid costing his team points and gifting the Jets points by turning the ball over like Levis does.

Brissett has thrown zero interceptions so far and committed zero fumbles.

New England's Tight Ends

The strongest element of New York's defense is its cornerback room.

Quarterbacks facing the Jets must be unlikable when they want to rely on their wide receivers to do well against the Jets' well-reputed cornerbacks.

Brissett is not such a quarterback.

Folks want to criticize the quality of New England's pass attack, but the criticism actually expresses something that will be good for the Patriots in this game. They primarily do not even want to rely on their wide receivers.

Instead of challenging Jets cornerbacks, they'll want to lean on their tight ends.

Expect Brissett to lean on the well-sized targets Austin Hooper and especially Hunter Henry.

Henry is coming off a game in which he caught eight passes for 109 yards. He evidently enjoys strong chemistry with his quarterback.

The takeaway here is that New York barely held off the Titans while benefitting from a mistake-prone quarterback who needed to lean on his wide receivers. The Patriots' quarterback will be more secure and will lean on his talented tight end group.

New York's Weak Offense

The Jets have failed to sniff 300 total yards of offense in any of its games so far.

Aaron Rodgers has not shown any of the dangerousness that he did in his MVP-caliber days.

Coming off an extended injury-induced absence, he has looked physically less talented. His mobility is restricted. He lacks the confidence to throw the ball downfield, as evident in his low IAY (average intended air yards) total.

Rodgers is also not getting help from an efficient running game – New York ranks 20th in YPC.

Speaking of wide receiver groups, the Patriots might lack any good wide receivers, but the Jets really have only one who is in-shape in Garrett Wilson, and this is not enough.

Christian Gonzalez

Garrett Wilson, New York's only good and in-shape wide receiver, will be a non-factor in this game thanks to the strong cornerback play of Christian Gonzalez, New England's first-round selection from 2023.

When the Patriots beat New York 15-10 in the Jets' venue last year, Gonzalez held Wilson to 19 receiving yards before Wilson accrued 29 more yards with New England in prevent mode as the game neared its end.

This was the only time that these two players competed against each other, and I don't see what should change this year.

Gonzalez locked down Ja'Marr Chase in Week 1 of this season, just as he also owned his matchup against fellow star wide receiver Tyreek Hill last year.

At 6'1, he is a well-sized cornerback who thrives against smaller wide receivers against whom he can make use of his length and general size advantage.

New England's Rush Defense

So, the Jets won't be able to make use of their one good and in-form pass-catcher, but they'll also struggle on the ground.

As one of two teams to be allowing fewer than 60 rushing yards per game, New England owns the second-best run defense.

The Patriots benefit here from the presence of Davon Godchaux on the inside.

His presence allows his teammates to make tackles more easily, one prominent example being linebacker Anfernee Jennings, whose run-stopping metrics and PFF run defense grades provide evidence of his success against the run.

Jennings is a valuable defender who, among other things, will set the edge in order to limit the running back's options.

Folks thought that New England's defense might regress without Bill Belichick.

However, the defense is continuing to thrive, as its defensive line and linebacker coaches from last year have been promoted this year, and as it relies on solid defensive backs like Gonzalez plus the safety duo of Kyle Dugger and Jabrill Peppers, whose PFF grades indicate their excellence especially against the run but also in coverage.

Takeaways

New York's struggles against the 49ers and Titans along with New England's competitiveness so far make it apparent that oddsmakers have a lot of adjusting to do – they are giving the Jets way too much respect and the Patriots too little.

New England is 2-0 ATS because of its strong run game and defense.

New York is a great candidate to struggle against the Patriots' running back group. The Patriots also match up well against the Jets because they can lean on their tight ends and avoid challenging the strongest members of New York's defense.

Meanwhile, the entirety of New England's defense will thrive, with Gonzalez matching up well against New York's one dangerous pass-catcher and with the Patriots' rush defense remaining unchallenged.

The Jets will struggle mightily to score, while the Patriots will easily be effective enough in order to cover.

Best Bet: Patriots +6.5 at -112 with BetOnline

Settling into ugly Thursday night games..

6.5 points is nice to have in a ugly Thu game! Jets run d ain’t been great, allowing 17 to titans ain’t exactly impressive, fuckers came a half point and titans in red zone at end from royally pissing me off. If this isn’t an ugly ass rock fight I dunno what other game would be?? 37.5 kinda feels high, 20-17 seems like the high side of what this game could be! Geno and those beast WRs in Seattle put up numbers but I don’t see jets passing offense looking close to that! You have to be on crack to lay 6.5 here! And not good crack either! lol.

Like feels insane. I have this as a pickem

Pats win that game Sunday if they don't bust a coverage. Pass d was little less then desired.

They were facing 3 insanely good WRs and dare I say a better qb (at the moment anyways!) other than the outrageously stupid plays Levis always makes he overall had a better game throwing than Rodgers and Levis is awful! Really all pats have to worry bout far as deep passing is always having a safety over the top on Wilson. Sure hall will do some work but that perfect, we know pats will chew up clock w their run game.,this line is way more jets hype than substance! They were lucky Levis awful or that game coulda went to ot. I’m 100% had pats played titans they woulda controlled that game way better than jets did!!

Supposed to be very windy and good chance of rain to boot. +6.5 makes sense as does under 38 or whatever it is or even goes down to. Won't be surprised to see a below 30 scoreline.

Supposed to be very windy and good chance of rain to boot. +6.5 makes sense as does under 38 or whatever it is or even goes down to. Won't be surprised to see a below 30 scoreline.

Yea not at all shocked, 20-17 feels like the absolute high side. 16-13 very possible

Not gonna lie the pats money line is pretty tempting. Id put it like this, if jets don’t improve from the game they played Sunday I think they get beat.

On paper the Jets should blow out trash teams like New England but they are impossible to trust with the high school level coaching staff they are currently employing.

They were facing 3 insanely good WRs and dare I say a better qb (at the moment anyways!) other than the outrageously stupid plays Levis always makes he overall had a better game throwing than Rodgers and Levis is awful! Really all pats have to worry bout far as deep passing is always having a safety over the top on Wilson. Sure hall will do some work but that perfect, we know pats will chew up clock w their run game.,this line is way more jets hype than substance! They were lucky Levis awful or that game coulda went to ot. I’m 100% had pats played titans they woulda controlled that game way better than jets did!!
Come on Aaron even at this point in his career is still far better than Geno Smith.

We haven't seen the Jets @ home yet.

You think that really makes a massive difference? Even oddsmakers have knocked down home field points to next to nothing at some venues. Hell, it could be worse for them at home, nothing jacks a team up like getting booed by your own fans! Lol

Come on Aaron even at this point in his career is still far better than Geno Smith.

He prob is, he hasn’t been yet was my point. I don’t think jets have the wr weapons Seattle does tho! Seattle has 3 insanely talented WRs you be hard pressed to find many better, think they even have a pretty good 4th if one the 3 gets hurt!

If I had any trust in the coaching staff I would recommend the Jets -6.5 and them as a possible survivor play. The only two concerns I would have are being outcoached (probably not an issue with New England not exactly being led by someone good) and the weather as rain always throws things in the air.

If I had any trust in the coaching staff I would recommend the Jets -6.5 and them as a possible survivor play. The only two concerns I would have are being outcoached (probably not an issue with New England not exactly being led by someone good) and the weather as rain always throws things in the air.

I rather chop off a finger than use jets as a survivor play this week

The only good that can come from this season as a Jets fan is Saleh and Hackett both getting fired and them finally hiring someone that I approve of. As of today the only two coaches I am interested in interviewing are Ben Johnson and Bobby Slowik.

The only good that can come from this season as a Jets fan is Saleh and Hackett both getting fired and them finally hiring someone that I approve of. As of today the only two coaches I am interested in interviewing are Ben Johnson and Bobby Slowik.

Given their history what makes you think they would hire a good coach? And I got news for ya, long as Rodgers there he picking the coach.

Given their history what makes you think they would hire a good coach? And I got news for ya, long as Rodgers there he picking the coach.
I absolutely have no belief that they will hire a good coach but I have to hope to be wrong. Aaron has two choices after this season, accept whoever the new coach is or retire.

I absolutely have no belief that they will hire a good coach but I have to hope to be wrong. Aaron has two choices after this season, accept whoever the new coach is or retire.

I mean that sounds good but it’s pretty clear he running the show up there.

I really don't see Rodgers making it through the season without serious injury. He can still throw the ball but the mobility is gone after the achilles injury.

don't give up on your team yet
once your qb gets the right formula of ben g a y you might get more than expected.

still, HF 5-1 in primetime.
I'm in full on tank mode to get rid of the coaching staff. This team has no chance of winning a Super Bowl so the next best thing is getting rid of Saleh.

I wouldn't play the Patriots here with someone else's money. So many injuries on both sides of the ball. That being said I feel fortunate the Jets covered lw and might not want to push my luck with this team. Still I think this is a game where Breece could take over last year he went for 178. GL all

If there isn't a lot of rain I expect a Jets blowout win but if the weather is bad I would stay away altogether.

I think I would seriously bet the pats just to fade this comment buddy. Not your thoughts on game so much but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard you predict one your teams to win! Lets just say you ain’t the most rational fan, you not the enthusiastic type who always says only good things, you the exact opposite of that, you the fan who always thinks the worst!! Neither type is usually very good at predicting their teams success. I seriously wouldn’t bet teams I was a fan of if I had either those traits, luckily I’m not much a fan of any team outside the baseball cardinals but I’m much more pragmatic w my fandom, I just tell the truth bout my team good or bad, sadly it been a lot of bad and getting worse for my baseball cardinals as I predicted. I rather they be good but most important to me is making money off them! Lol.

When should we expect you in baseball forum to tell us how fast brewers will be knocked out of playoffs? By the way I totally agree with anything bad you have to say bout them, u think they might win 1 playoff game, maybe!! They fade city against all the nl wild card teams don’t ya think???

I think I would seriously bet the pats just to fade this comment buddy. Not your thoughts on game so much but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard you predict one your teams to win! Lets just say you ain’t the most rational fan, you not the enthusiastic type who always says only good things, you the exact opposite of that, you the fan who always thinks the worst!! Neither type is usually very good at predicting their teams success. I seriously wouldn’t bet teams I was a fan of if I had either those traits, luckily I’m not much a fan of any team outside the baseball cardinals but I’m much more pragmatic w my fandom, I just tell the truth bout my team good or bad, sadly it been a lot of bad and getting worse for my baseball cardinals as I predicted. I rather they be good but most important to me is making money off them! Lol.

When should we expect you in baseball forum to tell us how fast brewers will be knocked out of playoffs? By the way I totally agree with anything bad you have to say bout them, u think they might win 1 playoff game, maybe!! They fade city against all the nl wild card teams don’t ya think???
While I tend to be negative regarding my teams which is almost always warranted as the Jets are the team with the current longest playoff draught I am also realistic in my thoughts with them. Just looking at the rosters the Jets is far superior and they have a big edge at QB. There is no real edge with coaching as I think both staffs stink.

There is good reason why the Patriots were considered to be a sure thing bottom five team in the league as they have very few good players. The Jets on the other hand have the best roster they have had in at least ten years and a QB that not even Hackett can completely ruin. Certainly I could be wrong as I often am but the Jets are the better team despite the Patriots outplaying their level the first two weeks and I am expecting a convincing win.

@VirginiaCavs as usual did a great job with his preview article but I disagree with his findings. The under is probably the best play of all but I don't expect New England to even match the 17 that the Titans put up.

Jets 23 Patriots 6

While I tend to be negative regarding my teams which is almost always warranted as the Jets are the team with the current longest playoff draught I am also realistic in my thoughts with them. Just looking at the rosters the Jets is far superior and they have a big edge at QB. There is no real edge with coaching as I think both staffs stink.

There is good reason why the Patriots were considered to be a sure thing bottom five team in the league as they have very few good players. The Jets on the other hand have the best roster they have had in at least ten years and a QB that not even Hackett can completely ruin. Certainly I could be wrong as I often am but the Jets are the better team despite the Patriots outplaying their level the first two weeks and I am expecting a convincing win.

@VirginiaCavs as usual did a great job with his preview article but I disagree with his findings. The under is probably the best play of all but I don't expect New England to even match the 17 that the Titans put up.

Jets 23 Patriots 6

I think it awful premature to assume the pats coaching staff stinks. Couldn’t I argue the fact they playing at a level well above what was expected from them would point to the opposite? What pats do have is a very good running back and for whatever reason jets havnt seemed real interested in shutting down run games, allowing titans 17 and coulda easily been more if Levis wasn’t such a terrible decision maker! Amd titans had the damn ball inside the red zone again at the end does not speak well for that defense to me. Pats won’t make dumb mistakes, yes their qb limited but he also a pro unlike the last kid they faced. Im certainly wrong my fair share as well but this really feels like a rock fight to me. 17-16 somebody! Lol

Back