• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

PaintCrew NCAA Preseason/Week0/Week1 + Purdue notes

PaintCrew

Has Nicer Hair Than Matt Haarms
A new gig has put quite a damper on my prep so take all with a grain of salt but I'll still try to get plays out there each week and track it. Looking forward to Saturday's on the patio with my better half sweating games all day with beers in hand.

Preseason plays:

RSW
2* NC State O7
1* `Ville U8 +114 - This one might feel dicey with Ville more than likely starting 4-0 if they survive the opener at GT but even at that point I think most likely finish would be 4-4 to finish with a push. I'll take the +$ overall on something I see as a coin flip at absolute worst.
1* Zona O5 +113 - Similar with the opposite feelings. I think this lands on 5/6 more often than not and will take the +$ on a coin flip

Homer preseason play - I did this last year too and had a fun sweat in the B1G title game largely simply because I think the west is still very much down and this year while Purdue has dramatically more unknowns there is the small chance of big upside to compete. The schedule is brutal though with both UM/OSU on the slate so they'll have to find a way to handle business against division foes to have a shot.
0.5* Purdue 18-1 B1G west
0.125* Purdue 100-1 B1G
I've put plenty of notes out there on Purdue already and I do still believe there is a wild amount of variance to the good or bad but I am liking the tea leaves coming out of camp. Here's some recent notes or quotes you probably won't get anywhere else.....

• No QBs return from last year
    • obviously this is bad from an AOC moving on to NFL standpoint but the rest of the QB room was garbage.
  • No CBs return from last year
    • I think this is a good thing. Walters has flat out brought in more talent than was here before at probably the worst position group on the roster last year. He ran off the entire group
    • “I’m happy they’re here. Obviously, I think it was an improvement. They came in and some guys left and that’s because they’re good players and so I’m glad they are here.” - Walters
  • Hudson Card has impressed everyone and Coach Walters won't shut up about it. The B1G network crew went over the top as well (i know it means nothing but just sharing)
  • The backup QB (transfer from ASU) has already spend a night in the dunk tank. He is practicing but I'd imagine he'll be serving an unannounced suspension. Long story short especially early in the season it's Hudson Card or bust....
  • Buy Garret Miller (TE) stock. Might be the best NFL prospect on the roster IMO
  • Questions at Center (at least for week 1) as Purdue is down their top 2 C's and might be starting the Colorado OL transfer Austin Johnson against Fresno as the top 2 Centers continue to slowly come back from knee injuries
    • That being side the vibes on the OL including from Walters has been surprisingly positive. 3 returning starters and 5 or 6 experienced transfers have started to come together outside the injury bug at center
    • “I’ve been really impressed with the progress of the offensive line,” said Walters. “Impressed with the understanding of the scheme on defense and then, obviously, I’m impressed with Hudson Card.” - Walters
  • Linebacker group and DL I think are capable comparatively to normal Purdue standards. We'll see how quickly they take to Walters scheme.
  • S is shallow and possibility of a true freshman starting....that's a big concern
Week 0/1 -
Only thing i've played (a while back) is 2* Purdue/Fresno U52.5. I still like it overall and have a few notes on it why in the B1G thread. A couple months back i would've leaned Fresno at +6 or more but as camp as progressed and the line has dropped if I were to play a side I'd lean Purdue at this point (might be black and gold glasses) given a bit better tea leaves than expected overall and honestly Walters has impressed the hell out of me but none of that matters until there are any results...

More to come next week and good luck all!

Last edited:
any news on brohm and ville ? most i've heard think over but would think some transition

purdue - i don't like harrel....hudson card is nice but he had his equal in jt daniels and a better offensive line at west virginia and crapped the bed ! Im looking at purdues transfer starters and not many where starters elsewhere - and they lost some good talent. imo very weak on the lines and harrel struggled when he couldn't run the ball last year at west va

any news on brohm and ville ? most i've heard think over but would think some transition

purdue - i don't like harrel....hudson card is nice but he had his equal in jt daniels and a better offensive line at west virginia and crapped the bed ! Im looking at purdues transfer starters and not many where starters elsewhere - and they lost some good talent. imo very weak on the lines and harrel struggled when he couldn't run the ball last year at west va
No news just my opinion going against what I think is a wildly overbought number. I was fine with it at 7.5 but at a +$ 8 I just can't see how over could be a the right side. A Ron English defense with Jack Plummer at QB and you need 9 wins? Even with that schedule I think you are asking for a lot to go right.

Won't argue with ya on Harrell. You aren't alone with that opinion around here. Purdue definitely lost some good talent but they also lost a ton of dead weight (specifically on Defense in the backfield). I still lean towards a a struggle overall but have come around and do think there's a small chance for some nice upside and why I'm taking a small flyer in the weak west vs messing around with the 5.5 win total.

1-0 +1.5

Saturday
2* Purdue/Fresno U52.5 (played a couple months ago)

• not much time but only Purdue notes include a surprise that Miller TE is not on the depth chart (they are being very careful with his leg injury) with a true F listed as the starter, true F Theinman starting at S,
  • One other note is Purdue was snapping the ball during the mock game last week at about 21 seconds per play so expect some pace if they can move it today
More plays to come

My goodness evidently Walters is going back to the drawing board getting those DBs running his scheme effectively. Had to have been 8+ 3rd and longs converted. Dropping down to 4th string C didn’t help on the other side of the ball

2-3 -2.2 yesterday
3-3 -0.7 overall

1.5* FSU ML +105

Back