C of C +150 0.5/0.75
Illinois/Tex A&M/Miami parlay +152 0.5/0.76
Rice/Vandy parlay +116 0.5/0.583
Rice/Illinois parlay +120 0.5/0.6
Vandy/Mia/TCU/Texas A&M parlay 0.5/1.053
Miami/TCU parlay 1.3/0.685

Last edited:
From d1baseball.com

FORT WORTH, Texas — After Saturday night’s loss to NC State, TCU coach Jim Schlossnagle said he planned to start Tyler Alexander in Sunday afternoon’s elimination game against Stony Brook. After ruminating more and consulting with his coaching staff, Schlossnagle had a change of heart — and it’s a good thing for TCU that he did.

Brian Howard and Preston Guillory handled the bulk of the pitching load in TCU’s 8-3 win Sunday afternoon against Stony Brook, leaving Alexander fresh for the night game against NC State.
And Alexander had his way with the Wolfpack. The sophomore lefthander carried a perfect game into the seventh inning and finished with a complete-game three-hitter, leading the Frogs to an 8-2 win that forced a decisive rematch Monday night at 7 p.m. CT.
“I thought Alexander pitched very, very well tonight,” NC State coach Elliott Avent said. “The scouting report says he fills up the zone, and he did. He probably threw a complete game somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pitches, so he was outstanding.”
To be specific, Alexander finished with 110 pitches, but he was extraordinarily efficient in the first two-thirds of the game, breezing through six innings with just 54 pitches. The Wolfpack got its first baserunner on a throwing error by the ordinarily rock-solid Keaton Jones leading off the seventh, and the next hitter, Andrew Knizner, broke up the no-hit bid. The Wolfpack pushed across an unearned run in that inning and added a solo homer by Logan Ratledge in the ninth, but it was far too little, too late.
NC State squared up a few hard line drives in the early innings, but they all went for outs, and Alexander really found his groove in the middle innings. His 78-81 mph breaking was particularly effective. Schlossnagle said the emergence of that offering has made Alexander a more complete pitcher this year, and he used it as the putaway pitch on most of his six strikeouts Sunday.
“I felt really good tonight,” Alexander said. “It took me a while to find the bottom of the strike zone at the beginning of the game. Then as the game went on I was able to really get it in there. My breaking ball helped a lot, I was able to keep it low. It was a big pitch for me to have.”
But Alexander’s greatest asset is his ability to pound the strike zone, and he was able to do that without fear once the TCU offense gave him a nice lead in the early innings. Derek Odell’s two-run single put the Frogs ahead 2-0 in the second, and they tacked on three more in the third to break the game open, highlighted by Dane Steinhagen’s two-run triple off the right-field wall.
Schlossnagle’s little roll of the dice with his pitching also left the Frogs in great shape heading into Monday, as junior lefthander Alex Young is fresh and ready to start, likely against NC State’s Johnny Piedmonte. Alexander’s complete game also spared the TCU bullpen — Trey Teakell, one of TCU’s two big guns in the pen, has yet to pitch in the regional, and closer Riley Ferrell will be fresh after getting Sunday off.
“It’s big in every possible way,” Schlossnagle said of Alexander’s complete game. “I mean, Every. Possible. Way.”
NC State managed to save most of its bullpen too, as Cory Wilder relieved starter Ryan Williamson in the third inning and turned in six solid innings. With TCU up 5-0 after three, NC State coach Elliott Avent was clearly looking ahead to Monday and wanted to ride Wilder as long as he could Sunday night. Now, the Wolfpack can head into the winner-takes-all game with a fresh Jon Olczak and Tommy DeJuneas, and a refreshed Travis Orwig and Joe O’Donnell.
The Frogs have to be considered the favorites given Young’s superior talent and track record (he’s 9-2, 2.05 this year), as well as their home-field advantage and elite bullpen. But both teams seemed loose and confident after the game, and Monday’s showdown should be compelling.

Back