Orange Bowl Discussion Thread...

Ok St/Mizzou tough, both teams off devastating defeats that would have put them in better games

Ohio St, don't know how they can be motivated after being a win away from the glory

Ok St/Mizzou tough, both teams off devastating defeats that would have put them in better games

Ohio St, don't know how they can be motivated after being a win away from the glory

Any history on how teams who were one win/game away from the title game essentially doing in their bowl game? Not sure how many times it's even happened, but WVU from a few years ago comes to mind.

Big 12 is (64-77-6) against SEC

Average score: Big 12 21.1 - SEC 21.9

In bowl games: Big 12 is (28-34-1) against SEC

Average score: Big 12 22.1 - SEC 22.1

Big 10 is (67-50-2) against ACC

Average score: Big 10 24.3 - ACC 19.5

In bowl games: Big 10 is (9-13) against ACC

Average score: Big 10 22.6 - ACC 22.7

Any history on how teams who were one win/game away from the title game essentially doing in their bowl game? Not sure how many times it's even happened, but WVU from a few years ago comes to mind.

I just know so far that Fresno, NIU, ASU, Bama all pretty much have shit the bed in bowl season after failing late in the regular season

Do you want them to now schedule the bowl games after the teams are announced?

I mean come on, next year's Cotton Bowl is already scheduled

You said the game starting at 5:30 EST would be shitty for those who live in LA. You think more people in LA will watch the cotton bowl than an NFL playoff game with SD in it? Regardless of the teams in the cotton bowl too. How many teams from LA have played in the Cotton Bowl in the history of the Cotton Bowl for you to think it matters to those living in LA?

You're a good dancer KJ, I'll give you that.

Obv Fresno and NIU missed out on their ultimate goal, the BCS. ASU missed out on an elusive Rose Bowl, and well, Bama.

You said the game starting at 5:30 EST would be shitty for those who live in LA. You think more people in LA will watch the cotton bowl than an NFL playoff game with SD in it? Regardless of the teams in the cotton bowl too. How many teams from LA have played in the Cotton Bowl in the history of the Cotton Bowl for you to think it matters to those living in LA?

You're a good dancer KJ, I'll give you that.

I don't even know how to address this, it's apples and giraffes

People in LA (if ya don't know, there are a few of them and they aren't really Chargers fans) love to watch football and gamble as well

I don't even know how to address this, it's apples and giraffes

It is? I'm simply using your words kj. Why would the Cotton Bowl starting at 5:30 be so horrible for those in LA but an NFL playoff game (with a team from SD) starting at 1:00 no be as horrible? You said it, I'm just asking why.

You are really trying to compare Friday to Sunday?

Has the stint at home altered the fact that many people are working on a Friday afternoon?

anyhow, not gambling on either game, but if I did, it would be Clemson and Ok St for me, I like Dwight's ridiculously low prop bet as well

You are really trying to compare Friday to Sunday?

Has the stint at home altered the fact that many people are working on a Friday afternoon?

No, I wasn't at all. My initial point was that the networks don't give a shit about people on the West Coast, so your reason to not start the game at 5:30 today made no sense. Then you got to tap dancing, so my point had to change with you.

No, I wasn't at all. My initial point was that the networks don't give a shit about people on the West Coast, so your reason to not start the game at 5:30 today made no sense.

They don't? If you think the networks don't care about the 2nd biggest tv market in the country this is over.

No, I wasn't at all. My initial point was that the networks don't give a shit about people on the West Coast, so your reason to not start the game at 5:30 today made no sense. Then you got to tap dancing, so my point had to change with you.

why would the networks not give a shit about 50 million people? That would be seriously dumb on their part.

I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this, but isn't it more because there was no other place to slot the Cotton Bowl or, for that matter, the Orange Bowl? The Cotton Bowl isn't what it once was like when I was a kid (I still remember the days of the Peach Bowl), and I'm not sure how much national interest it holds outside the SEC. Plus, Fox isn't going to give up a full night of prime time (ie Monday through Thursday) for a game of limited interest, so I guess they figured why not?

They don't? If you think the networks don't care about the 2nd biggest tv market in the country this is over.

And like I said, when you said this I would give you exhibit A of SD/Cin on Sunday at 10am PST. If they cared, why do that?

See, a few posts back, I predicted this to be your answer and even gave my rebuttal before you said it. Then you copped out with "most in LA aren't SD fans" as if it made the point moot.

why would the networks not give a shit about 50 million people? That would be seriously dumb on their part.

I don't know why, it just seems they don't when they schedule SD/Cin at 10am PST on Sunday as opposed to 1:30 PST on Saturday.

And like I said, when you said this I would give you exhibit A of SD/Cin on Sunday at 10am PST. If they cared, why do that?

I live in the pacific time zone. I love watching football at 10 am it's my favorite time for football actually.

I live in the pacific time zone. I love watching football at 10 am it's my favorite time for football actually.

But they won't get more viewers at 10am then they will at 1pm will they? I'm sure there are a bunch of people who are like you and want to watch at 10am, I'm just not sure that's the majority. It may be though, and I may be wrong. It's happened before and I will, unlike others, admit when I am.

I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this, but isn't it more because there was no other place to slot the Cotton Bowl or, for that matter, the Orange Bowl? The Cotton Bowl isn't what it once was like when I was a kid (I still remember the days of the Peach Bowl), and I'm not sure how much national interest it holds outside the SEC. Plus, Fox isn't going to give up a full night of prime time (ie Monday through Thursday) for a game of limited interest, so I guess they figured why not?
Nah still a huge game, and usually holds this spot alone. And it is on network TV that should tell you something

I love early games on Sunday too, pissed when the time change happens and we don't change the clocks. It's a two week adjustment period for the 11 am games

See, a few posts back, I predicted this to be your answer and even gave my rebuttal before you said it. Then you copped out with "most in LA aren't SD fans" as if it made the point moot.
SF/GB is the bigger game

But they won't get more viewers at 10am then they will at 1pm will they? I'm sure there are a bunch of people who are like you and want to watch at 10am, I'm just not sure that's the majority. It may be though, and I may be wrong. It's happened before and I will, unlike others, admit when I am.

its not really something that has ever bothered me and in fact I can't imagine it any other way. My best guess is that most would agree with me. It has always been 10 am on Sunday and it will always be 10 am on a Sunday for the NFL.

Comparing an NFL game at 10am on a Sunday to a major bowl game at 2:30pm on a Friday

I'm back to apples vs giraffes

That's why it was surprising they didn't start it at 5:30 or something, since it has limited interest. Shouldn't matter when you start it if the interest is limited, and why put it up against a BCS bowl and risk getting it even less interest?

Next year the Cotton Bowl is back on par with the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange anyway

Host a semifinal every 3 years

That's why it was surprising they didn't start it at 5:30 or something, since it has limited interest. Shouldn't matter when you start it if the interest is limited, and why put it up against a BCS bowl and risk getting it even less interest?

I think you are arguing just to argue. Do you really think they'd get more views by essentially cutting 50 millions viewers off their list right away?

I think you are arguing just to argue. Do you really think they'd get more views by essentially cutting 50 millions viewers off their list right away?

It's hilarious, Fox get one bowl game, a top 5, and thus wants to televise it mid-day Friday

Well, from a practical standpoint, you can't start it at 5:30 EST because then you'd have to cancel all the local news broadcasts on all the Fox stations, which I believe are usually the biggest source of ad revenue for local stations.

Back