Opening Weekend Premiership Plays

Greencastle

The Doc
Liverpool ML

Big difference in quality between the two teams. Liverpool's starting 11 is as good as any in the world, while Villa have a pretty average squad and will probably finish mid-table again. Liverpool have added some really nice pieces in the summer and know the importance of getting off to a hot start, to keep pace in the title race.

Manchester United -1.5

Defending champs at home in the first game of the season. Should be a good one. Reading no longer surprise teams with their high-tempo stradegy, and it actually plays rite into United's hands with all the speed and skill they have. They will miss Sidwell no doubt, and the recent injury to Big Bad Leroy Lita doesn't help much either.

Some of these odds obviously arent available anymore, sorry for that, but ill post the picks anyway. Will add more later. (units 1-10)

Aston Villa-Liverpool
pick:Liverpool -0.25 1.9 7 units

Lets face it, eventhough Martin O'Neill is a great manager, their squad just doesnt look very strong right now.Unless they bring in some fresh blood, i cant see Aston Villa really challenging for european spots at all. Liverpool is known for their slow starts from previous seasons, but at the above odds im willing to take a chance. Rafa Benitez just cant afford to have another slow start in the premiership if he wants to really have a shot at the title.At the current odds of -0.5 at around 2.05 i would probably leave them alone though.

Everton-Wigan Athletic
pick:Everton -0.75 2.06 5 units

Tim Cahill is injured but that doesnt stop me from taking a shot against a really poor looking Wigan.Chris Hutchings, their new, unexperienced manager will struggle and i expect him to be sacked at some point this season. Eventhough Wigan has had some wins preseason i really cant see them avoiding relegation this time around. Their summer signings have been really poor in my opinion. On top of that they have lost some of their best players like Baines and McCulloch. Everton with Andy Johnson and Mikel Arteta should provide enough to nick this game 2-0.

Chelsea-Birmingham
pick:Birmingham +1.75 4 units 1.87

Chelsea without their captain John Terry and the striker Didier Drogba. This will be a problem for them and i can just sense Birmingham scoring a goal here. Last year when Terry was injured Chelsea didnt look like the side they usually are. Mikael Forssell, when fit, will be a real threat even for sides like Chelsea. He has been in top form preseason and if everything goes right he might score even 15 goals this year like he did 3 years ago. Chelsea without Drogba shouldnt score more than 2, so at the above handicap this play looks good value.

Arsenal-Fulham
pick:Arsenal -1.25 5 units 1.95

I dont know what is all this talk about Arsenal not being a strong side this year.Yes they have lost Henry, but they showed last year that they can play without him. Cesc Fabregas in the midfield is the engine of this team and i expect him to provide alot of opportunities for the likes of Robin Van Persie upfront.Lawrie Sanchez, the new manager of Fulham, will certainly need some time to organize this team. Fulham has brought in alot of new players but most of them dont even look like premiership players to me. Fulham's awful record on the road is well known and i dont expect them to do any better this year either. Their biggest weakness is a really poor defence and they will pay for it against the topsides.

Sunderland-Tottenham
picks:Over 2.25 at 2.06 3 units and Tottenham -0.25 at 2.06 2 Units

Tottenhams strikeforce should provide atleast 2 goals here. Sunderlands squad just doesnt look too strong. Even with Roy Keane as their manager, they will be struggling to even keep their premiership status. Ledley King will be missing so that will open up some gates for Sunderland to score a goal here, but in the end i expect scoreline like 1-2 or 1-3.

Some nice plays, Everton and the Sunderland over look good.

But even without Terry and Drogba, Chelsea will still win comfortably against Birmingham.

I really like the Liverpool bets, but what does scare me is that everyone seems to be on Liverpool, I hope its not a public bloodbath.

A lot of people are on Liverpool and the line is moving down as a result.

It's by no means a lock, because playing as the visitor on the opening day of the season is always tough, as the crowds are always jacked up.

But Liverpool are the better team by far and the odds were pretty good value.

Adding:

Everton ML
The Toffees were a strong team at Goodison last season and we can expect much of the same this time around. I really like the signing of Jagielka and he has the potential to be a great player. Wigan were shit last year and will be worse off this year.

Chelsea -1.5
Even though Chelsea are missing some key players through injury already, they are much better equiped to deal with it this season. Birmingham are a decent side, but Stamford Bridge is a fortress and the players available to Mourinho are too good to let this one slip.

not playing a lot this weekend, no point, there are 38 games in a season so why rush? good luck to all, but i for one am hoping for a Villa victory!

The opening weekend plays have been pretty good for me in the past few years.

I feel very comfortable playing games early in the season.

Middlesbrough-Blackburn
picks:Over 2.25 at 2.04 3 units and Blackburn -0 2.09 4 units

Middlesbrough will be missing Huth,Woodgate,Pogatetz and Rochemback from this game. They didnt impress me last season and they havent done too well preseason either so no reason to change my mind there. With the defence line for tomorrow going to be completely new this could be a disaster for Middlesbrough. On the other hand Blackburn, having held up to all of their good players this summer, McCarthy and Gamst Pedersen in particular, have already played a couple of competitive games in Intertoto Cup this season. I dont see this as a problem at all as those 2 games will only have done good for their preparation. Blackburn is often considered one of the most inconsistent teams in this league but they should punish Middlesbroughs defence here.

Good luck with things guys. All the information is much appreciated and I'll probably be riding you guys for some extra cash.

Middlesbrough-Blackburn
picks:Over 2.25 at 2.04 3 units and Blackburn -0 2.09 4 units

Middlesbrough will be missing Huth,Woodgate,Pogatetz and Rochemback from this game. They didnt impress me last season and they havent done too well preseason either so no reason to change my mind there. With the defence line for tomorrow going to be completely new this could be a disaster for Middlesbrough. On the other hand Blackburn, having held up to all of their good players this summer, McCarthy and Gamst Pedersen in particular, have already played a couple of competitive games in Intertoto Cup this season. I dont see this as a problem at all as those 2 games will only have done good for their preparation. Blackburn is often considered one of the most inconsistent teams in this league but they should punish Middlesbroughs defence here.

That might be a good play, although i think Boro right now are going to wait out on Mido so if that's the case Yakubu is not going to be playing which means Boro are going to have a little bit of problems finding the back of the net.

Yeah im well aware of Yakubus situation but im still confident that he will be on the lineup tomorrow. Ill probably lay off that over if he isnt there

A nice start for me as i decided to jump off the spurs this morning when i heard that Dawson wont be playing (sorry forgot to post this here)

Jamie Carragher certainly made things interesting today.

ya carragher got bailed out by his boy stevey g.

very entertaining game though, but i was disgusted by that gareth barry dive. he's better than that shit.

Got the big boys, at home, tomorrow on the spreads respectively. And it sounds like Drogba may play a part which is great news.

This is shaping up to be the best opening weekend in years.

Great results, nice goals, solid officiating. I'm lovin it!

I guess im out of Birmingham if thats the case as i feel he makes the difference, too important for Chelsea.

hahaha ummm isn't this kinda ironic, Arsenal losing until the last 5 minutes where they tie it? I mean didn't Aston Villa do the same thing last year against them? hahah

Man United is going to win convincingly I think. Reading won't be as impressive as last season. And I doubt it that Man Yoo will allow a dumb goal like Arsenal and Chelsea have.

3:0 is my call.

Last minute play on man united at -1.5 1.82 3 units, just cant resist this one for some reason

That United game was a tough one. Hopefully Rooney won't be out for too long, but it's looking bad rite now.

With Carlos Tevez coming into the team soon, they'll be ok until Wayne recovers.

liverpool were lucky this weekend, for a team that is classed as miles apart of villa on this forum, they certainly didn't show it.
villa look good this year, definitely worth a shot when they are dog plays.

...spurs? ...if we aren't playing natural wingers, don't bother playing us.
told mike they looked an under from the word go once i saw the lineups.

Back