Opening Weekend College Football

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
I'm not going to have that much time this year until College Basketball rolls around, but I'll be able to at least post my plays.

$50 Miami (OH)/Ball State Over 52 -110
$75 Rutgers 1H -17 -115
$100 Rutgers -32
$100 LSU/Miss St. 1H Over 23 -110
$75 LSU -18.5 -110
$100 Iowa State -4 -110
$50 Tulsa -3

(will hit utah state if I can get +7 without paying more than 10 cents)

I realize I'm getting the worse of some of these lines, but I won't have an opportunity to put them in too early this year at least through the first couple of weeks. Best of luck everyone.

First to post in FDSTL's thread!

Good luck. Looking forward to the other 30 plays for the first weekend.

Dayum well better have a wisky write-up at least before Saturday.

good luck this year fondybadger.

Dayum well better have a wisky write-up at least before Saturday.

good luck this year fondybadger.

I really don't know where I stand on that game. They named the wrong guy the starter for me to take WSU. So it's a Badger or no play now... I'll have to see. I think I have my homework done for the week or just about, so I'll devote the rest of it to opening weekend.

I know WSU gets a lot of love but I se this being a no-play in all honesty. I am still high on the team and am interested to see what they do on Saturday.

Wazzu gets a little worse every year under Doba..............& this year should be no exception. Keep Brink under control & Wisky should have a good day.

I think he means that if Everidge was named starter he would have leaned Wazzou

Thanks for your input Mugg...you know your NW

BOL Fondy :cheers:

First off, I hope you have a wonderful season, and a very profitable one at that. With that said, loving LSU. Lets take home some early cash. :shake:

Good luck with week one Fondy! I hope you will be able to take some time to watch the games bro.

They named the wrong guy the starter for me to take WSU.

Fondy, what do you mean?

I'm not a Tyler Donovan fan for Wisconsin. I was hoping that Everidge would be named the starter for Wisky as I think he has more potential in some late season Big 10 games than Donovan. That said I'd have faded Everidge in his first career start in Camp Randall and take WSU. With Donovan starting and his experience filling in and winning last year at Iowa and at home against Buffalo, I'm more confident on Wisconsin this game and there is no way I would feel comfortable taking WSU. Top to bottom (don't ignore wisky's great punter & place kicker) Wisconsin has more than a 2 td edge on WSU. So without me looking at the current line (between 13.5-14.5 still right?), I'm more than likely hitting Wisconsin for a mid size play if I get them under 2 td's, otherwise I'll probably lay off or look at the total.

I just realized i have no dog plays first two days of the season.

Friday Plays
$75 Navy 1H -10.5
$50 Navy -20
$80 Washington -3 -125

GL this season Fondy. One of these weekends well have to meet up and watch some games since we now live under 15 minutes from eachother. Like the card so far. Go Badgers

GL this season Fondy. One of these weekends well have to meet up and watch some games since we now live under 15 minutes from eachother. Like the card so far. Go Badgers

Let me know when you want to get your ass smoked playing beer pong, I'm always up for a house party. Never too old for that shit. You have a fake yet? Think I'm hitting the bars for the Badger game tomorrow.

Nope got it taken away at Summerfest. Didnt think they were too strict there but was defintly wrong abut that one. Have been looking for a new one ever since. Im sure in the next couple weeks well be having a house party. ill let you know. Otherwise my Uncle has a bar and Im usually there on Saturdays to watch the games. 75th and beloit. Older groupl but a bunch of gamblers and they have all the games.

Nope got it taken away at Summerfest. Didnt think they were too strict there but was defintly wrong abut that one. Have been looking for a new one ever since. Im sure in the next couple weeks well be having a house party. ill let you know. Otherwise my Uncle has a bar and Im usually there on Saturdays to watch the games. 75th and beloit. Older groupl but a bunch of gamblers and they have all the games.

Well I live on 62nd street, so it's only 3 miles away. Have all the working class bars in my neighborhood on bluemound. If I go downtown can't get wasted because I need to drive back home. That's what sucks for me. Just have one friend who lives on Brady, and she has been going home every weekend i've been down here.

Thursday was an up and down day, did great on sides, totals hurt.

Sides 4-1 +$175<o></o>
H/Q 2-2 +$40 (First and Second Half or any quarter Side Plays)
Totals 0-4 -$303 (All totals be it game, half, quarter)

Early Games
$100 Va Tech 1H -14 -110
$50 UAB +22
$150 UConn -4.5 -105
$50 Virginia -3 -105
$40 Colorado -2.5 -105
$100 Penn State 1H -19.5 -110

Afternoon Games
$60 W. Virginia -24 +105
$60 Nebraska -21 -115
$200 Iowa -12.5 -105
$100 Iowa 1H -6.5 -115
$60 Notre Dame -1.5 -105
$60 Illinois ML +185
$100 UCLA -16.5 -105
$50 Boston College -6 -105

* Have a Wisconsin write up and play here shortly along with my evening card.

GL tommorow Fondy. With you on a few against you on a couple also though

Big Ten preview

By MARK STEWART
mstewart@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 30, 2007

ILLINOIS vs. MISSOURI

Where: St. Louis
When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday (ESPN2)
Player to watch: Arrelious Benn, Illinois - The freshman receiver enrolled into college early so he could take part in spring drills and has worked his way to the top of the depth chart. He should provide the offense with the big-play receiver it lacked last season.
Recent history: The teams haven't played since 2003 when Missouri won, 22-15, in St. Louis.
Key statistic: The Illini are coming off their best rushing season (188.8 yards per game) since 1973.
Bottom line: This would be a great opening victory for the Illini, but don't count on it. They may have a hard time containing Missouri's potent offense.
INDIANA STATE at INDIANA

When: 7 p.m. Saturday (Big Ten Network)
Player to watch: Marcus Thigpen, Indiana - Coach Bill Lynch put more emphasis on the run game during the off-season. Also, we'll see if Thigpen can take advantage of the extra 5 yards he'll have to work with on kickoff returns.
Recent history: Indiana won, 33-3, Sept. 13, 2003.
Key statistic: The Hoosiers return the players responsible for 98.8% of their offense last season.
Bottom line: Indiana should have no problem disposing of the Sycamores, who have won just one of their last 22 games.
IOWA vs. NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Where: Chicago
When: 2:30 p.m. Saturday (ESPNU)
Player to watch: Jake Christensen, Iowa - The sophomore makes his first start of the season against the same team he beat in his only collegiate start a year ago. He completed 19 of 30 passes for 256 yards and two touchdowns against Northern Illinois last season.
Recent history: The Hawkeyes beat Northern Illinois, 24-14, in 2006 and lead the series, 6-0.
Key statistic: Departed rusher Garrett Wolfe accounted for 90% of the Huskies' net rushing yards last season.
Bottom line: Iowa will remain perfect against the Huskies.
APPALACHIAN STATE at MICHIGAN

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (BTN)
Player to watch: Chad Henne, Michigan - The senior quarterback, who will make his 37th straight start, needs two touchdown passes to equal the school record of 72 held by Cudahy native John Navarre.
Recent history: First meeting.
Key statistic: Appalachian State's Kevin Richardson averaged 147 rushing yards over his final seven games to lead the Mountaineers to their second straight I-AA national title.
Bottom line: Appalachian State is a good program, but Michigan won't have any problem protecting the Big House.
ALA.-BIRMINGHAM at MICHIGAN STATE

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (ESPN2)
Player to watch: Kaleb Thornhill, Michigan State - New coach Mark Dantonio wants the team to play more physically. On defense, Thornhill, a senior linebacker, should set the tone in that regard.
Key statistic: The Spartans' non-conference schedule is one of the nation's toughest. Their opponents' had a winning percentage of .592 last season.
Bottom line: The Dantonio era will start on a high note.
BOWLING GREEN at MINNESOTA

When: 7 p.m. Saturday (BTN)
Player to watch: Adam Weber, Minnesota - The redshirt freshman quarterback starts his first game.
Recent history: The teams haven't played since 1986, their only meeting. Minnesota won, 31-7.
Key statistic: Opponents averaged a whopping 6 yards per play against the Gophers last year.
Bottom line: Minnesota protects its home turf against the Mid-American Conference upstart.
NORTHEASTERN at NORTHWESTERN

Player to watch: C.J. Bacher, Northwestern - The junior quarterback played well in the second half of last season. We'll see if there is any carryover to this year.
Key statistic: Northeastern returns 16 starters from a team that went 5-6.
Bottom line: Last year Northwestern played a member of the Colonial Athletic Association and lost. It won't happen this year.
YOUNGSTOWN STATE at OHIO STATE

Player to watch: Todd Boeckman, Ohio State - The fourth-year junior quarterback makes his first start.
Key statistic: The Buckeyes return four of the top six tacklers from a defense that allowed a league-low 257 yards against Big Ten competition.
Bottom line: Ohio State won't take it easy on Coach Jim Tressel's former program.
FLA. INTERNATIONAL at PENN STATE

Player to watch: Austin Smith, Penn State - The senior missed all of last season to an ankle injury but returned to win the job as starting running back.
Key statistic: Florida International's 12-game losing streak is tied with Duke for the nation's longest.
Bottom line: Penn State wins easily its tune up for Notre Dame next week.
PURDUE at TOLEDO

When: 6 p.m. Saturday (ESPNU)
Player to watch: Curtis Painter, Purdue - The junior quarterback worked during the off-season to cut down his interceptions. Will he be turnover free this week?
Recent history: Toledo won, 36-22, in 1997 to take a 2-1 lead in the series.
Key statistic: The Boilermakers' 20 returning starters tie them for the most in the Big Ten.
Bottom line: Purdue wins on the road.

One last time: UW-WSU predictions

By Dave Heller

Friday, Aug 31 2007, 10:22 AM

While you're champing at the bit waiting for the start of Saturday's game, here's a few more Wisconsin-Washington State predictions to ponder:
  • ESPN,com Insider Bruce Feldman - Wisconsin 24, Washington State 7. "Whether a slimmer P.J. Hill is a better P.J. Hill will be interesting to chart. I think he'll get off to a strong start and TE Travis Beckum will have a big day against a very inexperienced back seven to give the Badgers their 10th straight season-opening win."
  • The blog Run for the Roses: Wisconsin 38, Washington State 14. "Washington State is in for a tough one as they face one of the nation's best teams, Wisconsin on the road in Madison. The Cougars' (sic) lost a lot of playmakers and senior leaders from last year's team in Mkristo Bruce and Jason Hill. Despite, the losses, the Cougars have some solid offensive players in Alex Brink, Michael Bumpus, and Dwight Tardy. However, Wisconsin should dominate on offense with the presence of running back P.J. Hill. The Cougars also must face one of the nation's best defenses led by shutdown cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu. The Badgers are simply much more talented than the Cougars and this game is in Madison."
  • Rivals.com's Olin Buchanan: Wisconsin 27, Washington State 17. Buchanan says the best matchup in BIg Ten games comes in the Badgers-Cougars contest. "A year ago, Washington State allowed 114 rushing yards per game to rank a very respectable 32nd nationally. Three starters return in the Cougars defensive line as well as linebacker Greg Trent, their second-leading tackler of 2006. That sets up an interesting confrontation with Wisconsin tailback P.J. Hill, who rushed for 1,569 yards a year ago. However, Hill failed to reach triple digits in each of the Badgers' final three games. Although Hill has four returning starters blocking for him on the offensive line, the absent one is All-America tackle Joe Thomas."
  • The blog Big Ten Chronicle: Wisconsin 28, Washington State 14. "Time for Wisconsin to prove they are the BCS Contenders most are predicting. The Badgers return 18 starters from last year's squad that finished with a record of 12-1. Of course many are quick to point out that last year's schedule was one of the weakest in the Big Ten. Washington State will pack the box on defense in an attempt to stop P.J. Hill and the Badger running attack. Wazzu should be successful at stopping the run early, but at a cost. Stacking the line will open up many opportunities for Wisconsin QB Tyler Donovan to pick up some big chunks of yardage. This one could stay close and will be interesting to watch, but look for the Badger offense to shine and take over the game in the 2nd half."
  • The blog In the Bleachers: Wisconsin 33, Washington State 10. "The Badgers and young RB PJ Hill Jr welcome the Cougars to Camp Randell Stadium. Tyler Donovan takes over for John Stocco at quarterback. This is the first of 3 easy out of conference games for Wisconsin. For the Cougars who won 6 games last year, this game would go a long way for them to make a bowl game."

College football preview

By MARK STEWART
mstewart@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 30, 2007

AP PRESEASON TOP 25

1. Southern California: The backfield is loaded with running backs, Heisman hopeful John David Booty returns at quarterback and the defense should be the best in the Pacific 10. The Trojans should have little problem winning at least 10 games for the sixth straight year.
2. Louisiana State: The Tigers lost four National Football League first-round draft picks yet still have enough muscle left to make a serious title run. Watch out for Glenn Dorsey, a beast in the middle who makes a lot of plays for a defensive tackle.
3. West Virginia: Running back Steve Slaton and quarterback Patrick White are All-American candidates and the Mountaineers have five other players who received all-conference mention in 2006. The program's third straight top-10 finish, and maybe more, appears to be a good bet.
4. Texas: The Longhorns lost highly regarded defensive coordinator Gene Chizik to Iowa State but return their top passer, runner and receiver from 2006. The program's streak of six straight seasons of at least 10 victories appears safe.
5. Michigan: Seven Wolverines were drafted into the NFL last spring, but a loaded offense featuring Heisman candidates Chad Henne and Mike Hart will keep the team at the top of the Big Ten and in the thick of the national title hunt.
6. Florida: Before you talk about repeating as national champion, you must first talk about rebuilding, er, reloading. Seventeen starters are gone from the 2006 team, but the Gators have recruited well and are set at quarterback with sophomore Tim Tebow.

7. Wisconsin: The Badgers' defense will be fast and physical and their offense features playmakers Travis Beckum at tight end and P.J. Hill at running back. The unit's overall experience should allow quarterback Tyler Donovan to ease into his role as the full-time starter.

8. Oklahoma: Patrick Allen will prove to be a more than capable successor to Adrian Peterson at running back. The key to the Sooners' national title run will be redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Bradford, who will be surrounded by nine returning starters on offense.
9. Virginia Tech: Sixteen starters return to a team that won six of its last seven games in 2006. A defense that features All-American-caliber linebackers Vince Hall and Xavier Adibi could be especially nasty.
10. Louisville: The defense has some rebuilding to do, but the Cardinals won't fall far despite the loss of coach Bobby Petrino. Don't be surprised if they're still undefeated in November.
11. Ohio State: The Buckeyes lost Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith and a host of other playmakers but reload with a defense that returns All-American linebacker James Laurinaitis and all-conference end Vern Gholston.
12. California: Thanks to quarterback Nate Longshore and receiver DeSean Jackson, the Bears have the best offense in the Pacific 10 outside of USC. They're awfully raw in the defensive front seven, though. That unit's development will determine the kind of run California makes in the league.
13. Georgia: Injuries helped derail a 5-0 start last season. As long as the Bulldogs stay healthy and develop on the offensive and defensive lines, they could get past Florida in the Southeastern Conference's East Division.
14. UCLA: Have the Bruins arrived? They return 10 starters on both offense and defense from the team that won three of its last four games last year and stunned USC in the regular-season finale.
15. Tennessee: Erik Ainge completed a school-record 67% of his passes last season but with the team's top three rushers returning, the senior quarterback figures to spend a little more time handing off this season.
16. Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights' highly rated defense took a hit, but with the return of running back Ray Rice, quarterback Mike Teel and 12 other starters, they will be in the thick of the Big East race again. Another 10-plus victory season is well within reach.
17. Florida State: The Seminoles finished below .500 in the Atlantic Coast Conference for the first time ever last season, but it won't happen again unless they have a run of injuries. Watch out for a new and improved Drew Weatherford, who maintained his job as quarterback with consistent preseason practices.
18. Auburn: Everyone excited about Alabama coach Nick Saban's return to the SEC shouldn't forget about the Tigers, who own the series between the two schools of late.
19. Penn State: The Nittany Lions have been overshadowed in the Big Ten but play Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa at home. Don't be surprised if they emerge as a title contender.
20. Nebraska: Bill Callahan's rebuilding effort picked up steam last season when the Cornhuskers won the Big 12 North Division. The arrival of quarterback Sam Keller, a transfer from Arizona State, could put the Cornhuskers back on top of the league.
21. Arkansas: Tailback Darren McFadden's Heisman Trophy run could be hampered by a depleted offense that returns just two starters on the line. The Razorbacks will need more in the rough and tumble SEC.
22. Texas Christian: The Horned Frogs enter the season on an eight-game winning streak and, thanks to the return of running back Aaron Brown and three offensive linemen, are thinking big this year. If they beat Texas Sept. 8, they could go undefeated.
23. Hawaii: With Colt Brennan under center, June Jones could be headed for his finest season as Rainbows coach. Look at their schedule and it's hard to imagine them losing a game until late November.
24. Boise State: Orange Bowl hero Ian Johnson, the nation's second-leading rusher in 2006, returns to a team that owns a national-best 13-game winning streak. The Broncos could run the table again if they get past early season tests at Washington and against Southern Mississippi.
25. Texas A&M: Aggies bruiser Jovorskie Lane (6 feet, 263 pounds) gets the most attention but the team returned three backs who gained more than 650 yards last season.
ALL-AMERICANS

OFFENSE

QB - Colt Brennan, Hawaii, 6-3, 201, Sr.
RB - Darren McFadden, Arkansas, 6-2, 215, Jr.
RB - Steve Slaton, West Virginia, 5-10, 190, Jr.
WR - Jarrett Dillard, Rice, 5-11, 185, Jr.
WR - DeSean Jackson, California, 6-0.172, Jr.
TE - Travis Beckum, Wisconsin, 6-4, 224, Jr.
T - Jake Long, Michigan, 6-7, 315, Sr.
T - Sam Baker, USC, 6-5, 3-5, Sr.
G - Jeremy Perry, Oregon State, 6-2, 329, Jr.
G - Will Anderson, Louisiana State, 6-5, 330, Sr.
C - Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas, 6-4, 307, Jr.
DEFENSE

E - Calais Campbell, Miami, 6-8, 280, Jr.
E - Bruce Davis, UCLA, 6-3, 234, Sr.
T - Glenn Dorsey, LSU, 6-2, 303, Sr.
T - Sedrick Ellis, USC, 6-2, 305,
LB - James Laurinaitis, Ohio State, 6-3, 240, Jr.
LB - Vince Hall, Virginia Tech, 6-0, 238, Sr.
LB - Keith Rivers, USC, 6-3, 235, Sr.
CB - Antoine Carson, Arizona, 6-0, 185, Sr.
CB - Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech, 5-10, 200, Jr.
FS - Kenny Phillips, Miami, 6-2, 210, Jr.
SS - Tom Zbikowski, Notre Dame, 6-0, 205, Sr.
SPECIAL TEAMS

K - Arthur Carmody, Louisville, 5-8, 165, Sr.
P - Chris Miller, Ball State, 6-2, 205, Jr.
HEISMAN HOPEFULS

Arkansas RB Darren McFadden: McFadden's electrifying runs and his occasional forays as a quarterback will make him a factor in the Heisman Trophy race for a second straight year. McFadden finished a distant second to Ohio State's Troy Smith last year and if he isn't on his game could be passed by these candidates this season.
Hawaii QB Colt Brennan: To make a Heisman run playing in the Western Athletic Conference, you'd better have great statistics and Brennan is sure to have those. Last season he had passed for 5,549 yards and established NCAA season records for 300-yard games (14) and touchdowns (58).
Michigan RB Mike Hart: The Wolverines' senior lacks McFadden's big-play ability but is a tough runner who just keeps plugging away. Michigan has had a lot of talented players during Hart's time in the program, but history shows that he is the one who makes the team's offense go. He averaged 4.9 yards per carry and gained 1,562 yards last season.
USC QB John David Booty: Don't be surprised if the Trojans win their fourth Heisman of the decade, especially if they contend for the national title, as expected. Booty led the Pacific 10 in total offense and pass efficiency last season, and that came with the rust of a three-year layoff spent as Matt Leinart's backup.
West Virginia QB Patrick White: Mountaineers running back Steve Slaton was fourth in the Heisman voting last year, but we like White this year. In addition to running for 101.6 yards per game, he completed 66% of his passes and would have ranked ninth in the nation in pass efficiency rating (159.7) but fell one attempt short of qualifying.
Louisville QB Brian Brohm: The senior has been banged up over the years but still produces. He has thrown for 6,751 yards and 41 touchdowns. This year, his Heisman chances are boosted by a group of receivers other signal-callers would drool over and a team that could repeat as Big East champion.
SEPTEMBER TO REMEMBER

We won't have to wait long to find out where many of the nation's top teams stand. September is filled with cross-sectional showdowns that will have a profound effect on the rankings.
No. 15 Tennessee at No. 12 California, Saturday: Last year, Tennessee jumped out to a 35-0 lead over ninth-ranked California and won, 35-18. Volunteers quarterback Erik Ainge is the man to watch this year. He'll play despite a broken pinky finger on his throwing hand.
No. 9 Virginia Tech at No. 2 Louisiana State, Sept. 8: LSU quarterback Matt Flynn will have just two college starts under his belt before the Hokies' defense makes him do some mental gymnastics with its various blitz packages. The Tigers' defense will bring the heat, too. Don't expect a lot of points to be scored in this showdown.
No. 22 Texas Christian at No. 4 Texas, Sept. 8: The two programs haven't played each other since they were part of the Southwest Conference in 1995. The resumption of this rivalry couldn't have come at a better time for TCU, which has a team of capable of making a run at a BCS bowl berth this season.
No. 1 USC at No. 21 Nebraska, Sept. 15: Give Pete Carroll credit. He doesn't shy away from competition. In this matchup, Cornhuskers quarterback Sam Keller, an Arizona State transfer, gets another shot at the Trojans. He threw for 347 yards - and five interceptions - in a 10-point loss to USC two years ago.
Alabama vs. No. 17 Florida State in Jacksonville, Sept. 29: The Crimson Tide plays Arkansas and Georgia in the first month, but this will be the first chance for Nick Saban to see where his team stands against a talented opponent away from home.
Honorable mention: Washington State at Wisconsin, Saturday; Oklahoma State at Georgia, Saturday; Miami at Oklahoma, Sept. 8; Oregon at Michigan, Sept. 8.

Washington State

<table border="0"><tbody><tr><td>OFFENSE</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>Senior quarterback Alex Brink, who has 28 consecutive starts and last season was a second-team all-Pacific 10 Conference pick, is the unquestioned leader of the offense. He enters the season fourth in school history in pass attempts (948), third in completions (543), fifth in passing yards (7,095), third in touchdowns (50) and fourth in total offense (1,131). His knowledge of the team's one-back attack is impeccable and he has autonomy to change the play at the line whenever he deems necessary. Senior Michael Bumpus (60 catches, 9.3-yard average) and junior Brandon Gibson (49 catches, 14.9-yard average and four touchdowns) are reliable targets. "(They) make a pretty good 1-2 punch," Brink said. "I think they are the best in the conference, honestly." Senior tight end Jed Collins (22 catches, 13.9-yard average and three touchdowns) is no slouch. The areas of concern are at tailback and along the line. The biggest area of concern is at right tackle, where redshirt freshman Micah Hannam is the starter. "We're average at running back," coach Bill Doba said. "I'm scared to death of the offensive line. We're a little thin and we're going to have to count on some young kids."

<table border="0"><tbody><tr><td>DEFENSE</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>Forced to switch to a 3-4 base defense after injuries thinned the line, the Cougars finished 62nd nationally in points allowed (23.1) last season. Their run defense isn't bad as opponents averaged just 3.4 yards per carry and 114.2 yards per game. The latter mark was tied for 32nd nationally. By comparison, UW finished 34th nationally against the run (114.8). Six starters must be replaced, including two first-team all-conference picks. The Cougars are breaking in three new starters in the secondary, including both cornerbacks, and two linebackers. That makes it imperative for the front four to control the line of scrimmage and the talent is there to do that, if the players can stay healthy. Senior defensive end Matt Mullennix (6 feet 7 inches, 257 pounds) missed all of last season after suffering a knee injury in camp. Defensive tackles Ropati Pitoitua (6-8, 291) and Aaron Johnson (6-7, 317) were limited to a combined 12 games because of injuries. The size of the tackles could give UW's interior blockers fits.

<table border="0"><tbody><tr><td>SPECIAL TEAMS</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>Nothing special about these units. The Cougars were 109th nationally in kickoff returns (17.5 yards) and 105th nationally in punt returns (5.5 yards). The feel-good story is the emergence of senior kicker Romeen Abdollmohammadi, a former walk-on who attended community college two years but did not play football. Abdollmohammadi was primarily a soccer player in high school who handled kickoffs for the football team. His first field-goal attempt at Washington State came in Week 9 last season in the 37-15 victory over UCLA. His 31-yard kick gave the Cougars a 23-15 lead in the third quarter. He finished the season 3 for 3 on field-goal attempts and 10 for 10 on conversions. "I'll probably put the kiss of death on him," Doba said. "He hasn't missed one yet."

Washington State prepared for test

By JEFF POTRYKUS
jpotrykus@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 27, 2007

Madison - Washington State coach Bill Doba is eager to bring his football team to Camp Randall Stadium.
"I think it is a great venue," he said. "I think it is a great experience for our alums."
Will Doba's players, trying to recover from a disappointing 6-6 mark last season, enjoy the experience when they face No. 7 Wisconsin at 2:30 p.m. Saturday?
"Quite honestly, if I knew they were going to be as good as they were projected to be I probably wouldn't have agreed to schedule them," Doba said, joking. "(But) if you're going to play somebody tough your best chance to beat them is probably that first game. They may over-prepare. They may under-prepare."
Washington State last season appeared prepared to play in its first bowl game since the 2003 season, Doba's first as head coach. Riding an outstanding passing offense, the Cougars were 6-3 overall and 4-2 in the Pacific 10 Conference after whipping UCLA, 37-15, on Oct. 28 in the Rose Bowl.
Mounting injuries on defense - the Cougars had to switch their base defense to a 3-4 from a 4-3 - contributed to three consecutive losses. The Cougars were outscored by a combined 109-63 in the final three games as the defense couldn't make a key stop and the offense couldn't keep pace in the points race.
"We started (well)," said Doba, whose team is picked to finish eighth in the conference this season. "We had some key injuries. I don't want to blame injuries for the downfall in the last three ball games when we struggled. But these guys have, I guess, a new commitment. They want to win.
"We've had excellent leadership. I think we got better during the spring and we've had good summer workouts."
The program has also undergone several changes on the sideline. The most significant coaching change came when defensive coordinator Robb Akey left to take over as head coach at Idaho. Doba, who was the Cougars' defensive coordinator / linebackers coach from 1994-2002, is taking on those responsibilities again this season.
"I can honestly say I had more fun this spring coaching linebackers and coordinating the defense than I've had in four years," said Doba, 25-22 in four seasons as head coach. "We'll be good (on defense) if we've got good players."
No one questions the Cougars' talent on offense, which is led by senior quarterback Alex Brink, a 28-game starter.
With Brink completing 60.9% of his passes for 2,899 yards and 19 touchdowns last season, the Cougars finished No. 15 nationally in passing (259.8 yards per game) and No. 57 nationally in scoring (24.6 points per game). This unit will be the team's strength in 2007, particularly early.
"The quarterback is a three-year starter and he can flat-out play," said junior linebacker Jonathan Casillas. "He can throw the ball. He can run for first downs. He is the leader of the team. Everybody feeds off him.
"That is going to be our main task, stopping him."
Likewise, Doba knows a trip to Madison to face a veteran UW team will be a test for the Cougars.
They opened 2006 with a 40-14 loss at then-No. 4 Auburn.
"We were a better team coming out of there after that experience than had we played Slippery Rock or somebody," Doba said. "I think we knew more about our football team early and what we had to work on in the coming weeks to get ready for the Pac 10."

$100 Wisconsin -14 -105
$100 Wisconsin 1H -7 -120

Evening Games
$50 Arizona +4 -110
$75 Central Florida +8 -110
$100 TCU -21 -105
$60 Georgia -6.5 -105
$50 Pitt -20
$100 Purdue -6.5 -105
$60 Auburn -13.5 -105
$100 Tenny +6 +100

Late Night
$50 UTEP +3 +100
$60 Arizona State -15 -105
$80 USC -46 -105
$100 USC 1H -27.5 -105

Those are some great previews from the MJS. They are usually pretty good when it comes to college stuff. Potrykus, Stewart, and Rosiak are all top notch reporters and great writers. GL on Wisky tommorow Fondy. I think its Badgers or nothing tommorow but im staying off the sides. I do have the under though. What are your thoughts about 48.5

that wisky first half really looks appetizing i think i will pull the trigger on it. Damn i just checked it and it is up to -8 at my book, what do you think there lead will be at half?

GL on the season.

Fondy-
Good Big 10 info as usual- I think I may add Wisky 1st half, i see the number @ 8. I was thinking 21-3 or so?
BOL with the rest-

that wisky first half really looks appetizing i think i will pull the trigger on it. Damn i just checked it and it is up to -8 at my book, what do you think there lead will be at half?

GL on the season.

"Late" game today by Wisky standards, should be a drunken debacle in the stands. I'm assuming that Wisconsin should have a decent size lead in the first half, but in past years I've checked out some practices and had a better first hand idea of the team than I do this year. So everything is a bit more speculation on Wisky than I wish it was.

Fondy-
Good Big 10 info as usual- I think I may add Wisky 1st half, i see the number @ 8. I was thinking 21-3 or so?
BOL with the rest-

All the Big 10 info is from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. They have a great Badger Blog this season. Was a bit intoxicated last night and don't think I clearly stated that.

So far today I've went

Game 8-4 +$435
Halves 6-2 +$285

It would be a bit better if I wouldn't have figured out a way to lose both wagers taking each side on Illinois ML and the Mizzou 2H.

Back