Ole Miss vs Mississippi State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ole Miss vs Mississippi State: College Football Week 14 Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Ole Miss vs Mississippi State
Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field

Odds

Oddsmakers have Mississippi State favored by a field goal.

In terms of record, the Bulldogs have more to play for as they need a win to become bowl eligible. In contrast, Ole Miss cannot reach six wins.

But throw out win-loss records because the Rebels would love to ruin their rivals’ season. This rivalry runs deep with both sides sharing enmity towards the other.

In this series, the road team has won four in a row. Also note that Ole Miss is enjoying a 5-1-1 ATS run versus SEC opponents

Mississippi State’s Problem On Defense

The offseason departure of seven defensive starters has hit Miss State’s run defense especially hard.

Whereas it ranked third nationally last year in allowing 96.7 run yards per game, it currently ranks 63rd in the category, allowing 161.9 rush yards per game.

In particular, the Bulldogs miss Jeffery Simmons and Montez Sweat. Without them, the Bulldogs lack the personnel on the defensive line to penetrate into the backfield and be disruptive.

Hence, their defensive line now ranks 80th in opportunity rate and 104th in stuff rate, meaning that opposing offensive lines are having an easy time opening up holes for their ball-carrier who is rarely unable to move the ball forward.

SEC Opponents Are Punishing Mississippi State

SEC squads are enjoying betting success against Mississippi State. Largely due to the latter’s problems in run defense, Miss State is on a 1-5 ATS run against SEC teams.

Let’s look at common opponents: against Miss State, Texas A&M ran for 207 yards on 5.3 YPC and four rushing touchdowns. Rakeem Boyd of Arkansas ran for 104 yards on only 11 carries. Auburn accrued 217 rushing yards on 4.7 YPC.

In contrast, against Ole Miss, the Aggies managed 165 yards on 4.3 YPC, Rakeem Boyd produced 67 yards on 17 carries, and Auburn ran for 167 yards on 3.6 YPC.

Ole Miss’ significant advantage is in its stronger run defense. The Rebels rank 36th in opposing rush yards per game and rank 50 spots ahead of Miss State in opposing YPC (Ole Miss allows 4.0 YPC, Miss State 4.8).

This statistical disparity is decisive because both teams are run-first — Ole Miss ranks 16th in run play frequency while the Bulldogs rank 21st.

Don’t Fail To Appreciate Ole Miss’ Running Game

I don’t think people know how special Mississippi’s ball-carriers are.

Quarterback John Rhys Plumlee is primarily a running quarterback who leads his team in carries.

He’s 11 rushing yards away from becoming the fifth SEC quarterback to run for 1,000 yards in a season, joining the company of Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Nick Fitzgerald, and Johnny Manziel.

Plumlee is also unique because he leads the SEC in rush yards per game — he averages 126.5, which is 2.8 YPC more than Georgia star De’Andre Swift.

Historically, Plumlee is special moreover because he’s the first quarterback since Vince Young to run for 200 yards against the number 1 team in the nation and the first to amass 200 rushing yards against LSU since Newton in 2010.

Given his high recruiting ranking as a four-star, Plumlee’s success should come as no surprise. Plus, offensive coordinator Rich Rodriguez loves to employ his sort of skill set — this was evident when he was at West Virginia with Pat White.

Plumlee enjoys elite speed with a 4.42 40. Rodriguez is adept at scheming Plumlee into a good spot, for example by drawing defenders away from the middle of the field to create more room for Plumlee.

He also employs fake tosses to his running back and other bits of deception. He just needs a little bit of space and a little bit of blocking to gash an opposing defense.

Ole Miss Running Backs

Speed does not belong to Plumlee alone. Also look for Jerrion Ealy, who’s averaging 7.7 YPC against SEC opponents on 58 carries.

Ealy runs a 4.48 and is tough to bring down in open space because of his fluidity in changing directions, his juke, and his stiff arm. He’s always primed for a big play and he’s a threat out of the backfield.

Snoop Conner is another big-play threat. He’s averaging 6.9 YPC against conference opponents.

With this stacked talent, Ole Miss averaged 223 rush yards against Auburn, Alabama, and LSU.

Conclusion

I don’t think Ole Miss ball-carriers get nearly the attention that they deserve. They are stacked, talented, and often electric. They will thrive against Mississippi State’s emaciated and vulnerable run defense.

Historical trends — both in recent history against SEC opponents and in the series — further support an NCAAF Pick on Ole Miss. Grab the +3 while it’s still available.

Best Bet: Rebels +3 at -115 odds with Bovada and Rebels ML at +130 odds with 5Dimes

Given his high recruiting ranking as a four-star, Plumlee’s success should come as no surprise. Plus, offensive coordinator Rich Rodriguez loves to employ his sort of skill set — this was evident when he was at West Virginia with Pat White.
Or at Clemson with Woody Dantzler.

always great writeups; any thoughts on the total in this one ?

2 run dominated teams has me considering an under , and i feel like the rush defense of these teams is better than their pass defenses.

I understand the sentiment there. I also don't trust either team's passing game. Both have inefficient quarterbacks with accuracy/wide receiver separation issues.

But I also think several Ole Miss players could reliably amass big plays against this Miss State run defense. Also Miss State ranks 19th in OED, which suggests some big-play capability there.
I don't know too much about either team's tempo, but Ole Miss ranks 25th in plays per game.

In sum, I dunno about the total.

Havnt really seen state but Rebs def go petty fast. I’m with you VC, I took the 3 points. Agree w most everything, think it a pretty easy game to cap considering both teams strengths and weaknesses and im with you, like Rebs chances to run and have more success stopping it..

Havnt really seen state but Rebs def go petty fast. I’m with you VC, I took the 3 points. Agree w most everything, think it a pretty easy game to cap considering both teams strengths and weaknesses and im with you, like Rebs chances to run and have more success stopping it..

We gonna hit up a night club in the Lou one of these days?

Skeezer
1) A slang term for woman with low morals and poor hygene. Derived from 'Skeezy', a variant of the word 'Skeevy', meaning filthy or stained with fecal matter, urine and/or semen.
2) A low-class prostitute; one who is diseased, ugly, prematurely aged and/or worn-out from hard work and rough trade.
3) An immoral woman with no pride; one who engages in humiliating and degrading sexual acts for little or no gratitude or reward.

Yikes idk about the skeezer. Sounds like i'd need a doctor after that.

I was only referring to the questionable morals, ie they put out :). I’m sure they bathe and are mostly free of std’s. I’d fuck them, lol.

You can always wear a rubber I suppose but I find that to be similar to washing my feet w socks on.

Morals are dumb anyways. A program for the masses. We only need conventionality in etiquette so that we remain agreeable to each other.
"mostly" free lol. I thought rubber was supposed to be 99% effective. Seems better than trying to pull out in the last second.

Morals are dumb anyways. A program for the masses. We only need conventionality in etiquette so that we remain agreeable to each other.
"mostly" free lol. I thought rubber was supposed to be 99% effective. Seems better than trying to pull out in the last second.

Yea sure, I just don’t like them. I prefer the lowering my sperm count w drugs technique then if you knock one up push them down some stairs. Lmfao

Bank, every time we talk about something not related to sports, I need urbandictionary.com like once for every one of your posts. I'm gonna need some sort of urbandictionary app to party with you lol.

Yea sure, I just don’t like them. I prefer the lowering my sperm count w drugs technique then if you knock one up push them down some stairs. Lmfao

LOL wow. Is that not assault or is that a mutually agreed upon Plan B method?

I sort of imagine a night at a night club like that Edward Norton movie 25th Hour. Just kind of going for the experience itself.

LOL wow. Is that not assault or is that a mutually agreed upon Plan B method?

Yea, like unspoken. lol. Although I did used to tell my ex that to make sure she kept up w birth control. I think she thought I was joking, maybe I was, maybe I wasn’t. I suppose it could be called assault. I prefer to think of it as a happy accident.

Yea, like unspoken. lol. Although I did used to tell my ex that to make sure she kept up w birth control. I think she thought I was joking, maybe I was, maybe I wasn’t. I suppose it could be called assault. I prefer to think of it as a happy accident.

I got another full-proof method of avoiding the unpleasantries that would accompany pregnancy....I know a foreign language and have the money to buy me a one-way plane ticket :) How's your Spanish, Bank? Well you don't have to worry anymore

So many Michigan fans here. Sometimes I wonder if BAR doesn't have an alias. Like just to fuck around a bit. Cause sometimes he holds himself back, treads the 'company line' ig and speaks politely about Sparty when he probably doesn't want to. I mean it's partly his forum, what would he do ban his own alias?

I got another full-proof method of avoiding the unpleasantries that would accompany pregnancy....I know a foreign language and have the money to buy me a one-way plane ticket :) How's your Spanish, Bank? Well you don't have to worry anymore

My bitch ass counselor in high school told me I wasn’t good enough at English to take Spanish (think I told you this before). Fukkin trick, told her I wasn’t interested in conjugating verbs and shit, I just wanted to learn to speak it!!

I picked up a little while dealing w my Mexican associates back in the day. It ain’t real good but I can kinda get by. Lol. It more like Spanglish.

Man it’s gonna be tough for me to lay off big blue this week. Ugh.

Totally different team since the start of the season particularly on defense..starting with shutting PSU down in the second half. Have always been a big fan of that receiving corps which is ridiculously stacked. But I can't trust a Don Brown defense in a big game. So much history of giving up big plays going from the Saquon show in 2017 to Ohio State last year and so on

My bitch ass counselor in high school told me I wasn’t good enough at English to take Spanish (think I told you this before). Fukkin trick, told her I wasn’t interested in conjugating verbs and shit, I just wanted to learn to speak it!!

I picked up a little while dealing w my Mexican associates back in the day. It ain’t real good but I can kinda get by. Lol. It more like Spanglish.

I'm conflicted about your English. You flex the high IQ with a nice vocab, you just choose to speak so damn urban all the time :D

I'm conflicted about your English. You flex the high IQ with a nice vocab, you just choose to speak so damn urban all the time :D

Lol. My vocabulary is impeccable. I don’t choose to speak that way. It just how I speak. I sound super white tho! My black friends always say it trips them out I sound so white, I’m like Mfer I am white! Not like I’m one those stupid wiggers who try to sound black, I can’t help it I’m kinda hood. Lol

My question be how to speak a language without conjugate verbs? lol

Lol. My vocabulary is impeccable. I don’t choose to speak that way. It just how I speak. I sound super white tho! My black friends always say it trips them out I sound so white, I’m like Mfer I am white! Not like I’m one those stupid wiggers who try to sound black, I can’t help it I’m kinda hood. Lol

Man interracial friendships can be difficult. Unless you grow up with/around the guy. Like at Alabama shit was so divided. One super extraverted black guy randomly talked to me while I was walking and we got along great the whole time I was there. But his friends would walk up to him see me talking to him and look at me with some kind of mixture of suspicion and disappointment. My buddy told me that he had to tell them that I was ok.
Then there was my plug, funny guy we'd also talk a lot of random shit. But when I went to pick up he'd always ask if I was a cop or a snitch and I still can't figure out if he was joking or not. Lol. So much suspicion. And it's low-key prejudiced...white guy = cop. But his friends were funny af, I think they spoke a tad differently for me tho like less urban lol.

My question be how to speak a language without conjugate verbs? lol

I don’t even know wtf that means! Never made much sense for me to care in English classes. I already speak the shit.

It really hard to get me to care about learning something that I can’t see the ultimate goal of it making me money. I’m fairly well read, I like books, read a shitload in prison. When I stare at sentences and try to understand wtf they asking me to do tho I might as well be retarded, I scored 98th percentile on my ged and that was getting lowest possible passing score in the English section (or whatever they called it).

I don’t even know wtf that means! Never made much sense for me to care in English classes. I already speak the shit.

It really hard to get me to care about learning something that I can’t see the ultimate goal of it making me money. I’m fairly well read, I like books, read a shitload in prison. When I stare at sentences and try to understand wtf they asking me to do tho I might as well be retarded, I scored 98th percentile on my ged and that was getting lowest possible passing score in the English section (or whatever they called it).

I heard that Kant is a super popular prison read. Like prisoners wanting to read the most complicated stuff to force themselves to take their minds off things.

Umm how do you read a lot without understanding sentences?

Practical sort of how-to like how to make money books would bore the hell out of me lol.

Man interracial friendships can be difficult. Unless you grow up with/around the guy. Like at Alabama shit was so divided. One super extraverted black guy randomly talked to me while I was walking and we got along great the whole time I was there. But his friends would walk up to him see me talking to him and look at me with some kind of mixture of suspicion and disappointment. My buddy told me that he had to tell them that I was ok.
Then there was my plug, funny guy we'd also talk a lot of random shit. But when I went to pick up he'd always ask if I was a cop or a snitch and I still can't figure out if he was joking or not. Lol. So much suspicion. And it's low-key prejudiced...white guy = cop. But his friends were funny af, I think they spoke a tad differently for me tho like less urban lol.

It was super strange for me at 1st when i got locked up in Mississippi. I wasn’t used to that shit, I always spoke hustler and got along w anyone when we could make money off each other.

You right it super racial in the south. Mfers didn’t know wtf to think of me. The white ppl were super suspicious cause I got along w blacks more than them, the old black guys looked at me suspicious as hell like why don’t this this cracker hang out w his own kind.

As they say tho, real recognizes real. Some days I played volleyball w mostly white guys and the brothers gave me shit for not being on the court w them, other days I played B-ball w the brothers. Whenever the brothers came over to play volleyball they always give me shit for playing on white guys team. I just say it not the white guy team, I play vollyball w them I can’t let you come over and beat them when I’m one of best players!

I hung out and talked w brothers more. Not all of them, the guys in there for selling drugs or who were shot callers in gangs. Just my kind of ppl! lol. Didn’t care what color anyone is!

It def took them awhile to figure me out cause don’t think they ever met a Mfer like me. Like I said I wasnt one these pussy white boys who tried to sound black or join the little gangs, I wasn’t a racist skinhead,, I was just me. i think before me those were the only kid of white ppl they ever seen! Lol.

Ended up being pretty good friends w some i still talk to. I’ve even let the n-word slip around them some and at 1st I’m like oh shit and they look little surprised then they say it ok coming from you 50, just don’t let it happen too much! Lol.

I heard that Kant is a super popular prison read. Like prisoners wanting to read the most complicated stuff to force themselves to take their minds off things.

Umm how do you read a lot without understanding sentences?

Practical sort of how-to like how to make money books would bore the hell out of me lol.

Obviously I understand wtf they look like. I’m just not exactly good at structuring them or punctuating them myself if you haven’t noticed!

The only how-to make money books I would read would be like a book by a huge drug runner. Lol

That's actually a really cool first-hand account of prison. I knew from movies that prison is divided by race so at least that bit's accurate.

Why were you called 50?

Obviously I understand wtf they look like. I’m just not exactly good at structuring them or punctuating them myself if you haven’t noticed!

The only how-to make money books I would read would be like a book by a huge drug runner. Lol

Trafficking seems really easy. Just obvious risk involved and prolly hard to get out of it. Ok so not easy I guess (in a different sense). (I'd never do it or advocate for it).

Trafficking seems really easy. Just obvious risk involved and prolly hard to get out of it. Ok so not easy I guess (in a different sense). (I'd never do it or advocate for it).

I thought it was easy, I mean it takes big balls but not exactly rocket science. You would think anyways, but when I was out on bond I tried keeping everything set up for couple my partners so they could keep it rolling and the dumb asses fucked it all up. Guess that kinda why I got in trouble in 1st place, I always did all the shit myself cause I never trusted anyone else to do shit right.

Well Bank, we fucked up this thread by talking about knocking pregnant women down the stairs and drug trafficking LOL pretty good shit

It was super strange for me at 1st when i got locked up in Mississippi. I wasn’t used to that shit, I always spoke hustler and got along w anyone when we could make money off each other.

You right it super racial in the south. Mfers didn’t know wtf to think of me. The white ppl were super suspicious cause I got along w blacks more than them, the old black guys looked at me suspicious as hell like why don’t this this cracker hang out w his own kind.

As they say tho, real recognizes real. Some days I played volleyball w mostly white guys and the brothers gave me shit for not being on the court w them, other days I played B-ball w the brothers. Whenever the brothers came over to play volleyball they always give me shit for playing on white guys team. I just say it not the white guy team, I play vollyball w them I can’t let you come over and beat them when I’m one of best players!

I hung out and talked w brothers more. Not all of them, the guys in there for selling drugs or who were shot callers in gangs. Just my kind of ppl! lol. Didn’t care what color anyone is!

It def took them awhile to figure me out cause don’t think they ever met a Mfer like me. Like I said I wasnt one these pussy white boys who tried to sound black or join the little gangs, I wasn’t a racist skinhead,, I was just me. i think before me those were the only kid of white ppl they ever seen! Lol.

Ended up being pretty good friends w some i still talk to. I’ve even let the n-word slip around them some and at 1st I’m like oh shit and they look little surprised then they say it ok coming from you 50, just don’t let it happen too much! Lol.
Jail or prison?

Well I mean you sit in jail till they take you to prison so both...I did little over 3 years. Most of it was in what they call satellites which was pretty Cake for real.
It’s wild here....you could sit in the parish, what you would call County, for soccer numbers easyyyyyy

It’s wild here....you could sit in the parish, what you would call County, for soccer numbers easyyyyyy

Mfers held me at some Hoosier ass county jail like 50isj miles south of Memphis for 6 months without a bond calling me a flight risk (prob accurate, lol), guess thought they were gonna scare me into snitching cause they come back every month or so w round table of suits. When that never worked my old lady got me some hotshot expensive Fukk lawyer and he finally got me a bond. 10k cash plus had to put my brothers house up, Mfers.

Of course soon as I bonded they were all a sudden in big hurry for trial! Funny how that works! Lawyer prolonged the shit w motion to suppress hearings and shit that kept me out 6-7 months but once they denied all that like the crooked fukks they are I had to cave and plea guilty cause they offered to drop the intent. In Mississippi they call any kind of distribution, sales, trafficking a violent crime so had I lost I’d been looking at doing 85% of a 10-30 year sentence!! For 1st felony and mfin weed!!

Shit stupid but 2.5 to 3.5 sounded way more doable than freaking 8.5 or more!! Once I was sentenced and taken into custody I wasn’t in county long, maybe 8-10 days and off I went to the main processing place everyone goes to get classified. That place was the biggest shithole and by far the worst month of my entire sentence, lol

Last edited:
How could that shit possibly be considered a violent crime. That makes zero sense to me.

It gets funnier. After they call you a violent criminal they in no time at all send you to one these satellites across the state that have fairly minimal security and you go out and work among the ppl (for free) daily with no supervision other than some random person who signs you out to take you to job. (Not like a guard or cop or po or anything w weapon). Often putting things in your hands you could easily kill ppl with.

The last 6-7 months i had a super sweet job working for head start which like freaking preschool delivering food to all the kitchen, be in kitchens while they cooking. I mean I ain’t no sick fuck or anything but I found it rather strange some us were considered violent at sentencing but now we unsupervised in kitchens they cooking for kids!!! Around knives!!! With the woman cooks always feeding me :) so violent. Lol

Back