Ohio State vs Clemson Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ohio State vs Clemson FIESTA BOWL - CFP Semifinal - NCAAF Picks and Predictions

Ohio State vs Clemson
Tuesday, December 28, 2019 at 8 p.m. ET (ESPN) at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona

Travis Etienne’s Soft Competition

Running back Travis Etienne is critical for Clemson’s betting success.

In the Tigers’ two ATS losses against Power Five competition — which were Texas A&M and North Carolina -- Etienne failed to reach 5 YPC.

The run defenses that Clemson has faced are not strong The five best ones rank from 33rd to 64th in YPC allowed.

Those five are: Florida State, Texas A&M, South Carolina, North Carolina, and NC State. Against these teams, Etienne averaged 5.3 YPC.

So the fact that Etienne averages 8.2 YPC this season is absolutely a testament to the softness of his competition, namely the teams that rank bottom-half in YPC allowed.

Ohio State’s Well-Tested Run Defense

Being in the Big Ten, the Buckeyes have faced the cream of the rush attack crop.

In their first game against Wisconsin and its elite running back Jonathan Taylor, Taylor mustered 52 yards on only 20 carries.

Taylor’s second game was better statistically. He, along with Wisconsin, benefited from facing the same team a second time. But the bulk of Taylor’s yards came in the first half, in particular on two 45-yard runs.

Ohio State’s run defense will be the strongest that Etienne will have seem. OSU ranks sixth in allowing 2.8 YPC.

Chase Young

With limited help from Etienne, added onus will be placed on Lawrence.

I think the Buckeyes can make Trevor Lawrence work in multiple respects.

Lawrence loves to go deep by hitting his receivers on vertical routes.

But in waiting for those receivers to go downfield, he’ll have to elude the nation’s top pass rusher in Heisman candidate Chase Young.

Jeff Okudah

When Ohio State isn’t able to sack Lawrence, the Buckeyes own the personnel in the secondary to prevent big passing plays.

Jeff Okudah is the top projected cornerback in the upcoming NFL draft. He possesses reliable technique that makes it harder for receivers to create space for themselves.

Okudah is already extremely quick based on 40 time and his ball skills are underpinned by his physicality.

But Ohio State will need more than Okudah in order to account for Clemson’s depth of pass-catching talent.

Ohio State’s Well-Tested Pass Defense

When Ohio State has been damaged in the passing game — namely in the first half against Michigan — it missed Shaun Wade.

Wade is a projected second- or third-rounder and an important piece along with second-team All-Big Ten corner Damon Arnette.

With the likes of first-teamer Jordan Fuller, OSU has the safety help available over the top to help its corners.

Besides, OSU’s pass defense is well-tested. In terms of quarterback rating, it faced three top-15 quarterbacks: Indiana’s Peyton Ramsey, Wisconsin’s Jack Coan, and Penn State’s Sean Clifford.

Only Ramsey and Coan threw for a passing touchdown. Ramsey threw for the highest yardage total, just 162, excepting Coan’s second try against Ohio State.

Clemson’s Defensive Line

It shows that Clemson lost three of its four defensive linemen to last year's NFL draft. It’s also not as big as it was in the interior.

Clemson faced an elite running back in Boston College’s A.J. Dillon, who averaged four YPC on 19 attempts.

Four YPC may not sound like a lot. But note that BC lacks any semblance of a passing game to alleviate pressure from Dillon. Plus, Dillon is not really a big-play threat.

He shares with Ohio State's J.K. Dobbins the superbness of vision, power, and cut-back ability and advanced metrics show both to run behind a high-ranking run-protection unit. In fact, OSU’s ranks still decisively better than Boston College’s.

When Dillon wasn’t met by extra run defenders, he could exploit sizable holes against a front seven that mounted minimal penetration or resistance.

Dobbins is a workhorse who’s averaging 6.5 YPS while accruing 101 more carries than Etienne.

Justin Fields

He’ll also benefit from having what Ohio State sorely missed in 2016: an elite passing threat

Fields is PFF’s second-highest-ranked quarterback and one of the five highest in PFF’s history.

Most of his throws were attempted under unsafe protection. A nation’s-highest 72 percent of his 2,953 passing yards came through the air and he completed 66 percent of his downfield throws.

His coolness and composure and his accuracy downfield help explain his 40 touchdowns thrown to one interception.

Total

Ohio State will run a lot of clock with its ground game. Fields will weather ingenious blitzes dialed up by Clemson’s top-notch defensive coordinator and help OSU seal the game.

Defensively, the Buckeyes will limit Travis Etienne and force Trevor Lawrence to do almost all of the work himself by grinding out drives denuded of big plays.

Best Bet: Buckeyes +2 (-105) with Heritage, Buckeyes ML (+115) with 5Dimes, Under 63.5 (-105) with 5Dimes

Just don’t understand this narrative when everything Clemson brings will also be the best toughest test osu has seen by far. The good rushing attacks osu faces are not supported by any kind of scary passing attack or parameter speed allowing them to load up. The “top rated” QBs osu allegedly faced are not guys who gonna play at the next level far as i know: they certainly not gonna be #1 picks like Lawrence will be next year. Everyone talking bout who osu has played compared to Clemson loses me since neither has played anyone who close to as good as who they facing here.

This was a tough article to write. I tried to be fair...I did not mention the talent disparity because it repeatedly doesn‘t matter for Clemson. I tried not to overemphasize the whole „tested“ thing, giving OSU a free pass for having had a harder schedule. I also didn‘t want to look at Clemson‘s resume uncritically. I think the difficulty of writing up this game reflects the difficulties one encounters in capping it.

But of course this doesn‘t mean I did anywhere near a perfect job if such a thing even exists. Totally fair to criticize and have a different opinion...please share, as always...

This was a tough article to write. I tried to be fair...I did not mention the talent disparity because it repeatedly doesn‘t matter for Clemson. I tried not to overemphasize the whole „tested“ thing, giving OSU a free pass for having had a harder schedule. I also didn‘t want to look at Clemson‘s resume uncritically. I think the difficulty of writing up this game reflects the difficulties one encounters in capping it.

But of course this doesn‘t mean I did anywhere near a perfect job if such a thing even exists. Totally fair to criticize and have a different opinion...please share, as always...
I was honestly joking around...it was kind of playing off 'another' thread.

Couldn’t agree more, I have no idea how anyone can wager on this game with a strong conviction either way. But that’s why I think it’s the most intriguing college football matchup we’ve seen in a really long time

Biggest factor in this game could be the health of Justin Fields. If that knee ain’t right, which the fact he’s publicly said he’s about 85% (meaning he’s prob less than that), could be a problem.

I personally liked Clemson here anyways, been there done that, the stage won’t affect them, and Dabo plays up the no respect angle, even tho they are slight favs here

Should be a close one either way imo and a great game to watch

I can't get over how on the money this was for almost all of the first half. You mentioned that Lawrence would have to carry the load, and they were forced to use his running to grind out drives, and they somehow hit that big play. Kudos on a great handicap. Had Wade not dropped his helmet on that hit on Lawrence, this game might be over. And if Dobbins could hang on to either of those passes.......

I honestly stopped watching after Lawrence dipped his helmet into Wade’s wrap-up tackle. Ridiculous to have the kid kicked out of the biggest game of his life. Just so tired of this (split-second) targeting bullshit.

I was on the other side and feel very fortunate to have cashed that ticket. Your analysis was spot on and would have cashed if not for Clemson's ability to just find a way to win. OSU was pretty easily the better team last night and I think 80-85% of people who watch this stuff for a living were surprised by that, but you were all over it. This was a great handicap by you VC.

Back