NL Central Betting Recap and Futures Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NL Central Betting Recap and Futures Outlook

Read on for a recap of the first half of the season for the NL Central and what NL Central futures are worth betting on.

MLB Pick: Milwaukee

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NL Central Standings <br>1) Cubs (55-38)<br>2) Brewers (55-43)<br>3) Cardinals (48-46)<br>4) Pirates (48-49)<br>5) Reds (43-53)</p>&mdash; Sports Daily (@SportsDGI) <a href=" ">July 16, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NL Central Odds:

Chicago -300
Milwaukee +300
St. Louis +1400
Pittsburgh +5000

The first half of the season hasn’t come close to inspiring the level of confidence in Chicago that would justify the heavy chalk that oddsmakers are asking its backers to lay. The Cubs have a small lead in the division and with the Brewers expecting to wake up from their recent slump and St. Louis revived by a long overdue managerial change, the NL Central could see one of the tightest division races.

Oddsmakers are biased towards the Cubs, who won the division last year. But they have regressed in a crucial area, starting pitching, with the loss of Jake Arrieta. Yu Darvish is not living up to what Arrieta was, going 1-3 with a 4.95 ERA. Cubs opponents will hope for him to return from the DL as soon as possible. Tyler Chatwood is another new signing who distinguishes himself with his impressive spin rate, but has yet to find sufficient command and mechanical comfort, without which even the best stuff is useless. His ERA is 5.04. The bright spot of Chicago’s rotation has been Jon Lester with a 2.58 ERA. But a deeper look shows that he is actually pitching worse than last year and is bound to regress statistically and lose his spot as the second-most profitable pitcher (+12.7 units). His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is 4.34. He has been surviving by stranding runners at an unsustainably high rate, has been fortunate with a very low opposing BABIP (batting average of balls in play) given his high rate of hard contact allowed, and has gotten away with walking too many batters. The Cubs’ next biggest hope, Jose Quintana, has a 4.64 FIP and has yet to show his 2016 form. Kyle Hendricks is deservedly the second-least profitable pitcher (-12.5 units). Chicago’s best signings have been in the bullpen, where Steve Cishek and Brandon Morrow have been reliable, and which ranks just behind the Brewers’ pen in terms of FIP.

The Cubs’ lineup shows strong quality on the surface, helping the „over“ hit in 14 of its last 20 games. Six different guys are batting over .278. Javier Baez leads the team with .566 slugging. But it has benefited from the highest BABIP, despite having the fifth-highest soft contact percentage, and will likely regress statistically

Milwaukee's starting rotation has suffered an unfortunate amount of injuries. Zach Davies, who had anyhow been struggling, will be out for an undetermined amount of time. Jimmy Nelson, who is typically thought of as Milwaukee’s top starter, may not return this season. Most recently, the reliable and strongly improved Junior Guerra hit the DL for an unspecified time frame, but will hopefully return soon. Wade Miley hasn’t managed a sub-four FIP since 2013. Rookie Freddy Peralta has no proven track record— a low ERA, which can easily balloon when lineups begin to figure him out, and a high walk rate. Jhoulys Chacin has been the rotation’s most profitable pitcher, yielding +7.30 units. He puts up pretty good numbers, but has benefited from higher-than-average run support per game and I don’t expect that profitability to continue. I see more promise in Brent Suter, whose FIP is 4.31, but can progress to where he was last year if he can keep the ball in the ballpark. Finally, Chase Anderson’s FIP is over 5.00, but he’s allowed two runs or fewer in his last five outings. The best of Milwaukee’s pitching is in its bullpen that ranks seventh in FIP, led by the untouchable Josh Hader (1.71 FIP) and Jeremy Jeffress, (2.68 FIP) who have allowed three combined runs in their last 21 innings. Because its starters are troublesome, though, it ranks eighth in innings pitched.

The Brewers’ lineup shows a small statistical downgrade from Chicago. But its new signings Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich are paying off. Both are batting over .290. Jesus Aguilar leads the team with .621 slugging. Travis Shaw has been hitting better the past two weeks and should progress to his last year numbers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

St. Louis’ starting rotation shows the most promise. It features All-Star Miles Mikolas, who, with a 2.79 ERA and 3.25 FIP, has been an awesome surprise addition. He is the team’s most profitable pitcher, yielding +5.35 units. St. Louis is 8-2 in his road starts (+6.1 units) and 8-0 in day games (+8.1 units). Bettors should expect that profitability to continue. Carlos Martinez’ ERA is „only“ 3.08 because he struggled massively to find his form after returning from the DL. But Martinez has yielded an FIP under 2.50 in three of his last four starts. He simply has to work on his pre-game routine in order to lower his 4.50 first-inning ERA and he’ll be that much more effective. Until he figures that out, look to bet on the opposing underdog to score first when he starts. The Cards’ rotation features more youth and inexperience. Jack Flaherty has been a positive surprise, once the finally fired Manager Mike Matheny stopped trusting washed-up veteran and fan favorite Adam Wainwright over him. Flaherty has a 3.76 FIP, showing strong stuff and command, and he promises to keep growing in the second half. Luke Weaver is statistically only slightly worse, but is very streaky. He has allowed three runs in his past 14 innings. Tragically, Michael Wacha is injured and his return date remains unspecified. The real problem with St. Louis’ pitching consists in its bullpen, which has pitched much fewer innings than Chicago’s and Milwaukee’s, but is yielding a higher FIP. Like its rotation, the bullpen is led by a young guy, Jordan Hicks, who has amazing velocity, but seems to have only an on or off switch, with no in between.

Only one Cardinals hitter is touching .300, Jose Martinez. Instead, it’s heavily dependent on power, with five guys mustering double-digit home runs. This dependence makes it inconsistent and unreliable. The Cards’ lineup is especially prone to letdowns. In its last four games after scoring double-digit runs, the Cards have produced three combined runs.

The worst part of St. Louis is its inclination to shoot itself in the foot with basic fundamentals. The Cards have the eighth most outs on bases, despite running a low number of total bases, and the most errors.

I am a big believer in value, which means finding a gap between implied and actual probability. The Cubs are being asked to win the division three out of four times when it doesn’t have a pitching advantage over Milwaukee—whose ERA is inflated by being in a very hitter-friendly ballpark—and possibly not a hitting one either. I capped Milwaukee as being more like +150, so I see tremendous value in +300, in what will be a tight race, unless the injury bug proves non-discriminatory and hits the Cubs as it has Milwaukee. Otherwise, St. Louis’ pitching has awesome talent, but a lot of youth, which, like its lineup, is streaky and inconsistent. Pittsburgh has played better lately, but its best starter has a 3.91 ERA.

I was looking for the Cubs, but -300 is fucking ridiculous. Not going to back a team either with high-school level base-running and defense, a very young rotation, a bad bullpen that will blow any lead that its power-heavy and inconsistent lineup might procure for it. I feel like I had to take Milwaukee

Last edited:
As much as I appreciate Brewers' input, I didn't find enough to, in my opinion, substantiate his pessimism. The Brewers' did hit a slump around this time last season, but it seems to me much more that Chicago got hot at the right time than that Milwaukee had a meltdown. It's a slump like every team has one and i'm sure the Brewers will get rolling again in no time...

Last edited:
I appreciate your Brewers optimism but I totally disagree especially regarding the lineup. The Brewers are putting out an automatic out at 2b,SS, and Catcher every night. So no the Brewers lineup cannot match the team from Chicago unfortunately.

I think this division is over. If I had to bet I would lay the -300 but that is not the type of bet I ever make. I wouldn't find value on the Brewers at anything less than +1000.

I really hope that I am proven wrong and the Brewers end up winning the division but I not only have them not winning the division but missing the playoffs altogether. Maybe its just my pessimism from being a fan of this team as long as I have but I don't think they are very good other than the bullpen and defensively which is not enough to be a serious contender.

Last edited:
Who knows maybe I will be proven wrong. I was against the Cain signing and Yelich trade and I was 100% wrong about both of those moves. My track record with betting is more in line with Mush from A Bronx Tale than Crimson K so the Brewers will probably end up winning the world series which would make me very happy.

For the Brewers to turn things around they need a minimum of two bats. I would go get a couple of cheap rentals like Asdrubral Cabrera from the Mets instead of trading good prospects to rent Machado. The Brewers must also give a chance to Corbin Burnes and Brandon Woodruff in the rotation instead of retread stiffs like Miley who doesn't belong in a major league rotation.

I’m with Brewers888 on this one. This race to me is over and -300 feels incredibly cheap. I look at it as removing the brewers and seeing a much more talented Cubs squad sitting 7.5 games up on my cards.

Cubs winning this division more than 80% of the time seems very fair to me and I think the -300 actually is plus ev at this point mainly because I think that brewers staff continues to come back to reality and talent gap overall is just too much.

I just couldn‘t imagine -300 for a future if nothing else what if injuries happen to Chicago and Manny comes to Milwaukee

I'd say the odds of that many significant injuries plus Manny coming to Milwaukee....if that's what it takes for this to lose than it's worth that price

In the early days I just avoided everything -150 and higher because of the juice. Now if I feel it's plus EV...than it's plus EV so it's worth firing on. Of course you have to manage your risk and in this case it's not something with enough margin that I'd tie up a bunch of funds for a couple months but at my local/credit shop where I've got tons of credit and can hit it without tying up physical assets? Why not.

Completely off topic but my local/credit as become my go to for all season long futures and I play way more now (last 2 years) than I ever did because of that. I can tie up a huge amount with them and don't feel there is a lot of downside risk and still have my normal bankroll to play day to day/week to week on at off shore joints.

I cant disagree with Brewers888 because he‘s the Brewers expert i‘m not I just had a more positive interpretation of what I looked into and am principally opposed to such chalk. There should be a RL option for futures like Cubs to win by 4.5 games at -110

I’m with Brewers888 on this one. This race to me is over and -300 feels incredibly cheap. I look at it as removing the brewers and seeing a much more talented Cubs squad sitting 7.5 games up on my cards.

Cubs winning this division more than 80% of the time seems very fair to me and I think the -300 actually is plus ev at this point mainly because I think that brewers staff continues to come back to reality and talent gap overall is just too much.

The Brewers pitching staff is not the problem. Derek Johnson the pitching coach gets every last ounce out of this staff. The Brewers big issue is having three automatic out in the lineup besides the pitcher and with their current injuries many nights the lineup only goes 4 deep.

The biggest issue with the Brewers starting pitchers is that they continue to go with Wade Miley and Brent Suter over Corbin Burnes and Brandon Woodruff who both have top of the rotation stuff. There is only so much even a great pitching coach can do with Miley and Suter but somehow Johnson gets as much out of them as possible.

Could the Brewers use a top of the rotation stud like deGrom; the answer is a resounding yes but it would destroy the minor league depth that we have built up and a small market team cannot afford to trade 4 or 5 top prospects for any pitcher. The Brewers issues are much more related to a terrible offense no matter what idiots like John Smoltz and the rest of the national media says.

Last edited:
In the early days I just avoided everything -150 and higher because of the juice. Now if I feel it's plus EV...than it's plus EV so it's worth firing on. Of course you have to manage your risk and in this case it's not something with enough margin that I'd tie up a bunch of funds for a couple months but at my local/credit shop where I've got tons of credit and can hit it without tying up physical assets? Why not.

I agree with you that -300 is a more than fair price.

The Brewers pitching staff is not the problem. Derek Johnson the pitching coach gets every last ounce out of this staff. The Brewers big issue is having three automatic out in the lineup besides the pitcher and with their current injuries many nights the lineup only goes 4 deep.

The biggest issue with the Brewers starting pitchers is that they continue to go with Wade Miley and Brent Suter over Corbin Burnes and Brandon Woodruff who both have top of the rotation stuff. There is only so much even a great pitching coach can do with Miley and Suter but somehow Johnson gets as much out of them as possible.

Could the Brewers use a top of the rotation stud like deGrom; the answer is a resounding yes but it would destroy the minor league depth that we have built up and a small market team caanot afford to trade 4 or 5 top prospects for any pitcher. The Brewers issues are much more related to a terrible offense no matter what idiots like John Smoltz and the rest of the national media says.

Hey you gotta admit tho that Suter has a pretty nice home run swing lol

Just curious what your fair market prices would be for the Cubs/Brewers/Cards given the standings right now? I like bounce my numbers off others to ensure i'm not too far out of whack but I saw you mentioned +150 for the Brewers and curious where you'd put the fair Cubbies price at?

Thanks for the article...I appreciate conversations like this. Who cares if folks agree/disagree...it's about sharing information which you put out there for us

Just curious what your fair market prices would be for the Cubs/Brewers/Cards given the standings right now? I like bounce my numbers off others to ensure i'm not too far out of whack but I saw you mentioned +150 for the Brewers and curious where you'd put the fair Cubbies price at?

Thanks for the article...I appreciate conversations like this. Who cares if folks agree/disagree...it's about sharing information which you put out there for us

I was thinking -180. Around where the Dodgers are. I dont see how it makes sense that the Cubs are twice as likely to win the Central as Dodgers to win the West

Just to show you where i'm at....based on projections I use and not what I would bet or accept action on....

I can't speak to the Dodgers comparison as I feel that's apples to oranges but I see what you are saying

I'd have Cubs around -600
Brewers +1200
Cards +3600

Basically I think the Cubs win this division much better than 80% of the time (probably closer to 90%), Brewers closer to 7/8% of the time, and Cards a tiny 2-3% of the time

and of course I hope i'm dead wrong...I'm a Cards fan like yourself but odds I think are off the charts that the Cubs take the division given where the Brewers/Cards are at this point

Starting pitching ERA/FIP comparison:

Cubs: 3.88 ERA 4.67 FIP
Brewers: 3.87 ERA 4.30 FIP

Bullpen ERA/FIP comparison

Cubs: 3.09 ERA 3.74 FIP
Brewers: 3.33 ERA 3.58 FIP

Lineup OPS comparison:

Cubs .771
Brewers .724

And I think the Cubs' lineup regresses based on how fortunate they've been with BABIP

Cubs rank top 4 in OPS with Yanks, Astros, Bo Sox

But 25th in starting pitching FIP is a big deal imo
10th in bullpen FIP

Brewers are 14th in OPS (this would substantiate Brewers' point about the hitting troubles)

18th in starting pitching FIP
7th in bullpen FIP

Every time I see more than two notifications I see Brewers888 has been going nuts with the like button lol :) i‘m the same way, I advocate for a super like button to create extra distinction

My problem is being so certain with a team whose starting rotation is of dubious quality
Then maybe my basic projections are way off and brewers888 is probably right. I’m probably undervaluing a couple arms in the Brewers rotation that I expect to regress.

Not a big deal just where I feel fair prices are and that’s I think most models would put them.

Where is the -300 anyway? My best option is -425 for the cubs and +365 for the brewers so if you do play the brewers I’d shop a bit because I think you can find better than the +300.

My credit shop doesn’t have the division prices so I’m unlikely to hit it at all unless it shows up there.

I think I just saw the dumbest movie ever. This guy chases four guys who killed his wife. He kills three. Turns out they didn‘t do it. So the whole movie had no point lol. The Bravados, a Western with Gregory Peck

I appreciate your Brewers optimism but I totally disagree especially regarding the lineup. The Brewers are putting out an automatic out at 2b,SS, and Catcher every night. So no the Brewers lineup cannot match the team from Chicago unfortunately.

I think this division is over. If I had to bet I would lay the -300 but that is not the type of bet I ever make. I wouldn't find value on the Brewers at anything less than +1000.

I really hope that I am proven wrong and the Brewers end up winning the division but I not only have them not winning the division but missing the playoffs altogether. Maybe its just my pessimism from being a fan of this team as long as I have but I don't think they are very good other than the bullpen and defensively which is not enough to be a serious contender.

I agree with you, their starting pitching just isn’t good enough and they don’t even eat innings so that pen is gonna be taxed down the stretch, a real shame for them cause that pen is filthy.

Cubs starting rotation not all that much better but I just assume the scrubbies will go out and make some moves to help their rotation.

I was thinking -180. Around where the Dodgers are. I dont see how it makes sense that the Cubs are twice as likely to win the Central as Dodgers to win the West

West has much stronger teams competing w doyers imo. I like zona, rox, and San Fran better than brewers or cardinals right now., although I do have a little optimism that the cards might play better ball with matheny gone, most our lineup has been way worse than their career numbers so think it a fairly safe assumption they will play better, how much better remains to be seen. Hopefully dejung can regain his power, my brother was telling me other day he not real confident in that saying wrist injuries often zap a guys power for some time after they return?

One of cards biggest problems is Martinez being our best hitter a real problem since having him in the lineup makes our defense worse not only at 1st where he plays but also at whichever position carp has to be playing at. I doubt we can get much for him but really feel they need to move Martinez to a AL squad since he has to be a DH to provide much of any value to a club. Unfortunately with him out our lineup looks bad, with him in our defense is terrible.

I hated the lineup on Sunday which was new managers 1st game, yadi hitting second is no damn good, need him 5th as he most reliable guy to take a good ab with runners on base so he has to be 5th imo. We really need Pham or Fowler to get their shit together cause we seriously lacking in the 2 hole which I assume why he tried batting yadi there. Ozuna has to be better or this season over.

I’m not all that worried about the pen, I think we have enough more than capable guys and unlike scrubbies or brewers our starters gonna get us 6+ innings more nights than not.

Hopefully getting rid of maybury when they axed matheny will help our overall approach at the plate., I can’t take anymore of them taking every 1st pitch strike with this stupid delusion they are working counts and tiring out pitchers, all they doing is putting themselves in a 0-1 hole and increasing their chances of striking out.

the cubs have played kind of badly and still have the best record in the league. rizzo has generally been bad, bryant hurt or bad the last six weeks. got nothing from darvish, quintana just mediocre, hendricks way below his ability with a crazy bad first inning problem. chatwood as bad as possible, prob won't correct itself though. Unless you think the bullpen falls apart, I don't think you can hope the pitching is going to be any worse than the first half. on offense, the cubs are fairly easily the best in the league - best AVG, best OBP, 2nd in SLG, best baserunning, best WAR, best wOBA, and most runs. With their depth, they rest their guys more than anyone which is why their second half records under maddon have looked like this:

2015: 50-25
2016: 50-23
2017: 49-25

overall, that's 149-73 for a win % of .671. yeah, they're pretty big chalk for a reason.

the cubs have played kind of badly and still have the best record in the league. rizzo has generally been bad, bryant hurt or bad the last six weeks. got nothing from darvish, quintana just mediocre, hendricks way below his ability with a crazy bad first inning problem. chatwood as bad as possible, prob won't correct itself though. Unless you think the bullpen falls apart, I don't think you can hope the pitching is going to be any worse than the first half. on offense, the cubs are fairly easily the best in the league - best AVG, best OBP, 2nd in SLG, best baserunning, best WAR, best wOBA, and most runs. With their depth, they rest their guys more than anyone which is why their second half records under maddon have looked like this:

2015: 50-25
2016: 50-23
2017: 49-25

overall, that's 149-73 for a win % of .671. yeah, they're pretty big chalk for a reason.

Damn, I knew they been good in second half but that just sick!!

Next year cards starting rotation is gonna be filthy assuming Reyes can finally be healthy. I would assume we gonna get to see Hudson sometime before end of this year, always think it’s good to let these kids get a taste before they come into next season as a fixture in rotation. So many times you see them struggle so let’s get that out of way now!! Lol..

i kind of think reyes is going to end up in the pen. he missed all of 17, missing virtually all of this year, threw 100-110 innings 14-16. i have a hard time seeing him stay in the rotation at this point, which is a shame.

might not be the worst thing. the future of the game might be expecting all but aces to pitch 5 innings and then you have four or five guys that are pitching all of your high leverage innings from the 6th to the 8th and then a closer for the 9th. That basically is what the Cubs are this year. Lester, Hendricks, Q, and Montgomery are all basically 5, maybe 6, inning guys and then they go to Edwards, Strop, Cishek, Wilson, and sometime Rosario to get all the important outs before Morrow finishes. Reyes could easily be Josh Hader.

The -300 makes sense when you consider that Cubs were pretty decent favorites even when Milwaukee was up. Cubs also have a 5 game lead in the loss column. I’d be shocked if they don’t win this division. I think Brewers finish third without any big moves.

Back