Nick Adenhart killed in car accident

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Angels Starting Pitcher Killed After Ball Game

Posted Apr 9th 2009 10:49AM by TMZ Staff
TMZ has learned Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed in a felony hit-and-run car accident in Fullerton, California early this morning -- hours after he pitched in a game last night.

0409_adenhart_cbs.jpg

Cops say someone driving a minivan blew through a red light, causing the Mitsubishi that Adenhart was riding in to hit a light pole. Three people were killed in the crash, including Nick.

Cops say the person driving the van fled the scene -- but was later caught and charged with felony hit-and-run. The suspect is currently being treated for injuries in a local hospital.

We're told one of the other men killed in the crash was also affiliated with the Angels organization.

Nick was 22-years-old.

FYI -- Nick pitched his ass off last night, striking out 5 guys in 6 scoreless innings. His performance was hailed by sportswriters as a "brilliant effort by a 22-year-old right-hander making his fourth Major League start."

Last edited:
wow, this is awful. Kid was a star in the making. I read this whole thread hoping for it to be a sick joke. God bless his family, kid had so much to look forward to. my thoughts go out to everyone in the Angels organization

not that it matters much, but it sucks that the angels blew a lead for him right before this happened

saying one other was 'affiliated with the Angels'

still shocked over this news. Had him starting last night on my fantasy keeper league, and now this... way too young,

RIP

Unreal. Kid was nails last night for the Angels.

Not that is matters but the Angels pitching staff is cursed this year or something.

What a horrible tragedy.

Nick Adenhart dead

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP)—Los Angeles Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart and two other people were killed Thursday when a minivan ran a red light and struck their sports car.
Adenhart, 22, died after undergoing surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center spokesman John Murray said.
A fourth person remained hospitalized in critical condition.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...lug=ap-angels-pitcherkilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kid pitched a hell of a game that was blown by Fuentes, he had a bright future in this league.

RIP.

RIP Nick.

I understand it is trivial but he was just one of just two players from my original keeper league draft five seasons ago. Been following him since he was 18, it is a weird feeling as I feel as if I invested a lot of time and emotion following his career and it's a blow to the gut.

RIP Nick.

I understand it is trivial but he was just one of just two players from my original keeper league draft five seasons ago. Been following him since he was 18, it is a weird feeling as I feel as if I invested a lot of time and emotion following his career and it's a blow to the gut.

Wow, thats nuts.

WOW We just never know when our time is up guys. Tell your kids, your parents or anyone you love how much you love them cause we just never know. What a waste. May he RIP.

A preliminary test indicated the driver of the minivan had a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit, police Lt. Kevin Hamilton said at a news conference

Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, of Riverside, fled but was arrested a half-hour later for investigation of felony hit-and-run driving. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries from the crash and could face charges including vehicular manslaughter or possibly murder, Hamilton said.
There was no immediate word on his condition.
Gallo had a previous drunken driving conviction and was driving with a suspended license, police said. A 21-year-old passenger in the van was treated for minor injuries at a hospital.

icon13.gif

Cop: Driver of Van in Adenhart Crash Drank

Posted Apr 9th 2009 2:09PM by TMZ Staff
0409_police_fireman_bn.jpg
During the Nick Adenhart press conference, a Fullerton PD spokesman said the man who caused the accident that killed Nickand two others was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

The spokesman also said he believes the man, 22-year-old Andrew Gallo, was also driving on a suspended license because of a prior DUI. The cop said Gallo will probably be booked on felony hit-and-run, felony DUI, vehicular manslaughter and possibly murder.

Also -- the Angels game tonight has been canceled.

Person Who Drove Adenhart -- So.Cal Girl

Posted Apr 9th 2009 2:28PM by TMZ Staff
We just got photos of Courtney Stewart, the driver of the Mitsubishi Eclipse in the fatal crash which killed Nick Adenhart. Sadly, she also passed away.

0409_courtney_stewart_ex2.jpg

Courtney, 20, a student at Cal State Fullerton was also a member of Alpha Chi Omega. We spoke to a member of her sorority, who was inconsolable.

This Is the Guy Who Caused the Adenhart Crash

Posted Apr 9th 2009 2:55PM by TMZ Staff
0409_gallo.jpg
We've just obtained a photo of Andrew Gallo, who was driving the van that caused the accident that killed Nick Adenhart and two others.

Cops believe Gallo was driving under the influence and on a suspended license because of a prior DUI. He fled the scene and was arrested. Gallo could be booked on murder charges, along with vehicular manslaughter, hit-and-run and felony DUI.

Adenhart Crash Survivor Conscious, Moving Legs

Posted Apr 9th 2009 3:13PM by TMZ Staff
0409_jon_wilhite_ex.jpg
The only survivor of the brutal car crash that killed 3 people, including pro baseball player Nick Adenhart, is currently in critical condition at the UC Irvine Medical Center.

We're told Jon Wilhite, a former baseball star at Cal State Fullerton, is moving his legs, but is currently receiving treatment in the medical center's Intensive Care Unit.

TMZ just spoke with the Director of Athletics for Cal. State Fullerton -- where Jon and the driver of the Mitsubishi, Courtney Stewart, went to school -- who just released this statement:

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of Courtney Stewart and Jon Wilhite. The world of athletics is not equipped for these kinds of tragic events. We understand Jon is conscious and his injuries are not immediately life-threatening."
<!-- POST CONTENTS END --><!-- POST OPTIONS START -->

WOW We just never know when our time is up guys. Tell your kids, your parents or anyone you love how much you love them cause we just never know. What a waste. May he RIP.

as soon as i read this i called my mom to tell her i love her.

...sucks considering he's 2 years older than i am

Back