NHL Monday (huge analysis, 10/10 play inside)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
A small note: despite my 8-0-2 record, this is NHL. Anything is possible in NHL. Columbus can beat Stanley Cup winners 5-0 on a given day, and you can never be sure of anything, same as you can't be sure in any other sport.
However, I am a capper, and I search for discrepancies between bookie estimations and mine. When the discrepancy is big enough, I tend to go big. Never bigger than 10 units (3% of bank) though, which is my maximum play.

Here we go:

Let's remind ourselves of team situations a bit shall we: the Leafs opened the season in Ottawa, lost 3-2, then beat Montreal 4-3, lost to Carolina (1-7!) (both at home), only to bounce back and score a ton on the Islanders, as they beat them 8-1. Now it's not that I don't think Toronto is that bad, I think they'll improve as season progresses, but at the moment I don't rate them better than the Capitals for example.

And the Capitals were the team that were absolutely clueless in Buffalo two days ago. Imagine this. Washington opens the scoring in the first, but the Sabres dominate the ice, create a ton of chances...but nothing. Can't score. "One of those games". Brent Johnson was all over the place. I'll quote Sabres radio pundits: "Brent Johnson is taking up more shots than Ben Johnson used to!"
It looked like a huge struggle but then...
Buffalo recorded a total of 25 shots in the 2nd period ALONE. Up until 4:45 was left on the clock of the 2nd period, the Capitals were up 1:0.
Sabres scored 4 before the clock ran out. That's right, 4 goals in 4:45. Washington scored two more in the third but Buffalo kept pounding and scored three more, only to see the game end 7-3. That's a total of 53 shots in ONE single game.
And coming off a 6-0 thrashing of the Atlanta Thrashers two days prior to that game against Ovechkin and co.
Trust me, I'm not a knee jerk capper, meaning I don't jump to conclusions based on two games only. But having watched and listened (depends on which game we're talking about) these Sabres, they're in their offensive explosion mode.
And against Toronto who have been quite inconsistent. You can't count on them to score either, first they scored 2 in Ottawa and went on a 4 game home stand:

Oct 13, 2007 PIT 6 @ TOR 4
Oct 11, 2007 NYI 1 @ TOR 8
Oct 9, 2007 CAR 7 @ TOR 1
Oct 6, 2007 MTL 3 @ TOR 4

4,1,8,4. And that's AT HOME, against rather inferior opposition to what they'll be facing tonight in Buffalo. The crowd in Buffalo is so fired up, these guys live hockey. And Buffalo have guys scoring from all positions, they have a defenseman (Campbell) who already has 9 points, Spacek scoring (4), Pominville, Roy...these guys are hot right now, and even though it's based on only two games, this sort of chemistry is real. Even if they lose tonight, I don't care. 53 shots on goal against Washington, 13 goals in 2 matches, allowing 4 in the process...

And all that despite losing Briere and Drury in the postseason...Buffalo are just too good right now, they seem to have shaken off the rust following a rough start into the season and will be facing a team that hasn't played on the road yet sans the opening game in Ottawa.
And despite the fact they played AT HOME, in front of their fans, they showed nothing but the ability to lose a game they should be controlling (3-1 lead against Pittsburgh turned into a 4-6 final score for the Pens), the ability to lose a game 7-1 in front of their fans, and yes they killed the Isles who were on b2b coming off a huge emotional win against their city rivals Rangers.

Ok, there's more. Toronto have huge goalie problems right now. Their starting goalie Vesa Toskala has made a heroic effort against the Penguins and had 46 saves. Which is not something he usually does, so if anything, I don't think he'd be able to stop nearly as many shots again tonight (note once again, and on the road).
He is 1-3-0 with a 4.48 GAA this season, only .878 save percentage. And despite the fact Toskala had a big night against Pittsburgh (it was his defense who were poor), Toronto are giving the nod to Andrew Raycroft (1-0, 2.44 GAA). That hasn't been confirmed yet, but regardless of who is in net tonight for the Leafs this play stands.

As far as the Leafs are concerned, they have Sundin, Antropov, Steen and Stajan who are hot, but let me tell you, they haven't faced a team like Buffalo as of yet. And especially not on the road (minus Ottawa but it was opening day for the Sens as well, even though they won 3-2). Buffalo will kill them with their fast skating, breakaways and powerplay efficiency.

Leafs' forward Alex Steen admitted himself taking too many penalties is what is costing them. Guess what? Buffalo did exactly that to the Caps, took advantage of their PP chances (Buffalo are 8th on the PP while Toronto are 25th in the NHL even though these numbers mean squat this early in the season). Buffalo PK units are also troublesome but that would worry me more had they played on the road, as they tend to make more mistakes there.
Sabres hockey is an automated system, it doesn't dictate relying on one or two players, but consistently beating the opponent and wearing them down no matter which line is on ice.

Toronto, with their big, slow goon-like physique, will have a tough time adapting to such game, especially on the road, as seen last year a thousand times, as seen against Carolina (in Toronto).

Furthermore: something I don't like emphasizing (I don't like looking into the past but rather focusing on teams TODAY) but here it is, as a curiosity:
The Sabres went 5-3-0 against the Maple Leafs last season, splitting four home games. Buffalo is 10-4-0 in the past 14 meetings overall.

Last, but DEFINITELY not least. Buffalo were paying 2.30 against Capitals at home on the puckline, and now pay 2.72 against Toronto, who haven't had any tough tests of yet sans the opening game in Ottawa? THAT is the reason I am going big here. The odds discrepancy. One more thing: I don't care if this is a trap or something, I've seen the games I wrote about with my own pair of healthy eyes, and I made conclusions from that and from analyzing and knowing how EACH team of these two play.

If I lose I can handle it, I'm a man. And nothing out of the ordinary happens. But this is an investment I cannot pass on.

My call here is: Buffalo 6, Toronto 2.

10 units on the puckline (2.72 @ Pinnacle)

Good luck everyone. :cheers:

GL Satyr. Only one Im considering is the over in this game, but I don't think I will end up playing it.

Cant say I'll root for it in my heart of hearts though, lol.

Thanks T Dot, GL :shake:

Well Santa, I know this is your team here and you have to root for them, but I can't pass on this opportunity...as I stated above, I just don't understand these odds. Could turn out to be a loser but I'll still stand behind it judging from what I've seen and how I rate these teams. I just don't see these Leafs (the way they are playing now) coping with the Sabres away...

everything above 2.30 is huge value in my opinion.

GL. :shake:

I like your side but its very hard for me to play side and total in the same game and I have already hit the over, GP is listing Raycroft and the last 4 times they have played at Toronto Raycroft was in goal and Toronto scored 4 goals in each game. Now with Buffalo scoring 5 and 2/3rds goals a game at home they have a 6.5 total. How is it staying under? Actually though your point is that you can'tpass up the plus money and you may be right. I may actually have to play both. Will think more on it. GL

Good point Tuck. :shake: Even with the numbers you have provided I like my chances of hitting the puckline. Let's both hit this one. GL :shake: :cheers:

Great writeup.
Only thing that would worry me is that Toronto traditionally plays well in Buffalo. It's really their "home" away from home. There's ALWAYS a huge Toronto crowd attending the games there. But seeing how Toronto shot themselves in the foot again Saturday night, I can't see them winning this game. Good luck!

Thanks DX. GL tonight. :cheers:

Btw, just as a precaution and a partial cover (more as an additional bet really), I'm adding 5 units on over 6.5 at Pinnacle (1.86).

As all of a sudden there's a possibility that bum Thibault gets the nod (and I checked VARIOUS SITES FOR INFO)...fuck...

anyways, adding it. GL

there's a possibility that bum Thibault gets the nod

Thibault gets start in goal

<!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_byline_and_copyright_or_creditline.comp -->By John Vogl - News Sports Reporter <!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_copyright_with_dash.comp --><!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --><!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --><!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_copyright_with_dash.comp --><!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_byline_and_copyright_or_creditline.comp -->
Updated: 10/15/07 12:06 PM

<!--startclickprintexclude--><!-- Start /PubSys/Story/MediaBox/MediaBox.comp --><!-- Begin /PubSys/Story/MediaBox/ToolBox.comp -->
<!-- End /PubSys/Story/MediaBox/ToolBox.comp --><!--br clear="all" /-->

<!--br /--><DL id=story-pic></DL>
<!-- Removed on 8/9/2007<script type="text/javascript">adsonar_placementId=1306326;adsonar_pid=809767;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=280;adsonar_zh=200;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';</script><script language="JavaScript" src="http://js.adsonar.com/js/adsonar.js"></script>
-->
<!-- End /PubSys/Story/MediaBox/MediaBox.comp --><!--endclickprintexclude-->The season will finally start for Jocelyn Thibault.

Buffalo's backup goaltender will get his first real game as a Sabre tonight when the team hosts the Toronto Maple Leafs in HSBC Arena.
"Every season opener is very exciting," Thibault said. "Obviously, it's our fifth game, but my first one. I look forward to it."
Thibault, signed in the offseason, will fill in for Ryan Miller. The No. 1 goalie was not in the arena for the morning skate. He and his family had a memorial service Sunday in Michigan for his cousin Matt Schoals, who died last Monday. Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said Miller will be at the game.
Thibault doesn't get to ease into his role. The Leafs-Sabres rivalry is one of Buffalo's biggest, as thousands of Toronto fans invade the arena.
"I've watched some games over the last couple of years and in the past between Toronto and Buffalo," Thibault said. "I know that guys said it was going to be exciting. I look forward to it." Thibault has a career won-lost record of 6-6 against the Leafs.
In other Sabres news, the NHL has named Brian Campbell the Second Star of the Week. He had one goal and six assists in two games as the Sabres started their four-game homestand with two straight victories.
Read the game story and Bucky Gleason's column in Tuesday's Buffalo News.

Do you guys fold on the floor in fetal position when you hear you will be backing Thibault as well or is it only me? :D

maybe not fetal but maybe more like

deerpic1.jpg

:36_11_6:

scary thought I agree

Well I still think Sabres offense does the job here and they win by 2 or more...

Great write up. Only thing I might disagree with is I think you're overrating the capitals and the sabres a bit. Washington beat Atlanta: a team they always have success against, and Carolina who are notoriously slow starters. Carolina will handle the caps next game for sure. The game the caps won against the Islanders, they really didn't deserve the win; Kolzig did it all on his own, the caps were outclassed. Buffalo lost its top 2 centres, and thats going to weaken any team. But despite that, Toronto is irregular and since they're on the road; I do like the bets, especially the over. GL

The play is still solid. I'm guessing Raycroft will get the nod tonight for Toronto and if we are pinning our hopes on Raycroft you might as well believe in the Easter Bunny. Buffalo wins 6-3 tonight.

Catfood - thanks for the comments. I perhaps need to elaborate a bit what my take is: first of, I know the Sabres will be affected by the loss of their two centers, but what I'm saying is, I don't see them being affected right now. Let them have a few ups and downs and when they would usually count on their centers (especially Drury who is no ordinary player) to score and to bail them out, they could find themselves in trouble.

But for penetrating through a defense like the Leafs have, I think they can rely on their fast skating domination mode to do the job.
Carolina are slow starters but so are the Leafs. You're right about the Caps, but I never said I see them in the playoffs, I said they've improved compared to last year, and I don't see tham that low any more. And in some games so far they have shown quite solid play, of course they had some luck in other games, but hey, that's not that relevant for this play :D.
:cheers:

Cole GL tomorrow mate, have a good night sleep tonight :D :cheers:
Thanks, and GL tonight :shake: :cheers: always nice to hear your thoughts.

DX, I can't believe the guys at hockeyinformer wrote that "Raycroft is clearly the better goalie" (between the two Toronto have), as I would rate Toskala as better no doubts.
Let's hope the Sabres take full advantage here and impose their rhythm.

I thought Buffy would be -200 or so...but at bodoglife it is -165 so I will play it kinda strong...GL with yours tonight...great analysis.

yeah, unreal...Thibault...I knew it he won't make it to 10 saves without allowing a goal...can't blame him that much on this one though, but still...fucking Thibault :D.

Come on Sabres let's tie it up...

The shitty thing now is, the over doesn't look good either...so I need Buffalo to start scoring.

unreal...oh well, that's hockey with Thibault for you :D.

note to self: next time Thibault is in net and you find that out after you place the bet, you buy the bet out in whole and pay the juice.

but it's not only Thibault, Buffalo are struggling again offensively, missing 100% chances and shit...

waiting for last 4:45 in the 2nd perhaps? :D

I don't know much hockey, but if you were saying Buffalo would score 6, then I'd say there is still a lot of game left...lets go Sabes

:eek: WHAT A GAME this turned out to be!!

wow!! perhaps had Hecht not missed 2 100% chances and Thibault not allowed a couple of weird goals there would be a chance...but Thibault wasn't that bad tonight have to give him some credit...

I fucked up, should've taken the ML.

Back