NHL 2018 free agent moves and trade tracker

How exactly is Tampa finding the room for all these big contracts while still being in play for Karlsson.
Well, obviously they would need to move quite a bit of salary to get Karlsson on board, but it really could be doable for them. They have a number of assets they can move along with a nice salary (would almost assuredly be Callahan) to a team with cap room. Rangers have been mentioned, but please no. I love Cally, but see no reason to bring him back with that salary - the primary reason they moved him in the first place was they didn't want to pay him ffs!
Tampa though has a real nice situation. They don't have any real ugly contracts like most teams do. And they have key guys locked up for a good long time.
Hedman, McDonogh, Stamkos, Pallet, Miller, Johnson, Killorn and now Kucherov are all under contract till 2023 and ALL under 30. In fact in 2023, none of these guys will be over 32 which is crazy how young this team is. They have a number of young guys still that are on rookie contracts. They can fill in the rest of their roster as most teams do now, with 1 or 2 year contracts to "guys" If they get lucky on one or two, like say the Rangers got on Grabner, or Vegas got on everyone, they will be fine for the foreseable future. And if they get Karlsson, ugh.
Plus, they have Stralman, Girardi and Coburn ALL coming off contract after this year which is like 14M in cap space and these are 3 of the 4 guys on their roster over 30 (Callahan is the other). This was just a very good job of building a team in my eyes. Sure, you have to get lucky with a few draft picks but fuck this team should be good for awhile.

Ya stevie Y has done an amazing job

Moving guys may be tough cause of some nmc's they gave out

But palat, johnson, killorn, coburn could all be moved to open up space for EK

Rumor is they are trying to find a 3rd team to move some lf that salary too, since none of those guys would want to Go to ottawa

My guess is sergachev or point would have to be going back plus picks and other prospects

But because hes drafted so well, even if they go cheap to fit in the big stars they have the guys who can step in

None of them are top level guys but could be middle six forwards and and 2nd or 3rd pair d men

Howden and raddysh up front, foote on the backend

If someone said pick the teams most likely to win over the next 5 years

Its tampa, winnipeg, and Toronto way at the top ahead of the next group

Yeah, I was looking over cap stuff and Winnipeg has the most cap room of any team available right now. Granted they only have 16 on the roster, but they have quite a number of players over very reasonable contracts for the next 4-5 years. Laine will obviously get a big bump next year and Trouba probably get something decent, but still, all the guys nearing or at their prime they can fill out a very good roster.
Of course, they still need a goalie.........

Winnipeg?

Hellebyuck had a great year, got a vezina nom

Trouba wanted out last year, wants to play in the states, wonder if that trade request is still active

They have a move to make this year, either offseason or deadline, they had that trade with montreal to open up room for stastny and he went to vegas

They have the guys in the system to make a big trade

Well, obviously they would need to move quite a bit of salary to get Karlsson on board, but it really could be doable for them. They have a number of assets they can move along with a nice salary (would almost assuredly be Callahan) to a team with cap room. Rangers have been mentioned, but please no. I love Cally, but see no reason to bring him back with that salary - the primary reason they moved him in the first place was they didn't want to pay him ffs!
Tampa though has a real nice situation. They don't have any real ugly contracts like most teams do. And they have key guys locked up for a good long time.
Hedman, McDonogh, Stamkos, Pallet, Miller, Johnson, Killorn and now Kucherov are all under contract till 2023 and ALL under 30. In fact in 2023, none of these guys will be over 32 which is crazy how young this team is. They have a number of young guys still that are on rookie contracts. They can fill in the rest of their roster as most teams do now, with 1 or 2 year contracts to "guys" If they get lucky on one or two, like say the Rangers got on Grabner, or Vegas got on everyone, they will be fine for the foreseable future. And if they get Karlsson, ugh.
Plus, they have Stralman, Girardi and Coburn ALL coming off contract after this year which is like 14M in cap space and these are 3 of the 4 guys on their roster over 30 (Callahan is the other). This was just a very good job of building a team in my eyes. Sure, you have to get lucky with a few draft picks but fuck this team should be good for awhile.

The Rangers better stay away from Callahan. All I want for the Rangers is for them to tank and win the lottery so they can draft Jack Hughes. The last elite non goalie that the Rangers drafted was Brian Leetch and that needs to end.

Ya stevie Y has done an amazing job

Moving guys may be tough cause of some nmc's they gave out

But palat, johnson, killorn, coburn could all be moved to open up space for EK

Rumor is they are trying to find a 3rd team to move some lf that salary too, since none of those guys would want to Go to ottawa

My guess is sergachev or point would have to be going back plus picks and other prospects

But because hes drafted so well, even if they go cheap to fit in the big stars they have the guys who can step in

None of them are top level guys but could be middle six forwards and and 2nd or 3rd pair d men

Howden and raddysh up front, foote on the backend

Howden was traded to the Rangers in the McDonagh/Miller deal.

Yeah, I was looking over cap stuff and Winnipeg has the most cap room of any team available right now. Granted they only have 16 on the roster, but they have quite a number of players over very reasonable contracts for the next 4-5 years. Laine will obviously get a big bump next year and Trouba probably get something decent, but still, all the guys nearing or at their prime they can fill out a very good roster.
Of course, they still need a goalie.........

maybe as a backup to "Conner Kayopectate" (stops most everything) Hellibuyck BUT HE was a Vezina nominee last season and is a "must sign" RFA. BOTH Mike Hutchinson (UFA to Panthers) and Steve Mason (trade to Habs) are GONE so need a competent backup. right now would be Eric Comrie

Howden was traded to the Rangers in the McDonagh/Miller deal.

Right, forgot that

He should be good for the rags, i like lias too, but jack hughes wants to join his brother in Vancouver... plus the draft is here, the nhl owes us for our shit lottery lucky

Rangers can wait a year for lafreniere

Last edited:
Thursday July 12th: Connor Hellebuyck agreed to terms on a six-year, $37 million contract with the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday

It has an average annual value of $6.167 million and allows the 25-year-old goalie, who was a restricted free agent, and the Jets to avoid a salary arbitration hearing

Jets STILL have D-men Tyler Myers and Jacob Trouba along with forwards Blake Wheeler and Patrik Laine to sign to extensions. each is entering the final season of their RFA contracts

Friday July 13th: Marc-Andre Fleury agreed to terms on a three-year, $21 million contract extension with the Vegas Golden Knights on Friday. (pretty much assures that "The Flower" will retire as a Vegas Golden Knight) :)

The contract, which starts with the 2019-20 season, has an average annual value of $7 million. Fleury, 33, could have become an unrestricted free agent after this season, and became eligible to sign an extension July 1. He signed a four-year, $23 million contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Nov. 5, 2014

Thursday July12th: Jamie Oleksiak signed a three-year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday.

It has an average annual value of $2.137 million and allows the 25-year-old defenseman, who was a restricted free agent, and the Penguins to avoid a salary arbitration hearing (GOOD signing Penguins. Oleksiak is a "banger with skills" that is also the "bodyguard" for their smaller players) :shake:

I hope your having a great summer my friend.:cheers6:

pretty good so far, fab14, although it is kind of "WTF ???" with George McPhee and the VGK so far. everyone in Las Vegas excited to have "Flower" locked up and in his interview on local sports today HE is HAPPY. his family LOVES Las Vegas and the fans are all excited. question IS WHO backs up next season I guess they are counting on Malcolm Subban although I doubt he would be the "hair apparent" down the road. STILL have a number of RFA players to extend esp William Karlsson. know YOU have to be excited about your Flames prospects this season :shake:

yes we are looking real good on paper but we all know the game is played on the ice.:hockeyref:

GOOD news VGK. July 17th: re-sign forward Tomas Nosek to new 1-year deal worth $962,500. was excellent on the PK and "shut down" 4th line with Pierre-Edouard Bellemare first season. STILL have Wiliam-Karlsson and Shea Theodore to get done :)

Last edited:
do NOT know IF GOOD or BAD news for VGK Monday July 23rd: Vegas Golden Knights General Manager George McPhee announced that the team has signed forward William Carrier to a two-year contract through the 2019-20 season worth an average annual value of $725,000. the guy is a BAD "penalty magnet" and was injured a BUNCH last season. did play decent on the 4th line :confused:

Tuesday July 24: Capitals signed Brooks Orpik to a 1-year contract worth $1 million, allowing him to return to the the team he had just won the Stanley Cup with after being released by the Avalanche who he had been traded to along with goalie Philip Grubauer. GREAT re-sign Capitals :shake:

Wednesday July 25th: Jason Zucker agreed to terms on a five-year, $27.5 million contract with the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday. It has an average annual value of $5.5 million. Zucker, a restricted free agent, avoided an arbitration hearing scheduled for July 28.

The 26-year-old forward had NHL career highs in goals (33), assists (31) and points (64) in 82 games with the Minnesota Wild last season

GOOD, BAD or UGLY, fab14 ???

Wednesday July 25th: Mark Jankowski signed a two-year contract with the Calgary Flames on Wednesday. It has an average annual value of $1.675 million.

The 23-year-old center was a restricted free agent who had an arbitration hearing scheduled for Friday. He had 25 points (17 goals, eight assists) in 72 games with the Flames last season.

Wednesday July 25th: Dan Hamhuis signed a two-year, $2.5 million contract with the Nashville Predators on Wednesday. It has an average annual value of $1.25 million.

The 35-year-old defenseman, who spent his first six NHL seasons with the Predators, had 24 points (three goals, 21 assists) in 80 games with the Dallas Stars last season

I really like janks & i thinks he going be a good player for the flames...:shake7: This is the best group of forwards we hade in 10 years. me thinks i need get some futures real soon.:roadrage:

me thinks i need get some futures real soon

Las Vegas futures pretty "cheesy" this pre-season. BEST Flames to win the Western Conference only 25-1 and Cup 50-1 @ William-Hill

btw WAY over-reaction to last years VGK season, BEST odds 5-1 to win the Western Conference and 10-1 for Cup @ Westgate. they SHOULD make the playoffs BUT I do NOT see them going as far as last season :nonofinger:

Last edited:
Friday July 27th: RFA forward Tom Wilson signed a six-year, $31 million contract with the Washington Capitals. It has an average annual value of $5.17 million. that means the Capitals Stanley Cup team pretty much intact going into the 2018-19 season. ONLY losses I see is Jay Beagle to the Canucks and backup goalie Philip Grubauer to the Avalanche :shake:

July 16, 2018: the Nashville Predators announced that the team has signed restricted free-agent goaltender Juuse Saros to a three-year, $4.5 million contract. Saros will make $1.5 million in each of the three seasons. The 5-foot-11 goaltender closed out the regular season with the third-best save percentage in franchise history, trailing only Pekka Rinne's .927 in 2017-18 and .930 in 2010-11. From Nov. 4 to the end of the regular season, Saros led all NHL goaltenders in save percentage (.935) and was fourth in goals-against average (2.19). He appeared in four playoff games for the Predators last season, allowing only two goals on 42 shots faced for a 1.05 goals-against average and .952 save percentage.

this is an absolute STEAL by the Predators GM David Poile!!! at only 23 years old, he is definitely THE BEST young goalie in the league!!! VERY disappointed the VGK did NOT make a play for him. would have been the perfect backup and "under study" to Marc-Andre Fleury who is now 33 years old. Saros would be the #1 goalie on just about ANY other team in the league ex for maybe the VGK or LA Kings. once again VGK GM George McPhee ASLEEP at the WHEEL!!! :mad:

August 4th: William Karlsson signed a one-year, $5.25 million contract with the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday, avoiding an arbitration hearing. The 25-year-old center scored an NHL career-high 43 goals (third in the NHL) last season and finished with 78 points in 82 regular-season games. he will become a restricted free agent July 1, 2019

August 4th: goalie John Gibson signed an eight-year contract extension with the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday. Financial terms were not disclosed. The 25-year-old goaltender has one season remaining on a three-year contract extension he signed Sept. 21, 2015, and could have become a restricted free agent after this season. His new extension will take effect next season and go through 2026-27

Thank You for the info, fab14 :shake:

Tuesday August 14th: D-man Ryan Ellis signed an eight-year, $50 million contract extension with the Nashville Predators. would have been a UFA next year. was out half of last season with a knee injury. The 27-year-old D-man has 5 goals and 22 assist for 27 points in 58 Stanley Cup Playoff games with Nashville

looking like "Patch" staying in Montreal per https://www.nhl.com/news/max-pacioretty-ready-for-clean-slate-with-montreal-canadiens/c-299758750.

Max Pacioretty is eager to move forward as Montreal Canadiens captain and put a season that was sidetracked by a knee injury and trade rumors behind him.

The 29-year-old forward had 37 points (17 goals, 20 assists) in 64 games last season and missed the final 18 games because of the injury. It was his fewest goals and points since 2010-11

Pacioretty, who has been Canadiens captain since Sept. 18, 2015, has one season remaining on a six-year contract. He can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, and has been the subject of trade rumors ("Patch" sounds like "damaged goods" on any trade to me) :nonofinger:

Hes not gonna resign, they have to move him, maybe its not until the deadline, less money means more teams can afford the cap hit

They cant lose him for nothing next summer

Eastern canada gonna be open for business this season

Habs have to move him

Sens have 3 ufas in EK, stone, and duschene they have to move since they wont be resigning, yet ottawa cant even tank cause the avs have their pick. That duschene trade is going to go down as one of the worst of all time for ottawa

some "catching up" of missed earlier >>>

Dylan Larkin signed a five-year, $30.5 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings. It has an average annual value of $6.1 million. The 22-year-old, who was an RFA, had an NHL career-high 63 points (16 goals, 47 assists) in 82 games with the Red Wings last season, leading them in points and assists (important for Detroit to keep their one young "star")

Patrick Maroon signed a one-year, $1.75 million contract with the St. Louis Blues. The 30-year-old forward had an NHL career-high 43 points (17 goals, 26 assists) in 74 games with the New Jersey Devils and Edmonton Oilers last season (he is a St Louis native and family still live there)

Rink i like to thank you for bring me over here onto capping the game. :shake: I find the ppl over here alot nicer then covers. Hockey season is just around the corner my friend.:injuredhockeyplayer:

Rink i like to thank you for bring me over here onto capping the game. I find the ppl over here alot nicer then covers. Hockey season is just around the corner my friend.

ain't THAT the TRUTH, fab14. GLAD you joined :shake:

"Uh Oh. We're In Trouble" for the Red Wings >>> https://www.nhl.com/news/henrik-zet...for-detroit-red-wings-this-season/c-299860192 Sunday August 26th: Henrik Zetterberg could miss season for Red Wings. Coach says Detroit prepared to move on without center, 37, who has back injury. Henrik Zetterberg seems increasingly unlikely to play for the Detroit Red Wings this season because of back problems :(

well the shoe finally dropped in Montreal >>> https://www.nhl.com/news/canadiens-trade-max-pacioretty-to-vegas-golden-knights/c-300023512

Pacioretty traded to Golden Knights by Canadiens. Montreal acquires Tatar, Suzuki, second-round pick in 2019 from Vegas for their captain

I do NOT know IF this is a GOOD or BAD thing for the Vegas Golden Knights. "Patch" seems to me like a player that has to be the "star" and that is NOT the VGK "Knight's of the Round Circle" culture. HATE losing young Nick Suzuki who is probably a couple years from the NHL but his upside as a "speed/sniper" is excellent. also I am sure VGK GM George McPhee was eager to move Thomas Tatar. the trade with the Red Wings to bring "sauce" to Vegas just did NOT work out and was an embarrassment to McPhee for the draft choices he gave up.
I guess we will find out in the upcoming season :confused3:

well it FINALLY happened in Ottawa >>> https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-19-nhl-trades/c-289968698

September 13th: Erik Karlsson was traded to the San Jose Sharks by the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, ending months of speculation about the future of the two-time Norris Trophy winner. Ottawa receives forwards Chris Tierney and Rudolfs Balcers, defenseman Dylan DeMelo, the rights to unsigned forward Joshua Norris, a first-round pick in the 2019 or 2020 NHL Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 draft and two conditional draft picks.

Boy OH!!! the Senators had to settle for a box of donuts for Karlsson ??? there were probaly better offers on the table from the Lightning and Stars back in July :confused:

also September 11th: D-man Adam McQuaid was traded to the New York Rangers by the Boston Bruins on Tuesday for defenseman Steven Kampfer, a fourth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft and a conditional seventh-round pick in 2019. the Rangers also had picked up goalie Dustin Tokarski on a one-year contract. he played in the AHL last season

Monday September 24th: VGK FINALLY get top D-man Shea Theodore signed to a seven-year contract through the 2024-25 season worth an average annual value of $5.2 million. I guess IF you have the cap space and your owner is NOT a "squeezer", you spend the money BUT with the emergence of rookie D-men Erik Brannstrom and Jake Bischoff I gotta wonder :confused:

btw, top VGK draft choice Cody Glass shipped back to the Portland Winterhawks for another season of major juniors AND goalies Oscar Dansk and Zach Fucale (BOTH in my opinion have more potential than Malcolm Subban) along with skaters Dylan Coghlan, Reid Duke, Tomas Hyka , Kevin Lough, Brooks Macek, Jimmy Oligny, Gage Quinney, Zach Whitecloud, Tyler Wong, Alex Gallant, Zachary Leslie, Nicolas Hague and Keegan Kolesar sent down the the AHL Chicago Wolves

Last edited:
Back