NFL Week 1: What Have We Learned

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Still got Monday night. But we have Sunday fresh in our minds...

I know I should have some thoughts about Jacksonville. I'm still quite surprised by this result...

Other than an ill advised pitch with 6 minutes left, Joe Burrow looked like he'll be the real deal once the Bengals get that horrid OL taken care of. Cam Newton looked pretty good, but he has absolutely no help on that offense & the Lions are going nowhere with Matt Patricia as their head coach.

Redskins have some young corners, but Moreland really played well today very impressive. Del Rio is a fine coord and he has nice pass rushing complements on this team and DL in particular is very solid. Definitely rebuilding but I liked what I saw from them after down 17-0.

I'm a Packer homer but they just keep on winning. Winning 15 out of the last 19. Rodgers looked great. Could have had better stats but there were a lot of drops.

Cowboys lost a winnable game with a bad coaching decision, more sloppy presnap play and an unfortunate call on a deep shot late that would've set them up a chance to win. Lost a great opportunity with a +1 turnover number. Part of what sent Garrett packing was going 1-6 in one score games last year. Well, they're 0-1 this year.

The three old timer QBs, Rivers, Brady and Brees, all looked OLD today. Brees YPA was under 6! Rivers picked twice, Brady picked twice.

Will be interesting to see how Big Ben looks tomorrow.

Rams had a different look on D. They looked decent. Their identity is still to be determined. Goff got rid of the ball quickly. If he was put in the pocket he was inept. He's really a dumbass in the pocket. He has ZERO clock in his head. He can't process what's transpiring around him. He's better than Sum BadFraud because he's tougher. Rams D like I said is a mystery. Sure makes a difference having Ramsey.

Anyone have numbers on flags?

My theory for awhile is no fans will mean less flags in some instances (false start, defensive pass int). .

Thoughts?

Lions gave up 21 in the 4Q? That franchise is seriously the worst. I’d hate to love the Lions. I’m not even trying to troll but that franchise will let their fans down each and every time. Is Fontes their best coach ever?

Buffalo looked like they will be able to move the ball offensively this season. Still remains to be seen how run blocking/run game will go as the game plan was to pass a ton, but Diggs in this offense opens everything up. Brown will have nice matchups all season long, Allen just needs to protect the ball.

The Bills have some injuries to watch going into the Fins game. Both lbs Milano and Edmunds went down,not sure how serious. The second corner isthe Bill's defensive weakness, though I don't think Miami will be able to exploit it. Woods and the Rams week 3 will

Since there was no preseason games, the players looked fast, explosive and hungry to make plays. Granted some mishaps, timing ,etc. are ironed out in the preseason games, but health wise...they look good!

On 4th and 3, down 3, with Cooper and Zeke healthy, you call a play to showcase your new toy.

You ask a rookie to run a crossing route and he cuts short of the sticks. The Rams could only make a play because either the coaches didn't teach him to run it to the sticks, or CeeDee is a dumbass rookie with a two letter first name. And Schultz does deserves some blame too for not understanding he was doubled and not plowing forward to get deep enough to pick the safety.

And on the formation, put CeeDee outside of the other WR so the other WR can influence both CBs and the safety and then CeeDee crosses behind him, i.e. the classic pick play that the Pats have run for years.

The Cowboys philosophy is still the same as ever. They need players to win matchups because they don't scheme for shit.

Last edited:
Divisonal games.

Faves 4
Pups 5 all SU

for as much we worry bout key numbers and such the nfl continually proves the points don’t mean all that much!! Lol. Sure the spread comes into play some (around 15-20% i believe), but far more often than not just pick the winner and if you like the dog play the money line!

On 4th and 3, down 3, with Cooper and Zeke healthy, you call a play to showcase your new toy.

You ask a rookie to run a crossing route and he cuts short of the sticks. The Rams could only make a play because either the coaches didn't teach him to run it to the sticks, or CeeDee is a dumbass rookie with a two letter first name. And Schultz does deserves some blame too for not understanding he was doubled and not plowing forward to get deep enough to pick the safety.

And on the formation, put CeeDee outside of the other WR so the other WR can influence both CBs and the safety and then CeeDee crosses behind him, i.e. the classic pick play that the Pats have run for years.

The Cowboys philosophy is still the same as ever. They need players to win matchups because they don't scheme for shit.

In principle/ in general I don’t hate the decision to go for it but the fact they were so awful on 3rd Downs makes me question doing so there. That the problem with analytics, I think it insane not to factor in things like game flow, situation, etc etc when making these decisions. When my team can’t pick up a 3rd down to save their lives I think I gotta take the 3 and tie it up. Especially if my team the favorite, maybe if I’m a touchdown dog and clearly not as talented of a team I roll the dice but not in this situation.

more glaring to me is the fact they scored 3 freaking points in the second half! Against a defense I don’t think any of us expect to be really good. Doesn’t appear Garrett was the problem as looked like the same old cowboys to me.

I already thought this but yesterday kinda confirmed it, the cardinals are gonna be pushing for a playoff spot this year!! Murray is a star in the making, his wheels are elite! Just think about what this Niners defense did to guys like Rodgers twice last year and mahomes for 3 qrtrs! Yet Murray has given them all they want several times and now with a elite wr he was able to beat them. Hopkins was fantastic and they lost nothing at rb with drake and Edmonds being perfect for this offense. I thought the defense was improved as well. They didn’t let niners run all over them and outside the big play to Mostert they gave up very little.

Oh, and Sam Darnold...you aren't unaccountable either. You suck and so does your coach. If Minshew with NO weapons whatsoever can go 19/20 in a game...I don't want to hear anyone defending this guy anymore. Clean house AGAIN...such a garbage franchise.

Agreed with everything else you said but I am not blaming Darnold for the mess that is this franchise. Between Gase being completely incompetent and practically no NFL talent around him I just cannot put this on Darnold. This franchise is on the verge of ruining another young QB and its infuriating.

I already thought this but yesterday kinda confirmed it, the cardinals are gonna be pushing for a playoff spot this year!! Murray is a star in the making, his wheels are elite! Just think about what this Niners defense did to guys like Rodgers twice last year and mahomes for 3 qrtrs! Yet Murray has given them all they want several times and now with a elite wr he was able to beat them. Hopkins was fantastic and they lost nothing at rb with drake and Edmonds being perfect for this offense. I thought the defense was improved as well. They didn’t let niners run all over them and outside the big play to Mostert they gave up very little.

NFC West plays the NFC East and the AFC East this year. Very good chance we see two wildcards out of the West and its not impossible that the entire division could make the playoffs.

Misleading box scores vs results in Atlanta, Jax and New Orleans. Turnovers killed the losing teams but they played better than the box score.

I feel robbed that I lost Detroit and pushed Cincy. But these even themselves out over the year.

cincy deserved to win.

Chiefs at the current number concern me against LAC. With Balt ahead in week 3, I think Kc takes the foot off the gas in the second half. 23-1 last 24 division games for Kc

NFC West plays the NFC East and the AFC East this year. Very good chance we see two wildcards out of the West and its not impossible that the entire division could make the playoffs.

didn’t realize that, you right they all could make it with a 7th spot, that be crazy!

not sure what to make of rams? I expected them to win last night, I thought they looked good until they got a lead then the offense was kinda blah against what I think a not very good d. Dunno how much credit d deserves for holding Dallas to 3 in 2nd or how much of that just on boys incompetence?

Other than an ill advised pitch with 6 minutes left, Joe Burrow looked like he'll be the real deal once the Bengals get that horrid OL taken care of. Cam Newton looked pretty good, but he has absolutely no help on that offense & the Lions are going nowhere with Matt Patricia as their head coach.

I still disagree big time on burrow. Not blaming yesterday on him cause as you said line a problem And don’t think I like that coach either. If you put burrow on a good team I’m sure he be fine but I don’t think he anywhere close to the superstar many seem to. I’d have taken Tua without question.

Pats gonna be a headache to prepare for. I thought McDaniel did a great job mixing up the looks and being creative with the run game and I think there a whole bunch more to come, then there be wrinkles off the stuff they having success with. The demise of this team may have been greatly exaggerated, Cam gonna turn out being a steal as he looks healthier than he had in years and obviously motivated. Thought he came off really well in the presser after the game, liked the way he had a lineman spike the ball on one his tds. Think he comeback player of the year although Alden smith may have something to say bout that, he often looked like a man among boys last night!!

I do think burrow much better prospect than I ever thought of mayfield (not sure that saying a lot since I thought Baker was a terrible pick). I just like Tua more so when I say bad things about burrow it is some just cause where he got picked and some just cause there something I don’t like about him!! Lol

What did ya’ll think bout Haskins And Washington offense overall? I didn’t watch much of that game, from a distance it kinda appeared to me without the Philly turnovers im not sure Washington scores but again all I really saw was highlights as I was locked in to other games. Washington’s dline was a nightmare for philly as I expected. They look similar to what niners did on their dline with all those 1st rounders!!

I thought the score of the packers/Viking game was way way closer than the ass whipping Packers put on them!! Most impressive thing from Green Bay’s perspective was the way they continued scoring in second half, I bet them 1st half cause last year their MO was jump out on teams and hang on for dear life after halftime. Dunno how much of that yesterday was lafluer improving with halftime adjustments or how much was Vikings defense being way worse than previous years? Lot of it was Rodgers was lethal and Vikings had no answer for Adams.

Oh, and Sam Darnold...you aren't unaccountable either. You suck and so does your coach. If Minshew with NO weapons whatsoever can go 19/20 in a game...I don't want to hear anyone defending this guy anymore. Clean house AGAIN...such a garbage franchise.

Draft Jesus, fire the coach send Darnold packing

Misleading box scores vs results in Atlanta, Jax and New Orleans. Turnovers killed the losing teams but they played better than the box score.

I feel robbed that I lost Detroit and pushed Cincy. But these even themselves out over the year.

cincy deserved to win.

Chiefs at the current number concern me against LAC. With Balt ahead in week 3, I think Kc takes the foot off the gas in the second half. 23-1 last 24 division games for Kc

guess I balanced out after losing lions which was horrible, then still shoulda pushed if the damn rookie rb could catch!! But then I did cash on Chargers, only reason I decided to play them was cause line went down to -2.5. I was locked into the cardinals game so I can’t say who deserved to win the charger/bungal game? Box score looks pretty ugly for both teams.

Looks like chargers had more success running the ball and Taylor didn’t turn it over so not sure bungals were the better team? I know they had a chance at end and still don’t know how they didn’t at least get a fg to send it to ot?

Rivers is done , I have no idea why I got sucked into just because he got moved to the Colts thing would change

you not the only one. I loved colts coming into year, I thought they were gonna win this division rather easily. Lol. Now with Mack done for year they probably 8-8 at best. Wtf was that red zone play where they brought Brissett in? Imo that screams a lot of bad things!

I figured with that oline colts would been good in red zone just pounding it in yet they were terrible inside the 10.

I still disagree big time on burrow. Not blaming yesterday on him cause as you said line a problem And don’t think I like that coach either. If you put burrow on a good team I’m sure he be fine but I don’t think he anywhere close to the superstar many seem to. I’d have taken Tua without question.

Give me Burrow 100 times out of 100 over Tua Leinart.

Pats gonna be a headache to prepare for. I thought McDaniel did a great job mixing up the looks and being creative with the run game and I think there a whole bunch more to come, then there be wrinkles off the stuff they having success with. The demise of this team may have been greatly exaggerated, Cam gonna turn out being a steal as he looks healthier than he had in years and obviously motivated. Thought he came off really well in the presser after the game, liked the way he had a lineman spike the ball on one his tds. Think he comeback player of the year although Alden smith may have something to say bout that, he often looked like a man among boys last night!!
It was the Dolphins. Let’s relax

It was the Dolphins. Let’s relax

The things I’m talking about have nothing to do with the opponent. Let’s not forget fish have been a thorn in their side plenty and pats do see them again, jets twice, and bills who I think they will play incredibly tight games with.

The things I’m talking about have nothing to do with the opponent. Let’s not forget fish have been a thorn in their side plenty and pats do see them again, jets twice, and bills who I think they will play incredibly tight games with.
I’ve seen the Saints chase Cam down forever. I’m not saying he isn’t a decent “fit” and the division ain’t much......but I didn’t see anything other than ball control. Am I missing something?

I was just a tad wrong on Mahomes lol

Kyler Murray I just don’t know. I’m pulling for the kid, but

Back