NFC Championship: 49ers vs. Eagles Discussion Thread

Is that official? Report I saw was they may try to do a repair of existing ligament instead of a full blown Tommy John reconstruction. Difference between back in six months and a lost season.
I saw UCL... 6 months with surgery....

Getting 2nd opinion .

I guess the resulting decision could make things interesting re: Tom Brady.

My second opinion would be to take that communications degree and get into broadcasting while people still think you can play QB.

Skylar Thompson is playing, and starting, in the NFL. Skylar Thompson.

I'm thinking that Purdy will continue to find employment in the NFL, whether that be as a starter or otherwise.

Purdy will of course get another opportunity or two (or six like some of the names below), he's got some name recognition now.....but I don't think he'll ever come close to this year again. For one thing he has a long hard road just to be able to throw a ball at a pro level. For another he really wasn't that good to begin with. I'd say the same thing about Skylar Thompson, although he's already at a lower level at this point. Purdy has the name recognition that would get him in the door of the broadcasting industry, which frankly is as starving for talent as the NFL.

The recent history of 7th round QBs is not pretty, although it is interesting. Most are still trying to stick somewhere, some have even done big things in other leagues. Just going back to the Mahomes draft, you might recognize a few names:

7th round QBs
2022 (1 1st round QB, 9 taken overall)
Chris Oladakun - Cut by Pitt, on KC practice squad
Skylar Thompson - Miami, 3rd string, elevated to starter thru injuries, won week 18 to get into playoffs, lost playoff game but was competitive
Brock Purdy - SF, 3rd string, elevated to starter thru injuries, won division and 2 playoff games

2021 (5 1st round, 10 overall)
none taken in 7th round

2020 (4 1st round, 13 overall)
Cole McDonald - cut by Tenn, Ariz, TORONTO, now assigned to XFL
Ben DiNucci - Cowboys tried him 1 time, disaster, assigned to XFL
Tommy Stevens - Saints tried him at TE, cut him, Car and Giants also cut him. Played in CFL as 3rd string QB last year.
Nate Stanley - Went from Minnesota's practice squad, to IR, to cut

2019 (3 1st round, 11 overall)
none taken in 7th round

2018 (5 in 1st round, 13 overall)
Danny Etling - Patriots practice squad (but got a ring!), then they tried him at WR and cut him, Back to QB, cut by Atlanta, Seattle, Minnesota, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Seattle again, Denver, Green Bay, Jax, then Green Bay put him on practice squad.
Alex McGough - Practice squad for Seattle, then cut by them and Jax, Houston, Seattle again, then played in USFL championship game, winning as an in-game substitute. Look for him in April.
Logan Woodside - Drafted then cut by Bengals, cut by Tenn, played in the AAF and won offensive player of the week, then back on Tenn practice squad, picked up by Atlanta late last year.

2017 (3 in 1st round, 10 overall)
Chad Kelly (another Mr. Irrelevant) - Denver drafted, went on IR, was backup in 2018 until an arrest got him cut. Indy then cut him following a 2 game suspension for violating NFL personal conduct policy. Indy signed him again the following year and cut him. Two years later he was a backup in TORONTO and entered the GREY CUP in the 4th quarter with the Argo down 23-17 and led them on a Cup winning TD drive.

Purdy will of course get another opportunity or two (or six like some of the names below), he's got some name recognition now.....but I don't think he'll ever come close to this year again. For one thing he has a long hard road just to be able to throw a ball at a pro level. For another he really wasn't that good to begin with. I'd say the same thing about Skylar Thompson, although he's already at a lower level at this point. Purdy has the name recognition that would get him in the door of the broadcasting industry, which frankly is as starving for talent as the NFL.

The recent history of 7th round QBs is not pretty, although it is interesting. Most are still trying to stick somewhere, some have even done big things in other leagues. Just going back to the Mahomes draft, you might recognize a few names:

7th round QBs
2022 (1 1st round QB, 9 taken overall)
Chris Oladakun - Cut by Pitt, on KC practice squad
Skylar Thompson - Miami, 3rd string, elevated to starter thru injuries, won week 18 to get into playoffs, lost playoff game but was competitive
Brock Purdy - SF, 3rd string, elevated to starter thru injuries, won division and 2 playoff games

2021 (5 1st round, 10 overall)
none taken in 7th round

2020 (4 1st round, 13 overall)
Cole McDonald - cut by Tenn, Ariz, TORONTO, now assigned to XFL
Ben DiNucci - Cowboys tried him 1 time, disaster, assigned to XFL
Tommy Stevens - Saints tried him at TE, cut him, Car and Giants also cut him. Played in CFL as 3rd string QB last year.
Nate Stanley - Went from Minnesota's practice squad, to IR, to cut

2019 (3 1st round, 11 overall)
none taken in 7th round

2018 (5 in 1st round, 13 overall)
Danny Etling - Patriots practice squad (but got a ring!), then they tried him at WR and cut him, Back to QB, cut by Atlanta, Seattle, Minnesota, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Seattle again, Denver, Green Bay, Jax, then Green Bay put him on practice squad.
Alex McGough - Practice squad for Seattle, then cut by them and Jax, Houston, Seattle again, then played in USFL championship game, winning as an in-game substitute. Look for him in April.
Logan Woodside - Drafted then cut by Bengals, cut by Tenn, played in the AAF and won offensive player of the week, then back on Tenn practice squad, picked up by Atlanta late last year.

2017 (3 in 1st round, 10 overall)
Chad Kelly (another Mr. Irrelevant) - Denver drafted, went on IR, was backup in 2018 until an arrest got him cut. Indy then cut him following a 2 game suspension for violating NFL personal conduct policy. Indy signed him again the following year and cut him. Two years later he was a backup in TORONTO and entered the GREY CUP in the 4th quarter with the Argo down 23-17 and led them on a Cup winning TD drive.

I just skimmed thru your other examples but I think purdy’s shot at sticking went out the window when his elbow snapped. Hopefully for his sake he did enough to carve himself out a solid backup career, unfortunately for him he still has several more years he has to show that before getting even solid backup money I’d assume. Long as he gets back to where he was he prob will be able to have one those nice long cushy clipboard holding chase Daniel, teddy b type of careers. He certainly proved he can come in and still give your team a chance to win a few games while starter out. Maybe he gets a chance to compete for a starting job down the road but don’t think he be ready to do that this coming year and I’m guessing niners are super desperate to have a qb they trust next year, Brady maybe? Their window is getting smaller fast as lot their roster aging and some key pieces injury prone, no way they trusting that to a guy with a blown out elbow who might not be ready till sometime after beginning season, I doubt they trust it to Trey Lance, super curious what they gonna do but it not gonna be Purdy.

Back