New Mexico proves that Hawaii is #1

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
I bet nevada moneyline +120 today.

I have never been more wrong about a game in my life , that I can remember.

UNM won 23-0 and should have won by 50 in my opinion.

It was total domination.

New Mexico proved that Hawaii should be number 1.

What I mean by that is this .........

I have spent an entire season studying , living , eating , reading , breathing , watching cfb. I think it is safe to say that i know considerably more about each team in the country than your average sports writer who votes in polls. And I was DEAD WRONG about the nevada vs new mexico game.

This is why they play the game folks. Just about everything you could want pointed to a nevada victory today (((( when i got home from the book tonight , i sat my bleeding ass down and went over every single play by play from nevadas and new mexicos respective seasons. There is no indication in either that this game could have happened ..... i mean NONE.). BUT .... my opinion didnt matter ,,,,,,,,, the stats didnt matter .......... my perception of conference strength didnt matter. .......because they actually played the damn game .... and new mexico bitch slapped nevada back into the stone age.

WHO THE HELL ARE WE TO SAY HAWAII ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH ????

lsu lost twice ...... guess what .... if they go undefeated ... they play for a title .... they have a chance to win the national title. It was preordained that hawaii could not win a title ........ they went undefeated but since "we the public" think their schedule is weak or that they just arent as good as a big school or just havent seen them play enough .... well .... "we the public" choose a champion. Think about this concept in terms or the nfl...... imagine if in the preseason we decided that green bay was a bad team and the bears are a good team. Say they each go on to have the seasons that they did this year .......... if you were to use the logic that people use in cfb ..... green bay shouldnt make the playoffs ... chicago is better ......... what happens on the field of play be damned. It must really suck for teams in the wac , mwc, sun belt , cusa , and mac to know that BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN STARTS IT HAS BEEN PREORDAINED THAT THEY CANNOT WIN THE TITLE.

Every bcs conference school has the opportunity to win all of their games and play for the title. And why ??? because people have decided they are better ...... what if we are wrong ??????

I was basically as confident that nevada would beat new mexico today as i am that georgia will beat hawaii. I also think georgia is a better football team right now than lsu. So who the hell am i to say that hawaii isn't good enough to get a chance to win the title .... who the hell am i to say that boise st wasnt the best team in the country last year ??? who the hell am i to say that utah was not the best team in the country the year they went undefeated ???? Hell, if hawaii loses to georgia and ohio state beats lsu ... who the hell am i to say that ohio state is a better 1 loss team than hawaii ??? i mean ...... i had a strong opinion today on nevada and in my mind , i was over 50 points off !!!!!!!!!! new mexico was 50 points better than nevada today but only managed the 23 point win.

The bcs system is the antithesis of sports. basketball has its villanova ... has its ncstate ........... pro football has its new york jets , has its new england patriots ... hockey has the 1980 usa team ...... baseball has many ... the cardinals from 2 years ago to name one ......... but ncaa football will never have the champion be decided on the field ... it gets decided at water coolers. what a joke.

And remember , the people who decide that lsu is better than hawaii , or that ohio state is better than hawaii ..... well, their opinion is no better or more informed than my opinion that nevada is a better team than new mexico.

Here is the bottom line Vegas K, in NCAA HOOPS they give any team out of the 64 a chance to win the tournament and be the best in the nation. IN Football they do not give Hawaii a chance to win the title.

IF Hawaii can beat Georgia it will possibly mean in the future that teams from teh WAC will get more consideration, but they need to knock off a major school. BOISE DID it to Oklahoma, so who knows, anyone can beat anyone. However my friend I cannot argue with one thing and that is strength of schedule. It is like a team getting selected as a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament and having played all home games against cup cakes and Division 2 teams, that is not fair. SO while HAWAI is good they struggled to beat Washington and NEvada, if they were in the SEC they win 2 games if they are lucky.

I don't think Hawaii can beat LSU or Ohio state or FLorida, or Georgia, or West Virginia, V tech, Boston College, USC, OREGON, in fact I dont think they can beat Oregon state or BYU for that matter. Tennesee, AUBURN, there is for sure 10 teams that are better than them. If they want respect they have to earn it by beating Georgia soundly like a good 34-7 game to get respect

Seriously, one of the best articles I've read. You've sumed up my thoughts on the BCS perfectly. Why not let the teams leave it all out on the field and decide the games that way. I love CFB. It is by far my favorite time of year. And it sickens me every year the BCS stays around this great sport. Thanks for writing this article. I couldn't agree with you more.

I agree with everything you are saying but you picked a BAD game to prove your point. The way New Mexico bitch slapped Nevada just proves just how BAD the Weak Ass Conference is. If you really want to be considered when you are from the mid majors you need to schedule a Top 20 program. You will have to play them on the road to get them to do it. You will have to hope that they are not down that year but you are usually safe with Ohio St, Mich, Tex, OU, LSU, Fla, etc. BUT I absolutely agree there has to be a 8 or 16 team playoff that any undeafeted team gets in regardless of conference.

So you're saying you don't think LSU would have gone undefeated against the worst schedule in college football? I agree it sucks for Hawaii but since they played that cupcake schedule (not their fault either as many teams wouldn't play them...Michigan) there is a bit of an unknown that comes with them. If Hawaii snuck into the National Championship then all the major conference schools would go back to playing a K-State non-conference schedule each year. In the system we're stuck with now I believe tough schedules have to be rewarded when a tough decision has to be made.

Last edited:
Well written Kyle.

I agree with your points and think that there should be some sort of playoff system in place to give the Hawaii's of the world a chance at the title. You are correct in that Hawaii had no chance at the Championship from the get go.

So Kyle is surprised by the outcome of a game and that means that Hawaii should be number 1.

Interesting theory, I guess.

Seriously, NM beat a crappy Nevada team by three scores. THIS means Hawaii should be number 1?

No way, Jose.

Seabass, I think his point is that if he could be that wrong about a team/game then who's to say that the sports writers aren't wrong about Hawaii. Example, why wasn't Boise St. number 1 last year? They beat Okl., were undefeated yet had absolutely zero chance of ever being the BCS champ.

I agree that coming into this yr, Hawaii running the table had no shot at playing for the NC but that wasn't because they are from the WAC and not a major conference, its because outside of the WAC competition their biggest game was against Washington who they defeated by 7 points. I am going to have to disagree with you here Kyle. I realize that you never envisioned a way Nevada would lose like that to NM however in the grande scheme of things, that is just one game that you pegged wrong. To breakdown your statement:

New Mexico proved that Hawaii should be number 1.

I first have to ask why..Is it because out of 119 teams, they are the lone undefeated team? If the answer is yes, then at what point to make college football fair do you throw S.O.S out there as a factor in all of this? Hawaii doesn't play in a major conference so their OOC schedule had to be primetime to make up for conference games against Utah St, NMST, Idao, LaTech, SJST.

Then we have Hawaii's OOC schedule which includes games vs. Northern Colorado, UNLV, Charleston Souther, and Washington.

Now, I realize the Hawaii players or coaches didn't make this schedule, I realize they attempted to get more high profile teams, but should we reward them for their effort to try and schedule games or should we knock them for their actual schedule of games.

Did Hawaii do anything that any team in the top 10 couldn't do this yr, given who they played? If TOSU or LSU had that schedule would they both be 13-0?

LSU and Hawaii have 2 things in common, they both played 2 overtime games. Hawaii went to OT with LaTech and SJST, LSU went to triple OT with Kentucky and Arkansas, yes Hawaii won their OT games and LSU lost their OT games but if the situations were reversed, would the outcomes change?

While we will never know if Hawaii could go undefeated playing a SEC, P10, B10, B12 schedule, is it reasonable to assume that LSU, TOSU, Oklahoma, or UGA could run the table as well with that schedule?

I also realize that on any given Saturday, any team can win or lose but I don't think we can sit here and reasonably say, Hawaii should be #1, not with their biggest wins against Boise St and Washington.

Last edited:
i just looked for motivation when i filled out my confiedence pool. new mexico was going for the first bowl win since the 50s, second in school history and where playing at home. so i gave em a hefty 21 spot. byu on the other hand was playing a ucla i could see as hungry so a gave byu just a 3. ucla not having a coach and the interim coach auditioning for the HC job by showing how well he could prepare for this game helped formed a ucla edge imo.

i look moreso for motivation and what coaches/players are saying in the media when sorting through things. i lied ... with a little of the statisitics i suppose.

bowl season always seems to be crazy and when aren't 18-22 year old kids unpredictable?

You completely miscap a game and reach the conclusion that Hawaii should be the #1 team in the country?

That's quite a stretch; you're really just coming to a faulty conclusion to help you 'get over' you're Nevada bet. There was a lot pointing to a Lobo victory...Long was feeling some heat over an underachieving season and the fact they haven't won a bowl since 1961; Nevada had a satisfying season and freshmen in the backfield; NM dominated SJSU in this same game LY but lost cause of turnovers.

I understand vegaskyle's point.....

No one really understands this season, it should all be decided on the field....

That is all he is saying guys, don't try and read too much into it. Hawaii may be a stretch, but he is using them to make a point, that everyone who "thinks" they know something really doesn't....Hawaii had no chance to win the national title from the get go, the whole problem with the BCS and everyone's preconceived theories on how the season should go.

Please read Kyle's post before you comment on it. His points are perhaps not phrased as well as they could be, but he has a thesis if you read everything above and it is beyond the simple statement that 'New Mexico winning means Hawaii should be #1'.

I will try to respond to each and every reply in here. I think most of you understand my point.

Hawaii ML

throwback -- hope not , i already bet georgia -7

Here is the bottom line Vegas K, in NCAA HOOPS they give any team out of the 64 a chance to win the tournament and be the best in the nation. IN Football they do not give Hawaii a chance to win the title.

sammy - yup

However my friend I cannot argue with one thing and that is strength of schedule. It is like a team getting selected as a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament and having played all home games against cup cakes and Division 2 teams, that is not fair. SO while HAWAI is good they struggled to beat Washington and NEvada, if they were in the SEC they win 2 games if they are lucky.

Here is the problem ,sammy. We can say that hawaii would be lucky to win 2 games if they played in the SEC ( i am in agreement with you that i THINK similarly in regards to how they would do ) but all it would be is our opinion. Think about it ... I have such strong opinions on these football games this year that i have actually been putting money on my opinion. 48 percent of the time , i have been wrong. Why is it a certainty that I am right that hawaii would finish near the bottom of the SEC ? In your example of the ncaa tourney ..... no matter what your seed is in the tournament 1, 7 , or 64 ... if you win all your games you win the title. Sure the preconceived notions hurt the small schools there too ... as they generally are rated so low that they are seeded against the perceived powerhouses and then have to play that powerhouse generally in an area of the country that is beneficial to the better seed. It is not fair to the small conferences either but atleast they have the OPPORTUNITY to win their games and become a champion.

don't think Hawaii can beat LSU or Ohio state or FLorida, or Georgia, or West Virginia, V tech, Boston College, USC, OREGON, in fact I dont think they can beat Oregon state or BYU for that matter. Tennesee, AUBURN, there is for sure 10 teams that are better than them. If they want respect they have to earn it by beating Georgia soundly like a good 34-7 game to get respect

Again , I have the same opinion that hawaii is not one of the ten best teams in the nation. I also thought fsu might be the best team in the acc this year , that louisville was the best in the big east , that tcu was the best in the mwc , that texas was the best in the big 12 , that penn state was the best in the big 10. All of those other opinions that i was wrong about got decided on the field ... the national championship does not. Just because i think lsu is a better football team than hawaii does not make it so.

Seriously, one of the best articles I've read. You've sumed up my thoughts on the BCS perfectly. Why not let the teams leave it all out on the field and decide the games that way. I love CFB. It is by far my favorite time of year. And it sickens me every year the BCS stays around this great sport. Thanks for writing this article. I couldn't agree with you more

:cheers:

I agree with everything you are saying but you picked a BAD game to prove your point. The way New Mexico bitch slapped Nevada just proves just how BAD the Weak Ass Conference is. If you really want to be considered when you are from the mid majors you need to schedule a Top 20 program. You will have to play them on the road to get them to do it. You will have to hope that they are not down that year but you are usually safe with Ohio St, Mich, Tex, OU, LSU, Fla, etc. BUT I absolutely agree there has to be a 8 or 16 team playoff that any undeafeted team gets in regardless of conference

mrgoode--So the mid major has to travel to the big school ... not a home and home .... seems fair. har har . It is no wonder that the major conferences have such lofty records against the smaller conferences .... they are always at home. any playoff would have to include every conference champion, including the sun belt, not just undefeated teams. All teams have to be eligible to win the title ... a first place sun belt team is more deserving of a playoff spot than a second place SEC team. If you win your conference , you make the playoff ..... this enables every team .. no matter their conference the opportunity to be champion.

So you're saying you don't think LSU would have gone undefeated against the worst schedule in college football?

paint --Not saying that at all ... in fact i think lsu goes undefeated against that schedule by a much larger margin of victory. But just because I believe they would doesnt mean they would. I have shown the ability to be wrong from time to time.

If Hawaii snuck into the National Championship then all the major conference schools would go back to playing a K-State non-conference schedule each year. In the system we're stuck with now I believe tough schedules have to be rewarded when a tough decision has to be made

if you took every conference winner to a playoff , the nonconference schedules would actually be better , since you can afford to lose your non conference games. As it is now ... the bcs teams simply dont want to travel to hawaii to play a tough game that if they win , does not help them much. Much easier to schedule a perceived lesser to come play in your big stadium so they can get a check.

I agree with your points and think that there should be some sort of playoff system in place to give the Hawaii's of the world a chance at the title. You are correct in that Hawaii had no chance at the Championship from the get go.

ljc --:cheers:

So Kyle is surprised by the outcome of a game and that means that Hawaii should be number 1.

Interesting theory, I guess.

Seriously, NM beat a crappy Nevada team by three scores. THIS means Hawaii should be number 1?

No way, Jose

Taking the thread title a bit too literally. It is more of a tag line. ljc states it more clearly for me here....

Seabass, I think his point is that if he could be that wrong about a team/game then who's to say that the sports writers aren't wrong about Hawaii. Example, why wasn't Boise St. number 1 last year? They beat Okl., were undefeated yet had absolutely zero chance of ever being the BCS champ.

well said sir

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">New Mexico proved that Hawaii should be number 1. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I first have to ask why..Is it because out of 119 teams, they are the lone undefeated team? If the answer is yes, then at what point to make college football fair do you throw S.O.S out there as a factor in all of this? Hawaii doesn't play in a major conference so their OOC schedule had to be primetime to make up for conference games against Utah St, NMST, Idao, LaTech, SJST.

the problem with this logic is that we are again pre determining not only which teams ae better than which teams ... by your logic .. and that of the bcs we are predetermining which conferences as a whole are better. I thought sports was supposed to be decided on the field , or the court or the ice. BTW the mwc is now 3-0 this year in bowl games with wins vs independents , pac 10 and wac teams.

As far as the qoute goes ... it is more of a tagline. Try not to focus on that as much. perhaps it should read that hawaii may be the number 1 team.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 675767" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2> just looked for motivation when i filled out my confiedence pool. new mexico was going for the first bowl win since the 50s, second in school history and where playing at home. so i gave em a hefty 21 spot. byu on the other hand was playing a ucla i could see as hungry so a gave byu just a 3. ucla not having a coach and the interim coach auditioning for the HC job by showing how well he could prepare for this game helped formed a ucla edge imo.

i look moreso for motivation and what coaches/players are saying in the media when sorting through things. i lied ... with a little of the statisitics i suppose.

bowl season always seems to be crazy and when aren't 18-22 year old kids unpredictable?</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 12:13 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

brewer -- i also read up on player qoutes and coaches comments as well. You were definitely correct and i was definitely incorrect when it comes to motivation. I saw a clear advantage in motivation for nevada .. they came out flat and new mexico was flying all over the field. as far as the first bowl win since the fifties ... that certainly hadnt motivated them the last five years prior to this. but make no bones about it ... lobos were motivated and wolfpack wasn't. i was wrong.

You completely miscap a game and reach the conclusion that Hawaii should be the #1 team in the country?

no. i am saying if i can be wrong that nevada is clearly the superior team , then i could also be wrong that lsu is a better football team than hawaii, or that the SEC is better than the ACC etc etc etc.

I understand vegaskyle's point.....

No one really understands this season, it should all be decided on the field....

That is all he is saying guys, don't try and read too much into it. Hawaii may be a stretch, but he is using them to make a point, that everyone who "thinks" they know something really doesn't....Hawaii had no chance to win the national title from the get go, the whole problem with the BCS and everyone's preconceived theories on how the season should go.

I think ljc and hawaiiguy understand my point for the most part. The controversial thread title is perhaps hiding my point more than i intended.

kyle,

I definitely see your point on perception and would love to see a playoff but given they only get to select two statistics & perception is all that can be used. Sending all conference winners into a playoff would be interesting but not something I'd prefer as you'd have teams like CMU (who got throttled by Kansas, Clemson, & Purdue) in the playoffs with somebody like Georgia staying home. I'd rather see the major conference champs plus the top two non-champs in the BCS standings with an exception for an undefeated Mid-Major to be included if they are not in the top 8.

Agreed that Hawaii had no chance before the season started but given you only get to select two teams and the schedule they played I think it's understandable. Playoffs are obviously necessary though to settle it on the field...just a matter of how many teams and the criteria by which they are selected.

Kyle - I think it would be great if everyone had a chance to win but I was just trying to come up with a plan that might be acceptable to the powers that be and under current circumstances the Sun Belt conference champion (and others) would not be allowed in because they won their conference. I think it would be a higher chance that the entire conference would be booted from FCS or whatever the hell they call it now. If we can ever get a true playoff then we can work on ways to improve whatever they come up with but almost anything is better than this except what we had before.

Back