Nebraska @ Northwestern - Interesting

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
Opened at 8.5 and now has plummeted to 3.5 in some places. Fitzgerald seems to be coaching his tail off this year. Thought that Michigan game was going to sap everything out of his team, given how they lost, including the coach given what he put into that game. They bounce right back last weekend and go to East Lansing and take down Sparty. We all know where Nebraska is at this point - I guess a depleted team desperately looking for a win Evansville.

Probably just need to file this one away as a line that smells, really bad. I'll hang up and listen.

don't really see anything fishy about this. The Nebraska defense has a problem stopping the power run (Mich and Wisky), but held up ok against 2 of the 3 spread teams (Colorado and Troy - yds/play in the 4.6 range for both iirc). They did struggle with Purdue, but Purdue has better skill guys than NW does. Neb offense getting better, Martinez now fully healthy, OL has been shuffled a bit which has been for the better. Top 2 RBs are in place.

I like Nebraska to win this one.

I like NW. I don't think Nebraska gets it turned around until they catch Minnesota at home...think we're looking at 2-10 for them. They have to be leading the NCAA in dumb penalties....and special teams is a joke...guys transferring out right and left.

the special teams has been pitiful. I think they've solved one problem by changing punters. The backup did well vs Wisconsin, which wasn't a surprise to people who have watched both punters practice. They put Mo Washington, who is going to be a great player the next two/three years, as the main kickoff guy. He took one 70 yds which was called back on another phantom penalty against us. Spielman is now returning punts and he is far, far better than Lindsay who did transfer out. I think they were playing Lindsay as the PR to give him something to do. He was awful at it. Spielman is at least decent. The two coverage units are still terrible.

On the two mid season transfers:

Lindsay - never did a thing, was spielman's backup, not a huge loss.
Bell - had been the starting RB, thoroughly outplayed by Ozigbo, pouted that he got demoted, was going to be 3rd string behind Ozigbo and Washington, again not a huge loss unless one of the other 2 get hurt.

I think the transfers are helping the team. You're either in or you're out and these guys were out.

It’s amazing how easily these guys could be 4-2 if they just stop shitting the bed. Agree big value on em down the stretch. I saw things against NW that were big improvements defensively. just personnel wise in general they looked to have the right pieces in place. Martinez will continue to improve as most freshmen do. Super talented kid who is learning things the hard way on the field. With the exception of the top teams that they can’t compete with athletically I am going to start throwing down on em each week

i should put the two big plays NW had on their final drive on youtube so everyone could watch them. the first one has our deep safety doing the most ridiculous thing I've seen since the Minny/NO playoff game last year. It's truly unbelievable.

Back