NCAAF Week 10

Crimson, tomorrow when you check in, this ECU game has intrigued me all week. I know you took a good number when you saw it, wonding you think ECU D is up for the challenge vs this version of Memphis. And you think Memphis has some vulnerabilities perhaps that ECU can capitalize on? Thanks.

Crimson, tomorrow when you check in, this ECU game has intrigued me all week. I know you took a good number when you saw it, wonding you think ECU D is up for the challenge vs this version of Memphis. And you think Memphis has some vulnerabilities perhaps that ECU can capitalize on? Thanks.
I'll start with the ECU D. I think they are better than they have been in ages. That's kinda like being the tallest midget so you gotta TIFWIW. They are an average rush defense, which is where you prefer to have your strength when you play Memphis, and dare I say a good pass defense. I've been pretty critical about Brady White and the Memphis pass offense so i don't think they are going to have a bunch of success, though I do think this game is going to be played at such a high tempo that both teams are gonna score quite a bit due to sheer volume of snaps. Memphis usually beats up on the really bad defenses they play but I'm not willing to just group ECU into that bucket this year.

On offense, I love the switch that ECU made at QB going with Holton Ahlers. If you haven't watched him, think Tim Tebow. Florida actually offered him as a QB, so he's got rare talent for a G5 QB. What he doesnt have is experience. He got a start last game against UCF and accounted for nearly 500 yards of offense. Much like what they have dealt with this year, ECU yardage output failed to meet their scoring production by a large margin. I think they are a strong candidate for positive scoring regression to close the year. For ex, 496 yards against UCF but only 10 points scored. That's nearly impossible to do. ECU still has hopes for a bowl so they should give full effort. The other thing that makes me optimistic is how bad the Memphis defense is, particularly the pass defense. I do think that ECU is going to be able to trade punches with Memphis. Temple, Houston, UCF are past three offenses that ECU has faced and Memphis is the worst of that group, esp if you just sellout to stop Henderson and force White to move off his spot and throw it to beat you.

Hope that helps, have a great saturday!

Back