NCAA Foots Week 1

nropp11

Vice-President of Fondy Fanclub
0-0, +0.00

Not too many conference games on slate for week 1, but we got a few we can lean on:

#7 Oregon State at #8 Stanford
#3 Troy at #4 Middle Tennessee State
#4 SMU at #6 Rice
#9 Washington at #2 Oregon
#2 TCU at #5 New Mexico

August 29, 2008
SMU at Rice
SMU +3

There are a few things present in this play. One, I think SMU’s a better team which is evident in my Conference USA West pre-season rankings. Two, new coaches. After a few good years at Texas State, David Bailiff joined the reigns at Rice last year, and admitted to doing a horrible job. He tried implementing his own system, which gave them a pretty damn good offense, but their defense was the worst in the conference, 2nd worst in the nation. He’s stated numerous times this off-season that he’s changing everything to suit his personnel. These kids are probably sick of it. For some of them, this will be their third coach in the last four years, and this marks the fourth time this team has changed it’s offensive and defensive style of play. The problem is, Bailiff has always been known as a defensive coach. Yet, last year, his team gives up a whopping 510 yards a game. I don’t see this defense improving.

On the other side of the ball, you have million dollar man June Jones added into the mix for the Mustangs. How does Rice prepare for this offense? They don’t have a clue what to prepare for, how to prepare, or even why to prepare. It’s virtually impossible to predict what this team is going to do in it’s first game under it’s new coach, but I’m going to assume that it’s going to be a run and gun offense, where the receivers will shine. They have the talent with Willis at quarterback. He can run, he can pass, and do it all. Problem is, he missed spring camp due to some trouble, but everything points he’ll be ready to go for the opener. Clearly, it’s Willis/Sanders versus Clement/Dillard on the offensive side of things, and I’m gonna side with the better defense with a bit of a size advantage on Dillard here. I also just don’t think that a horrible Rice defense can contain a QB who averaged over 300 total yards of offense combined last year, especially with the new style of offense, and very little preparation knowledge. Also, SMU is returning their complete defensive front, and a few of their cornerbacks who have previous experience against Clement here, so they know what they’re looking at. As for special teams being the game is lines at a field goal, SMU probably has the best punter in the conference, and one of the top field goal kickers in the conference in Morstead should this game come down to field position or a close game down the stretch.

I just think that the addition of Jones to SMU, and everything that Rice has gone through as far as changing schemes sets up for an SMU win here in game 1 of the season. I will probably add more info to this closer to game time.

2* SMU +3

Lean Oregon – hate chalk. Lean TCU – hate chalk. Got about a month to check out the rest, few stick out, but hate first few weeks non-conference games.

I-L-L

GL

:18_1_104v:
Glad pigskin is back!

If SMU gets the win here, why not the ML? Also, when you say you like Oregon, are you talking about the Ducks or the Beavers. TCU should dominate LOS the entire game; chalk is not a great thing, but it is sometimes the correct way to go.

Are you sticking to the 1*-3* betting sizing? GL this season

:18_1_104v:
Glad pigskin is back!

If SMU gets the win here, why not the ML? Also, when you say you like Oregon, are you talking about the Ducks or the Beavers. TCU should dominate LOS the entire game; chalk is not a great thing, but it is sometimes the correct way to go.

Are you sticking to the 1*-3* betting sizing? GL this season

nothin bigger than 3*, maybe one or two, but not often

nice write-up...i'll have to take a closer look now. i wouldn't back rice no matter who was at the helm with that dreadful defense. your write-up + the way the line is set is enough to make me look at the over closer as well...doubt smu will necessarily stop rice either. gl this season neil...should be an awesome smu/rice game to kick things off for you lol

Any thoughts on I-L-L vs mizzou ?

i'll get to this game in a few days

i lean with the points, but just not sure

this is by far the game of the week, and i think it'll be a close game

i also think illinois is a top 10 team, but many think i am druuuunk.

bump.gif

Also, nroppdiddy you my fucking boy but no way in hell illinois is top 10. I settle for top 40ish. hall is gone. tae is best in country and he wears #1 for a fuckign good reason, he gonna be #1 in 09 nfl draft but hall was our heart. benn is that shit too at wr but who's gonna get him the ball? i have no expectations like i did last year of this team. middle of pack in big10 is my prediction.

was dead on with my sox at 87 and a possible WC. see how this goes...

I think opening weekend will give us a good look at the Illini's football squad. Last yr, they made a great 3Q push to make what seemed to be a blowout a close game. They showed resilience in that first game against Mizzou, and later that season they upset Ohio St and made the Rose Bowl.

GL Nropp nice to see you back

fondys not lying either- steed WILL give you head on command if asked by the partners:whip:

Didn't post much last year, but you were one of the most solid cappers on this site....good to see you back this year :shake:

Also, nroppdiddy you my fucking boy but no way in hell illinois is top 10. I settle for top 40ish. hall is gone. tae is best in country and he wears #1 for a fuckign good reason, he gonna be #1 in 09 nfl draft but hall was our heart. benn is that shit too at wr but who's gonna get him the ball? i have no expectations like i did last year of this team. middle of pack in big10 is my prediction.

was dead on with my sox at 87 and a possible WC. see how this goes...

Nobody expected ILL to do good last year. Mendenhall had shown flashes of being good, but not as good as he was last year. Hell, their is higher expectations this year than last.

Watch out.

I think opening weekend will give us a good look at the Illini's football squad. Last yr, they made a great 3Q push to make what seemed to be a blowout a close game. They showed resilience in that first game against Mizzou, and later that season they upset Ohio St and made the Rose Bowl.

The same Ohio State that visits new memorial stadium this year.

Thursday, August 28
Utep at Buffalo
Buffalo -3
Two years ago, UTEP coach Price had signed a home game to be played against Texas on September 6, 2008. Immediately, Price and the AD went looking for another game to be played prior to the Texas game that would qualify as an easy win, or an easy road opponent to play to be ready for Texas. Two years ago, that would have worked and they probably would have been the favorite in this spot. In the last two years at Buffalo, Turner Gill has taken a team of nothing and transformed it into a team with a ton of potential. They can no longer sneak up on anybody, just as many MAC teams do year in and year out. They return ten people on offense. They rarely turn the ball over, and every star at each position is back. The defense is sad though, which keeps this at a 1*. What I aim at here is certain teams have strengths, and how they match up. UTEP was top 20 against the pass last year in interceptions. Drew Willy of Buffalo has not thrown an interception since last September. They’re also a hard league to prepare for, which is why you also see Miami, OH favored this week as well. They’ll run, run, run, and then they’ll throw a few screens, a few trick plays, and open it up, which is something UTEP is not use to playing against or preparing for. With a game lined at 58.5, I look at the offense. Which offense do I think can take care of the ball more than the other? No question, Buffalo has proved this already. UTEP hasn’t had a 300 yard passer since 1986, a 100 yard rusher since 2002, and a 100 yard receiver since 1993. We have a young team going on the road for the first time, with a visit from Texas coming into their own place next week.

1* Buffalo –3
<O:p
Vandy/Miami OH
I don’t have any interest. I think Miami wins the East division of the MAC rather easily though, and this game here could finish 7-3.
NC State/South Carolina
My #4 SEC vs. my #4 ACC. Don’t like it.
Wake Forest/Baylor
Not interested. Think Wake is gonna be tough this year, for some reason, I see a struggle in game one.
Oregon State/Stanford
My #7 Pac 10 vs my #8 Pac 10. Not interested.

Thursday, August 28
Troy at Middle Tennessee State
Middle Tennessee State +6.5 and ML
My #3 (TROY) in the Sun Belt vs. My #4 (MTST) in the Sun Belt. I just think 6.5 is too much here. Troy’s coming off a season where they faltered down the stretch and shared the Sun Belt crown. With that, they lost almost all of their offensive production in Haugabrook, and their top two defensive players. After losing all this talent, they go to LSU next week, after a matchup w/ Alcorn State the next week. Seven of their first nine will be on the road. I’m actually not sure why they’re favored here w/ the situations we have at the moment. This is a Troy team who IS looking towards LSU and Ohio State. There is no question about it, b/c the exposure they garnered last year downing Oklahoma State was tremendous. Middle Tennessee State is coming off a season where a total of 26 players missed at least one game with an injury. Both quarterbacks have the experience of playing half the games last year, both with impressive numbers. There is one team in the Sun Belt Stockstill hasn’t beaten yet and that is Troy. This is a rivalry game, and I’m getting 6.5 points on the home dog in a game that I honestly feel should be lined at a FG dog, if not favored by one. The reason they’re not? Simple. They got the living sh*t beat out of them last year in the final game of the season by Troy, 45-7, a game, that many seniors said caused them to prepare that much harder in the offseason knowing that the first opponent would be this same exact Troy team. Revenge, Lookahead, and a totally different Troy team on the road w/ little experience for game number one.
3* Middle Tennessee State +6.5
1* Middle Tennessee State ML +220
Friday
Temple/Army
Temple will contend w/ Miami OH for the MAC East, but still one year away. No interest in this game.
Already posted SMU at +3, still a go.

Recapping up until Saturday’s celebration of Illinois beating Missouri….

2* SMU +3
1* Buffalo –3
Only playing two games on Saturday, both will be 1*’s.
GL

gl ropp; good to see you on buffalo and looks like you are in agreement with my vandy/miami under play as well. i added smu after looking at it closer after your write-up, and although i'm way too scared to play mtsu here, i would definitely only play that side of it. great insight as expected

have to respect the 3*designation, but how does MTS keep that Troy front out of thier backfield w/ all the injuries and defections?Gl w/ your play.

Thursday, August 28
Troy at Middle Tennessee State
Middle Tennessee State +6.5 and ML
My #3 (TROY) in the Sun Belt vs. My #4 (MTST) in the Sun Belt. I just think 6.5 is too much here. Troy’s coming off a season where they faltered down the stretch and shared the Sun Belt crown. With that, they lost almost all of their offensive production in Haugabrook, and their top two defensive players. After losing all this talent, they go to LSU next week, after a matchup w/ Alcorn State the next week. Seven of their first nine will be on the road. I’m actually not sure why they’re favored here w/ the situations we have at the moment. This is a Troy team who IS looking towards LSU and Ohio State. There is no question about it, b/c the exposure they garnered last year downing Oklahoma State was tremendous. Middle Tennessee State is coming off a season where a total of 26 players missed at least one game with an injury. Both quarterbacks have the experience of playing half the games last year, both with impressive numbers. There is one team in the Sun Belt Stockstill hasn’t beaten yet and that is Troy. This is a rivalry game, and I’m getting 6.5 points on the home dog in a game that I honestly feel should be lined at a FG dog, if not favored by one. The reason they’re not? Simple. They got the living sh*t beat out of them last year in the final game of the season by Troy, 45-7, a game, that many seniors said caused them to prepare that much harder in the offseason knowing that the first opponent would be this same exact Troy team. Revenge, Lookahead, and a totally different Troy team on the road w/ little experience for game number one.
<o>:p</o>
<o></o>

This rivalry is billed as the "Battle for the Palladium." Bet you didn't know that, huh?

:popcorn:

I came close to playing it myself, so I hope that means you have the right side. I just came away unsure Middle has closed the talent gap enough, even though they should be improved and Troy weakened. Good luck.

I liked Little Middle at first, but just way to many injuries on the O-Line and just all around bad fall camp for the Blue Raiders. Hope they pull it out for you though.

Revenge, Lookahead, and a totally different Troy team on the road w/ little experience for game number one.

It reminds me a little of last year's MTSU season opener. FAU was a no-brainer in that one. MTSU had Louisville on deck, while FAU was avenging a manhandling -- total domination at the LOS -- by MTSU in 2006. However, FAU didn't have the OL injuries that Middle has here. But at +7 I could come around to your point of view.

They got the living sh*t beat out of them last year in the final game of the season by Troy, 45-7, a game, that many seniors said caused them to prepare that much harder in the offseason knowing that the first opponent would be this same exact Troy team.

I like this angle. Opening against a team that routed you in the previous season's finale is pretty rare, but I recall Temple covering easily last year against a Navy team that had spanked them 42-6 to close out the Owls' 2006 season.

you coming to champaign this year for ILL/MIN? Basketball scrimmage/dunk contest/festivities on the foosball field after the foosball game.

Will be there 6am that morning

Doubt it. Looks like a family wedding that weekend.

Would be nice to see the upset, though...:cheers:

no, i was talking about minnesota, not ohio state.

:cheers:

whoa, neil. doubt you'll have two blatantly missed calls that led to illinois tds this time around, and doubt boeckman will throw enough to throw 3 picks in your territory to bail you out...just a heavy dose of beanie and appearances in a lot of heisman highlights
:smiley_acbe:

UTEP hasn’t had a 300 yard passer since 1986, a 100 yard rusher since 2002, and a 100 yard receiver since 1993.

This stat is shocking ......I hope it's true b/c it shows that year in year out that UTEP is offensively inept but I recall them having Jordan Palmer there and all they did was throw and get in high scoring battles. How sure are you on your stats - trying to dig up college football stats is sometimes not easy.

whoa, neil. doubt you'll have two blatantly missed calls that led to illinois tds this time around, and doubt boeckman will throw enough to throw 3 picks in your territory to bail you out...just a heavy dose of beanie and appearances in a lot of heisman highlights

Excuses, excuses.

They have almost as many excuses as BCS losses...
icon12.gif

last year was a re-building year people! only the bucks have re-building years that result in being #2 in the country! haha

GL nropp.. not really sure what to think about this one with Willis being demoted. coach knows best i suppose... but a freshman out there leading the run-and-shoot makes me quiver. any thoughts?

GL nropp.. not really sure what to think about this one with Willis being demoted. coach knows best i suppose... but a freshman out there leading the run-and-shoot makes me quiver. any thoughts?

we're gonna need 40 points to win.

'an_horse'

Back