NBAX 2013

hugh613

Pretty much a regular
YTD: 0-0, +/-0.00

Saturday:

10/5/2013 7:00 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 501 Chicago Bulls/Indiana Pacers* Under 182½ -110
10/5/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 503 New Orleans Pelicans/Houston Rockets* Over 195½ -110
10/5/2013 10:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 505 Golden State Warriors* -7½ -110 vs Los Angeles Lakers

*Not sure there's much point in writing up pre-season, but a few thoughts anyways: a) even with Derrick Rose to start the game, it would take a major defensive letdown on the part of both teams to see this one over (the starters can barely shoot, what are the benches going to get done?), b) it's the Rockets, so the pace is always going to be there, even if the shots aren't necessarily dropping at first (and, unlike pasts seasons, the Hornets / Pelicans actually have some shooters this season in Jrue Holliday and Tyreke Evans) - a regular season total in the 205-210 range and I'd be a little hesitant, but 195 seems a little soft to me, even for pre-season and c) the Warriors bench could probably beat Kobe/Pau/Nash, so with all three (likely) out, this one's got a shot at being a walk in the park.

:cheers:

YTD: 2-1, +0.90

Sunday:

10/6/2013 12:00 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 699 Philadelphia 76ers/Uxue Bilbao Basket* Under 186½ -110
*From what I can gather, this Bilbao team doesn't play with a whole lot of pace, doesn't shoot the ball particularly well, and doesn't shoot the three very much either; in other words, pretty much a mirror image of the Sixers. Two more things that should help the total here: 1) I'm not positive, but if the OKC game is any indication, NBA rules apply (ie. 12 minute quarters), so odds are Bilbao's plenty gassed by the time the fourth quarter rolls around (they only managed to put up 61 in a game against Real Madrid on Friday, so I'm not sure 8 additional minutes is going to make much of a difference) and 2) the Sixers don't have a whole lot of depth to begin with, never mind injuries to start the pre-season, so I would think this game would be more about who else can play besides Turner, Hawes and Young (and, if that's the case, good luck finding any offense).

Maybe it's a Sixers blowout, maybe not, but I doubt Bilbao manages to put up enough points to get this one over.

:cheers: Thanks SF_Capper - good luck to us this season.

Not to sound like I'm making excuses, but when the refs decide to dole out 78 free throw attempts, that pretty much changes everything...

YTD: 2-2, -0.20

Adding:

10/6/2013 9:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 701 Denver Nuggets/Los Angeles Lakers* Over 205½ -110
*Last night's game finished at 199 with the Warriors and Lakers combining to go 11-43 from 3. That shouldn't be an issue tonight with the Nuggets in town.

YTD: 2-3, -1.30

Monday:

10/7/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 505 Memphis Grizzlies/Chicago Bulls* Over 183 -110
*I think I've bet the Lakers for the final time this pre-season... Anyways, I've always been a big believer that the Grizzlies could be a much more potent offensive team if they just picked up the pace a bit, and clearly I'm not alone in my thinking because that's the primary reason Lionel Hollins is no longer the head coach in Memphis. What does that mean for tonight's total? In theory, at least, it should mean a few more shots, a few more transition baskets, and a little less defensive pressure at each end - important variables to consider when handicapping totals. As for the Bulls, not having to face Roy Hibbert should mean improving upon their offensive production from Saturday night, and Derrick Rose slowly finding his rhythm should open up the floor for everyone else. It's not going to be 110-100, but I don't see any reason why both teams can't find their way into the 90's in this one, so let's go...

And just an FYI, this game is being played at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, so the Bulls might be a little more willing to oblige the Grizzlies should they decide to run.

YTD: 3-3, -0.30

Tuesday:

10/8/2013 3:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 701 Oklahoma City Thunder* -6½ -120 vs Philadelphia 76ers
*The Sixers put up 106 on Sunday, but... that doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what actually happened in that game: 1) 106 points, but... they also went to the line 46 times (the bulk of which happened during the 1H), so what you had was 55 points in the 1H (a lot of which was due to repeatedly going to the line - I count 23 points from free throws alone) and 51 points in the 2H (once the Spanish side had to start backing off due to foul trouble). So considering the average NBA team goes to the line about 22, 23 times a game and, unlike the Bilbao players, OKC knows how an NBA game is generally called, the Sixers won't be getting those free points again, 2) the Sixers forced 31 turnovers, so while I can't say for sure how many of those led to fast break points, considering the average NBA team turns the ball over around 14 times a game, the Sixers won't be getting those free points again either, 3) with all that said, the Sixers still managed to give up 104 to a Spanish side that doesn't score all that much domestically, so considering the Thunder have managed to put up a minimum 109 in six of the last seven regular season matchups between the two, the sky might be the limit on this one and 4) honestly, the Sixers just aren't that good... As for the Thunder, they put up a fairly impressive performance against one of the better clubs in Europe in Fenerbahce in their opener, so I don't see any reason why that would change against a Sixers side that doesn't match up well with them at all.

It might not be a rout, but I think it would take a massive letdown on the part of OKC to keep Philadelphia in this game.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v2AC41dglnM" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="320"></iframe>

Thinking hard about playing the Thunder today myself.

Little daytime degen action.
That's the great thing about gambling and the internet - there's always something going on somewhere. *LOL* I'll see if I can find a rotation schedule somewhere so people can make up their own minds on this.

“We still need to play with a better pace offensively and get into our offense much quicker,” Brooks explained. “From a technical standpoint we need to do a better job closing out on their shooters and not allowing easy drives. Those are things we’ll work on as this month unfolds.”

“[We just want to] go out there and get better as a team,” forward Thaddeus Young said after practice Monday.” We know OKC is a very good team. They’ve been together the past few years, and they’ve been to the playoffs, the Finals, so we just basically want to go out there and just play hard and just make sure we get into all our [offensive sets] and do what we want to do.”

I know it's pre season, but man... This is a rough game to watch. Think I'll switch to Bethenny for a bit and come back at the half...

Hopefully Scott Brooks tears into them at the half (4-18 from 3. Maybe, gee I don't know, stop taking so many 3's then...)

Adding:

10/8/2013 3:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 701 Oklahoma City Thunder* Over 50½ -110 vs Philadelphia 76ers for 2nd Half
*48 all things considered, so either they get hot from downtown or start taking it to the hole. That or they empty out the bench, I don't know...

:angry:

Think I'll abandon the write ups from now on lest I sucker in more innocent victims into tagging along (although, in my defense, the Thunder fumbled away two defensive rebounds at the end that led directly to four Philadelphia points and, honestly, I am positively floored that Brett Brown left the starters in right until the end - I thought pre-season was about finding out who else makes the team, not finding out about what you already know is in place.)

YTD: 4-4, -0.50

Adding:

10/8/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 705 Milwaukee Bucks* Over 91 -110 vs Cleveland Cavaliers

:cheers: Good luck.

Bethanny?
bethenny-premiere-569x293.jpg

Not the best of starts...

Adding:

10/8/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 704 Washington Wizards* Under 47½ -110 vs Brooklyn Nets for 2nd Half
10/8/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 705 Milwaukee Bucks* Over 46 -110 vs Cleveland Cavaliers for 2nd Half

YTD: 5-6, -1.70

Tuesday:

10/8/2013 10:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 711 Denver Nuggets* -3 -105 vs LA Lakers for 1st Half
*I feel a little duped after reading Randy Wittman say Wall and Nene were going to play limited minutes tonight... Anyways, I know I swore off Lakers games, but I need something to occupy me until I go to sleep, so I guess it'll serve me right if the Lakers cover.

YTD: 5-7, -2.75

Wednesday:

10/9/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 501 Minnesota Timberwolves/Toronto Raptors* Over 190½ -120
10/9/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 503 New Orleans Pelicans/Orlando Magic* Under 186½ -120
*Think it might be time to shut this down...

Nice work wade.

Why are you laying 20 cents on those totals?
Investing three hours of my time just to push isn't worth it to me, so why not? And besides, in the grand scheme of things, 10 cents isn't going to make or break me - not handicapping games properly in order to find soft numbers (or what I think are soft numbers) will, so on the off chance it lands right on the number, why not give myself an out?

YTD: 5-9, -5.15

Saturday:

10/12/2013 8:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 710 Milwaukee Bucks* Over 96½ -110 vs Charlotte Bobcats
*Lots of injuries for the Bucks against the Bobcats but, within the context of tonight's game, that might actually be a good thing in that Larry Drew should be forced to shorten his bench in the Bucks pre-season home opener. Throw in the fact that Charlotte have had the worst DEFF Overall and Away the past few seasons, and the Bucks should be in position to bring this one home down the stretch.

YTD: 5-10, -6.25

Wednesday:

10/16/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 703 Dallas Mavericks* Over 91 -110 vs Indiana Pacers
10/16/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 705 Detroit Pistons/Chicago Bulls* Under 185½ -110
10/16/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 707 Orlando Magic* Over 99½ -110 vs Houston Rockets
*Things have been so gawd awful for me this year, I always held out hope that shit would turn around once basketball started. Apparently I was wrong...

:cheers: Thanks bum and thank you to wadegarrett as well - you will be missed my friend.

Adding:

10/16/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 705 Detroit Pistons/Chicago Bulls* Under 90½ -110 for 2nd Half
10/16/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 707 Orlando Magic* +1½ -110 vs Houston Rockets for 2nd Half

YTD: 10-10, -1.25

Friday:

10/18/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 603 Memphis Grizzlies/Orlando Magic* Under 191 -110
10/18/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball
605 Indiana Pacers/Chicago Bulls* Under 184½ -110

What's ur source that griffin is out?
I highlighted the link in my post (plus I said "looks like", which isn't really the same as "he's out"):

Griffin sat out the previous two games, including Tuesday in Phoenix, with a sore right ankle. Griffin is considered day-to-day, although Rivers has suggested the Clippers superstar may not play until Saturday’s tilt with the Nuggets in Las Vegas.

Of course, now there's this...
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" title="Embedded Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Doc Rivers says Blake Griffin will start tonight.
— Los Angeles Clippers (@LAClippers) October 19, 2013
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Dude's dealing with a sore ankle, and now you're going to risk injury just because it's the pre-season opener at home. Smart...
<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You like clips 1h? How will blazers deal with their bigs with Lopez and freeland? Matthews also out

You like clips 1h? How will blazers deal with their bigs with Lopez and freeland? Matthews also out
I'm not really very good with sides, to be honest (actually, based on my pre-season numbers, I'm not really sure how good I am with totals either). This is just based off the stats from the first game they played (89-81 LAC, 37% LAC, 36% POR, and not a whole lot of pace either). Plus the Clippers are such a strange team (score 35 in the 1Q, then score 14 in the 2Q - you never really know with them).

Good luck which ever way you go.

:shake:

YTD: 12-11, -0.35

Saturday:

10/19/2013 7:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 657 Indiana Pacers* Over 92½ -110 vs Cleveland Cavaliers
10/19/2013 10:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball
659 Denver Nuggets/Los Angeles Clippers* Under 194 -110

:cheers: Thanks Gorg.

Adding:

10/19/2013 7:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 655 San Antonio Spurs/Miami Heat* Under 94½ -115 for 2nd Half

YTD: 13-13, -1.60

Sunday:

10/20/2013 3:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 601 Memphis Grizzlies/Atlanta Hawks* Under 188 -110
10/20/2013 6:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 606 Minnesota Timberwolves* -4½ -110 vs Boston Celtics
10/20/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 607 Utah Jazz/Oklahoma City Thunder* Over 192 -110

YTD: 15-14, -0.70

Monday:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/50888312" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="320"></iframe>

10/21/2013 8:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 656 Chicago Bulls* -7 -110 vs Milwaukee Bucks

Adding:

10/21/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 654 Cleveland Cavaliers* -2 -105 vs Philadelphia 76ers for 1st Half
*Taking 1H just in case Mike Brown decides to sit his starters down in the 3Q like he did the other night against Indiana...

Adding:

10/21/2013 7:05 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 651 New York Knicks/Toronto Raptors* Over 95½ -110 for 2nd Half

YTD: 18-14, +2.30

Tuesday:

10/22/2013 7:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 601 Indiana Pacers* -1½ -110 vs Atlanta Hawks

Adding:

10/22/2013 7:35 PM NBA Preseason Basketball 603 Washington Wizards/Detroit Pistons* Under 91½ -115 for 2nd Half

Back