NBA MVP Discussion

westbrook should be -200 imho

if he finishes the season avg a TD and doesn't get it, the association needs to evaluate how the award is given out

The fact that Westbrook averages 2 more rebounds than Harden doesn't really mean as much as people make it out to be.

i would agree.. and the fact Harden should have won it the year Curry did...
even though Bron is the MVP every year, IMO

I think there's value on Harden as well because he's had to change his game and that's a story

Westbrook, almost feels like this is expected even if it is ridiculous

and if he does end the year avg a TD thats just insane. BUT what IF Harden ends the year avg a TD as well.
Co-MVPs?

Harden will average 28+ ppg while leading the league in assists on a 55 win win team setting real records offensively.

He's MUCH more efficient than Westbrook, who will also probably end up playing on a 46-47 win team. It'll take more drama like what he did against Utah the other night for him to get it imo. Definitely a really fun race though.

The fact that Westbrook averages 2 more rebounds than Harden doesn't really mean as much as people make it out to be.

take harden off his team... and replace him with an avg player

then do the same for westbrook

who drops further in the standings?

I know thats not how the award is given but it really should be

Per Bball ref - Harden has 11.8 win shares this season and Westbrook has 8.7. MUCH better offensively than Russ (3.6 wins), and half a win worse than Russ on defense.

I personally think that the clear answer to your question is that Harden is more important to his team than Westbrook. Name Houston's second and third best players and tell me with a straight face they were considered to be better NBA players than Oladipo and Adams 4 months ago.

BPM and VORP do side with Russ over Harden slightly -- neither side is a slam dunk, I just personally think Harden is the MVP. Completely reasonable to disagree.

Jimmy Harden based on the numbers but the 2 most important players to their teams in respect of wins and losses are Cramps and Russ.

Russ is more of a story this year, imo. I think that carries some weight in the voting too...him racking up the TD's makes his season more noteworthy. Whether thats right or wrong, it makes a difference

good arguments made for Harden, but I guess I just see Russ and his seasons story more likely to grab the trophy

Westbrook picked up his 25th game this season with 30 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Over the past 30 seasons, the last player to have at least 20 such games in a single season: Michael Jordan, in 1988-89.

Even before this thread was made, I was thinking of the 2nd half of Jordans 88-89 season and kinda how the vibe here is the same to me...somewhat.

For you youngins, take a look back at that.

Per Bball ref - Harden has 11.8 win shares this season and Westbrook has 8.7. MUCH better offensively than Russ (3.6 wins), and half a win worse than Russ on defense.

I personally think that the clear answer to your question is that Harden is more important to his team than Westbrook. Name Houston's second and third best players and tell me with a straight face they were considered to be better NBA players than Oladipo and Adams 4 months ago.

Of course Harden is going to have a higher win shares # because the Rockets have won 8 more games.

Fact is the Rockets are still in positive +/- when Harden is off the court while OKC is negative +/- when Westbrook is off the court.

Net points per 100 possessions when Harden is on the court versus off...Net + 3.4

Net points per 100 possessions when Westbrook is on the court versus off...Net +14.1

No it wasn't, Tim Duncan was easily a more qualified MVP both seasons Nash won it.

Kobe was robbed in 06.

I think it was one of the last great NBA debates over at Blankets before we started this place...it was spirited...that I remember

Even before this thread was made, I was thinking of the 2nd half of Jordans 88-89 season and kinda how the vibe here is the same to me...somewhat.

For you youngins, take a look back at that.
Ahhh the good ole days. Back when Sunday's at 3:30 were can't miss NBA gms.

Westbrook +100 currently

Bron +900
Beard -110
Thomas +500

BOL prices

BOL current lines

Westbrook -120 31.8 ppg 10.1ast 10.7 rebs 1.6 stl (TD 30 DD 47)
Beard +100 28.8 ppl 11.3 ast 8 rebs 1.49 stl (TD 15 DD 49)
Bron +900 25.9 ppg 8.9 ast 8 rebs 1.3 stls (TD 7 DD 30)
Thomas +650

Last edited:
Last night for me confirmed that Kawhi is the 'real' MVP.

Have said it since 2013, best all-round player in the league.

Dude is sick.

Jimmy Harden, meh.

Last night for me confirmed that Kawhi is the 'real' MVP.

Have said it since 2013, best all-round player in the league.

Dude is sick.

Jimmy Harden, meh.

As tensions heightened down the stretch, Leonard called off Danny Green, who was guarding Harden, on defensive switches because he wanted to match up with the Rockets guard. Green said he tried to guard Harden to give Leonard a breather, but the Spurs forward "wouldn't have it."

Harden connected on only 1 of 5 shots in the fourth quarter for four points, while Leonard hit 4 of 6 for 17 points, including 2-of-2 from long range and 7-of-7 from the free throw line.

Leonard scored 25 points in the second half and 15 of San Antonio's final 19 points in the final five minutes.

It's most like let Russ get whatever he wants. Keep the other guys out of the game and out of rhythm and at the end you'll have a chance to win. And most likely Russ will shoot himself into a loss. Such a difficult MVP decision.

He is better than LeCramps and that gets proven in their head to head matchups.

Lol no it doesn't. That is a silly way to judge. Lebron is a much better passer. Not even close. He has improved his game in an area of weakness every summer. He's shooting better from 3. From 2. Kawhi is better defensively but not enough to make up for Lebrons vision

Yeah let's not do this thing again where we forget that Lebron is the best player in the league just because he hasn't shifted into 3rd gear once during the regular season. I made that mistake last year with Steph. Kawhi and KD both spectacular players doing it on all ends right now but they're not Lebron.

Still think Harden comes away with this.

The February he had went completely overlooked in here.

26/7/10.5 on 64% from the field / 57% from 3 with 1 loss in a game he played in. Those shooting splits are tough to get on easy mode in a video game.

Yeah let's not do this thing again where we forget that Lebron is the best player in the league just because he hasn't shifted into 3rd gear once during the regular season. I made that mistake last year with Steph. Kawhi and KD both spectacular players doing it on all ends right now but they're not Lebron.

Still think Harden comes away with this.
really?

how does Russ not get this? what are the odds right now, anyone?

this is a second golden age for the NBA right now IMO....really interesting and popular and likable players that are really great

Right now Russ is at 10.03 assists per game - if he doesn't end up averaging the triple double his case goes up in smoke (whether that's right or wrong is a different debate).

His team is also on pace for only 45 wins, and their negative point differential suggests they might not even get to 45.

Kawhi the "traditional" logical guy here especially if SA gets the 1 seed, but if Harden puts up 29 per game efficiently while leading the league in assists on a 55 win team, I personally would expect him to edge out in the vote. This is a REALLY great race though, literally every night the conversation shifts.

This might be one of LeBron's finest years to be honest. If the league had this 'style' back in his prime he may have averaged the triple-double that he should have just about every year.

Harden shot 39.5% in February, although he had a career month at line for FTA's and makes. My problem with him will always be that he is one of the worst defensive players in the league.

One thing about Russ, he doesn't care about numbers as far as shooting. He is trying to win. We have seen at the end of brilliant games lately him kinda run out of steam a bit and have very bad shooting in the 4th quarters. That skews stats slightly both ways but who else is going to do it for them at this point?

As was stated above, this will be a convo that changes by the day/week till the season ends.

Yeah, please no political talk in here at all. We have enough going on in this tiny NBA community to start with that stuff.

Looking spot on brother Raems

spot on

something has to be said for team results.... Beard has help now, but this is his

Lebron should win the MVP, again. He should have won last year too.

I think Lebron is fairly overrated as most players are when they are actively still playing but the guy is an all time great too and the best player in the league, not just this season (what we are talking about) but over time.

No offense, but the other guys mentioned in this thread are not even going to make (or should not make) any serious list about greats at their respective positions, at least if their careers ended today.

That said, while I would rather have Lebron for the first 45 minutes of every game, I would rather have Westbrook or Harden for the last three minutes.

Back