NBA Game of the Year Part 3(Wed NBA)

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, so far so good on GOY'S. A perfect 2-0. Neither was totally easy but the bottom line is they each won.

This one is special though. I basically have played a 1-5 unit system all season with a couple of 6's and the two 7.5 GOY's. This line for ripe for the pickings. I have it valued 3.5 points higher than it is and expect it to rise quickly.

Detroit -3 -110 10 units

I know the first question I will receive. How can you say that Detroit should be favored by 6.5 over the Spurs? Then people wll say that Detroit was favored by the same amount against the Raptors and failed to cover.

This is a situation where you cannot compare lines. Lets look back to Christmas Day 2005. The Spurs made their annual visit to Detroit to take on the Pistons. That line was a 6 or 6.5 and everyone saw "value" in the Spurs. People were shocked that the Spurs would be getting a TD basically against Detroit. Now, Detroit was off to a great start but this was a Championship Spurs squad who was playing well themselves.A lot of people jumped on the San Antonio bandwagon that day. Not myself. I played Detroit very large. It was situational handicapping at its best. Revenge and a team away from home on a Holiday. Detroit won easily and that was that.

Now, you may ask what the situational handicapping is here? Well, the rodeo trip is coming to a close Wednesday night in Detroit. Another year with an 8 game trip for the Spurs. This also coincides with their last game before the break. Where do you think the Spurs heads will be? They are not going to fight for 48 minutes most likely if they get behind early. The team has been away from family for a long while and knows that its vacation time for all the non-all stars. The all-stars understand they have a long weekend ahead and want to conserve energy.

Lets look at the flip side of the equation. The Stons are playing the best ball in the league right now on both sides of the ball. The offense has been excellent with 84 in the lineup. The bench is much more capable than last year. The key though in my estimation is how well they play defense again. The rejuvenated offense has perked up the defense. Each side of the ball is igniting each other.

Lets look at recent play: The Spurs have gone 2-4 so far on the Rodeo trip. I will asume they have a solid shot at winning tonight at the Meadowlands with no Jason Kidd. I hope they do...that will salvage the trip somewhat. On the flipside, Detroit has been just motoring along with very little stress schedule wise. They know they can basically sweep the games this month and intend to do so or get as close as possible. Translation, spry group in Detroit vs a tired, worn out Spurs squad.

Detroit easily won both games last year. I think Detroit matches up even better now against SA. The Spurs defense is good but a bit slow for the Detroit offense. On defense the Stons have plenty of bodies for Timmay. They also have Lindsey in backcourt to frustarte Parker. Yes Bowen will limit someone but Detroit simply has too many weapons.

Recap: Short line for a healthy, rested team who is surging right now against a team that isn't going to have full minds on game in this authors opinion. This should be pretty easy

Detroit 94
San Antonio 83

Hammer it!

Pretty sure you bumped the line at Cris to 3.5. I put a few units on -3 at the Greek. Maybe add more later.

Pretty sure you bumped the line at Cris to 3.5. I put a few units on -3 at the Greek. Maybe add more later.

lol

I was shocked Alby. I had planned on playing 7.5 units at 4.5...and down a bit accordingly..I really thought with the situation we would see a 6'an_horse'

Save me a seat!

stpatrick2.gif

I'm there, bro...got the biggest bet I ever put on an NBA game on -3 at greek.

I don't understand this line at all.

GL to us!

this looks too easy, gonna hit it for 11 units just to 1 up you :cheers:

B.A.R your insight is second to none. I think if you were a used car salesman I would buy it right on the spot.Man i wish my local had this line up probably be 5 by tommorrow. gl bro solid as always:cheers:

I totally agree with you BAR. The Pistons are clicking right now and you know they will be up for this one. I am sure they still think about that game 7 loss a few years ago.

I honestly thought I was gonna click this thread and see that you were hammering the Celtics tommorrow night like I plan to...

I'm a huge Spurs fan, and a long time one now, but I can't back them at this spot that's for sure. Even though you never know with the Spurs since they do have the talent and the perseverance they are just in a funk right now and it's no wonder, tell me when was the last time we could say "the Spurs are going through a bad period"? Dating a few years back even, the Spurs have become a sports phenomenon playing classy ball even when all other teams would fold.

But those days are fading now, they need to trade older players and start focusing on the future. TD isn't getting any younger and they (namely Buford and Holt) will regret it some day if they don't start fishing for younger players to rely on.
I've watched a lot of Spurs games this season and for example the last two Florida games can tell the whole story. One being Spurs vs teams they should definitely beat, teams they would own playing at their best let alone being depleted as the Magic were. They were up by 10 at HT but allowed not only a backdoor cover but completely fell apart, missing easy layups and making inexplicable defensive plays. We all know how intelligent players Tim and Manu are. These guys are just the best if you ask me. But they're in a funk. Look at the game against Miami, mid 3rd: TIED GAME. Late 3rd, Spurs -5, mid 4th: Spurs -10.

Spurs aren't closing games any more, and that's the only thing that counts. Look at this and you'll see it's no coincidence:

@ Miami (L 85-100) (halftime: 46:45 Spurs)
@ Orlando (L 104-106) (halftime: 58:49 Spurs)
@ Washington : A full blowout (W 110:83), no 2nd half letdown pattern emerging here.
@ Phoenix (L 87-103) (halftime: 53:50 Spurs)
@ Utah (L 93-97) (halftime: 47:45 Spurs)

The reverse situation appears in the Staples match against the Lakers, where the Spurs climbed back after being down. But mostly this season the previously mentioned trend has occurred more regularly.

Trust me, I would like nothing better than to come in here to Big Al Reno's thread and say that Spurs will win. But I just don't have any aces up my sleeves even if I wanted to make them from scratch. Pistons' backcourt is the least Tony and Manu need now, plus Barry and Bowen haven't been as dependable shooters as before, even when they're left alone obviously, Oberto can't produce but is only a presence in the inside, also he seems a bit too light weight to cope with some of the league's big men. He is rather mobile but that's what Duncan is for, we need a heavier center, who can guard the paint and not be pushed out of it. Elson knocked down a few distance shots in Miami, but he's not the presence they need either. It all comes down to Tony driving to the basket or Manu trying to pull one of his wonder assists finding Tim in the inside who posts up and nails hook shots or layups. But lately, that hasn't worked.

Spurs' rodeo trip won't have a happy ending I think, I guess when Manu spoke earlier this month about the necessity of stepping up and that's either that or burst... well this time it's the latter.
I just don't see them winning tomorrow. Perhaps I'm wrong, I sincerely hope I am, but these Pistons are just too good right now and the Spurs are getting zero support from the bench. Zero real support at least. Finley and Barry are all about the jumpshot now, and that's not enough for competing at this level. Bowen is getting old, and I mean really old. He's fouling more than before and Robert Horry should really retire. Whenever I see this guy he's trash talking to the ref or complaining about something, mr clutch isn't mr clutch anymore.
Beno Udrih hasn't excelled to a player Spurs expected him to, he was supposed to average 15 PPG by now and dishing out some assists to lay the pressure off Tony for at least 15 mins per game.

All in all I have to agree with BAR and his preview. Your boys should take this one hands down and Spurs should use the All star break to regroup and try to bounce back from a rough start of 2007.
:shake:

this looks too easy, gonna hit it for 11 units just to 1 up you :cheers:

lol....do it up. I haven't made this big of an NBA bet all year...its excitring. I know its going to win. I am confident of that. Should be a good one:cheers:

B.A.R your insight is second to none. I think if you were a used car salesman I would buy it right on the spot.Man i wish my local had this line up probably be 5 by tommorrow. gl bro solid as always:cheers:

I can be very persuasive in real life dog..honestly.:smiley_acbe:

I'd personally try to avoid ever betting against the Spurs and a few other teams as a MDF play, but that's just me.

I understand the reasoning on Spurs...this situation is just so tasty all the way around. It will be up to other MDF higher ups and chairmen if they would like to at least nominate it.

I'll be on the Pistons as well if anyone didn't get it from my post. :D

Thanks BAR, GL tonight. :shake:

WAIT A SEC!!!!!

just remembered. My birthday is tomorrow, NO WAY SPURS LOSE ON my birthday.

just kidding. They can lose actually, who cares about regular season blah. :shake:

when we'll be wearing da ringz once the season is over :D. hahaa

Back