NBA Finals Discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL - THU 6/4[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Thu 6/4[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]701[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Cleveland Cavaliers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+6 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 3.210[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 203.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]06:00 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]702[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Golden State Warriors[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-6 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.403[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 203.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[h=4][/h]

Last edited:
The finals format going back to 2-2-1-1-1 last year gives the Cavs a better shot than the old 2-3-2 format imo. Couldn't see them winning 3 straight home games, but I can see them winning consecutive ones. They win the first game, it'll be anybody's finals.

Obviously if they take 1 - 0 lead in Oakland, it will be their series to lose.
I think that there are three main keys:
1) Kyrie's health. No need to explain.
2) How well will LeBron shoot three pointers and midrange. I don't know how, but Bron coming back to Cleveland, turned him back in to the same poor shooter a she was when he left Cleveland. He was decent+ in Miami, but now...
He won't have as easy life against Green as his defender and with Bogut/Ezeli in the paint as he had against the Hawks and the Celtics and probably even against the Bulls. He will have to shoot well, to make the defense get as close to him as possible.
3) Thompson and Mozgov really outplayed Atlanta bigs and Chicago bigs as well. Now they face much better team as far as rebounding and paint/rim protection goes. How will they match up with GSW big guys, can decide the outcome of the series.

Btw, if GSW win this one, it will be the only team to win a title without one former champion on their roster, since first MJ ring (according to twitter).

[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 3"][h=3]NBA Finals (Best of Seven)[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]THU 6/4[/TD]
[TD="class: contestLine, bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 2, align: center"]CLEVELAND CAVALIERS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]06:00 PM[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]791 Cleveland Cavaliers[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 3.270[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]792 Golden State Warriors[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.381[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Who honestly wants the Rockets in the Finals ? Such an inconsistent team.

Is the anniversary of the '95 Rockets epic comeback though.

Who honestly wants the Rockets in the Finals ? Such an inconsistent team.

Is the anniversary of the '95 Rockets epic comeback though.

Well, that team had the best center in NBA ever and a great wing in Clyde going for a 'ship...

They won as a 6 seed, lol...epic run...and Hakeem made Shaq his bitch in Finals...and before that the Admiral too...

I don't know how good Finals it will be.
Cleveland got the obvious advantage in coaching staff, with Blatt being the veteran, but other than that...
I'm not sure that LeBron, in his current shooting form, that is absolutely abysmal, is better than Curry.
Thompson sucks big this playoffs, so if Kyrie healthy, he and LeBron can actually be better than the Splash brothers duo.

Barnes is having amazing playoffs, but somehow, no one is talking about it. He is easily GSW's third best player, after Curry and Green. Maybe Livingston is better, but I will give Barnes the credit.
He shoots three pointers, dunks, defends - he doesn't do anything fancy, but he is playing more or less on the same level as Ariza and that's pretty good news to the Warriors I believe.

I don't know how good Finals it will be.
Cleveland got the obvious advantage in coaching staff, with Blatt being the veteran, but other than that...
I'm not sure that LeBron, in his current shooting form, that is absolutely abysmal, is better than Curry.
Thompson sucks big this playoffs, so if Kyrie healthy, he and LeBron can actually be better than the Splash brothers duo.

Barnes is having amazing playoffs, but somehow, no one is talking about it. He is easily GSW's third best player, after Curry and Green. Maybe Livingston is better, but I will give Barnes the credit.
He shoots three pointers, dunks, defends - he doesn't do anything fancy, but he is playing more or less on the same level as Ariza and that's pretty good news to the Warriors I believe.

Um, no.

It will be fun games to watch and over in about 5-6 games.

I really do wonder what Blatt got in store for the Warriors. I believe that week's rest and the fact that the first two games are in Oakland, give Cleveland great chance to surprise and find some weak spots in the Warriors offense and defense.
If I had to guess, GSW in 7...

Um, no.

It will be fun games to watch and over in about 5-6 games.

I won't go in to this argument again. That's my opinion.
How many of you guys actually watched Blatt's teams? In Euroleague, Euro Championship, Olympics?

He proven to be amazing coach in this NBA Playoffs, destroying Coach Bud, Stevens and Tibs - three of the best coaches in the league and I can write all his minuses and pluses, but I can tell you his main plus.
He maybe the best coach that I know, overall, in all leagues combined, that I have ever watched, to get a team ready on a short term mission.
He also much better coaching for the underdog than the favorite.
Look at his track record. He schooled Obradovic, maybe the best coach in the world in the last two - three decades three seasons ago, he won the series against Milano, that had budget twice as big as Maccabi and HCA, he won CSKA and Madrid, in three days span, both just four levels above Maccabi to lift the Euroleague, he won European Championship with Russia, beating Gasol brothers and Spain, with Holden hitting that winning shot.
He won bronze with Russia in Olympics, when Russia was maybe 7th best team there.
Look at what Russia did before and after Blatt, look at Treviso after Blatt (he replaced Messina there, so before they were doing well), look at Maccabi this season (with bigger budget and better players).
I'm mean, I know you don't like him, I know you think I'm biased (and I'm) - I fully aware that I give Blatt too much credit, but that's because you guys don't give him nearly as much as he should get.

He destroyed coach Stevens :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Even shorthanded the cavs roster is vastly superior to the Celtics who are in the process of stockpiling draft picks and building for the future.

I can't speak to how Stevens has done in Boston because I haven't seen them but maybe 5 times the last 2 seasons but Stevens has credentials that Blatt can't come close to matching in taking the Butler Bulldogs to back to back NCAA Finals.

He destroyed coach Stevens :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can't speak to how Stevens has done in Boston because I haven't seen them but maybe 5 times the last 2 seasons but Stevens has credentials that Blatt can't come close to matching in taking the Butler Bulldogs to back to back NCAA Finals.

I'm sorry, winning European Championship with Russia and Euroleague with Maccabi is not ten times bigger?! WTF????
Notice, not taking to NCAA Finals, actually winning the damn thing!!!

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blatt

<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12.3199996948242px; line-height: 18.4799995422363px; background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249);"><dt style="font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 0.1em;">As coach</dt></dl>
Medals[hide]
[TABLE="width: 306"]
<tbody>[TR="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]
[TH="colspan: 3"]Men's Basketball[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]
[TH="colspan: 3"]Head Coach for
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]
[TH="colspan: 3"]FIBA EuroBasket[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
16px-Gold_medal_icon_%28G_initial%29.svg.png
[/TD]
[TD]2007 Spain[/TD]
[TD]National Team[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
16px-Bronze_medal_icon_%28B_initial%29.svg.png
[/TD]
[TD]2011 Lithuania[/TD]
[TD]National Team[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]
[TH="colspan: 3"]Summer Olympic Games[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
16px-Bronze_medal_icon_%28B_initial%29.svg.png
[/TD]
[TD]2012 London[/TD]
[TD]National Team[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: adr, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]
[TH="colspan: 3"][/TH]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Question is Divol, would Blatt be where he is right now if not for LeBron.

Answer is no, Cavs would be tickling the 11 or 12 seed.

Kyrie and Love albeit All-Stars didn't know how to win until they teamed up with LeBron.

It's a pointless discussion. No one knows where Cleveland would have ended up.
I believe that with Blatt, Cleveland, in any roster, worth few more wins than Cleveland with Lue or most of the other coaches in the league.

Who would have thought before the season started, that Thunder will miss the playoffs, that Boston will finish 7th, that Knicks will finish below Sixers and etc...

As for the Warriors vs. Cavs, I like the way Harrison Barnes plays but I think you need to insert Iggy into the starting lineup just to guard Lebron. Barnes is too small to check Lebron and Lebron will muscle him down low. Even with Iggy, it's going to be a tall task. And hopefully Lebron will play the 4 sometimes that way Draymond can guard him. It's a tall task but we gotta contain Lebron. Try and force him to contested outside jumpers instead of driving to the basket.

And the Warriors gotta cut down on the fucking turnovers. They are so careless sometimes. The offense should flow but they won't be getting the wide open jumpers against Houston. It's unbelievable how good Curry is shooting and how wide open he still is. Cleveland will make it harder for him. Klay needs to get it going too. At least he won't have to guard Harden on the offense end which takes a toll. Gonna be a good series IF the Warriors get by.

Can this please be moved to NSFW? The amount of dick sucking on Blatt is making me sick.

Should be a very exciting Finals... hopefully

Zach Lowe from Grantland, talked about guarding LeBron and thought that it will be mostly Green and Barnes on LeBron.
I think that Iggy is a good answer for LeBron, but mostly, Green will have to guard him.
Butler and Carroll are better than Iggy/Barnes and LeBron murdered them going to the paint.
Green is the perfect fit I would think, especially when Cleveland plays small lineups...

I don't think it's a problem. GSW isn't Atlanta. They should do fine under the rims.

I won't go in to this argument again. That's my opinion.
How many of you guys actually watched Blatt's teams? In Euroleague, Euro Championship, Olympics?

He proven to be amazing coach in this NBA Playoffs, destroying Coach Bud, Stevens and Tibs - three of the best coaches in the league and I can write all his minuses and pluses, but I can tell you his main plus.
He maybe the best coach that I know, overall, in all leagues combined, that I have ever watched, to get a team ready on a short term mission.
He also much better coaching for the underdog than the favorite.
Look at his track record. He schooled Obradovic, maybe the best coach in the world in the last two - three decades three seasons ago, he won the series against Milano, that had budget twice as big as Maccabi and HCA, he won CSKA and Madrid, in three days span, both just four levels above Maccabi to lift the Euroleague, he won European Championship with Russia, beating Gasol brothers and Spain, with Holden hitting that winning shot.
He won bronze with Russia in Olympics, when Russia was maybe 7th best team there.
Look at what Russia did before and after Blatt, look at Treviso after Blatt (he replaced Messina there, so before they were doing well), look at Maccabi this season (with bigger budget and better players).
I'm mean, I know you don't like him, I know you think I'm biased (and I'm) - I fully aware that I give Blatt too much credit, but that's because you guys don't give him nearly as much as he should get.

The best coach you Know in all leagues combined?
Like really? Or is this a mid-type?

Think we found an avatar for you

After sleeping on it, I don't think the series will be particularly close. Cavs go back to Oakland up 3-1, close out in 5.

On a short term mission? In all leagues combined.
In the NBA there is no one near that level. Obradovic comes to mind, but other than that...
Show me a coach that won most of short term missions he faced or at least surprised.

Maybe there is college coach that I'm not aware of, since I'm not that good in college coaches.

What a busted thread
Divol licking blatts balls. Wow

I have my opinion and the last thing I wanted is to turn it to a thread about Blatt's coaching skills.
I know that USA thinks that they are alone in the world and I don't want to get in to that, yet again...

Playoffs series, World Championship, Euro, NCAA and etc...
When you need to prepare your team to few crucial matches.

Ok, fair enough seems like a crazy statement for someone who follows NBA

i think the cavs could have been coached by tip and made it to the NBA finals through the east.I'll give him a little if they win the whole thing

I have my opinion and the last thing I wanted is to turn it to a thread about Blatt's coaching skills.
I know that USA thinks that they are alone in the world and I don't want to get in to that, yet again...
Honestly, this is really no different than someone who's educated at the top universities in Europe or Asia, and then comes over to America and realizes those diplomas don't hold much currency over here. That's just the way it is, unfortunately, so not much point in losing sleep over it divol...

Yes, I could have guided these Cavs to this point. I'd play that Russian a little more.

I'll give him a little if they win the whole thing

Why a little?

Just curious. Obviously Cleveland will rise and fall on LeBron and his ability first of all, but still... If Blatt wins the title, playing without Love and given all the injuries by Shumpert, Kyrie and LeBron, you don't think he (or any other coach that would win the title that way) deserves big credit?

As I see it, the only chance Cleveland has is experience. Bron, Jones, Miller, Blatt - all been in such spots and came up on top. Kerr, Curry, Thompson - just like Bron at first and Durant and all others, maybe will need to lose NBA Finals, before learining how to win it.
Otherwise, GSW are simply much better team.

I'm sorry blatt does not have the experience. Coaching in euro finals is not the same , it just isn't .

As as for credit how much do you want for him to get?He has an all time great on his team who has been to 5 straight finals. I'd say 80% Lebron, 10% kyrie, 5% rest of players, 5% the whole coaching staff. That is where I would assign the credit if cavs win it all

It's not just Euroleague. Olympic games, Euro Championship - why winning the same Spain NT with Russia, that almost won USA NT with full of allstars roster, isn't the same thing?

As for credit, Bron was in the Finals before. Actually, he won 2 out of 5 finals only.
I would claim that playing without Kyrie and Love, made Cleveland small underdog.
I would also claim, that Bron lost Finals, where he didn't have the right supporting cast (players and coaches).
I would never give even 50% of the credit to one player on any team, no matter what.
Even the great Iverson and the Sixers reaching NBA Finals, shouldn't get 50% imo.
He had HOF for a coach and great defensive unit, that really played well together and played for him.

I would give Bron not more than 40% of the credit. No matter how great the player, he isn't bigger than a team and can never win a title all by himself. 80% LeBron, means that he has a shot to win the title, if he plays 1 on 5 or something...
Obviously Cleveland has 0% chances to win the title without him. But if we remove Kyrie, what are the chances? 1/2 of the chances before that?
Anyway, imho, coach should get 15%-25% of the credit. He is the one that guides the team. Even the fact that Blatt never responded to Bron and only praised him, he helped the team by doing so...
Kyrie, Smith, Thompson - all crucial parts of Cleveland shot at the title.
Bron 40%, coaching staff around 20%, the rest of the players at least 40% (maybe I would even give Bron less %).
I never believe that a player is bigger than a team...

Back