NBA Discussion - Week of 12/12/2016

I think if you pay a guy 30 million for a year he can do some B2B's on the road and instead of playing 35 minutes play him 25 minutes. It's a fucked up situation. Stop going to games you'll see how fast that stops. But that will never happen because this is america and no matter what you do to people they forgive you and you laugh all the way to the bank.
Jalen Rose had a good take on why they wouldn't play small minutes, and I agree with him. And the reason he said was because if they played 10-12 minutes, they'd score real low and hurt their averages. No way superstars are going to play 10 minutes and score 8-10 points and ruin their 28 point average. They'd rather take the healthy scratch. I agree with you though. Play the game.

Why is the Duncan ceremony being held at the end of the game? Says a lot about him that most of the fans stuck around.

<tbody>
[TD="class: matchupCells"][/TD]

[TD="class: matchupCells"]DETROIT is 26-11 ATS (+13.9 Units) after a division game over the last 3 seasons.[/TD]

[TD="class: matchupCells"]DETROIT is 16-5 ATS (+10.5 Units) off a upset loss as a favorite over the last 2 seasons.[/TD]

[TD="class: matchupCells"]CHICAGO is 7-17 ATS (-11.7 Units) in December games over the last 2 seasons.[/TD]

</tbody>

Jalen Rose had a good take on why they wouldn't play small minutes, and I agree with him. And the reason he said was because if they played 10-12 minutes, they'd score real low and hurt their averages. No way superstars are going to play 10 minutes and score 8-10 points and ruin their 28 point average. They'd rather take the healthy scratch. I agree with you though. Play the game.

That would be fine in most situations. When you are Cleveland preparing for GS its very lame

It does not matter. TV revenue is all teams care about. The companies that buy tickets arent going to stop because Lebron takes a couple games off a season.

I dont know why this affects gamblers at all. Don't put your wagers in until you know who's playing.

I understand the grip people have on the players not traveling with the team but the team can play or not play whoever they want imo. At least they are being up front and honest that its due to rest. They could just make up fake injuries... would that make you feel better?

Spin it any way you want it's just wrong. I understand about rest but it's done way to often.

Also Jon Leuer a gametime decision, he has arguably been the Pistons best player recently.

how is this stat line ?

82 games 37 minutes a night 20 points 6 boards 3.8 assists 1.5 steals average on 44.5% shooting

Did Michael Jordan ever "rest"?

No.

That answers all you need to know about this joke of a phenomenon. It's terrible for the fans in the stands but more importantly its a terrible PR angle that is gaining a ton of steam.

Brook Lopez is scheduled for rest tomorrow night. Ha. He's not playing tonight or the next day. Clown.

Lee Winfield’s teammates can still remember him coming to their homes in his Volkswagen van. It was the signal of the start of another trip for the Buffalo Braves in the early 1970s, back when N.B.A. players flew with the general public, washed their own uniforms and endured bone-crushing schedules.
Before the Braves hit the road, Winfield, a point guard, would traverse the city to collect teammates as he drove to the airport. The Braves often flew Allegheny Airlines, a regional carrier that the players referred to as “Agony Airlines.” They folded their large frames into coach seats, which was the only option since there was no first class.
And getting out of Buffalo was the easy part of a road trip.
“By the third game in the third night in the third city, you wouldn’t even know what the score was,” Kenny Charles, a shooting guard, said in a telephone interview.
The league has evolved, of course. The new collective bargaining agreement that was tentatively reached last week between the N.B.A. and the National Basketball Players Association calls for a reduction in the number of times that teams play games on consecutive days — the dreaded back-to-backs.
Continue reading the main story
<aside class="marginalia related-combined-coverage-marginalia marginalia-item nocontent robots-nocontent" data-marginalia-type="sprinkled" role="complementary" module="Related-CombinedMarginalia" style="width: 360px; margin-bottom: 0px; border-top: none; padding-top: 0px; flex-shrink: 0; margin-top: 75px;"><header>[h=2]RELATED COVERAGE[/h]</header>

</aside>

Most players will tell you that the back-to-backs add up to more fatigue and more risk for injury. They have also become a marketing problem for the league, because coaches sometimes bench their stars for one of the games.
Just last week the Cleveland Cavaliers left LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love at home when the team visited the Memphis Grizzlies on the second night of a back-to-back. It was a disappointment to many fans who had paid to see the Cavaliers, the defending N.B.A. champs, at full force in the team’s lone trip to Memphis.
“I love the idea of less back-to-backs,” Larry Nance Jr., a Los Angeles Lakers forward, said Friday, “because we’re on one now, and I like the idea of not being on one.”
The Lakers were in Philadelphia on Friday for the first half of a back-to-back that was part of a seven-game trip. After defeating the Sixers, the Lakers took a late-night charter flight to Cleveland for their game against the Cavaliers on Saturday. Without D’Angelo Russell, who sat out after having played well against the Sixers, the Lakers lost.
In all, the Lakers are scheduled to play 16 sets of back-to-backs this season. The load should lighten next season. Under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the start of the season will move up by about a week to build more off days into the schedule and reduce the number of back-to-backs — though by how many is unclear.
<figure id="media-100000004829731" class="media photo embedded layout-large-horizontal media-100000004829731 ratio-tall" data-media-action="modal" itemprop="associatedMedia" itemscope="" itemid="https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/12/19/sports/1pBACKTOBACK1/1pBACKTOBACK1-master675.jpg" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" aria-label="media" role="group" style="display: flex; margin: 45px 0px; position: relative; flex-direction: column; clear: both; max-width: none; width: 600px;">Photo
1pBACKTOBACK1-master675.jpg

<figcaption class="caption" itemprop="caption description" style="font-size: 0.8125rem; line-height: 1.0625rem; font-family: nyt-cheltenham-sh, georgia, &quot;times new roman&quot;, times, serif; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); max-width: 100%; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;">“Once the game starts, you just start playing,” said Phil Chenier, at left, playing for the Baltimore Bullets in 1972. CreditJohn Rooney/Associated Press</figcaption></figure>“It’s tough because we have a young team,” Luke Walton, the Lakers’s head coach, said. “You have 19-year-olds who aren’t used to this. The mental preparation that it takes and the mental strength that it takes to fight through that fatigue is challenging.”
That said, the concern over back-to-backs is a source of amusement for former players like Dan Issel, whose 15-year career featured countless sets of back-to-backs, more than 50 back-to-back-to-backs and about a dozen back-to-back-to-back-to-backs.
In an email, Issel said he had no specific recollection of any of them, not even the time he scored 37 points for the Kentucky Colonels of the A.B.A. in his fourth game in as many days in 1970. (N.B.A. players of that era were no strangers to four straight games, either.)
To Issel, those stretches never seemed remarkable. He would have gladly played in even more of them, he said, had his teams “flown charter with sleeper seats and great meals, and stayed in five-star hotels,” a reference to some of the amenities available to today’s players.
Charles Grantham, who joined the players’ union as a consultant when the N.B.A. merged with the A.B.A. in 1976, said easing the schedule was not a priority at the negotiating table — not for the players, who were pushing for guaranteed contracts and improved transportation, and not for the league, which had financial troubles.
“The business was to get the product out there and to play as often as you could,” said Grantham, who was the union’s executive director from 1988 to 1995. “I think owners looked at their teams like owning a candy store: They wanted it open all the time.”
The A.B.A. merger, along with expansion, resulted in more games for the league and reduced the financial imperative to stretch teams so thin. Plus, it was becoming obvious that tired players produced lower-quality basketball, a detriment to a league that was trying to expand its audience.
“All of us sat there and recognized that in order for this product to move forward, it’s got to be set for television,” Grantham said. “And the players need some fresh legs.”
Still, change did not come swiftly. The players themselves saw virtue in plying their trade without much time off, similar to how baseball players of that era were oblivious to pitch counts. George Gervin, a scoring wizard for the San Antonio Spurs through much of the 1970s and early ’80s, said he could not fathom skipping games to keep his body fresh.
“Rest? It’s your job, man!” Gervin said in a telephone interview. “We got all these people crying now about playing back-to-backs. I respect the job that these guys are doing. But yesterday, it was a little bit more difficult.”
<figure id="media-100000004829732" class="media photo embedded layout-large-vertical media-100000004829732" data-media-action="modal" itemprop="associatedMedia" itemscope="" itemid="https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/12/19/sports/1pBACKTOBACK2/1pBACKTOBACK2-blog427.jpg" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" aria-label="media" role="group" style="display: flex; margin: 45px 60px; position: relative; flex-direction: row; clear: both; max-width: none; align-items: flex-end; width: 540px;">Photo
1pBACKTOBACK2-blog427.jpg

<figcaption class="caption" itemprop="caption description" style="font-size: 0.8125rem; line-height: 1.0625rem; font-family: nyt-cheltenham-sh, georgia, &quot;times new roman&quot;, times, serif; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); max-width: 100%; margin-left: 15px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 30px;">George Gervin of the San Antonio Spurs with a rebound in 1980. “We got all these people crying now,” Gervin said. CreditAssociated Press</figcaption></figure>His point of view has the familiar tone of generational grumbling: When I was your age… But Gervin has always considered himself a basketball purist.
“I hated the preseason because the coach would be like, ‘Hey, you’re only going to play half the game,’” he said. “I was like, ‘What? What kind of crap is that? I worked all summer and you got me trained, and you want me to play half the game?’ Come on, man.”
Phil Chenier, a three-time N.B.A. All-Star who retired in 1981, recalled nights when he could feel the physical toll of his profession. The schedule was more fearsome than any single opponent. But sometimes he made it look effortless. Over a three-day stretch with the Washington Bullets in March 1977, Chenier scored 21 points in a narrow road loss to the Atlanta Hawks before returning home to score 30 and 38, respectively, in wins against the New Orleans Jazz and the Phoenix Suns.
“Once the game starts, you just start playing,” Chenier said. “That’s all you know.”
He does remember one hazard: the uniforms. Most teams had only one set of road uniforms, and the players were generally responsible for their care. Some were more fastidious than others. Chenier recalled using shampoo to launder his jersey and shorts in hotel bathtubs. Planning ahead was important, he said, otherwise he would end up with a soggy uniform for the next game.
Also, he discovered that certain shampoos brought a side effect.
“You’d put your uniform on and you’d feel like you have this rash,” Chenier said. “Of course, some guys didn’t wash their uniforms at all — and you could tell.”
The laundry complications, Charles said, could signal that an opposing team was on a rough trip. He knew when he caught a whiff of his defender.
“And you’d be like, ‘Oh, you guys played last night,’” he said.
By the early 1980s, the league had largely scrubbed back-to-back-to-backs from the schedule. They made a brief return during the 2011-12 season, when the league scrambled to cram games into a reduced scheduled after a labor stoppage.
The Lakers, for example, opened that season by playing three games in three days, losing twice. Metta World Peace, a forward who is still playing for the team at 37, reflected on that experience — “It was bad,” he said — and assessed back-to-backs as difficult enough, especially at his age.
“They kill me,” he said.
When he was younger, he said, he did not take them seriously. After a late-night flight, he would often try to squeeze in a trip to a nightclub between games.
“And play like garbage,” World Peace said. “When I got older and actually wanted to win, I would drink a lot of water, eat a lot of veggies, go to bed once you got into the city — no sex, nothing like that. Because all that stuff adds up.”
World Peace said he thought that the quality of play would improve with fewer back-to-backs. But he does not want to see them eliminated. “They build so much character,” he said, sounding like a true throwback.

Fitting justice would be for one of these teams to miss the playoffs because they essentially 'gave' away a game or two in December or January to 'rest' guys. Or for the Cavs to miss out on the #1 seed in the East because they 'gave' away that game in Memphis.

The only guys I'll give a pass to are Embiid because of his health issues and Lebron because of the sheer number of games he's played this decade. Otherwise, the rest of them need to sack up and do what they get paid to do.

how is this stat line ?

82 games 37 minutes a night 20 points 6 boards 3.8 assists 1.5 steals average on 44.5% shooting

Did Michael Jordan ever "rest"?

No.

That answers all you need to know about this joke of a phenomenon. It's terrible for the fans in the stands but more importantly its a terrible PR angle that is gaining a ton of steam.

That stat line is Jordan's from his last season during which he turned 40...played every game.

Fairly strong opinion. You guys are are confusing time periods. Jordan, Malone belong to the era of basketball.
We operate in the video game NBA era. Insanity is the norm and the physical demands of playing at warp speed are simply destroying the players. Rest is imperative.

The only argument you could make is that these players have 150+ additional games on their bodies vs. those 20+ year ago because of the wear and tear of the NBA season when they were 19, 20, and 21.

No way do I believe today's NBA in any way more physically demanding than the NBA of 20 years ago.

The really interesting thing is the inability of people to see the total insanity of the league now or the constant physical breakdowns

Fitting justice would be for one of these teams to miss the playoffs because they essentially 'gave' away a game or two in December or January to 'rest' guys. Or for the Cavs to miss out on the #1 seed in the East because they 'gave' away that game in Memphis.

The only guys I'll give a pass to are Embiid because of his health issues and Lebron because of the sheer number of games he's played this decade. Otherwise, the rest of them need to sack up and do what they get paid to do.

totally agree

Small bets made last night on under in GS at 232 and Nets plus 15. Great day of Week for GS. Both bets seemed logical but GS may opt out for the over here

The only argument you could make is that these players have 150+ additional games on their bodies vs. those 20+ year ago because of the wear and tear of the NBA season when they were 19, 20, and 21.

No way do I believe today's NBA in any way more physically demanding than the NBA of 20 years ago.

The NBA of 20 years ago was a fucking war....go back and watch some of the celtic/laker matchups....they beat the living crap out of each other and you never saw Larry or Majic taking a night off....Larry considered it his job to show up for the fans every night and he was outspoken about it

The NBA of 20 years ago was a fucking war....go back and watch some of the celtic/laker matchups....they beat the living crap out of each other and you never saw Larry or Majic taking a night off....Larry considered it his job to show up for the fans every night and he was outspoken about it

The pussifyication of America :shake2:

NBA players are basically all CEO level types now.. its just a different time.

Fairly strong opinion. You guys are are confusing time periods. Jordan, Malone belong to the era of basketball.
We operate in the video game NBA era. Insanity is the norm and the physical demands of playing at warp speed are simply destroying the players. Rest is imperative.

respectively disagree.....back in the 60's the celtics took 110 shots per game,they truly played at warp speed,and they never took a night off

respectively disagree.....back in the 60's the celtics took 110 shots per game,they truly played at warp speed,and they never took a night off

That could be true but the Culture they operated in was probably not insane. Concerning the bet on the Nets I am now considering making it 3 units. Anything can happen but this looks close to 80%

A lot of people saying that shit ohh back then this and that it's all about heart u can't teach heart man just asked Allen Iverson

In general, I'm in agreement with the appreciation of the old school. Most of these guys rest too much, especially the younger players with whatever, a sore ankle or something.

In Lebron's defense, guy's probably played more minutes of basketball than anyone in world history already and counting, or close to it. Considering the early start on an NBA career, all the international play, all the deep runs in the playoffs, the expansion of the playoffs in his era. I don't consider it lazy or selfish when he sits. Calculating. He knows his body, and I'm sure he and the Cavs and the league would like to extend his career.

Bird's pretty much my all time favorite player, and we all admired his mettle and willingness to play in obvious pain. But he and the Celtics probably cost him a portion of a career every time he took the floor hurt. He was a shell at the end. Might have been different if he knew when to take a seat.

Also, I think the Cavs want to monitor/limit Lebron's minutes this season, Lue has said as much. But when he plays, he's playing a ton. So he's going to miss some entire games.

Pop's been doing this forever, right, with positive results? Not sure why this story has such wings.

Not a surprise that players are rested when GS has 2 real revenge games going in the next 3 days but it might hurt the under. Add Clippers over as a 24 point ass whipping at home may leave the Spurs a little upset and a bet on Minn in nhl at Montreal that is pure situational betting

Imagine the Bad Boys trying to exist in today's NBA environment. It's not just the NBA though - picture someone like Bob Gibson trying to pitch in today's era where guys charge the mound if a pitch is even a few inches off the plate. Conversely, seems like there's a growing lack of rest for opponents in the NFL and NHL, because you never you used to see some of the cheap shots you do today.

As for the one thing about the modern NBA that just makes me furious every time I see it: guys slapping hands with teammates after every free throw, whether it's made or missed. If you missed a FT on Jordan's Bulls teams, he wasn't slapping your hand - he was in your face telling you to make the damn FT.

Bad Boys is a great reference that speaks to the difference between then and now. The teams in the east then, Bulls, Pistons, Celtics, Cavs, Knicks, probably forgetting a few, talking late '80's ...they didn't want to take a game off against a challenger. Would be interesting to see how Lebron would manage his schedule if the East was good. Don't think the Cavs care much about home court advanage in the playoffs, kind of unusual.

It's not the rest as much as the fact these dudes are coddled like Teacup Pomeranians yet still need to ice the clitoris on the regular.

Back in the day dudes caught the bus, carried their own bags and slept in 3 star hotels yet still played every night they were called upon.

At least players nowadays are having kids before marriage, just like in the good ole days....

see... some things havent changed

Draymond Green F Sidelined Dec 22 wife having baby Out Thursday

LOL that's from rotoworld. He's having a kid, but he's not marrried.

18 points the final 36 seconds of regulation in Indiana to push the total over. Where amazing happens...

Wasn't able to post but I have said it in the past. Anytime the nets are up at halftime at home, fade them in the third quarter. Such a shitty 3rd q team

Back