NBA Discussion: Week of 1/16/17

Thinking about it, tracking down a 9.5 or grabbing something before mid-3rd.

Only tied due to turnovers.

Is a strong 2nd half line but so was the full-game spread.

The Crossover
@TheCrossover

No one is safe in Golden State
<article class="MediaCard customisable-border" data-scribe="component:card" dir="ltr">

</article>​
<a href="https://twitter.com/TheCrossover/status/821941712008388608" class="timeline-Tweet-timestamp" data-scribe="element:mini_timestamp" style="background-color: transparent; color: rgb(102, 117, 128); text-decoration: none; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px;"><time class="dt-updated" datetime="2017-01-19T04:45:49+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 19 Jan 2017, 04:45:49 (UTC)" aria-label="Posted 14 minutes ago">14<abbr title="minutes" style="border-bottom: 0px;">m</abbr></time>

LOL. Man NBA guys are big powerful dudes. I hate when they do stuff like that. They were fouls, don't get me wrong, but not KO punches lol.

Clippers on Friday look really good. No CP3 no problem. The clippers have enough depth to deal with the twolves

Clippers on Friday look really good. No CP3 no problem. The clippers have enough depth to deal with the twolves
I think you mean tomorrow, Thursday against Minny. And yeah, they do have the depth. Felton is playing surprisingly good. Crawford and Rivers can handle the point too.

Spurs off an ugly showing the other night, rested at home against the worst (literally) defense in the league. Nuggets also won their last few games keeping the line down a little bit, grabbed the open at -10.5 for a unit and took first half -7.5 for a half unit this morning. Should be a standard businesslike Spurs win imo, 20+.

Don't know if I'm playing it yet, but the Suns look tempting. I get the whole bounce back from a blowout angle, but why in the world would Cleveland give a shit against Phoenix, who they just beat on this road trip? Seems like a typical 42 minutes of cruise control / go on a 20-10 run to win by 8ish game from a Lebron team. Type of game we see 15 times every year.

Spurs 1-7 ATS last 8 home games before a road trip of 4 or more games.

Nuggets offense is cooking.

Hit Cleveland over. Suns still 7-0 over on 2. Suns very healthy and I think very reasonable but willing to let it go up before getting on

I think Korver goes off tonight

at first I thought the same as raems.... why should the cavs care about this game?

I just think think the korver acquisition, their struggles on the RT and love being out heightens their sense of urgency... no way i can back the suns

Gimme a fucking break that Russ isn't starting in the AS game. Steps is great, but Russ deserves it more than anyone in the league. Not THAT big of a deal as it's not like he's not going to be on the team but still. I guess the silver lining is he's gonna perceive it as the snub that it is and just go the fuck off from the minute he checks in.

Yeah can't argue with that. Russ should be starting over Curry. That's the flaw of letting fans pick. Over the years we've seen guys get the start without playing a game while injured. That's crazy.

Portland another road favorite on the road. Philly playing great lately, 6-2 in January. Would like to hit Philly but Port gotta be saying we can't lose to this team. A lot of time left but Port only a half game out of the 8 seed. Every game counts. Either way lean Philly though. Can't trust the Blazers on the road.

Yeah can't argue with that. Russ should be starting over Curry. That's the flaw of letting fans pick. Over the years we've seen guys get the start without playing a game while injured. That's crazy.

The voting was changed this year to include players and media members having a say, so it's not fully on the fans anymore.

At least, that's how the concept was supposed to work...so Russ was 1st on both the player and media ballots but 3rd in the fan voting. It was a 3 way tie between Russ, Harden, and Curry...and the fan vote was the tiebreaker. So the fans ended up with the decision alone, opposite of the reasoning for the new system...hahahahaha.

I get it's an AS game, but the guy who is first among his peers and those covering the game should be starting in the game regardless of how fanboys see things.

The voting was changed this year to include players and media members having a say, so it's not fully on the fans anymore.

At least, that's how the concept was supposed to work...so Russ was 1st on both the player and media ballots but 3rd in the fan voting. It was a 3 way tie between Russ, Harden, and Curry...and the fan vote was the tiebreaker. So the fans ended up with the decision alone, opposite of the reasoning for the new system...hahahahaha.

I get it's an AS game, but the guy who is first among his peers and those covering the game should be starting in the game regardless of how fanboys see things.

But players couldn't care less. Beasley and Delli got 6 votes each... Liggins got votes, Luke Babbitt got votes...
Hernandez, Garett and many others...

But players couldn't care less. Beasley and Delli got 6 votes each... Liggins got votes, Luke Babbitt got votes...
Hernandez, Garett and many others...

But fans are dumb. Millions of votes were cast for players you're mentioning as well as other players who don't deserve it. That wasn't the point of anything I said to begin with.

The only point was they changed the voting so the fans wouldn't have the only say and we'd see guys starting who don't deserve it...and for the G position in the West that's exactly what happened. Just seemed funny, ironic, idiotic, etc, etc.

Says a lot about him not getting the MVP either. The league MVP is always a starter in the All Star Game.

Looks like it's Jimmy Harden's to lose.

The biggest snub, imo is Love not starting for the East. Dude the only 20-10 big man in the conference.

Preview from my Portland blog
<cite></cite> [h=3]Portland Trail Blazers (18-26) at Philadelphia 76ers (14-26)[/h] Jan. 20, 2017, 4:00 PST
Watch: CSN NW; Listen: Rip City Radio 620 AM
Blazers injuries: Ed Davis (Update: Upgraded to probable), Festus Ezeli (out)
76ers injuries: Jerryd Bayless (out), Jahlil Okafor (questionable), Ben Simmons (out)
SBN Affiliate: Liberty Ballers
After another blowout loss, this time at the hands of the Charlotte Hornets, the Portland Trail Blazers continue their East Coast road trip against the surging Philadelphia 76ers.
Yes, you read that right - surging. After a 7-24 start to the season, the 76ers have rattled off seven wins in their last nine games, including victories over Charlotte, Milwaukie, and Toronto in the last week.
Everything Philadelphia does revolves around rookie center Joel Embiid who, after two years waiting to make his NBA debut, has been a revelation. Despite playing with a minutes restriction to protect against further injury to his foot, Embiid is running away with the NBA Rookie of the Year race and helping to revolutionize the center position while doing so.

Embiid is putting up 20 points, eight rebounds, two assists, and nearly two-and-a-half blocks per game despite averaging only 25 minutes a night. He shoot 35 percent from the 3-point line and, on the defensive end, boasts a stellar 98.8 DRtg.
The 76ers have put various lineups around Embiid, but lately they’ve been running T.J. McConnell and Nik Stauskas in the backcourt - after spending much of the season with former Blazers Sergio Rodriguez and Gerald Henderson as the starting guards. McConnell has struggled from the floor this season, but does boast a 3:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Stauskas is a fine spot-up shooter, averaging nearly 37 percent from the arc en route to just under nine points per game.
Power forward Ersan Ilyasova, traded from the Oklahoma City Thunder for Jerami Grant at the beginning of the season, has blossomed as a stretch four in Philadelphia - averaging 15 points and six rebounds, with 37 percent shooting from the the 3-point line. Small forward Robert Covington, the only current starter to have started every 76ers game this season, is a decent defender and rebounder who is struggling mightily from the field, despite taking nearly six 3-pointers a night. On the season, Covington is shooting 36 percent from the floor, and less than 30 percent from the arc.

Off the bench, coach Brett Brown has alternated Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel at center/power forward. Both have had alternating periods of earning DNP-CDs, with Okafor only appearing in three games during Philadelphia’s nine-game hot streak, despite averaging 11 points and five rebounds on the year. Noel has had a turbulent season, missing time due to injury and then being benched while trade rumors swirled. Over the last 10 games, Noel has only sat one time and has contributed nine points, five rebounds, a steal, and a block per game.
In addition to Rodriguez, Henderson, and the aforementioned big man tandem, rookie combo forward Dario Saric also comes off the bench to put up nearly 10 points a night in 24 minutes.
It’s amazing to realize that the Blazers have equaled the 76ers in the loss column at this point in the season. These are teams going in opposite directions at the moment and, while Philadelphia can’t quite be considered a good team yet, they are learning how to win and seem to be having fun doing it - Noel and Okafor possibly excluded. Though it’s not relevant to tonight’s matchup, it’s fun to imagine what this team will look like when Ben Simmons joins them after the All-Star Break.
Portland, again, needs to avoid coming out flat-footed and not let Philadelphia’s supporting cast beat them. Embiid is going to be a very difficult matchup for Mason Plumlee, but if they can hold down the likes of Ilyasova and not let someone like Covington get some confidence, they stand a chance.

No idea what got into the nets last night. I'll attribute it to the Pelicans defense....

tonight should be a different story... hornets are beginning to roll now.

Philly is hot. But without Embiid, they are a completely different team. For such a young team, it'll be interesting to see how they handle winning after losing for so long.. last nights win was something else. Definitely a let down tonight.

Back