Nationals vs Cardinals and Royals vs Athletics Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Picks & Baseball Predictions: Best Bets Of The Day

Cardinals vs Nationals

Tuesday, September 17 2019 at Busch Stadium

St. Louis’ Miles Mikolas (9-13, 4.28 ERA) has been reliably bad at home lately where he’s yielded an ERA of 4.50 or higher in each of his last three starts.

Bettors should likewise be wary of Mikolas because the Cards are yielding -5 units in his night starts, whereas he’s a profitable pitcher during the day.

Overall, Mikolas has taken a sizable step back this year. His ERA is up from 2.83 to 4.28 and his FIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding) is up .95 points. He’s allowing close to double the amount of homers per nine innings while opponents make more frequent hard contact with his pitches.

A specific key to Mikolas’ regression has been his slider as it’s yielding a .281 BA last year whereas this was a solid pitch for him last year when it yielded a .184 BA. He’s horrible about making mistakes in location with it. This pitch is typically supposed to hit the lowest parts of the zone. But he leaves his slider with over six percent frequency over the heart of the plate.

National batters have built a solid history against Mikolas. In 69 career at-bats against him, their collective BA is .391 and slugging rate .507. Eight different National batters hit at least .333 and slug at least .500 against him. Howie Kendrick, for example, is 6-for-8 (.750).

Washington’s Patrick Corbin (12-7, 3.20 ERA) has been consistently clutch against fellow NL playoff contenders, lately yielding an ERA or 3.00 or better against the likes of Atlanta, Milwaukee, and the New York Mets.

Corbin differs from Mikolas in that he employs a super effective slider. It’s his favorite pitch in terms of its frequency in usage and his success with it. Six of his last seven opponents failed to hit better than .187 against this pitch.

His slider has sweeping movement with some bite and he nails the lowest-left corner of the zone with it 41 percent of the time while staying away from the more middle parts of the plate.

In terms of Cardinal hitters, expect little from Marcell Ozuna, who’s 4-for-19 (.211) in his career against Corbin.

Best Bet: Nationals ML at -105 odds with 5Dimes

Royals vs Athletics

Tuesday, September 17 2019 at Coliseum

Kansas City’s Jorge Lopez (4-7, 6.09 ERA) may seem like he’s in good form. But he’s benefitted from facing most recently an array of weak lineups and losing opponents like the White Sox, Marlins, and Orioles.

In terms of winning teams, he’s most lately faced Oakland, which slammed him for five runs in less than two innings, and a Minnesota team that knocked in two runs in 3.1 innings against him.

Lopez does not possess the stuff with which to measure up against stronger lineups. His biggest problem is command, which is evident in his favorite pitches.

His two most frequent pitches are the fastball and curveball. Regarding the former, its ball rate is 14 percent higher than its strike rate. When he does throw it for a strike, it often lands in the more middle parts of the plate. This mixture of high ball rate and down-the-middle location encourages batters to be more selective at the plate.

Regarding his curveball, ti shares his fastball’s below-average spin rate, which makes it less deceptive, and his fastball’s frequent location down the middle. It also doesn’t enjoy much movement, which entails that batters have an easier time tracking it.

Active Oakland batters have accumulated 16 career at-bats against Lopez and they have eight hits while slugging 1.188. Marcus Semien has hit a homer off him.

Unlike Lopez, Oakland’s Brett Anderson (12-9, 4.07 ERA) has been well battle-tested, recently clashing twice with the likes of Houston as well as with the Yankees, Cubs and Brewers. He’ll face a much softer test in a Kansas City lineup that ranks 27th in runs per game.

Anderon’s general tactic is to induce ground balls, which he does 54.6 percent of the time. One way in which he pursues this tactic is by keeping pitches low at the batter’s knees. His three most frequent pitch locations are in the bottom row of the strike zone.

His favorite pitch is the sinker, which induces grounders with its strong lateral movement and sidespin that encourages batters to swing on top of it.

Barely any Royal batters have seen him. But he matches up well with them because they rank below-average in BA against the sinker from lefties.

Stated broadly, expect an angry Athletic team that is making a push towards the playoffs but lost a ninth-inning lead last night. The A’s will buckle down and take the Royals more seriously. They’ve won three in a row after a loss and have scored a combined total of 22 runs after their last two losses.

Best Bet: Athletics RL at -140 odds with 5Dimes

I thought books were totally ass backwoods having nats as sizable favs yesterday and basically a pk tonight.

I havnt looked at mikolas numbers lately but feel besides the things you mentioned he also been walking considerably more ppl this year which a real problem since he aint a strike out pitcher.

I’m with you, price def right to play nats here but think I’m gonna look more at the first 5 innings cause we do have considerable edge in the pen.

Fukkin Nats just blew a golden chance to blow game open. 1st and 3rd no outs and they can’t get 1 run. Top 3 in order too.. fuck fuck fuck.

Now gotta have Corbin give us a clean bottom 5th vs top of lineup.

1st 5 cashes baby!!! Books were sharmin soft slipping this series!!

Was hoping they would come w a 8 total 2narro to bang ff under, but no such luck, that prob gonna be a 3.5 or juiced to shit u4.

Gotta have to do a little cappin on that one still but Nats pretty steep and waino been nails at home. Gotta check out his and mad max day splits and ump.

1st 5 cashes baby!!! Books were sharmin soft slipping this series!!

Was hoping they would come w a 8 total 2narro to bang ff under, but no such luck, that prob gonna be a 3.5 or juiced to shit u4.

Gotta have to do a little cappin on that one still but Nats pretty steep and waino been nails at home. Gotta check out his and mad max day splits and ump.

Phew Cubs lost

Waino has microscopic numbers at home/during day/ 2 starts w this ump. Of course max is max and been nasty when he comes back home to stl and during the day as well, not quite the numbers w ump as waino. We got the pen edge but not thrilled Shildt used Gallegos for 4 outs tonight in game we were trailing.,

if I can get even a juiced u4 for the 1st 5 2marro I’ll be on it. Worried it be 3.5 tho and I hardly ever touch that number FF. Maybe under 7.5 game if I can’t get a 4? Def gonna play cards at +155 or better smallish but think worth a play.

Just like stras ozuna has good numbers vs max (5 doubles 2 bombs in 32 abs w a .302 avg), he could be the difference again along w waino who I expect will be great facing off vs mad max.

Interesting that Thor has never pitched at coors before. Havnt checked ump yet but was wondering your thoughts on whether the air would bother him like it does some or will his power be fine?? He hasn’t been all that sharp anyways. W agreeable ump trying to talk myself into the daytime over at coors, lol.

Interesting that Thor has never pitched at coors before. Havnt checked ump yet but was wondering your thoughts on whether the air would bother him like it does some or will his power be fine?? He hasn’t been all that sharp anyways. W agreeable ump trying to talk myself into the daytime over at coors, lol.

Nevermind. Kerwin danley behind the plate!! Now trying to talk myself into under!! Lol., so what you think bout Thor 1st time at coors?? Lol

Hoping you felt like talking bases but If not screw ya!! Lol.,

Today was 1st full card I’ve played all month, baseball so much work I get burnt and need break but now I’m kinda back into it seems. Lol

I ended up taking a nap lol. Indians RL been automatic against Detroit what do you think of that

Nevermind. Kerwin danley behind the plate!! Now trying to talk myself into under!! Lol., so what you think bout Thor 1st time at coors?? Lol

Thor doesn't rely on a curveball, but he lost his last start vs LAD cuz he hung a slider to Lux. Matz was going really well and then fell apart one inning with a walk to Butera and then gave up Senzatela's first hit of the year, so I wouldn't let his failure correlate to Thor struggling too

...also not a fan of Waino as he is all smoke and mirrors and he'll have a tough one today. Max isn't himself just yet, i like over if anything

Thor doesn't rely on a curveball, but he lost his last start vs LAD cuz he hung a slider to Lux. Matz was going really well and then fell apart one inning with a walk to Butera and then gave up Senzatela's first hit of the year, so I wouldn't let his failure correlate to Thor struggling too

...also not a fan of Waino as he is all smoke and mirrors and he'll have a tough one today. Max isn't himself just yet, i like over if anything

Waino's splits are very impressive home/day though.

1st 5 under cake. Waino was perfect.

Edman nice arm

I was so pissed when I saw lineup, not cause edman was playing but because he wasn’t at 3rd. He has made couple excellent plays in right tho!! Of course had Carp not let one roll under his legs we wouldn’t have needed the throw. I was afraid that error was gonna unravel us. Little tommy won this game if we hold on!!

We needed this game today, I had no doubt waino would do his thing!!

Sad as it is the schedule sets up so gravy for milw, it looks to me unless they implode they are in might even win div while cubs/cards battling for 1 spot (unless nats fall apart, didn’t check their schedule).

I have little doubt milw will prob sweep pirates while us and cubs going at it. Very well could be 3 way tie after Sunday., Gotta hope reds can take 2 of 3 from milw next week in cincy (they will have grey and Castillo going!). Then hope Rockies still have some fight in them when milw at coors while cubs here in stl.

Way I see it all we gotta do be tied w cubs when they come here next weekend!!

Obviously you want flaherty 1 Hudson 2,, I would just make sure waino starts at home. The thought of mikolas anywhere vs all the playoff team lineups scares me. Lol

Shocking, goldy and ozuna fail once again. LFG waino! One more strong inning baby! It on you, just be happy we gave you 2 runs!! lol

Fuck fuxk fuxk. How did I know failing to put them away would bite us in the ass. He hung that curve. Time to get him out of here.

Ok now they gonna take him out. Really wish we didnt waste Gallegos yesterdsy!

I know. 4 outs in a game we were losing? Stupid., just gotta get past rendon to start inning. Almost wish they use Carlos in 8th cause should be bottom of order in 9th long as 8th inning guy does his job!!!

Back