My Team by Team breakdown

YesSir

Brian Windhorst
smiley.php
What is up everyone? I do this every year but usually dont post pre- season things(save it for my writeups). I do not get crazy and writeup every team in every conference. What I do is look for teams that I think I can take advantage of this year(Utah State, CAL, Rutgers last year). These teams are teams that seem to be flying under the radar or over-hyped. One team that seems to be flying under the radar this Summer is Arizona. I will have many different teams....if there is a team you are interested in, I can get you some info.

THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS OR BOLD THOUGHTS...DISAGREE AND POST THOUGHTS IF YOU WANT

wavetowel2.gif
God Bless Football
wavetowel2.gif

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

ARIZONA:

Last Season
When I look at teams at the beginning of the season, I want to see how they ended the season before. Arizona should come into this season with a big chip on their shoulder. They got screwed out of a bowl game last year IMO. They had to be a top 64 team last year didn’t they? They beat CAL when CAL was ranked in the top 10 and they also knocked off a strong BYU team. They have not made a bowl since the 98 season.

OFFENSE
The QB spot was pretty putrid last season, so I will get to that later. This offense returns 9 starters….

At RB the Cats lose their leading rusher, Chris Henry (he declared for the draft as a junior). Most people seem to think that this will be a big loss for the Zona. I tend to disagree for a couple of reasons: Chris Jennings and Xavier Smith. Smith will only be a Sophomore but looked good last year. In limited time he averaged 5+ per carry.

At WR the Cats return maybe the best tandem in the PAC. Yes they lost Steptoe but they return 2 seasoned receivers (Thomas and Johnson) and their number 1 TE.

OL: Well this line was one of the shittiest lines in America last year. They return everyone or 4 out of 5(cant remember). They started 3 freshies last year and promise to be better this year….we will see

QB In ASU only threw for nine TD all of last season! Part of it was the young, bad OL, the other part was the QB situation. Willie Tuitama will once again be under center. He missed a couple of games last year from injury. I believe that this kid will do a decent job for this new spread offense. A big addition to the coaching staff is Sonny Dykes. He is known for his days at Texas Tech. Many Zona faithful believe that he can help this offense.

KICKER They lose a 3 year starter at kicker and this can really hurt them. No one is really sure who will get the nod and how he will do. This could be something to watch with some close spreads.

DEFENSE
This defense will once again be the bread and butter of this team! They have a chance to be a top defense in the nation IMO They return 10 starters…

DL is loaded with 3 seniors returning. Louis Holmes, an ALL PAC performer, anchors one of the end spots next year. This line is loaded with size and depth.

Lbs: Spencer Larson is the top guy at LB for this unit. He is a 4 year starter and will be the captain of the defense. The other guys are solid and have a RS freshman that should see some action.

Dbs Antoin Carter is the main man in this very talented secondary. He has NFL scouts drooling. He is a top 3 corner in the nation IMO…

CONCLUSION:
This team has a chance to be the Rutgers of this year. If their offense clicks at all, they will be a tough team to beat. They have to play at CAL, USC, BYU and Washington.

Prediction (9-3) possible 10 win season IMO

What to bet

hammer ATS

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

New Mexico State:

Hal Mumme will begin his 3<SUP>rd</SUP> season as head coach of the Aggies. The program has improved vastly, since he has taken over. His first year they won 0 games, last year they improved to 4 wins. This year they will try and make it to the middle of the WAC. If I am not mistaken, NMS used to be an option team. Since Mumme took over, he has turned them into a passing attacking offense.

OFFENSE

This offense should once again have no problem moving the ball up and down the field. Is it their offense or does this speak volumes about the defense in the WAC? Not really sure but they will score lots of points. They return 9 starters, including junior QB Chase Holbrook. Holbrook was second in the nation in total offense a season ago (nearly 380 yards per). Another off season should pay dividends for him.

Junior Jeremiah Williams will start at RB once again. I will not talk much about him, since his ability to receive is more important than his ability to run (in this passer’s offense).

Yet another junior will once again be their main threat at WR. Chris Williams is the main target, as he returns after a stellar sophomore year. Last year he led the nation in receptions per game and receiving yards per game. Opposite of him is another junior that had a big sophomore season a year ago (close to 800 yards).

The OL is where things get interesting. Many of these lineman got recruited into the option scheme. Supposedly they have some younger guys that will help but that remains to be seen.

Their kicker that was 3-8 on FG s left the program so they have no one with D1 experience on their roster.

DEFENSE

Well this defense has the ability to give up many points/yards. Couple that with the fact that they lost their top 2 leaders in tackles- might spell disaster.

SPECIALS

Their return game is on point (first in the conference and fifth in the nation). Also, they have solid punter returning….

CONCLUSION:

It is tough to say what this team will do, record wise in 07. One thing is certain, they will score a bunch of points. Points will be put up by their explosive offense. Something to watch for is their place kicker. How will he do? Will Coach Mumme pull the string on the kicking game and got for it on 4<SUP>th</SUP> and shorts? This is very possible in a high scoring WAC conference. I think that 08 is the year that this team will really compete. With that being said, I could still see this team winning a couple more games than a year ago….

Prediction (6-6) maybe 5-7

What to look to bet
OVER OVER OVER
Look at some ATS early (risk)

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Kent State

This is a team that we must watch early IMO. Doug Martin has done wonders with this team. They are no longer the bottom dwellers of year’s past. Locally, they have done a tremendous job with advertisements and getting some fans to the games. It is amazing how the attitude about Kent State has changed. They went from a basketball pipeline, where people around here did not know they had a football team, to in contention for a MAC East Title. Last season the Flashes had their first non-losing season since 2001! Their last five season win totals look like 3 5 5 1 and then 6 last year. The amazing thing is that they started 5-2 last year before finishing 1-3. It was not that they faced tougher opponents, they just choked. All off season they have stressed finishing the job and expecting to win.

OFFENSE

QB Julian Edelman is back and will once again be one of the more exciting players in the MAC. He is a junior JUCO transfer that is a very good runner. Last season, after taking the starting job, he ran for nearly 700 yards. What is unknown is how strong Edelman’s arm is. People I have talked to, within the KSU program, have told be that he has a very strong arm. The reason we did not see it much last season was because he played the whole second half of the season with a torn labrum. He has had surgery and has rehabbed to 100%. I look for him to have a big year in this weak defensive conference.

RB Eugene Jarvis will once again be back for the Flashes. If you have not seen this kid, you need to. No he did not have HUGE stats last year, but he was a freshman and he was very productive. He is listed at 5’5” 158 lbs. I have played basketball with him and my 8 year old nephew seems bigger than he is. Regardless, his size is the only reason that he is not at a bigger school (no pun intended). Also at back, sophomore Greg Keys has switched back to RB from safety and Michigan State transfer (last year) Tony Howard will get some touches.

WR, KSU lost their top 2 targets. With that being said they only had 10 TD s threw the air, a year ago. They have many young WR s, so it will be interesting who will start and who will earn PT. Gray-shirt Freshman Aaron Robinson has been slotted at the X slot. Luneric Mundrow is another smaller guy that has some speed. He is only 5’6” but is explosive.
OL will definitely be a very strong part of this KSU offense. They performed well last year and return 4 out of 5 starters.

Kicker appears to be Nate Reed this year. If you bet for KSU, I am sure you lost a bet or two because of their kicking game. From what I have heard/read Reed has been working very hard had hit about 90% in the Spring….we will see

DEFENSE

The DL should once again be pretty strong. They lost a big time player that is in camp with the Lions or Packers or somewhere. Collin Ferrell will once again start at NG…he is a beast.

LB return 2 starters but depth seems to be the question….Jameson has started and will do well

DB s were the strength of this KSU team a year ago. They lost 4 of their main players….many people think their will be a major drop off, but from what I hear it will not be a huge drop off. They were very deep last year and should be adequate this year.

CONCLUSION

Kent State has one that MAC East just one time ever! That was in the 70s! I expect them to compete for a league title this year. They have to play Iowa State at night to open the season, before going to Kentucky. I look for week to be a strong ATS and maybe SU play. Martin graduated from Kentucky and it would mean a lot to beat his former school.

Prediction (7-5) 8-4 if the ball really bounces their way 5-2 in the MAC

What to look to bet?
ATS early- I do not see this team getting much love early because of the way the finished last season. I am targeting that week 2 game at Kentucky as a big play.

images
images
images
images
images
images

Ohio State

Just to get this out of the way- I think if OSU plays UF 100 times (with last years teams) OSU would win at least 90 of them. That game and lack of focusness (Jim Thome term) has been all over Ohio/Columbus all Spring. It is hard to know what kind of “mood” OSU players have going into this season. Are the still shell-shocked/embarrassed? As a sweater vest supporter, I think that Buckeyes will be ready to roll this year. How they will roll remains to be seen.

OFFENSE

Not that it needs to be said but they have many weapons to replace! I think last year will be the last time you will see a spread offense at OSU. This year they will go back to the power attack IMO - 3 yards and a cloud of dust!

The question with the offense last year was who makes the ship sail? Did Troy Smith make everyone look good? Did Ginn and Gonzo make the rest of the WR s look good? Did the spread offense allow Pittman did run for a shit load of yards?

QB Though it really is not “official”, Todd Boeckman has won a heated 3 way race with Antonio Henton and Rob Shoenhoft. Though I think I will see some playing time in the first 3 games (kind of like Zwick and Smith 3 years ago), Boeckman seems to be the man. He has been a Buckeye forever it seems. He committed to the team in 03, then followed guidance and did not enroll till 2004 (Smith was the man). He is from Ohio and grew up in a town where some Buckeye greats are from. Boeckman(6’ 5” 240) reminds me of a mixture of Craig Krenzal and Justin Zwick. He has a strong arm like Zwick but is smart like Krenzal. He does not do much that is spectacular but he does not make dumb mistakes. I love Henton though! He is young (freshman) and is a dual threat QB.

RB Antonio Pittman left after back to back 1000+ seasons. OSU is not really concerned because they are loaded at this spot. Sophomore Chris Wells (number 1 overall recruit last year) seems ready to take over the helm. What worries people with him is his fumbling problems from a year ago. His family lives down the street from me and say it is all good now. What are they going to say though? “He sucks and will fumble 34 times this year!” Maurice Wells, another solid recruit a few years back, will change the pace- he can get to the corner. Also, Brandon Saine (All American Track star in HS) who was Ohio’s Mr. Football a year ago will get some PT.

WR You would think after losing your 2 main targets that their would be a huge falloff at this position. Since OSU used a lot of 4 and 5 wide looks last year, Brian Hartline and Brian Robiske saw the field a lot. They were very productive a year ago, and should do fine this year. The other young player that I think will have a breakout season will be Ray Small (another Cleveland Glenville product… Ginn, Troy Smith, Donte Whitner, Jamari O’neil, and so on. There are over 20 players playing D1 BCS football from this public school). Everyone at OSU and Glenville says that Small is faster than Ginn. Even Ginn’s biggest promoter, Tedd Ginn SR. said that Small smoked him in HS and at OSU. He will be an interesting/exciting slot receiver to watch. Rory Nichol will once again be at TE…solid
OL Ohio State brings back 3 solid players from their line a year ago. They should be decent - there is a lot of experience coming back. That is because Tressal rotates his line all game so usually about 10 different OL will play each game….

Kicker This position I think is Tressal’s favorite spot, besides the punter of course. Aarron Peatry who made 8 out of his last 9 will split time with a 28 year old walk on from South Africa (lol)

DEFENSE

DL OSU lost 3 starter to the NFL from a year ago. Vernon Gholston is the only one returning (Second team Big 10- early possible All American). Then ends seem to be solid with Gholston on one side and Lawrence Wilson (as been getting PT for 2 years, former bball teammate of Lebron) on the other side. Also, Sophomore Robert Rose (BIG recruit in the Chris Wells class) will see some action. After losing their top 3 tackles, that will be the position of question for the Buckeyes.

LB James Laurinaitis is the man in the middle. He will be back for his junior year after having an amazing sophomore year (Nagurski Award winner, finalist for Butkus and Bedarik, and first team All American). He had 115 tackles, 5 picks, and 4 sacks! Marcus Freeman, a freakish athlete, will help Animal out.

DB The secondary should do well. They have 2 good cover corners and a couple of big hitters. Malcom Jenkins is the main man and Donald Washington will be on the other side. Also, OSU has 6 freshman DB s that they recruited. They are talking that as many as 4 will see significant playing time.

Punter AJ Trapasso will once again be back. He is solid.

CONCLUSION

Well all winter I have said that O-State would lose at least three games and maybe four. How could you lose that much talent and have another successful season? Well, I think that Jim Tressal (62-14 record at OSU) is very key in that. Ohio State plays as many players in a single game than I have ever seen. Tressal likes his young guys to get experience and that pays dividends. I think the offense has potential to put up points but I tend to think they will pound the ball. Defensively I see teams trying to pound the ball up the gut against OSU. DT seems to be the weakest part of this team. With that being said, their ends are fast and they have to above average LB s helping the tackles out. The schedule is a very interesting one this year for Ohio State. They get Texas off their schedule before getting Miami next year. They have Youngstown State (solid 1A school) and Akron to open the schedule…ok the should walk over these teams. After that they have to travel out west and play at Washington- should be an interesting line. My thing with the schedule is coming up
I think that winning on the road in the Big 10 is harder than any other conference.

Yes, there are other conferences, like the SEC, that have better teams but the passion is just not the same. Every Big 10 school will pack their stadium- you go to a hostile crowd every week (with the exception of a couple). You play at 100,000 + stadiums against 3 teams. Then you have Camp Randall and Iowa. The atmosphere is just amazing….

Anyways, Ohio State (who struggles at night) must play 3 road night games (Minnesota, Purdue, and then Penn State). They get Wisky at home but have to travel to the state up north. It will be an interesting season in Buckeye Land- to say the least...

Prediction

(9-3) maybe 8-4, tied for second in the Big 10

What to bet
UNDER

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Louisiana- Monroe

This team comes into the season after winning 3 out of it’s last 4 games last year. That being said, they finished 4-8 and in fifth place in the Sun Belt. A lot of people look at that record and just assume that this is a bad football team. Lets look at their losses though: They lost to both Kansas and Kentucky by 2 points each. The lost by 5 to Sun Belt champion- Troy, 2 to Florida Atlantic, and by 4 to Arkansas State!

Turnovers were a big part of their troubles last year. They had a lot of takeaways but often gave it right back.

OFFENSE

They return all 11 starters from a year ago...

QB Kinsmon Lancaster will once again be the man under center. After a tough sophomore season, he is expected to be a lot better. The main focus in the off season was to lower his TD-TO ratio…Lancaster has the ability to move also (played WR as a Freshman). Also, he had a high completion %, he just failed to keep the ball.

RB and OL I lumped these together because they are all back. Calvin Dawson will be the starting RB after rushing for nearly 1300 yards last season. He would not be able to do it without this huge offensive line. They only allowed 13 sacks all of last year.

WR once again this will be another seasoned spot. Sapp returns after getting nearly 900 yards in the air last year. They struggled last year but look for success this year…

Kicker Cole Wilson returns after a second team all conference last year

DEFENSE

DL has 3 players coming back… A Sophomore and 2 JUCO transfers from a year ago. Travis Eickman will take over the open End spot. He had a good season last year, as a backup.

LB spot is very inexperienced. They graduated 3 seniors at this spot….Chance Payne (transfer from Navy or Army or one of those schools) looks to be the front runner in earning a spot. This is a position where The Warhawks might struggle.

DB They lost two players to the NFL from this spot (Kevin Payne- Chicago and Chaz Williams- TB). They do return two starters though- James Truxillo and Josh Thompson will start opposite each other at CB. At safety Quintez Secka and Darius Battles seem to have to inside track. Secka, another transfer, saw a lot of PT last year.

CONCLUSION

The offense has the potential to be pretty good. With talent and experience back at every spot, they should be solid. The defense is still up in the air. They have the talent but how will they coexist? That remains to be seen…If the defense steps up, they have a good chance to not only compete for a Sun Belt championship but win one. Games 2-4 will tell you a lot about this team. Not necessarily by the win loss ratio but how they compete. These games are @ Clemson @ TAMU and @ Troy…

Prediction
8-4 1<SUP>st</SUP> place Sun Belt Conference

What to Bet
ATS

12998.jpg
12998.jpg
12998.jpg
12998.jpg
12998.jpg
12998.jpg

Akron

All over I see people saying how Akron is over hyped every year. They are not really over hyped but undervalue by the public IMO. When I say undervalued I mean because a lot of people do not see what is going on in the AK Rowdy. You guys, this program has been building the last three years (ever since JD Brookhardt took over). Yes, last years 5-7 mark was a slipup BUT that happens to programs that are building. They have sent 2 QB to the NFL in the L4 years. Brookhardt is one of the best young coaches in the MAC/NCAA IMO. 2 years ago, they won the MAC East and made their first bowl appearance ever. They have had a Top 70 recruiting class in each of the L3 years (#1 in the MAC since Brookhardt has been there). On campus they have built a brand new training facility/Rec Center. When it was built it was said to be a top 3 Rec Center in the natinon (as far as features and technology). http://www3.uakron.edu/onat/srwc/home/reccenter.html Anyways, expectations around this football team are big again…

OFFENSE

QB Supposedly, this is still a 3 man race between Freshmen Sean Hakes, and Sophomores Carlton Jackson and Chris Jaquemain. All of these guys have plenty of talent and showed it throughout the Spring. Hakes is a strong armed kid that was pretty highly touted after wining back to back state titles in high school. Jaquemain lost out to Jackson last year (when they were freshies) for the number 2 slot. The guy I like the most is Jackson- he is fast as hell and has a decent arm. He got a little PT last year but often worked with the number 1s. From what I hear, he is going to start Game one against Army but I wouldn’t rule out multiple QB s getting an opportunity.

RB Dennis Kennedy is the main man in a talented backfield. He ran for nearly 1000 yards and caught 39 balls for nearly 200 yards (11 games). Andre Walker, last years backup, will see a push from Bryan Williams and Alex Allen. Allen missed the majority (maybe all?) with an injury. Williams is a beast! He is a local kid from Akron’s west side who was a pretty touted recruit of Pitt. After getting in some trouble and not having the grades he went to a military academy. He seems to have his shit together and should get many touches. Though Akron struggled, as a team, on the ground last year I expect much more success this season.
WR Jabari Arthur (was a QB, I think he should start at that spot but it is irrelevant what I think) returns after leading the Zips in receptions a year ago. He was player of the year in Canada his senior year. David Harvey seems to be the big question mark coming into this season. He was a beast last year (120 all purpose yards per game) as a freshman. He led the team with nearly 1000 receiving yards. His status to return is in question right now…At TE the Zips have two very viable players: Merce Poindexter and Kris Kasperek

OL After losing Andy Alleman to the Saints (3<SUP>rd</SUP> round pick), the Zips have questions upfront. One thing is sure Chris Kemme will be back (Second Team All MAC). They do have 3 starters back and they also have a couple of seniors that have played multiple positions, as backups, throughout their careers. There is also 3 or 4 true freshman that will compete for spots. The chemistry of these guys upfront will be key for this offense…
KICKER This was an area of trouble for the Zips last year. They do have one of the top kickers in the nation coming in this year. He is from Serbia or Bosnia or somewhere like that….

DEFENSE

This defense returns 8 starters and should do a great job…
DL They have a tackle and end back that did well a year ago. With young talent (the recruits from past), this should be a pretty completive line
LB The best core in the MAC are back and ready to rock Doug Williams (LB the DL last year) as slimmed down and will be back at LB this season. He will team up with two players that had phenomenal seasons a year ago (SAM Brion Stokes 79 Tackles and MIDDLE Kevin Grant 87 Tackles). Behind these 3, the Zips return 2 backups from a season ago. Akron also have 3 incoming Freshmen that expect to see some action.

DB The cupboard is stocked at this spot too. My boy John Mackey (many of you might remember DeAngelo Williams breaking him 2 years ago lol) is a Mike Doss type Safety/Rover. Not saying he is Doss but he is a big hitter that lead this team in tackles a season ago…blitzes a lot. Reggie Corner, (who plays corner) Davanzo Tate, and Andre Jones are all returning starters in this secondary. Once again they have 3 backups with experience and plenty of young freshmen that will help.

CONCLUSION

Ultimately Akron’s success will rely on it’s offensive line. IF they can take care of the ball and run the ball they will have a chance to have a very good season. The pieces are in order, it is just about execution now. This defense is loaded guys. I can see a couple of shutouts with this schedule (meaning the MAC). Akron has a very interesting schedule: They open up against Army (will be played at Cleveland Browns Stadium) the have to go right to Columbus and play O State. They then travel to Indiana. After finally getting a home game against rival and a tough team Kent State they are back on the road. At UCONN and Western Michigan will be their next two…The Zips got unlucky with their schedule (they have to play 2 of the top west teams Western and Central Michigan). 2 games I have targeted right now are @ Indiana and @ UCONN. Akron has played and won in tough situations before. They won at NC State last year in front of a hostile crowd. I believe this will give them the confidence to beat both these foes SU.

Prediction

8-4 or 9-3 5-2 in the MAC

What to Bet

ATS in select games and UNDER<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Michigan
For the first time in a few years, Michigan seems to be the clear cut favorite to bring home the Big 10 championship. Whether it has more to do with their schedule or team remains to be seen. What some people do not realize is that Michigan has lost a lot of players. They only have 10 total starters returning from a year ago.

OFFENSE

This group is very talented and should have no problem putting points up on the board (If Lloyd does not handcuff them).

QB Chad Henne is back for the fourth time. He had a great Freshman year and then struggled 2 years ago before having a tremendous Junior year. I like this kid.

RB Mike Hart is also the real deal. There are not 4 better QB s than Henne nor RB s better than Hart. One thing that concerns me, is that Kevin Grady is all likely done for the season (SEMCON Boys?). He is a strong runner that, from what I hear, is still rehabbing his torn ACL. Word coming out of Ann Arbor is that Brandon Minor had a huge Spring and will be ready to fill in.

WR Mario Manningham is a beast and will be healthy, finally. After Manningham, I am not really sure what will be there. The last I heard was that Adrian Arrington would not be with the team (got in trouble or something). Would love to know his status….anyone? Freshmen Martel Webb and Toney Clemons will help this core. Sophomore LaTerryl Savoy played mostly special teams a year ago, but is highly touted up north.
OL Left Tackle Jake Long will be back for his senior season. Like every other spot on this offense, they have a premier player in the nation. Long is considered to be on of the best lineman in the nation. Adam Kraus and Alex Mitchell will also be back to contain the guard spots. The other tackle spot seems to be Alex Mitchell. He was a big time recruit in 2006 before getting slowed up by injuries.

Kicker They lost a 4 year starter and this job seems to be open now. There are 3 different players vying for this spot.

DEFENSE

DL After losing Lemarr Woodley and Allan Branch to the NFL, UM has some issues up front. Terrance Taylor is the lone returning starter on this line. End Tim Jamison will see more of a starting role with the open spots( he had 5 sacks last year). Finally, Brandon Graham will see some PT. SEMCON can explain more about him BUT I know he is from D Town and was a very prized recruit a couple years back. The starters will be fine, its what is behind them that has be in question. There is not much depth here and in the Big 10 your going to face some good RB s and teams that like to pound it.

LB Shawn Crable will be the lone returning starter in this shredded core. From everything I hear, there is plenty of talent and prospects willing to step up. Jonus Mouton is someone that I like a lot and I believe he will see a lot of PT as the year glides along. He came to Ann Arbor as a DB but has bulked up and is now a LB. Austin Panter, a JUCO transfer, might even sneak into this starting lineup.

DB This is where it gets very very interesting. This secondary absolutely got smoked by USC and Ohio State in their last two games. Leon Hall is gone so the Wolverines look at Jamar Adams to be the leader. He will put up good stats but seems to have brain farts every once awhile. You cannot do that if you are realistically going to contend for a Big 10/ National Title. Everything I hear about Steve Brown is excellent (probably start other safety spot). From what I hear, this kid can fly. Michigan people what is up with him? Burner? Morgan Trent is back at CB. I see this as a BIG area of concern for UM

Conclusion

This is a very unusual team IMO (And you are saying, “Well duh, it is Michigan”). Michigan always seems to be underachievers when they are supposed to be good and visa versa. I point to no one but Lloyd Carr because of this. He is the John Cooper of Michigan. The talent and schedule is there for them to make a very serious bid at a national title. They get Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Ohio State all at home. None of these game will be easy BUT it helps when you have 110,000 people supporting you. Key games I look at for this team will be at Illinois, at Wisconsin, and home against Ohio State. That Illinois game is a night game on the road. Illinois is not by any means a power house but they will continue to improve. The Juice might get loose that game. Wisconsin, I believe, will be where Michigan stumbles. This has all the makings of a John Lloyd Cooper Carr meltdown/choke (call it what you want). It is very possible and I say probable that Michigan will be undefeated coming into this game. You have the classic look ahead factor that mediocre coaches tend not to prepare their team for (Ohio State the following week, with a chance for a national title on the line…revenge from previous years). You are also playing a very good team in a very hostile environment. I have been to a game @ Wisconsin before, and it is something special. Great Environment! Because of this loss @ Wisky, I think they also might struggle against the Buckeyes.

Ultimately, I look at Ohio State and Wisconsin as teams that Michigan will struggle against. They both will have very strong “between the tackles” running games.

Prediction
11-1 10-2 (1 or 2 losses in the Big 10)

What to Bet
I think it is always hard to find what to bet with Michigan. It always seems to take the week before into consideration. I will like at OVERs early in the season and maybe some ATS against them. Lloyd Carr does not usually blow out teams. Plus, they will be a big public team and I think we will be able to get some free points. I think they will win their first 10 games but I do not think they will cover many. Then again, Carr might put more faith into his 4 year starter at QB (similar to Tressal last year). So until I hear from SEMCON nation, I will be looking at overs.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited:
I like this team preseason and have been waiting years for this team to finally breakout. I love Tuitama under center and think that he could have a big year this season. However, I am not sold on their offense as much as you are. The RB spot will be OK, but not terrific and probably not the greatest for a defense oriented squad. The OL should be much better but nothing spectacular. I disagree strongly about the recievers. Cal's tandem of Jackson/Hawkins +Jordan is much better. As is Oregons with J Williams+many solid options. Whoever USC ends up throwing out there will probably be better anyway. Their WR corps are on par with WSU, above average, but not top of the PAC. The offense has a (for the pac-10) average qb, below average rbs, average ol and slightly above average wrs. Should be a decent offense, but in most conference games their O will not be the best. The defense should be spectacular. Great coaching and strong recruiting have built this D and it is probably tops in the Pac-10. The Pac is filled with offenses that can score so they will not pitch shutouts every week but this unit will probably keep them in every game.

Most years I think that this team could make a run for the conference. They open at BYU which will be difficult but winnable. The conference slate has games @Cal, @ OSU, @USC, @Washington, and @ASU. Realistically, 2-3 is the best case scenerio, although it will be very hard to win tow games here. The home games are all winnable, UCLA and Oregon have a great shot at winning in the desert.

Arizona should get to a bowl game, win a lot of games and be a tremendous ATS bet throughout the season. However, due to a very tough Pac-10, I think 8 wins is their max.

rsm- great post. I tend to agree with you about the WR- didnt quite word it the way I wanted to- I just think that the 1-2 combo will be good and their TE is pretty tough....

As far as sold on the offense? Not exactly sold, just think that Sonny Dykes will help them out tremendously.

yessir - great writeup, enjoyed reading. I did cover NMST in depth already and I have a few things to add about that team.

At RB, a position they do not use that much, they return virtually everyone and their leading rusher in 06' had only 444yards last yr. They do however get Justine Buries back, 260yds in 2starts as a true frosh, had four 100yd games and rushed for 779yds and was the leading returning rusher coming into 06' in the WAC but tore his ACL in wk2. That is very important because it makes them more dangerous on offense.

The OL should also be better as they only returned 1 OL last yr with Div 1a starting experience. This yr they only lose 1 man from the line and may get back Roberto Davis (9 starts in 05' at RT as a true frosh). Overall the offense returns 10 starters and many more that saw the field.

The DL will get back two players who started in 05' at DE but did not play in 06'. The good thing for the DL is that they are deep and return 7 players with starting experience and combine for 74 career starts. They also welcome two transfer players as well.

The LB corps loses their #1 tackler and 2nd TM WAC player in Tim McManigal but they return 6 of their top 8 and have 4 with starting experience. The DB's lost their best player in CB Courtney Bryan another 2nd TM WAC player but they return 3 players with starting experience.

They must cutdown on turnovers because there is no doubt their offense can move the ball all over the field. In 06' they were -10 in turnovers. The schedule isn't that tough with OOC games vs. SE Louisiana, @ New Mexico (5 TO's last yr in a 34-28loss), UTEP, and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. They also have 7 home games this yr..NMST was 6-2-2 ATS last yr and their offense has backdoor written all over it if they are getting blown out. Once again, a 6-6 yr or possible 7win season and a bowl shot is not out of this world for NMST and I am expecting it actually

yessir as a general rule i like to play teams that get beaten/embarrassed the year before in the national title game, of course this rule applies to football only, but it has worked well in the past.

here i why i do not think i will continue with my rule. lack of offensive starters for ohio state and OSU playing youngstown state (tressel's old school), he really won't want to win by 6 TD's if he can help it.

From everything I've read/heard, Larry Grant just absolutely tore up the spring (not just the spring game), and will be a huge factor this year...if that comes to fruition, tOSU's defense is going to be very good...Doug Worthington, Gholston, Robert Rose, Lawrence Wilson will sure up the front...

One coach said they hoped grant got through the fall w/out hurting someone, and they'd be happy....I'm ecstatic about that, as I was pumped when he Juco'd here after he couldn't get in at FLA w/a transcript issue...

W/ JL at the MIC, Grant at the SAM, and Freeman at the WILL...that LB core will be the best in Big ten...

Tressellball will be back and the defense is the key...if they are as good as I think they can be, an 11 win season is not out of the question...

Obviously Beanie staying healthy and Boechman not turning it over are important, but the D is the key...

I'm excited to see what an offense w/ guys like Beanie, Robo, White Lightning (hartline) and Roy (Biggie) Smalls can do...

Can't wait for some freakin football.

oh man, the secret is getting out on LaMonroe.. Don't let VegasKyle see this..haha good job man, agree there. ATS machine

From everything I've read/heard, Larry Grant just absolutely tore up the spring (not just the spring game), and will be a huge factor this year...if that comes to fruition, tOSU's defense is going to be very good...Doug Worthington, Gholston, Robert Rose, Lawrence Wilson will sure up the front...

One coach said they hoped grant got through the fall w/out hurting someone, and they'd be happy....I'm ecstatic about that, as I was pumped when he Juco'd here after he couldn't get in at FLA w/a transcript issue...

W/ JL at the MIC, Grant at the SAM, and Freeman at the WILL...that LB core will be the best in Big ten...

Tressellball will be back and the defense is the key...if they are as good as I think they can be, an 11 win season is not out of the question...

Obviously Beanie staying healthy and Boechman not turning it over are important, but the D is the key...

I'm excited to see what an offense w/ guys like Beanie, Robo, White Lightning (hartline) and Roy (Biggie) Smalls can do...

Can't wait for some freakin football.

I agree with everything you wrote, except the 11 win season. I just think that those night road games are going to hurt them a lot! Then you throw in the fact that they have to go @ Washington and @ scUM plus have Wisky at home....tough schedule

oh man, the secret is getting out on LaMonroe.. Don't let VegasKyle see this..haha good job man, agree there. ATS machine

thanks everything.....lol shh...Who is vegaskyle?

thanks everything.....lol shh...Who is vegaskyle?

he is pretty new here but we were talking about teams and that was a team that both us liked under the radar.

NMST was my other one but Phil Steele ruined that secret

Could be...Wazzou still I think is a good draw w/ this club considering our home and homes' last couple and the next ten...Texas last two..USC next two..Wazzou seems like a gift in that scenario....get Wisky at home...thos e night roadies are tough, but Minny has really struggled w/ us...other two are tough...scUM is scUM..

Sweatervest supposedly is as focused as that first speech a while back...i don't know..

I jsut don't see this team losing four games..I think two is more realistic..

Can't wait man and good work.

Akron is your first write up that i do not agree with. Well atleast I disagree with you about the record you think they can post. I absolutely agree that this defense is pretty loaded for a MAC team but unfortunately they will have to be. From what I have read, it does indeed look like Jackson is the lean for starting the season at number 1 qb spot. The likely reason for this is that whoever starts at qb will be running for his life so you had best get the best athlete back there. Akron isn't a reload team. I would be shocked if jackson /jacquemain or whoever starts at qb can match Getsy in their first season, especially behind a line that returns ONE starter. I think they run a spread attack and that usually takes some time to gel as a unit, especially for the qb. this team averaged less than 20 points a game last year with a better qb ( likely better but definitely more experienced). There will be a lot of pressure on the defense too, since there is no way they can control clock with this OL and the style of offense that they play. The defense could really get worn down.

They may be a half decent play as a big underdog in certain spots and I only see them being favored in three games all year and those three teams are a who's who of being sucky ( Army in clev , home to temple and at buffalo ). How do they score ?? throw it up for grabs to arthur ??

I see this team winning 4-5 games... so this is my first disagreement with you. for the sake of my wallet I hope you are wrong here . heheheh

BTW jacksons playing time last year that you mentioned was 1-1 for 2 yards.

YEs but his time against starters was there. He played with the numbers in practice most weeks becasue Getsky was hurt.

Also, I can see this team being favored against Kent and Miami. The BGSU line should be close to a PK also. They can beat UCONN and Indiana... I think maybey a 7-5 is more accurate that 8-4...

we will see:cheers:

don't let one persons vote bother ya. i think this is a good thread for what its worth and based on the rating others do as well. Besides , someone could have accidentally hit it. keep your write ups coming, they are quality and insightful. Quite frankly, I would be very suprised if anyone reading your thread so far hasn't learned a thing or two. I have and I feel like I an ahead of the game in college football research up to this point of the preseason. Keep them coming ....... you can't please everyone but some of us are garnering some excellent info from your threads and opinions.

Very nice write-up on UM Yessir.

Grady is done for year. Brown and Minor are plenty solid though behind.

Arrington got reinstated. Thats huge. Mathews as well will be solid.

Special teams and DB..thats what worries me.

I agree about Wisky and Illy game.

They have to get thru first 4 games unscathed. PSU and Oregon games will be battles.

Betting wise..

Over against Oregon and any games as a dog they are always tough. I never recommend big spreads because he don't run it up.

VegasKyle- Thanks bro....I was just messing around...just think its funny

BAR- Thanks for the answers. I think it is HUGE that Arrington will be around this year. I agree that there are some tough games early in the schedule. Then again they are a Big 10 team so they do not play Troy and Florida Int. every year (SEC teams). I agree completely with the Oregon game. BAR what about the DL against power running teams with good lines (OSU and Wisky)?

Then again they are a Big 10 team so they do not play Troy and Florida Int. every year (SEC teams).?

Then again they do play App St (though back to back D1AA champs, they are still 1AA) and Eastern Michigan. I will give them credit with having ND and Oregon OOC but lets be real here, they are more the exception in the B10 than the rule. Penn St OOC (Flor Int, Buffalo, ND, Temple). Ohio St OOC (Youngstown St, Akron, Washington, Kent St), Iowa OOC (N.Illinois, Cuse, Iowa St, Western Mich), Wisky OOC (Wash St, UNLV, Citadel, N. Illinois), Purdue OOC (Toledo, Eastern Illinois, Central Michigan, ND), Illinois OOC (Missouri, Western Illinois, Cuse, Ball St). I mean you can talk about the SEC raiding the Sun belt but most of these teams bring in some decent BCS OOC schools to atleast challenge them on top of their already tough conference schedule instead of raiding the MAC and D1AA.

LSU (VaTech)
UGA (Ok St, GaTech)
Bama (FSU)
Auburn (USF, KState)
SC (Clemson, NC)
Florida (FSU)
Tenn (Cal)
Kentucky (Louisville)

My point there is

Yes, finally some SEC teams are playing quality opponents out of conference! But last year UF would not have made the national championship game because of their weak non league schedule. Auburn did get a chance in the national game a few years back for that same reason.

Big teams from big conferences should play the middle of the pack teams from other conferences (at least). Ohio State and Texas should be commended for what they did for college football. They had the balls to schedule each other and now it is starting to trickle down.

Ohio State does not have a HUGE name on their non conference schedule because of some scheduling issues. Next 2 years they have a home and home with USC followed by a home home with Miami (the next two years).

And with that Auburn schedule? They had no idea that South Florida would be loading up when they made that schedule. I think that UGA has a solid schedule

Florida will get screwed out of the game this year if they have a great run. REASON They have Western Kentucky and Troy on the schedule.

Not to mention that Florida plays Florida Atlantic November 17 (SOMEONE SHOULD BE FIRED OVER THIS)

Bama scheduled Louisiana Monroe on November 17?

Tennessee plays Louisiana Lafayette on NOV 3?

LSU plays Louisiana Tech on NOV 10th

My point was not to start a debate but the SEC gets what it deserves when they have that # 3 seed in the BCS Polls. Why they schedule these jokes this late in the season is beyond me. I know other conferences are all playing league games but come on. The SEC needs to do something about this.

VegasKyle- Thanks bro....I was just messing around...just think its funny

BAR- Thanks for the answers. I think it is HUGE that Arrington will be around this year. I agree that there are some tough games early in the schedule. Then again they are a Big 10 team so they do not play Troy and Florida Int. every year (SEC teams). I agree completely with the Oregon game. BAR what about the DL against power running teams with good lines (OSU and Wisky)?

The defense will so much better by midseason than before. Thats why I think they will be a bit above average come those tough Novemeber games. If not, then they could possibly lose both no matter how many points they put up.

Back