My OU Sooners and their high expectations this Fall - my .02

Need Georgia to beat Bama, Oregon to lose either @ Utah or against the Beavs, think Ducks would win on a neutral against any Pac South team

Can't see any team in ACC making it and either OU or Okie Lite should finish ahead of ND. Cinci winning out wouldn't be good for OU but they're in the same boat, three difficult games to end the season especially with ECU catching them in a massive sandwich spot if they beat SMU

are we all in agreement that the Sooners need to not only beat Iowa St, Okie Lite and the Big 12 title opponent, but basically need to win all 3 games handily (at least 10+ point margins if not higher) in order to work their way into the CFP ??
Doubt that will do it

Oklahoma is not in control of their own destiny, even if they win out (which I doubt they do). Big 10 champ, SEC champ and runner up, N Dame all ahead of OU. Big 10 runner up may be as well. I doubt Oklahoma is in the top 10 when ranking come out today.

Better for OU if they don't make it. Their first game will end up about like the OU/LSU match from a couple years back.

Doubt that will do it

Oklahoma is not in control of their own destiny, even if they win out (which I doubt they do). Big 10 champ, SEC champ and runner up, N Dame all ahead of OU. Big 10 runner up may be as well. I doubt Oklahoma is in the top 10 when ranking come out today.

Better for OU if they don't make it. Their first game will end up about like the OU/LSU match from a couple years back.
Clearly Oregon and Cinci are ahead I'd think if everyone wins out which is highly unlikely. Can't see ND being ahead of Cinci

At minimum...

Plus some help...

Big 12 winner (if OU or Okie Lite) at 12-1 makes the CFP field imo because I believe:

- georgia wins sec at 13-0 and goes
- b1g winner goes
- cincy if undefeated goes
- 4th spot goes to 12-1 big 12 winner OU or okie lite

Oregon and p12 out after ducks lose at Utah and the ACC is out.

Wildcard situation is the Big 10 east with 3 of the top 7 teams right now and how mch state and mich situation playas out o\if both 11-1 and sparty wins big 10 but mich 11-1 and sitting home that day.

Last edited:
Big 12 winner (if OU or Okie Lite) at 12-1 makes the CFP field imo because I believe:

- georgia wins sec at 13-0 and goes
- b1g winner goes
- cincy if undefeated goes
- 4th spot goes to 12-1 big 12 winner OU or okie lite

Oregon and p12 out after ducks lose at Utah and the ACC is out.

Wildcard situation is the Big 10 east with 3 of the top 7 teams right now and how mch state and mich situation playas out o\if both 11-1 and sparty wins big 10 but mich 11-1 and sitting home that day.
This committee would take a 2-loss Alabama team over Oklahoma (if Georgia doesn't blow them out in the SEC Ship game).

They kind of made their initial statement that they weren't crazy about Oklahoma just from having them ranked 8th being undefeated. I don't think there's a prayer in hell they can miraculously jump into a playoff spot, even with all the victories they would need.

This committee would take a 2-loss Alabama team over Oklahoma (if Georgia doesn't blow them out in the SEC Ship game).

They kind of made their initial statement that they weren't crazy about Oklahoma just from having them ranked 8th being undefeated. I don't think there's a prayer in hell they can miraculously jump into a playoff spot, even with all the victories they would need.

The only hope I have right now is 3 straight wins by 14+ points each (I know, highly doubtful) and it would be similar to ohio state 2014 climbing up the rankings and finally leaping TCU.

14+ point wins over okie lite in stoolwater and again vs them or Baylor in Jerry's world might be enough to pull off a miracle move to #4 by sunday dec 5th if some crazy stuff happens above where OU is sitting.

Sparty and Oregon should both be out of way by tomorrow evening.

A 12-1 sooner team, if they have some decent margins on victories the next 3 weeks, would be ahead of a 2 loss pac 12 champ and any ACC champ.

A 12-1 sooner team, if they have some decent margins on victories the next 3 weeks, would be ahead of a 2 loss pac 12 champ and any ACC champ.

but behind a perfect cincy and im guessing a 1 loss irish team who the committee always seems to favor.

but behind a perfect cincy and im guessing a 1 loss irish team who the committee always seems to favor.
You have to look at what schools have remaining. The Irish play lousy ga tech and lousy stanfarce. Not much to gain by beating them.

Sooners play 6-4 iowa state (not great) but 9-1 okie late and then okie lite or baylor in big 12 title game (if they win).

Let me guarantee 95% that if the Sooners win the next 3 games by 14+ points each, they'll jump notre dame.

You have to look at what schools have remaining. The Irish play lousy ga tech and lousy stanfarce. Not much to gain by beating them.

Sooners play 6-4 iowa state (not great) but 9-1 okie late and then okie lite or baylor in big 12 title game (if they win).

Let me guarantee 95% that if the Sooners win the next 3 games by 14+ points each, they'll jump notre dame.

i get it but ND sos is actually really good, i could see them launching up for no reason, seen it before

i get it but ND sos is actually really good, i could see them launching up for no reason, seen it before

there's always a reason, Bud, and it's usually because people ahead in the rankings, lose. i could see them moving up at least spots in Tuesday's rankings i expect Mich State to lose to Ohio State handily and i expect the Utes to take out Oregon in a close one up in Salt Lake.

i expect both schools to drop and ND and others to leap up over them.

there's always a reason, Bud, and it's usually because people ahead in the rankings, lose. i could see them moving up at least spots in Tuesday's rankings i expect Mich State to lose to Ohio State handily and i expect the Utes to take out Oregon in a close one up in Salt Lake.

i expect both schools to drop and ND and others to leap up over them.

yea there a reason, cause certain teams draw more ratings, fans travel, money,. that the biggest reason

Hunt and I were messaging each other about my beloved OU Sooners and I thought I would share my penny or two of how I am feeling going into the season.

I am looking forward to CFB again but regarding my Sooners I am uncomfortable.

I don't like that big target that the Top 5 teams and especially the Top 2 get on them, preseason, unless it's Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, schools like this who seem immune to the pressure.

The Sooners do Not seem immune to this pressure even going back to the Stoops days.

On paper, we look pretty strong in all 3 phases but our young Center and RB's will have to step up.

Let's look at the schedule:

9/4 @ Tulane -Mean Green have 16 starters back and seem well coached by Fritz. tricky game but I think we win by DD when it's said and done. still, tricky first game on the road.

9/18 v Nebraska. I expect the Huskers to a be much improved team but it probably does not show up this early in the season and in Norman. I think we win comfortably on the scoreboard but only because it is early in the season and at home. Without those two factors I could see the margin being inside of 10 had it been later in the year and at Lincoln (like it is next year :-O)

10/2 at K State. Need I say anymore? Toss up game IMO.

10/9 v texasss. no comments necessary. they are young at QB and brand new coach, but is the RRR. very unpredictable. i will say we win, but not easy at all.

10/16 v TCU. Patterson is a witch. tons of returning starters incl QB. very tough game. we sneak by this one if both teams healthy at key spots.

10/30 v Tex Tech. Wells' team in Year 3 under him could break out this year. we win, but closer than it looks on paper.

11/13 at Baylor. Aranda, at home, in year 2. Look out. close win.

11/20 v Iowa State. Campbell, Purdy, Breece. what a coach, what a QB, and what a RB. even more, what a team around on them in all 3 phases. Toss up game.

11/27 at okie lite. they are always lying in wait, no matter what. Gundy a great coach. their young team (esp on O) will be much more seasoned by then and ready to play spoiler.

If healthy at key spots like Spencer and a few other *irreplaceable* spots, I see us going 11-1 with many close wins and a crappy nonconf which hurts us in the Playoff ranking.

Then at 11-1 and perhaps ranked #4 or lower in the playoff rankings, we head to Jerry's World to play a strong team in the B12 conf title game and we Lose. Yes, we Lose.

final record 11-2 and NO playoff this year.

This is my gut feeling. I am hopeful but I try as much as possible to put my fandom aside when analyzing a team and their prospects for the season.

Between the B12 schedule which is much stronger than some might think, and having to play one of those schools a second time (if, if, if we make it to Jerry's world), I am seeing at least 2 losses this year and looking on the outside for a second straight year in the CFB playoff.

Obviously, I am hoping I am wrong.

I welcome any and all comments and thoughts.

Thanks and enjoy the season, Fellas.

That's a wrap! I was wrong. We were even worse than I thought we'd be!

Just another team ranked way too high in the preseason based on the prior year results and they were not ready for it. Could see it from miles away in August.

he didnt want to compete in the sec
Actually he didn't want anything more to do with the suits at OU who not only lied to him, but lied to every team in the conference they were doing business with.

And not only lied, deliberately misled them for months while they attended meetings, voted on conference financial matters, hung out with them at golf outings and other social occasions, all the while using the information they got from secret negotiations on conference matters to further their own interests during secret negotiations with a rival conference they were preparing to join

I don't blame him. I wouldn't do business with scum like that either

Okie Lite at #5

ND at #6

i think kelly leaving them might have hurt their chances/had something to do with okie lite jumping them. regardless they might be one upset away from getting in assuming bama loses, then if any one of michigan, cincy, or okie lite losing and id think irish get in. Dont think they would score a point on uga tho :)

I want a defensive-minded head man at OU like Stoopsie was.

Offense is easy to find these days. I want a killer D again.

Stoops 4 title game appearances and 1 Natty.

Lincoln ZERO on Both.

Don't let the door hit you and Grinch on the way out.

Grinch one of the most overrated coordinators I have ever seen.

He must have naked pics of someone to keep landing gigs and be up for the Broyles.

I don't get it.

Brent Venables - come back home, Bruh !!!!!

stoops didnt have to go thru the playoff, sounds a bit like sour grapes to me, riley a good coach!!i think ya'll gonna hate life in the sec no matter what tho. smart move by him imo..

stoops didnt have to go thru the playoff, sounds a bit like sour grapes to me, riley a good coach!!i think ya'll gonna hate life in the sec no matter what tho. smart move by him imo..

Riley a good coach but not a Great Coach IMO

just look at these last two seasons. last year i can understand because it was a bunch of new faces and it was Spencer's first season starting, but this year was a joke. they were disjointed from the get-go and could never get a rhythm going.

i have been critical of the defense for many years now, and they simply could not get it fixed.

If if if VENABLES comes back to Norman, he will now allow the D to stink so badly.

just look at these last two seasons. last year i can understand because it was a bunch of new faces and it was Spencer's first season starting, but this year was a joke. they were disjointed from the get-go and could never get a rhythm going.

i have been critical of the defense for many years now, and they simply could not get it fixed.

If if if VENABLES comes back to Norman, he will now allow the D to stink so badly.

I don’t really blame him for this year, the biggest mistake he made was backing a bum horse, aka believing in Rattler who I’ve always thought is a straight up turd, he will never have success or get drafted, crazy he was ever thought of highly. I think Riley just wanted it to work so bad cause he was his 1st qb actual recruit, not a transfer, so he was blinded to how bad he sucked. You certainly right bout the d but that just the way it is lot of places these days.

Congratulations. You are immediately 10 points per game better.

Not necessarily.

It depends on who they hire as OC.

i have a very hard time believing they will find someone as astute as Riley at offense but i guess it possible. i know if im a qb with nfl aspirations im now going to usc, that just me tho.

i have a very hard time believing they will find someone as astute as Riley at offense but i guess it possible. i know if im a qb with nfl aspirations im now going to usc, that just me tho.

true, but only one QB can play at a time, so the back ups will be going into the transfer portal :)

it might take a few steps back but it will not "tumble". there are too many capable OCs who would love to take that role at OU.

yea im sure it wont be that awful, im just needling ya a little, fans are fun :) you seem much more reasonable than most tho!! I think ya'll bigger problem aint the coach it moving to the sec! might be a blessing in disguise getting a guy with the defensive acumen of Venables. Cant even imagine what some those sec offenses would have scored on some of riley recent defenses!! lol. then again every time Venables took one his clemson defenses up against bama or lsu they shredded him so maybe it doesnt matter and offense is the key!! Look what bama just did to uga defense i thought was one the best we seen in some time!! offense is king, especially in college fb these days.

yea im sure it wont be that awful, im just needling ya a little, fans are fun :) you seem much more reasonable than most tho!! I think ya'll bigger problem aint the coach it moving to the sec! might be a blessing in disguise getting a guy with the defensive acumen of Venables. Cant even imagine what some those sec offenses would have scored on some of riley recent defenses!! lol. then again every time Venables took one his clemson defenses up against bama or lsu they shredded him so maybe it doesnt matter and offense is the key!!

yes, i try to be objective about the Sooners.

SEC offenses I think are pretty much on par with BIG 12 save for Bama and Bryce who are a different animal, and OLE MISS.
A&M, AUB, ARK, MISS ST and TENN had their moments also, but most of the BIG 12 offenses did also, i think.

the difference i think would have been some of the SEC D's like GA, LSU, Bama, AUB who would have stuffed this year's OU team, IMO.

am i worried about the move to the SEC? Yes, absolutely.

am i excited to see some of the conf matchups when OU moves? Yes, absolutely.

it is going to be very fun to see the SEC Superconference.

yes, i try to be objective about the Sooners.

SEC offenses I think are pretty much on par with BIG 12 save for Bama and Bryce who are a different animal, and OLE MISS.
A&M, AUB, ARK, MISS ST and TENN had their moments also, but most of the BIG 12 offenses did also, i think.

the difference i think would have been some of the SEC D's like GA, LSU, Bama, AUB who would have stuffed this year's OU team, IMO.

am i excited to see some of the conf matchups when OU moves? Yes, absolutely.

it is going to be very fun to see the SEC Superconference.

im not a real big fan of this super conference thing, but whatever i guess, end of the day just give me games to bet on, how they sort it all out doesnt mean much to me.. I dont think there any big 12 offenses on par with much of any the sec offenses this year (outside sooners) and vols, ark, messy st, might just be the tip the iceberg as they all pretty early in their new systems!! gonna be a fireworks show in the sec going forward.

im actually kinda excited for the new big12 with cincy, houston, and byu joining, think they did really well to get these teams in to replace the 2 leaving them high and dry..is that the only 3? cant remember, they shoulda brought boise in also..

im actually kinda excited for the new big12 with cincy, houston, and byu joining, think they did really well to get these teams in to replace the 2 leaving them high and dry..is that the only 3? cant remember, they shoulda brought boise in also..
Got UCF too

As a fellow OU alum I can tell you you should be worried. OU just gave up the greatest advantage any elite program in the country has ever had.

OU became a football power immediately after WW II and they have kicked butt ever since. And they should have--they had the best situation of any elite program in the country--they were always in a conference where they had more money and resources than any school in the conference. All through the Big 8 years every other team in the conference was at a distinct disadvantage in money, resources, and recruiting base. For years they called the Big 8 Oklahoma and the seven dwarfs and it was a perfect description. OU never had--and still doesn't have--to worry about conference games.

Nebraska finally built themselves up as a challenger and a formidable program, but OU always had a recruiting advantage over the Corn Huskers, plus the only other power they had to face every year was Texas. So OU never had to face powerhouses back to back. They could get up for Texas and Nebraska and they ALWAYS had better players than every other conference team they faced.

The series advantages they built up over every other team in the conference was laughable. OU didn't even have to worry about road games.

The only thing that changed with the Big 12 was Texas became a conference rival, but still OU always had a huge advantage over every other team in the conference so NEVER had to play powerful teams the week before or after Texas and Nebraska. Not once in 60 years.

The suits at Oklahoma think all these years of domination happened because they are so smart. They think--and most of the peckerwood segment of the Oklahoma population (and a very large segment it is)--think they will still dominate, they will just do it against the SEC, so they think the move is brilliant because they will make more money.

Of course Oklahoma already has more money than they can spend as they proved the other night when they flew Venables in on a private jet. But not a Lear jet. They chartered a Gulfstream at many times the cost of a Lear or other smaller business jets. But no matter how much money they have, the athletic department suits always want more. They don't want the other athletic departments around the country to think they were so poor they had to charter a mere Lear.

So now they will end up in a conference where they don't have the advantage over anyone except Vanderbilt and maybe Missouri and are now at the same disadvantage Kansas and Kansas State and Texas Tech and the rest of the have-nots faced against them for decades. And now when they play whatever team they invent as their big rival they will have man eater teams lined up to get them next.

Nebraska proved what happens to teams that have every advantage in a weak conference and move to a conference where everyone has the advantage over them. And the SEC is a lot tougher week to week than the Big 10. Oklahoma will go from playing the easiest road schedule of any elite program the last 60 years to facing murderer's row.

So, yes, you should be worried. But the suits won't be. The only thing that worries them is the idea they might have to charter a smaller jet for their next trip

Last edited:
As a fellow OU alum I can tell you you should be worried. OU just gave up the greatest advantage any elite program in the country has ever had.

OU became a football power immediately after WW II and they have kicked butt ever since. And they should have--they had the best situation of any elite program in the country--they were always in a conference where they had more money and resources than any school in the conference. All through the Big 8 years every other team in the conference was at a distinct disadvantage in money, resources, and recruiting base. For years the called the Big 8 Oklahoma and the seven dwarfs and it was a perfect description. OU never had--and still doesn't have--to worry about road games.

Nebraska finally built themselves up as a challenger and a formidable program, but OU always had a recruiting advantage over the Corn Huskers, plus the only other power they had to face every year was Texas. So OU never had to face powerhouses back to back. They could get up for Texas and Nebraska and they ALWAYS had better players than every other conference team they faced.

The series advantages they built up over every other team in the conference was laughable. OU didn't even have to worry about road games.

The only thing that changed with the Big 12 was Texas became a conference rival, but still OU always had a huge advantage over every other team in the conference so NEVER had to play powerful teams the week before or after Texas and Nebraska. Not once in 60 years.

The suits at Oklahoma think all these years of domination happened because they are so smart. They think--and most of the peckerwood segment of the Oklahoma population (and a very large segment it is)--think they will still dominate, they will just do it against the SEC, so they think the move is brilliant because they will make more money.

Of course Oklahoma already has more money than they can spend as they proved the other night when they flew Venables in on a private jet. But not a Lear jet. They chartered a Gulfstream at many times the cost of a Lear or other smaller business jets. But no matter how much money they have, the athletic department suits always want more. They don't want the other athletic departments around the country to think they were so poor they had to charter a mere Lear.

So now they will end up in a conference where they don't have the advantage over anyone except Vanderbilt and maybe Missouri and are now at the same disadvantage Kansas and Kansas State and Texas Tech and the rest of the have-nots faced against them for decades. And now when they play whatever team they invent as their big rival they will have man eater teams lined up to get them next.

Nebraska proved what happens to teams that have every advantage in a weak conference and move to a conference where everyone has the advantage over them. And the SEC is a lot tougher week to week than the Big 10. Oklahoma will go from playing the easiest road schedule of any elite program the last 60 years to facing murderer's row.

So, yes, you should be worried. But the suits won't be. The only thing that worries them is the idea they might have to charter a smaller jet for their next trip

Great Post, Bud.

Will be interesting to see if the SEC railroads OU and Texas like the Big Ten has to us. Terrible officiating year after year, much harder cross division games than Wisconsin and Iowa year after year. Nebraska has done a lot wrong on their own, but they're hamstrung by the powers that be (mostly Barry Alvarez) at every turn.

Will be interesting to see if the SEC railroads OU and Texas like the Big Ten has to us. Terrible officiating year after year, much harder cross division games than Wisconsin and Iowa year after year. Nebraska has done a lot wrong on their own, but they're hamstrung by the powers that be (mostly Barry Alvarez) at every turn.
Doubtful

OU became a football power immediately after WW II and they have kicked butt ever since. And they should have--they had the best situation of any elite program in the country--they were always in a conference where they had more money and resources than any school in the conference. All through the Big 8 years every other team in the conference was at a distinct disadvantage in money, resources, and recruiting base. For years they called the Big 8 Oklahoma and the seven dwarfs and it was a perfect description. OU never had--and still doesn't have--to worry about conference games.

again, great post, but one thing i believe we will see is that OU will attract even better talent than they already do, by joining the SEC.

i'm thinking more 5 star guys than they typically get. tons of 3 and 4 starts already go to Norman, but now i can see more 5 stars heading there..

again, great post, but one thing i believe we will see is that OU will attract even better talent than they already do, by joining the SEC.

i'm thinking more 5 star guys than they typically get. tons of 3 and 4 starts already go to Norman, but now i can see more 5 stars heading there..

from what i have seen in the past i think that a fallacy, i dont think kids seeing them get beat by the bama, uga, lsu of the world is gonna make them decide they want to go there just to be in the sec.

Reactions: KJ
from what i have seen in the past i think that a fallacy, i dont think kids seeing them get beat by the bama, uga, lsu of the world is gonna make them decide they want to go there just to be in the sec.
Think they can be at UGA/LSU level, Bama will be tough but remember before Saban they were fighting for bowl eligibility too

OU isn't just going to disappear as a power, reason UT has is their boosters from what it seems

Think they can be at UGA/LSU level, Bama will be tough but remember before Saban they were fighting for bowl eligibility too

OU isn't just going to disappear as a power, reason UT has is their boosters from what it seems

yea i agree they will always be relevant, i just dont think joining the sec will help get better recruits than they getting now, they doing pretty well, maybe being ou will give them a boost but i have heard that from other teams and didnt seem to change much in way of recruiting.

Reactions: KJ
Back