2008 Record 1-1 -0.10 Units

Week 2 Plays

Wyoming -3 2 Units
Notre Dame -20' 1 Unit
New Mexico +120 ML 1 Unit
Utah/UNLV O42 1 Unit

Week 1 Recaps

Northern Iowa @ BYU
Game was closer at times than the 41-14 final would show. BYU dominated the first half as they scored on four of their six possessions and held a 27-3 lead. They struggled with some turnovers (four fumbles) in the 2nd half as N. Iowa pulled with 10 at one point.

Max Hall was great again as he put up 485 yards thru the air. BYU running game wasn't great, but it didn't need to be. The Cougars were w/out starting FB/backup TB Vakapuna as he was finishing up some summer school work. He will play versus Washington.

The defense wasn't spectacular as they gave up almost 400 yards of offense and got burned by a couple of big plays including a nice reverse pass for a 76 yard TD. Pretty much what would be expected from an inexperienced back 7.

A special teams note: Freshman kicker Justin Sornenson has won kickoff duties and of his 7 kickoffs 5 were touchbacks. BYU only had two touchbacks all year. Nice advantage for the defense to have 80 yards behind them.

TCU @ NMU

Story here would be TCU's defense. No doubt they were ready to go in this one as they forced 3 1st half turnovers and simply smothered the Lobos. Due to DVR problems I haven't actually seen this game which is quite unfortunate.

I really not impressed with either offense. TCU's longest scoring drive was 30 yards. They averaged 3.5 yards a carry and while Dalton played a solid game, 16-25 for 120 yards and 17 carries for 56 yards, I'm still concerned about their ability to throw the ball down the field.

The Frogs always have the one of the best defenses in the league, but their offense is never quite good enough to score enough points against the Utes and Cougars. Hopefully, for their sake, that they were just very conservative up 16-0 nine minutes in.

The Lobos lost starting QB Donovan Porterie to a neck injury in the 1st half and he didn't return to the game. No update on his status for the A&M game. Needless to say that if he misses week 2 the Lobos will have no ability to move the ball. Starting RB Rodney Ferguson had little to no room to run with Porterie out as the Frogs stacked the line.

Again I haven't seen the game so I my thoughts are a bit limited.

Utah @ Michigan

I could write about this one for days. Brian Johnson is healthy and he looked really good in the 1st half. Utah could not run the ball efficiently and much of that credit should go to the Wolverines. The Utes should have had their asses chewed out on the flight home. Penalty after penalty cost them a blowout. Some of the penalties were questionable but plenty of others were obvious and plain stupid.

The defense is a bit better than I imagined. I was very impressed with the line backing group as they really moved to the ball well. Also did a good job of staying composed in the 4th quarter and securing the victory when everything else was going wrong.

K/P Louie Sakoda is an absolute stud. 4/4 on FG's with a 53 yarder that would have been good from 60+. Three punts inside the twenty and he averaged 47 ypp. A real asset to the Utes.

Injury notes:
Lost backup QB Corbin Louks to a separated shoulder on his only carry of the game. Backup RB Matt Asiata took over the QB running package and did a phenomenal job.

Defensive tackle Kenape Eliapo and safety Robert Johnson were injured in the game. Whittingham said the status of both players was being evaluated. Defensive coordinator Gary Andersen said Lei Talamaivao and Deshawn Richard did a nice job stepping in for them.

USU @ UNLV

Another game that probably wasn't as close as the score indicated. UNLV did what they had to do to win the game and not much else. All the #'s look great and it's suprising they didn't win by more. Frank Summers ran for 87 yards on only 14 carries. Sanford has to get the ball in his hands more especially when they're up 14 in the 4th quarter. Two times I saw the Rebels go 3 and out last night in the 2nd half without ever trying to run the ball. Clayton was proficient going for 190 yards and 3 TD's.

Hard to grade the D as the Aggies are not exactly an offensive juggernaut. They gave up 315 yards of offense but did a good job of holding the Aggies to 3.0 ypc.

Pretty much what was expected here. Seeing the Rebels win by 10, with a spread of 12.5, was certainly no suprise. Predictable in fact.

Cal Poly @ SDSU

Yuck. I'll let horses and Azteclife break this one down. The key #'s in this one are the rushing attempts. Cal Poly ran the ball 51 times for 263 yards for 5.2 ypc. SDSU ran the ball 23 times for 27 yards for 1.2 ypc. You cannot win a football game with those #'s. Never.

If the DLine couldn't stop the run last night it's only going to get worse this week as they lost two more DLineman last night eventually being forced to move a DE to the tackle spot.

Starting defensive end Tony DeMartinis was helped off the field with a left leg injury in the first quarter of last night's 29-27 season-opening loss at Qualcomm Stadium. He did not return and was using crutches on the sideline. Head coach Chuck Long said afterward he might be out for the year. Additionally, freshman backup Jerome Long was carted back to the locker room in the fourth quarter with an ankle injury.

Lindey looked OK in the 2nd half once the jitters from his first career game action had passed. He went 15-25 for 232 yards and a couple TD's in the 2nd half. Still that might be the only positive thing that happened for the Aztecs.

So. Utah @ AFA

Haven't seen it. Don't think there was any broadcast of it. SUU hasn't won a game since 2006 so while 41-7 looks pretty it was merely a scrimmage. Shea Smith did enough to secure the starting job and temporarily jettison any thoughts of a platoon. He's the QB with lesser upside and the ability to make fewer mistakes. The Falcons also had some fumble problems that will hurt them in the future if they continue.

Colorado vs CSU

Watching it right now as you should be. :)

Last edited:
JPicks, what's your take on the UNLV/Utah matchup? Opened @23, now 21.5. While UNLV didn't blow out USU, the game was never really in question. The defense bent, but didn't break, and the offense chugged along. I'm thinking the line is somewhat based off the Michigan game. Do you see this being a let down spot for Utah?

Not at all man. Last year the Rebels served the Utes with their ugliest loss in recent memory. It was 27-0 and the papers were filled with quotes from Frank Summers and Sanford about the Utes being afraid to tackle Summers. It was the talk of the town all week and I promise you that those quotes are on every locker. 100% no chance of a letdown here. I would have played the Utes anywhere short of 21, but last I saw the line it was 22. If it does dive below or to 21 it'll be on my list of plays this week.

Here's the Summers quote in fact:

"We watched the film today, and we just kind of laughed at all the people that dived at my ankles after a while," Summers said. "People were just throwing themselves in front of me."

Thanks for that JPicks. It's off the lean list now. Surprising to find that UNLV was only a 7pt dog LY.

Utah was 1-2 minus their starting QB, starting RB, best WR, and their all conference LT. They had just blown out #11 UCLA 44-6 and were 100% primed for a letdown. UNLV on the other hand was also 1-2 and had played #5 Wisconsin very strong at home losing by 5 as a 25 point dog.

Of course I'm pretty sure that I lost money on the Utes in that one, so I also thought the line was a little low.

Injury Notes as they come in. Don't expect alot of them until Tuesday.

Utah

Defensive tackle Kenape Eliapo suffered a foot injury in the Michigan game and will be out 6-8 weeks . . . Safety Robert Johnson (hamstring) and quarterback Corbin Louks (shoulder) are questionable for the UNLV game

UNM

Still no word on Porterie. Had an MRI yesterday, but no details have been anounced. Just got an update:

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Lobo fans can stop holding their breath; junior starting quarterback Donovan Porterie is expected to return to practice Monday.
"The initial diagnosis is that it's not bad and that he'll be able to next Saturday," Lobo Head Coach Rocky Long said of his quarterback.
Porterie injured his neck in the second quarter of Saturday's game against TCU. X-rays and a subsequent MRI haven't turned up anything troubling.
In the locker room Saturday evening Porterie said he felt 95 percent and that he should be back for next week's game.

BYU

Offensive lineman Ray Feinga left the game in the first half with a sprained ankle, but returned for the second half.
Receiver Michael Reed took a vicious hit from Darrell Lloyd and left the game in the second quarter, but returned in the third and had a 26-yard reception.
Quarterback Max Hall took two big hits, including one that left him feeling "woozy." He said he was fine after the game, but BYU officials stopped some interviews that Hall was doing because he was feeling nauseous

TCU

Looks like Aaron Brown has been suspended 4 games by the school and not Gary Patterson. He'll be back for the OU game in week 5. All a rumor at this point, but it seems legit.

Safety Tejay Johnson went through Sunday’s walkthrough. Gary Patterson said Johnson underwent an MRI, but it showed only tendinitis in his right lower leg.

Senior linebacker Jason Phillips aggravated an unspecified injury that he suffered during camp and caused him to miss a few practices. Phillips did not participate in the walkthrough Sunday.

I'll write more about this later, but I watched a good chunk of the SLO/Aztec game on the local station in San Diego. The Aztecs line play on both sides of the ball is as bad as advertised (worst OL/DL in MWC according to Steele); SLO OL was pushing the Aztec DL in any direction they wanted. As JPicks mentioned, two more guys (that weren't that good to begin with) got hurt and they are almost starting a Junior College DL at this point. The back seven is adequate and LB Allen will make a pro roster next year.

The OL, despite a nice size advantage, got absolutely no push against guys they outweighed by close oto 50-60 lbs on average. They did protect Lindley fairly well. If there is a silver lining to losing to a 1-AA team (or whatever they call it), and I don't think there is, it was Lindley's improvement as the game wore on. This should be tempered by the fact it is SLO's defense which just isn't very good relatively speaking. It'll be a whole new ball of wax this wknd when they head to South Bend; realize ND is no great shakes but they will be better than LY and should have their way on both sides of the ball.

Wyoming/AFA Thoughts

Alot of unknowns for AFA. They rolled up a 1-AA team that hasn't won a game since 2006. I could care less what the score was as I consider it a scrimmage. They will be playing their 1st road game of the year against an above average defense in Wyoming. They're still w/out 7 of their top 8 rushers from last year, a 4 year starter at QB, top 3 receivers (Dekker is hurt). On defense they lost 4 of their top 5 tacklers from this year.

On Wyomings side they have a few things to work on. They did a great job of holding Ohio to 1.9 ypc on the ground and that will be key against the Falcons as they can run the ball up to 80% of the time. Theo Scott did a pretty good job of picking apart the Cowboys secondary, but I don't see that as being a risk in this game with AFA. On the offensive side of the ball there is still some work to do. I still think the Cowboys will have enough success to cover the small # here.

The biggest concern for a WYO backer would be the kickoff coverage. They gave up a kickoff return for a TD and it could have easily been two. Joe Glenn was adamant about the fact that he will have a minimum of 5 defensive starters on the unit this week word for it.

For those wondering this is the first 2 unit play of the year. I'd rate this one out as follows:

2 Units <= 4
1 Unit <=7
Lean from 7' to 10

I was shocked with a field goal. Look at it this way. If the Cowboys don't win this game you'll be out whatever you put down on the bet, but Joe Glenn will be out of a job.

Thanks for the thoughts horses. I read about that 50 pound difference in size between SDSU OL and it obviously amazes me that they only could muster 27 rushing yards. The fact that they lost really makes me nervous to bet against them with a 3 TD spread, but it honestly doesn't look like they have the bodies to compete in South Bend.

Thanks for the thoughts horses. I read about that 50 pound difference in size between SDSU OL and it obviously amazes me that they only could muster 27 rushing yards. The fact that they lost really makes me nervous to bet against them with a 3 TD spread, but it honestly doesn't look like they have the bodies to compete in South Bend.

Trust me...you couldn't be more right. I watched the entire game on Saturday, and while Lindley did look much better in the 2nd Half, there's no way our freshman QB alone is going to carry the team. SDSU won't be able to run, or stop the run. One dimensional, on the road in a hostile South Bend...I will be shocked if we don't lose by more than 4 TDs. We will be the worst team in the MWC this year.

Trust me...you couldn't be more right. I watched the entire game on Saturday, and while Lindley did look much better in the 2nd Half, there's no way our freshman QB alone is going to carry the team. SDSU won't be able to run, or stop the run. One dimensional, on the road in a hostile South Bend...I will be shocked if we don't lose by more than 4 TDs. We will be the worst team in the MWC this year.

Unfortunate for an Aztec fan. I can still see them hanging tough for a half. Last time they lost to Cal Poly at home they almost won as a 14' point dog @WYO. Little different situation here though.

JP nice thread..GL

Thank you sir.

NMU ML +120

Really like the plus money here on a game that I believe UNM to have a small overall advantage. Their ability to run the ball and stop the run seems to be better than A&M's. Both offensive lines are completely inexperienced which so no real advantage there. I don't see A&M throwing the ball on NMU's talanted secondary with two former QB's at WR leading the attack. Plenty of weaknesses for NMU as well. You wouldn't find me laying more than 2' points with them in this contest, but at plus money I'll take a shot. New Mexico is 8-2 SU after a loss during their last 2 years.

TCU

Looks like Aaron Brown has been suspended 4 games by the school and not Gary Patterson. He'll be back for the OU game in week 5. All a rumor at this point, but it seems legit.

this never ends ...

TCU

this never ends ...

The worst part is they won't even make an announcement about it. I heard Patterson on local radio today and he confirmed that he won't be playing this week, but gave no timetable or reason for it. He also said that Dalton will continue to run the ball more often than he'd like with Brown out. They need Turner to get healthy as it seems obvious that Patterson has no trust in the other backs.

southern utah coach on air force

“Air Force looked sharp. They had their way with us and were able to do just about whatever they wanted to do with
us offensively. The competed very hard as they always do and had an effort that they can be proud of. (Shea) Smith
is a good competitor and pretty much throughout the game he made plays.
“We were not as prepared as we could have been for Air Force’s option attack. I felt like that we they were in their
more traditional sets with two running backs our defense had the upper hand at times so I’m pleased with that
because we’ll be facing a lot more of that style of offense than the option.”

if southern utah felt like they had the advantage when air force was in non-option looks then i think it is safe to not fear that passing game against the wyoming defense. . It also means that southern utah likely hardly prepared for the option so those stats from that game might be even more skewed than just the quality of opponent. wyoming rush defense nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
Great find Kyle. I agree that it's likely that they didn't spend much time working on the triple option when they haven't won since '06 and they were never going to win this game. This is the same team that lost to Northern Iowa last year in one of their last games 44-10. Somebody else can drool over AFA stats from last week as it won't be me. Beyond how week I felt they were coming in to fall camp they lost a starting DLineman, their best returning receiver (who is a TE) and they guy they planned on starting as their Z reciever (Chad Hall's old position).

Some Utah injury notes while they're fresh in my head:

RG (2nd Team MWC 07) Zane Beadles is out for UNLV
QB Corbin Louks out with seperated shoulder. Backdoor seems more possilbe with a 3rd string QB trying to wrap things up.
DT Isley Filliago is out 6-8 weeks. He also didn't play in the 2nd half @MICH.
FS Robert Johnson is ques. with a hamstring problem.

So a few injuries for the Utes, the biggest being Zane Beadles being out as the Rebels should try to copy the Wolverines and bring pressure @ Johnson.

Some more news while I'm here:

AFA

Big news as Eric Herbort is likely leaving the team. He was in a battle with Shea Smith to be the starter and the Falcons were more than likely going to go with a two QB rotation. News today has Herbort leaning heavily towards leaving the team. If this happens, Smith will be backed up by a true freshman in Tim Jefferson. The Falcons continue to get younger by the week.

CSU

Strong-side linebacker Mychal Sisson, a redshirt freshman, had a
protective boot on his left ankle, and weak-side guard Shelley Smith
wore a similar boot on his injured right ankle. Coach Steve Fairchild
said Sisson was “questionable” for Saturday’s game. Smith, he said,
was “day to day.”

UNM

Heard an interesting not about the TCU/NM game. TCU averaged less than 2 yards a carry when the tailback took the handoff. Donovon Portiere will play. Rocky Long is more than pissed about his punter after he had punts of 26 and 7 yards.

SDSU

Wow. This is brutal.

Chuck Long said yesterday that SDSU may be forced to employ linebackers at defensive line spots when the Aztecs visit South Bend, Ind., on Saturday in Notre Dame's season opener.

The Irish average 315 pounds across the offensive front. In last week's season-opening loss to Cal Poly, the Aztecs' defensive line averaged 270. Of course, that was before starting defensive end Tony DeMartinis was lost for the season with torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. It also was before true freshman defensive tackle Jerome Long and sophomore defensive end Eric Ikonne suffered ankle sprains, junior defensive end Ryan Williams endured a concussion and sophomore nose tackle Ernie Lawson aggravated a lingering foot injury.

UNLV

The playing status of UNLV cornerback Quinton Pointer came down to a game-day decision against Utah State, but coaches hope to know his availability sooner for Saturday's game at Utah.
Because of a dislocated left elbow, Pointer did not play in the Rebels' season-opening 27-17 victory Saturday. Coach Mike Sanford said he might know by Wednesday whether Pointer will play in the 5 p.m. PDT game against the Utes

WYO

BUMPS AND BRUISES: UW starters Chris Sundberg, David Leonard and Quincy Rogers all were held out of practice.

Sundberg has regularly been rested to protect his surgically-repaired knee, Leonard said he felt fine and would practice today and Rogers also hoped to return this afternoon.

How's the QB for Utah? While watching the Michigan game I noticed after he was drilled late in the 4th he got up VERY slowly.

JPicks thank you for talking me off ND 1st half, great thread as always

Thanks ETG. Go Cocks (yep sounds Yag even when it's typed) and go Irish. Hope the whole game bet works out better than the 1st.

How's the QB for Utah? While watching the Michigan game I noticed after he was drilled late in the 4th he got up VERY slowly.

The Utah QB is superman. Need more info? Seriously he's not hurt, hasn't missed a practice, hasn't missed anything. I know you're hoping he is though after reading your thread. Not sure what to tell you. Just bet the Rebels if you like them so match.

Herbort Leaves Team

September 4th, 2008, 12:12 am · 3 Comments · posted by Jake Schaller

It’s official. Junior quarterback Eric Herbort no longer is playing for Air Force.

Falcons coach Troy Calhoun said Wednesday evening that Herbort, an electrical engineering major, wants to concentrate on academics so he can secure a graduate school scholarship directly out of the academy. But the coach acknowledged Herbort was “disappointed” with his increasingly diminished role on the field.

Herbort began the preseason listed as the Falcons’ starting quarterback but was passed on the depth chart by senior Shea Smith. Calhoun had said both quarterbacks would play in last Saturday’s opener against Southern Utah, but Herbort played only one snap in the first half – he ran for 11 yards – and then watched as freshman Tim Jefferson played the Falcons’ final possession of the game in relief of Smith.

Then on Monday Jefferson was listed with Herbort as a co-backup to Smith, and at practice the freshman got nearly all the snaps with the Falcons’ second-team offense. Herbort did not practice Tuesday or Wednesday.

SDSU

SDSU has 10 injured players on the defensive line, leading to two freshmen working with the first team yesterday: J.J. Autele and Eron Moses

Back