MWC Bowl Thread

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
First off I'm using a completely new unit system for the Bowl games. If anybody reads my NBA threads and thinks that it's the same game for me in CFB it's NOT. CFB units are much lower as I don't have nearly the experience in CFB as the NBA. Using a 1-5 unit system for the Bowls and a 4 unit play is the same as a regular NBA unit. Just want to get that out there so nobody is confused. Probably going to play every bowl game or a large majority of them this year as I did incredibly well last year and didn't post any of them. Actually won the Bookmaker bowl contest and 2500 as the prize. Owe a big thanks to SportsNut for helping me through that as he gave me some good advice on games I was clueless about. So off of that I'm guessing I'll suck this year.

Will do w/ups for all the MWC games and chime in wherever else I feel like I can help.

Plays locked in:

TCU -2 5 Units -5.50 Units
Colorado State +3 3 Units +3.00 Units
Byu/Arizona Over 59 2 Units -2.20 Units
So. Miss +4.5 1 Unit ML +160 1 Unit +2.60 Units
Notre Dame -2.5 2 units +2.00 Units
FAU +7.5/Under 69.5 Parlayed 1 Unit to win 2.6 Units +2.60 Units
WVU/UNC 2nd Half Under 26.5 Even 2 Units +2.00 Units
Florida State -6.5 2 Units +2.00 Units
Miami+10/Under51 2 Units to win 5.2 units +5.20 Units
La. Tech -2.5 2 Units +2.00 Units
Northwestern +14 2 Units +2.00 Units

9-2 +15.70 Units

Maryland +3 2.00 Units
Oregon +3 2.00 Units
Georgia Tech -4 2 Units
Florida -3 2 Units
Utah +11 2 Units (homer alert)

Going to edit the main window so that I can keep track of all the bowl plays, but I'll have a new post for any play.

Last edited:
Sorry if I clogged the tread but this just stood out ......

Hawaii -2 vs ND :seeya:and USF -13.5 vs anyone ..??

Like ND ...

NC State +7

Missouri -13.5

Maryland +1

Houston -3

BC -4

Kansas -10 and over 57

Nebraska +3

ECU -2.5 depending on Kentuckys health

Ball State and Tulsa Over 77 maybe Ball State -2.5

What stuck out at 1st glance. Obviously I was wrong on my Boise being favored guessestimate...:cheers:

LAS VEGAS BOWL SAM BOYD STADIUM - LAS VEGAS, NV
5:00 PM
207 BYU +3½-110 o62-110
208 ARIZONA U -3½-110 u62-110

POINSETTA BOWL / QUALCOMM STADIUM- SAN DIEGO, CA
211 TCU -2-110 o44½-110
212 BOISE ST +2-110 u44½-110

NEW MEXICO BOWL UNIVERSITY STADIUM - ALBUQUERQUE, NM
11:30 AM
203 FRESNO ST -3½-110 o60-110
204 COLORADO ST +3½-110 u60-110

ARMED FORCES BOWL AMON G. CARTER STADIUM - FORT WORTH, TX
9:00 AM
235 AIR FORCE +3-110 o64-110
236 HOUSTON U -3-110 u64-110

SUGAR BOWL LOUISIANA SUPERDOME - NEW ORLEANS, LA
5:15 PM
259 UTAH +10½-110 o44½-110
260 ALABAMA -10½-110 u44½-110

To funny.

Really surprised to see BYU open as a dog. Need to look at AZ some more evidently.

About what I expected had Zona as small fav but never came up with a formal number figured bewteen -1.5 and -4.5 off the top of my head . :shake:

man, what a SHITTY game that new mexico bowl is. neither of those teams have done anything to deserve to be in a bowl (especially csu, no offense to your conference). i guess i would lean fresno, but i really don't give a shit haha.

i'm already on utah and will be on the ml when it comes out...doubt an unmotivated bama scores much.

houston is another extremely overrated team imo. i like air force quite a bit.

tcu will be one of my biggest plays of the bowl season for sure. waiting for it to come out at the greek. line should be a td and i'd still like them at 7. boise's entire offense is built around running the football unlike previous years. not happening. this is going to be a murder

will be on byu as well and will likely fade every pac10 team

CSU has done nothing to deserve a bowl game, but keep in mind how shitty they were last year and how excited they will be to get back to a bowl game. They used to be the TCU in the MWC before TCU showed up. Always at the top of the standings with Utah and BYU.

I do think the MWC is alot stronger than what the lines are giving them credit for. Can't argue with the Utah/Bama line, but the rest seem short to me. MWC homer? maybe, but they did have the best OOC record this year vs BCS conferences.

JPicks,

I had BYU as a short fav. I don't like their team but there is quite a bit of variance in my -3 and the +3.5 I'm showing.. Would love your thoughts as we get closer

LAS VEGAS BOWL SAM BOYD STADIUM - LAS VEGAS, NV
207 BYU +3½-110 o62-110
208 ARIZONA U -3½-110 u62-110

POINSETTA BOWL / QUALCOMM STADIUM- SAN DIEGO, CA
211 TCU -2-110 o44½-110
212 BOISE ST +2-110 u44½-110

NEW MEXICO BOWL UNIVERSITY STADIUM - ALBUQUERQUE, NM
11:30 AM
203 FRESNO ST -3½-110 o60-110
204 COLORADO ST +3½-110 u60-110

ARMED FORCES BOWL AMON G. CARTER STADIUM - FORT WORTH, TX
9:00 AM
235 AIR FORCE +3-110 o64-110
236 HOUSTON U -3-110 u64-110

SUGAR BOWL LOUISIANA SUPERDOME - NEW ORLEANS, LA
5:15 PM
259 UTAH +10½-110 o44½-110
260 ALABAMA -10½-110 u44½-110

Sticking to the designated topic of the thread ...

Houston -3 : Home state game and revenge . AF played them earlier in the game that was moved to a different venue because of the impending Hurricane . Doubt AF beats them twice as they really started quick and suprised some people before returning to medicority.

Bama -10 : Motivation angle so overrated and misused. Just like the DEFENSE angle in the Bama game vs Florida .... You reallythink Saban is going to have his kids not ready ? Alabama was a very solid team and nice story but they were pretenders all along . Said it before they faced Florida minus Harvin and will emphasize it again. If this team thought they were Nat Championship material they watched to much ESPN. They played no one !!!! Georgia is the SEC version of Missouri . Loads of talent that didnt come together for whatever reason ....Utah barely managed to beat the two best teams it faced TCU and Oregon State despite having home field and did enough to just win late ....Maybe I am rong but think BAMA just steamrolls this team .......

Like TCU as well but feel lost guessing the line would be a TD from where it is the other way with Boise favored....

BYU like UTAH was a fraud and have to dig more into Zona but lean that way ...

Lean Col State . They have to be motivated to show well because being in any BOWL should be a huge honor and discredit to the Bowl system in my eyes but that should be MOTIVATION . The show them we belong type. Fresno was talking BCS now that to me is the UNmotivated scenario you have to be caustious of . Fresno folded along time ago......Col State ML looks tasty ...Fresno cant stop the run but cant recall how well CSU runs its though recall inconsistent QB play but a solid defense unlike Fresno's....... :shake:

Sorry for the 1st useless post ...

JPicks,

I had BYU as a short fav. I don't like their team but there is quite a bit of variance in my -3 and the +3.5 I'm showing.. Would love your thoughts as we get closer

Tough game on the surface ...

Forgot Zona lost early @ NM with Porterie at QB but BYU shit the bed down the stretch going 1-7 ATS L8 only winning and covering @ AF ......

Now that I look closer though might have to lean +3.5 ....really a tossup it seems as Zona didnt have many good wins but was always competitive which made them seem better in my mind then they actually were:shake:

very true though nut and jpicks on csu/fresno...fresno has been vastly overrated all year and just isn't a very good football team. csu should be motivated to the max; but i'm just not sure they are good enough even if they are...

i forgot all about the venue switch in that houston/af game...thanks nut

nut, just wondering why in the world you had boise favored by more than a fg...that is shocking to me

Not really what I had more what I expected. I just saw Boise get bigger and bigger lines as the season progressed and thought they would install Boise as the fav . No research or science behind it just an off the top of my head comment I made to JPicks yesterday . Had the fact that TCU was lined cheaply at home vs BYU and then lost basically a PK em game @ Utah in my head . Was basically thinking in my head Bosie better then the Utah and BYU ..hence why I exepected Boise to be favored ....

:shake:

There might have been 1000 fans who watched that AFA/Houston game earlier this year but that would be on the very high end. 50 mph winds and rain coming down sideways. If I remember right AFA didn't complete a pass that game. They do have a new QB and RB since that game that has given their offense a bit more punch.

thank you nut, i see boise as pretty overrated myself...i think if they played in the mwc they'd have 3 losses

Houston had this terrible habit of getting behind by halftime and having to dominant the 2nd H to win . I think by the end of the year that started to really ware on them some . Every game is like extra effort . I think the time off will do them well. Not sure about AF even with teh switches because they didnt really do much down the stretch and that defense started playing worse which really is what helped them early on. If I am Houston I would be saying to myself the only reason AF is in a blow , let alone rematching us is the fact they beat us by 3 poinst early on in the season.....thats me though.

Seeing the AF attack should help the defense and the Houston offense just needs to limit turnovers and TOD's IMO .....

Not a huge fan of Boise either like I said just off the top of my head . Its certainly far from certain saying Boise is as good or better then Utah or BYU holds any merit when I actually look closer . Just the general perception I had .....

Col State
TCU
Bama
BYU
Houston

looks like my early leans and potential plays:shake:

One more game I'd like to discuss with you at some point is Nevada/Maryland. Not much line variance between my line and the posted line but I have a strong lean to nevada in this one. Especially if there is a chance of cold/wind which would help neutralize Nevada's paper thin secondary..

I know they are WAC not MWC, I just figured you may have seen more of their games regionally than I would have seen in Atlanta..

CrimsonK -- I'll see what I can do on that one. Only saw two Nevada games this year though. Have to like Nevada based on motivation. Who on the Terps wants to play in Boise for a bowl game, plus Nevada has a bit more familiarity playing on the smurf turf. And it will be cold and windy.

Added my first two plays and updated the first thread:

TCU -2 5 Units
Florida -3 2 Units

BroadwayJ, I can't understand why you and some others think 'Bama will be unmotivated in this game. I disagree wholeheartedly and think the coaching angle (and subsequent mismatch) is huge in this game. I think 'Bama rolls and am sitting here wondering how Utah is gonna get to double digits in this one.

I think Bama will be motivated as well. They've come along way in the last decade to finally get back in a bowl game and from what I've talked to most of their fans they could care less who they're playing in the Sugar bowl and they are excited to be back. Obviously a no win for them being that everybody has wrote Utah off already, but that doesn't have anything to do with motivation. Saban will have his guys ready to play. The under is the most tempting play to me in this one.

i haent capped any game to completion but i think tcu will be my favorite bowl play of the year. in total agreement there jpicks.

i think saban wants a bcs win .... but i also thought ou would want fiesta revenge last year and they came out flatter than a pancake. if you look at the teams who had title dreams dashed they didnt really perform that great the following game this year. and it has historicallybeen a good angle i think. just think bama matches up nearly perfectly against utah.

You have to look at BAMA as taking baby steps. However, This year has been a giant leap of faith. They have come into every game prepared, much like the Rutgers team of 07. Just kept choping on their opponents. Before last week, Florida was being tauted as the best team in the nation. They proved it on the field, but not without a fight. Besides the obvious Ole Miss debacle, Florida had not been tested. They were pushed to the edge by a young and disciplined team. Bama has nothing to be ashamed of and still has everything to prove. The fans will be fired up to go back to Bamas old stomping grounds. It is only about a 3 hour drive in the old pick em up truck. Couple of Natty lights and you have yourself a party in the Nawlins. The "sugar is sweet" comments will be sprinkled all over T-town as they help the players erase the could have beens and help them focus on the task at hand.

TCU getting ready to move to -3. -15c on the -2.5 at Pinny right now. Grab them now if you like em.

Thanks Pags.

Added CSU for 3 Units.

I'll hopefully get to some w/ups this weekend on the MWC games.

Thanks Pags.

Added CSU for 3 Units.

I'll hopefully get to some w/ups this weekend on the MWC games.

hey, jp...it's yanks.
what do u think about the total?
mentioned it briefly in rj's thread...but seen fresno play way too much thsi year, and they can't stop anything on defense.

hey, jp...it's yanks.
what do u think about the total?
mentioned it briefly in rj's thread...but seen fresno play way too much thsi year, and they can't stop anything on defense.

I'll get on the w/up tomorrow morning and I'll address your question there. I do lean over based on what I know at this point though.

Supposed to DUMP snow all weekend here so that means I'll be sitting by the old computer jamming out all the MWC bowl w/ups.

Colorado State vs. Fresno State

Going to start out by using Joe P's cheat sheet as I think it's a brilliant setup. Well brilliant might be strong but I do like it.

1. Coaching
This one is a bit tough for me. I've really liked everything I've seen from Fairchild this year, but preparing for a bowl game is going to be foreign to him. Pat Hill would certainly seem to have an advantage but is he looking for another job or is he putting full effort into preparing for a 6-6 MWC team? I'd give the Bulldogs a slight advantage here and will put Hill's coaching indecision in the motivation category.

2. Motivation
Far and away the biggest mismatch of the game. This is CSU's first bowl game in a few years and while many will blow this off as the worst bowl game out there, and it probably is, CSU is going to be motivated to have a strong showing. Looking at FSU's season I can't say that there is anything to be impressed by. One team has a first year head coach who is trying to build a program back up and another team has a coach who is trying to leave for greener pastures.

The game itself represents a turnaround for the program in the first season under Fairchild. The six wins were the most ever posted by a first-year CSU coach, making him the first coach to have his debut season end at a bowl game.

That, said senior safety Mike Pagnotta, is a major accomplishment.

“It really is. Sometimes it gets overlooked, guys thinking it’s not a big-time bowl, but it’s huge for us, it’s huge for our program,” he said. “We have a chance to win as many games this year as we have the two previous years. It would be big for the seniors to go out with a winning record, it’s great for the recruiting coming in next year. Coach Fairchild and those guys have done an amazing job this year. I take my hat off to them and all the guys who have been playing this year. It’s been a complete team effort.”

Colorado State has not finished with a winning record since 2003, and win over the Bulldogs would break that streak.

Down the stretch, the players talked about getting to a bowl game. Now the feeling is they want to close out this first season in style.

CSU is close to selling out their allotment of tickets for the game while Fresno has sold only one thousand tickets. Pretty obvious that one program is really excited about having the opportunity to play a bowl game while the other is rumbling about firing their coach and could care less about the bowl game.

Huge CSU advantage.

3. Who has key seniors?
For CSU their key seniors are QB Bill Farris, RB Gartell Johnson, RB Kyle Bell, TE Kory Sperry, and 5 defensive starters. None of these players have been around for a winning season and they'll have this team fired up to do just that. It's amazing that this program, that has had a rich winning tradition, has a group of 5th year seniors that have failed to have a winning season.

“We got here, but we’ve got to finish 7-6,” quarterback Billy Farris said. “We got here a few years ago at 6-6, but we lost. Since I’ve been here, we haven’t had a winning record. I want to make a change, and I know the other guys do, too.”

"I'm very excited, It's a good way to go out in your senior year and get a winning record, which we haven't had since I've been here," said Horinek. (SR MLB)"Coach Fairchild is going to do some great things around here, and hopefully we can get him started."

As for Fresno State they are led by senior QB Tom Brandstater who is a three year starer, 4 SR offensive lineman and TE Bear Pascoe who has started in 38 games for the Bulldogs. Defense is young with two defensive starters being seniors.

Advantage CSU as more of their team leaders are SR's.

4. Out of conference schedule
CSU:
Lost at neutral site vs COL
Beat Sacramento State by 3 at home
Beat Houston by 3 at home
Blown out @CAL by 35

Fresno State:
Won @Rutgers by 17
Lost to Wisconsin by 3 @home
Won @Toledo by 1
Won @UCLA by 5

Huge advantage for Bulldogs as they played a tougher schedule and had a better showing. I give the Rams a small pass on this as Fairchild was getting his coaching feet wet and the Rams didn't play their best football until later in the year.

5. Conference strength
Big advantage for CSU as the MWC is superior to the WAC imo. Rams had to face three teams in the top #16 of the BCS and played two of them very well losing by 3 to TCU and 3 to BYU. Fresno played one top team in conference play in BSU and lost by 51.

6. Like matchups
Both teams are very similar in what they do. Run the ball and be physical. No spread offenses here and no 3-4 defenses. This is probably my weakest are when it comes to the MWC teams as I don't know what kind of offenses/defenses run outside of the league. Guess I'm not a big enough CFB fan. I would say that Wyoming is probably a decent comp for FSU in that they just come at you with the running game and a straight 4-3 defense, but the Bulldogs have a better passing attack and their defense isn't nearly as stout as the Cowboys. Again I don't have a great answer for this one.

7. Better pass defense & better rushing offense
CSU was ranked 83rd in the nation in pass defense and 78th in rushing offense while Fresno State was 50th in pass defense and 35th in rushing offense. Another stat that isn't included in this question that I love to use is rushing defense and both of these teams are horrible at stopping the run as the Rams are 99th in the country while Fresno St. is 104th. Keep in mind that Fresno State also got to face the 118th, 116th, and 115th ranked rushing offenses and they are still 104th. The way Nevada and Boise St. ran on the Bulldogs I'll be surprised as hell if the Rams don't average 5 yards a carry and clear 200 yards on the ground. Still advantage Fresno State based on the #'s.

Injuries:
Ryan Mathews is a question mark for the Bulldogs. Started the season as the starter at RB but has missed the last 4 games.

CSU will have all three of their safties healthy for the first time since week 2. Sr. Mike Pagnotta has missed the last 4 games while jr. Klint Kubiak has missed 6 of the Rams 12 games and both were slated to be the starters this year. Pagnotta is one of the best run stoppers on the team has been considerably. With both safties out the Rams were starting an extremely young group in the secondary. They had rFr cornerbacks starting at safety @Wyo. So huge bump for them to get those guys back.

Final Thoughts:

After really diving in I think on paper this is a pretty even matchup. Should be a pretty physical game with both teams trying to establish the run. Being that the Rams have the better rush defense, especially with Pagnotta coming back, I see them winning that battle. I'm still amazed at the fact FSU has the 104th ranked rush defense after playing 3 of the 5 worst rushing teams in football. Really like the Rams in this one as they have the motivational edge and the rushing edge. Think they can control the ball and dominate this game. As for the total I'm of little help. Lean to the over more than likely, but think the side is to attractive to get involved with the total.

Wow, we both used the Joe P outline on the same game, at almost the same time and shared a lot of the same sentiments. Thanks for pulling up those quotes I was too lazy to look them up again right now. GL on the play, I lean CSU but was more comfortable playing the OVER. GL bro

BYU vs Arizona

1. Coaching
Interesting question right off the bat. While Bronco Mendenhall has done a nice job turning around the BYU program following Gary Crowton I'm not all that impressed with him Perfect example: Utah put six and seven guys into coverage versus the Cougars in the rivalry game and dared them to run. BYU had a ton of success on the ground running for 7 yards a carry, but were so dead set of being a passing team that they continued throwing the ball. Don't look at the score and think they had to throw the ball being they lost by 24 as they were down 7 heading into the 4th quarter. Actually the fault of the OC, but the head coach shares some responsibility. So while I think he's great for the program I'm not sold on him from and x's and o's standpoint.

Mike Stoops on the other side is still employed which I didn't assume would be the case at this point. Did he finally turn the corner this year? Hard to say but if Arizona can win this bowl game I'd say he'll have the program on the right track.

Have to give the advantage to BYU here only because they've gone 2-1 ATS and SU in their last three bowl games under Mendenhall while this is Stoops' first bowl game.

2. Motivation
Clear advantage to Arizona here and likely the reason I won't be playing BYU. This is BYU's 4th straight trip to the Las Vegas bowl and many fans were begging for a trip to the Poinsetta Bowl so they could have a new destination. Tickets sales are slower than normal as they would typically have sold out that place by now. The kicker is the Quest for Perfection shirts that the Cougars had printed up for their players. This wasn't a fan stunt, it was the actual team that printed them up. Talk about arrogance. BYU had this marked on the calendar as the year they were finally going to the BCS and it blew up in their face. A 4th straight trip to the Las Vegas bowl won't have them very excited.

Arizona on the other hand is going to their first bowl game in 10 years and you can expect alot of support from their fan base. The team is excited and so is the AZ community. A small other nugget for this one is that the U of A basketball team plays @UNLV for a noon tip off before this game. I think you'll see a ton of fans making the trip to catch both events.

Huge edge for AZ.

3. Who has key seniors?
Calling this a wash and moving on pretty quickly. Tuitama has been around the AZ program and seen action for 4 years while BYU has Hall, Collie and Unga who have plenty of experience leading their team as well. Not much of an advantage here for either side.

U of A played
Idaho and won by 70
Toledo and won by 25
@NM and lost by 8

BYU played
Northern Iowa and won by 24
@WAS and won by 1
UCLA and won by 59
@USU and won by 20

Nothing impressive outside of the Bruin ass kicking that was impressive out of all those games. The 1 point win @WAS raises the eyebrows as does the Wilcats loss to New Mexico. BYU 2-0 vs the Pac10 and Arizona 0-1 vs MWC. Advantage BYU because of that.

5. Conference strength
Advantage BYU. MWC was 7-1 vs the Pac10 this year with the one loss being the CSU game that I referenced in the CSU w/up. Rams won the yardage battle but got blown up everywhere else. The Wildcats lost to two teams, Stanford and OSU (at home), that were beaten by MWC teams.

6. Like matchups
Well BYU likes to run a 3-3-5 so I immediately think about the AZ/NM game. AZ didn't have as much of a problem with moving the ball in that game as they did with turnovers. I pretty much toss the UCLA games out as BYU had their 2nd team in half way through the 2nd quarter and when their offense did have the ball it was at the UCLA 30 yard line as they turned it over I believe 6 times in that game. Both teams put up 450 yards of offense against Washington but the Wilcats had the luxury of not having to face Lockler and his one man show on the other side.

Nothing really gained here other than the fact that it seems pretty likely that the team that turns over the ball less will win.

Without even looking up the stats I'll give this to the Wildcats. BYU pass defense is poor at best and they haven't run the ball this year like they did last year. They have a massive OL that will have multiple guys get drafted off of, but they are more of a passive group who do best at pass blocking vs. run blocking. They didn't allow a sack for the first 6 games of the year but did struggle with protection against TCU and Utah.

I don't think BYU will have a terribly hard time passing the ball on the Wilcats though. They'll bring their 7th ranked passing offense in against a team that has only faced one top 50 passing team (OSU). BYU still managed to get 275 yards through the air against TCU so I don't think the Wildcats have the ability to stop them. Hall threw for 300 yards and 2 TD's last year against the Wildcats and I'd expect more of the same in this one.

Arizona seems to be pretty well balanced and they should matchup quite well with the suspect BYU defense. Moving the ball isn't going to be an issue.

Final Thoughts
I have alot more respect for U of A after looking things over than I did before I got started. Have alot more respect for the line at this point. Have a very big lean towards the over right now as I think both teams get close to 400 yards of offense and I'd be shocked to see a blowout in either direction. Both teams are pretty bad at stopping people while in the red zone (48th BYU, 114 AZ) while AZ is damn good at scoring in the red zone (5th, 63rd AZ) so points shouldn't be left off of the scoreboard.

Lean Over 61

1. Coaching
Interesting question right off the bat. While Bronco Mendenhall has done a nice job turning around the BYU program following Gary Crowton I'm not all that impressed with him Perfect example: Utah put six and seven guys into coverage versus the Cougars in the rivalry game and dared them to run. BYU had a ton of success on the ground running for 7 yards a carry, but were so dead set of being a passing team that they continued throwing the ball. Don't look at the score and think they had to throw the ball being they lost by 24 as they were down 7 heading into the 4th quarter. Actually the fault of the OC, but the head coach shares some responsibility. So while I think he's great for the program I'm not sold on him from and x's and o's standpoint.

Mike Stoops on the other side is still employed which I didn't assume would be the case at this point. Did he finally turn the corner this year? Hard to say but if Arizona can win this bowl game I'd say he'll have the program on the right track.

Have to give the advantage to BYU here only because they've gone 2-1 ATS and SU in their last three bowl games under Mendenhall while this is Stoops' first bowl game.

2. Motivation
Clear advantage to Arizona here and likely the reason I won't be playing BYU. This is BYU's 4th straight trip to the Las Vegas bowl and many fans were begging for a trip to the Poinsetta Bowl so they could have a new destination. Tickets sales are slower than normal as they would typically have sold out that place by now. The kicker is the Quest for Perfection shirts that the Cougars had printed up for their players. This wasn't a fan stunt, it was the actual team that printed them up. Talk about arrogance. BYU had this marked on the calendar as the year they were finally going to the BCS and it blew up in their face. A 4th straight trip to the Las Vegas bowl won't have them very excited.

Arizona on the other hand is going to their first bowl game in 10 years and you can expect alot of support from their fan base. The team is excited and so is the AZ community. A small other nugget for this one is that the U of A basketball team plays @UNLV for a noon tip off before this game. I think you'll see a ton of fans making the trip to catch both events.

Huge edge for AZ.

3. Who has key seniors?
Calling this a wash and moving on pretty quickly. Tuitama has been around the AZ program and seen action for 4 years while BYU has Hall, Collie and Unga who have plenty of experience leading their team as well. Not much of an advantage here for either side.

U of A played
Idaho and won by 70
Toledo and won by 25
@NM and lost by 8

BYU played
Northern Iowa and won by 24
@WAS and won by 1
UCLA and won by 59
@USU and won by 20

Nothing impressive outside of the Bruin ass kicking that was impressive out of all those games. The 1 point win @WAS raises the eyebrows as does the Wilcats loss to New Mexico. BYU 2-0 vs the Pac10 and Arizona 0-1 vs MWC. Advantage BYU because of that.

5. Conference strength
Advantage BYU. MWC was 7-1 vs the Pac10 this year with the one loss being the CSU game that I referenced in the CSU w/up. Rams won the yardage battle but got blown up everywhere else. The Wildcats lost to two teams, Stanford and OSU (at home), that were beaten by MWC teams.

6. Like matchups
Well BYU likes to run a 3-3-5 so I immediately think about the AZ/NM game. AZ didn't have as much of a problem with moving the ball in that game as they did with turnovers. I pretty much toss the UCLA games out as BYU had their 2nd team in half way through the 2nd quarter and when their offense did have the ball it was at the UCLA 30 yard line as they turned it over I believe 6 times in that game. Both teams put up 450 yards of offense against Washington but the Wilcats had the luxury of not having to face Lockler and his one man show on the other side.

Nothing really gained here other than the fact that it seems pretty likely that the team that turns over the ball less will win.

Without even looking up the stats I'll give this to the Wildcats. BYU pass defense is poor at best and they haven't run the ball this year like they did last year. They have a massive OL that will have multiple guys get drafted off of, but they are more of a passive group who do best at pass blocking vs. run blocking. They didn't allow a sack for the first 6 games of the year but did struggle with protection against TCU and Utah.

I don't think BYU will have a terribly hard time passing the ball on the Wilcats though. They'll bring their 7th ranked passing offense in against a team that has only faced one top 50 passing team (OSU). BYU still managed to get 275 yards through the air against TCU so I don't think the Wildcats have the ability to stop them. Hall threw for 300 yards and 2 TD's last year against the Wildcats and I'd expect more of the same in this one.

Arizona seems to be pretty well balanced and they should matchup quite well with the suspect BYU defense. Moving the ball isn't going to be an issue.

Final Thoughts
I have alot more respect for U of A after looking things over than I did before I got started. Have alot more respect for the line at this point. Have a very big lean towards the over right now as I think both teams get close to 400 yards of offense and I'd be shocked to see a blowout in either direction. Both teams are pretty bad at stopping people while in the red zone (48th BYU, 114 AZ) while AZ is damn good at scoring in the red zone (5th, 63rd AZ) so points shouldn't be left off of the scoreboard.

Lean Over 61

Great stuff. I think I dropped the ball on the motivation angle as O State pointed out in my thread. I also lean OVER in this one as I just don't think I can bring myself to playing a side. Valid arguments can be made for both sides and that's risky business IMO. Gonna see what the line does, maybe it dips a bit lower if people are keying on UofA's defensive numbers which i don't feel are indicative of that unit's true colors. I think they are succeptible to giving up some points. Especially with their red zone defense allowing 28 scores in 30 trips. Hopefully VK can keep us up to date on the weather next week.

nice!!! i bought out of my byu wager and played this...better choice for those who lean byu imo because i don't think they won't be able to stop arizona on defense

what would be your lean on the csu total?

Nice win on Colorado State for you and the MWC. Was a G-Rated preview of what the MWC is gonna do the WAC on Tuesday. Johnson is a beast

Thanks guys. I can't believe that 900 yards of offense didn't get me the over in the Vegas bowl. Both offenses kept rolling snake eyes in the red zone and what pisses me off most about that is that I actually capped the red zone offenses and saw it as a strength. Not much more I can say about that one though.

Going to try and do the w/up for the TCU game, but it seems the whole forum is on them already so it's probably not worthwhile. This game is attracting so much attention around Utah with the MWC/WAC showdown that "watching" parties are popping up everywhere. Local sports bars are going to be packed with byu and utah fans both cheering on the same team. Talk about awkward. The bantering is at a frenzy between WAC and MWC people on the MWC forums. It's pretty damn funny.

Playing SMU +4.5 for 1 unit and +160 on the ML for a unit as well.

<OBJECT id=atff style="Z-INDEX: 100000; WIDTH: 1px; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 1px" classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

</OBJECT>TCU's top linebacker might be out of Poinsettia Bowl

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
<!-- AddThis Bookmark Button END -->
SAN DIEGO (AP) -TCU might play without standout linebacker Robert Henson in the Poinsettia Bowl Tuesday night when No. 11 TCU faces No. 9 Boise State.
Henson did not practice on Saturday and coach Gary Patterson indicated on Sunday there's a chance Henson won't be on the field against the Broncos.
When asked if Henson would play Patterson said, ''I don't know about that yet, but there isn't anything wrong with him.''
Henson, a senior from Longview, Texas, was a first-team all-Mountain West Conference selection this season, part of a TCU defense that ranked second in the country in total defense. Henson finished the season with 73 tackles and two interceptions in his first full season as a starter.

TCU will play without HensonSAN DIEGO — No. 11 TCU will be without its second-leading tackler when it faces No. 9 Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl Tuesday as senior linebacker Robert Henson did not make the trip to San Diego because of academics.

Redshirt freshman Tekerrein Cuba, a backup at weak safety, also didn’t travel to San Diego because his knee injury suffered during bowl preparations will require surgery. Redshirt freshman Greg McCoy, a backup cornerback, will miss the game with an injury although he did make the trip.

Henson, who earned first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors, had 73 tackles, nine tackles for loss, one sack, two interceptions and a forced fumble this season. But what the Horned Frogs might miss more than anything is his emotion and leadership.

With Henson gone, junior Daryl Washington will start and redshirt freshman Kris Gardner will be the backup. Washington was fourth on the team with 57 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, an interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery this season.

“Daryl Washington gives you the speed to run with their backs and everything else they do,” TCU coach Gary Patterson said. “We don’t lose any ground on that part.”

-- Mercedes Mayer

I prefer Washington to Henson actually .. think washington ends up playing on sundays... but this really hurts depth and we saw what utah did to tcu when they tired late.

I prefer Washington to Henson actually .. think washington ends up playing on sundays... but this really hurts depth and we saw what utah did to tcu when they tired late.

nice hits brother..what's your take on Henson being out?

As Kyle said Washington is plenty good. Probably more athletic, but he's more apt to getting burned by some of BSU's trick plays. Depth is the only place this one hurts.

Back