Monday Hoops with Handy

handy

Pretty much a regular
Hi there,

Glad you've decided to read and hopefully participate in Monday hoops with Handy!!

First off congrats to UCLA, Georgetown, Florida and Ohio State for making it to the Final Four. They've all just accomplished something I will never be able to do. That's make it to the Final Four.

Anyways, Monday has a bunch of NBA games on the card but I'm really searching to find something I really like but I have a game or two in mind which I might get down on.

Orlando at New York - Well does it look too easy on the home team or road team? I'm going to say the home team. Orlando stinks on the road but they're only getting 1 or 1.5. Hmm! Tough bet to make either way with any real confidence.

Denver at Detroit - Another tough game to deal with. Both teams will be playing 4 games in 5 nights. Lets not forget the Pistons are a little dinged up as are the Nuggets. No line as of yet but this one could be a blowout or a real close game. Neither would really surprise me.

Atlanta at Miami - Ever since I posted that the books needed to adjust their numbers on the Heat at the Heat's house the Heat have been garbage covering the number at home. How ironic the linesmakers kept putting out short numbers on the Heat during their 11 game home winning streak and now the numbers are longer and they can't even win a home game. I said this before and I will say it again the book makers don't think the Heat are that good without Wade. That's why their numbers were so short despite their success in the early going without Wade. Now they're just going to hang these large numbers until bettors change their opinions on the Heat. All I know is I wouldn't lay 10 points with a veteran Heat club playing without Mourning. I think this team is simply happy just to win the game. Blowing teams out is probably the last thing on their agenda. It takes too much energy and they're old. Nah, I don't want the Hawks either. I just will continue to say Buyer Beware with the Heat laying heavy chalk.

Toronto at Boston - Well you no longer have to worry about Boston mailing it in. They're almost cemented into having the second worse record in the league. I don't know what to make of this game simply because Toronto is banged up and who knows what Doc Rivers plans on doing with his lineups. Boston may not be tanking but they're certainly experimenting. I wouldn't go near the Celtics right now.

Portland at Chicago - All I know is I'm not betting this game. My head tells me the Bulls should handle this team but deep down I know the Bulls are a coin flip half the time. One night they look great and the next they look like one of the bottom teams in the league. Wait until the playoffs roll around and this team loses in the first round. I can see it coming a mile away.

Milwaukee at Houston - Well all I can say is the Rockets likely win. Lets not forget both teams played Sunday and the Rockets played at night while the Bucks did during the day. Have fun guessing the Rockets margin of victory.

Washington at Utah - If there is one team which I say be careful with right now it's the Utah Jazz. They're not playing very well. Yeah, they beat up on the Grizz the other night but who doesn't beat up on the Grizz. I know the Chicago Bulls. They lost to them last week. Washington is all banged up and I'm not sure of Jamison's status but I know he aggrivated his balky knee the other night at the end of the Clippers game. This is a game where I would think the home team wins and potentially could be ugly since this is the Wizards last game on the trip and the Jazz might come charging from the opening tip.

Memphis at Phoenix - Upset alert upset alert. Yup, that's right the Suns fans are going to be upset if Nash and company aren't on the floor in the fourth qtr. They will spend all their hard earned money to see the Suns play for three qtrs. This one could be real ugly.

San Antonio at Golden State - When I think of this game I can't help but think of what happened to the Mavs a couple weeks ago when they visited the Warriors. The situation was quite similar. The Mavs went into Staples Center and beat a short handed Lakers by about 40 points and then got hammered in a big time let down at Golden State. Well last night the Spurs went into Seattle and beat a Sonics team minus Ray Allen by 41 points. This is probably your classic let down situation at work tonight in Oakland. How odd that the Mavs were laying 8.5 at GS and the Spurs only 4.5. The Mavs may be better than the Spurs but not 4 pts on the road. Just goes to show you how inflated the line was when Dallas went into Oakland a couple weeks ago. Look the Warriors are terrible playing the second of a back to back but there is something about the good teams in this league which makes the Warriors play really well. I would think GS is live to win this game and they need this win a lot more than the Spurs do. Remember, the NBA is all about energy and effort and the Spurs will be playing their 3rd game in 4 days. Could this one be in the mail just like the Mavs did a couple weeks ago? Before they tip this one off take a look at the NBA logo on the Spurs uniforms. If anyone has it covered with a postage stamp run to your computer and hammer the Warriors.

Well that's it.

My early prediction is Georgetown beats OSU. The other game is very tough to call but I must say I'm not impressed with Florida. They've done enough to win but if they play vs. UCLA like they did vs. Purdue, Butler and Oregon they're going to get run out of the gym. I'm not a totals player but how can you not like the under in both of these games?

Good luck and as always life is dandy being a capper named Handy!!!!!!

Handy, over the weekend you had memphis as well to run ohio state out of the court?!?! Just kidding i am on g town as well, i like the mismatches green creates for them.

BOL hopefullly betting tommoorow is dandy if i ride your picks handy.

Frank,

I sure did have Memphis until halftime. Once I found out that my square buddy was on them too I bailed at the half. It's good to have square friends. You can make a lot of money fading their opinions and telling them you do so.

Every morning I call my square friends and ask them their opinions on a few games which I'm thinking about. The other day my buddy told me Oregon was a good bet. He was right it was. They just didn't cover in the end.

Yesterday I told my buddy if you're going to play a total in the UCLA game make sure you only bet the under. UCLA plays suffocating D. He says, nah I like the over. We made a friendly bet for some french fries. You know what I mean. That was the one total I bet all year in college hoops and I won.

Vitale just picked Gators to plus Ohio State. He picks winners about as well as ESPN's Hank Goldberg. Hoiw on earth can anyone be confident that Ohio State beats Georgetown? I can see the love for Florida simply because they're the defending champs but Georgetown just beat UNC at their own game. It was quite impressive.

The line is moving out. I see it at 4.5. I don't care. Very good chance San Antonio is wearing a postage stamp tonight. They have nothing to play for other than to keep healthy.

i like to go against steam moves if anything. i dont really buy into that reverse line movement mumbo jumbo any more. i put a game at a number and bet accordingly. i find myself much happier that way.

i just want the best number possible riding on my wager.

I buy into it if I really like the bet. That's it. Other than that it's nothing but fluff. You think you're a genius when you go with it and it wins.

When the MAvs went into GS a couple weeks ago the line opened at 7 and I think I bought it at 8.5 or 9. It was a joke. I wouldn't count on it going much higher than 5 but you never know. Everyone saw the Spurs destroy Seattle last night and that's fresh in bettors minds. I see the Wizards are shaping up as a big time public underdog bet. I don't know how anyone would back them at Salt Lake City on the last game of a west coast trip. That just sounds like a really bad bet. Talk about a game with a postage stamp.

Leaning on Golden State and Utah as well. Hopefully, the Spurs and the Wizards mail it in. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but your write-up certainly makes these leans more favorable.

Handy, solid breakdown of the Monday card. I'm surprised a bit you don't like the Magic here. I know it's almost like laying road chalk playing Magic on the road at pk, but the Knicks are severely injury hit, and I think Orlando use the situation to gain some ground (Eddy Curry (flu), Steve Francis (flu), Quentin Richardson and David Lee (both unexpected to play), some serious absences.

My other leans are GSW + points, Utah - Washington total looks a tad high (212), thinking about some other bets, waiting for the lines.

I'll hold you to that first round exit for the Bulls ;).

Satyr,

All I said was it looks too easy on the home team. I wasn't aware of the Knicks flu situation. The Knicks are a team which I've chosen not to pay much attention to this season. Whether that's a mistake or not there is nothing I can really do about it now. Orlando will have the best player on the floor in Dwight Howard. That's one thing I do know. It's hard to understand how the Magic have fallen so hard. That's why I'm terrified betting this team on the road. However, when they come to play and put it together they're very dangerous.

handy,

yea i am in agreement with you about g town. At my book the greek it has already moved two points to -1. Another reason for me is betting g town is ohio state shot very well and they typically do not shoot very well. So i like my chances in them not shooting well in back to back games. They haven't done it all season and i don't expect them to start now.

Well I guess the Golden State Warriors are the ones who put this one in the mail. Watch Thursday night they will find a way to beat the Suns getting about 6 or 7 points.

Well I guess the Golden State Warriors are the ones who put this one in the mail. Watch Thursday night they will find a way to beat the Suns getting about 6 or 7 points.

I don;t think they can beat me and my sisters.................:down:

Big Wave,

The NBA regular season is all about energy and effort. That's it. I think what many of us over looked was the fact the Warriors left it all on the court Sunday night in LA. They expended a shit load of energy and fell short again to the Lakers. I believe if they play the Spurs Tuesday night instead of Monday you see an entirely different game. That's why I believe the Suns game will be very close come Thursday. The playoffs are a different story but the regular season is bull shit half the time.

Big Wave,

The NBA regular season is all about energy and effort. That's it. I think what many of us over looked was the fact the Warriors left it all on the court Sunday night in LA. They expended a shit load of energy and fell short again to the Lakers. I believe if they play the Spurs Tuesday night instead of Monday you see an entirely different game. That's why I believe the Suns game will be very close come Thursday. The playoffs are a different story but the regular season is bull shit half the time.

So true...............
I got worried too when I saw some chatting about how GS has covered 6 straight ats and 10-1 the last 11 since Davis' playin' again..........
You don't often see an NBA team cover 7 straight ats!!!!

Read ya tomorrow handy man!!!! :cheers:

sup handy, I compketely agree with you on the Warriors on Phoenix. Phoenix will also have a look-ahead for revenge vs Denver the next night. Warriors off 2 losses and always excel on TNT. Question though, do you see this line moving in our favor? I'm also expecting to be gettin around 6.5 points, but do you think that I should take it once it comes out, or wait it out. They way I see it, it will be a sharp bet, but being it will be on TNT Thursday, will the public money on Suns be enough to push this line up? Basically, will you be taking it once it comes out, or wait for gametime ish?

I don't know what will happen with that number but my best guess is it won't go up.

The books already know well in advance who everyone is going to bet on. They going to set a number which they feel is correct and will adjust accordingly if need be. Expect Phoenix to be -5 or so in this game. Maybe a point higher but that's it. You have to be a real fool to take the Suns in this game.

Golden State last night was just a big mistake on my part. Looking back it just lines up with what happened to Phoenix and Dallas after they played that grueling matchup a couple weeks ago. It took both teams a few days to recover.

Back