Mock Draft III

frankiegotti

Power Boat Enthusiast
The final 5 days until the draft i don't know about you but i am getting excited.

Here it goes:

1. Oakland- Jamarcus Russell
2. Detroit- Joe Thomas
3. Cleveland- Brady Quinn
4. Tampa Bay- Calvin Johnson
5. Arizona- Gaines Adams
6. Washington- Laron Landry
7. Minnesota- Adrian Peterson
8. Atlanta- Jamal Anderson
9. Miami- Amobi Okoye
10. Houston- Levi Brown
11. San Fransisco- Adam Carriker
12. Buffalo- Patrick Willis
13. St. Louis- Ted Ginn Jr.
14. Carolina- Greg Olsen
15. Pittsburgh- Alan Branch
16. Green Bay- Marshaun Lynch
17. Jacksonville- Reggie Nelson
18. Cincinatti- Darelle Revis
19. Tennessee- Dwayne Bowe
20. Ny Giants- Chris Houston
21. Denver- Joe Staley
22. Dallas- Robert Meachem
23. Kansas City- Ben Grubbs
24. New England- Leon Hall
25. Ny Jets- Paul Povlosky
26. Phile- Brandon Merriweather
27. New Orleans- Aaron Ross
28. New England- Jarvis Moss
29. Baltimore- Tony Ugoh
30. San Diego- Jon Beason
31. Chicago- Charles Johnson
32. Indiapolis- Ryan Khalil

I will do one more mock on friday. Then :drinking:

Let's hear some comments.

I guess the Falcons and Texans made a trade but I still like my top 5.

- I don't think Matt Millen will take a left tackle at 2, I really see Joe Thomas going where he is needed the most... arizona
- If Quinn is there at 3, I agree the Brownies take him.
- I'd also say it's a lock that if CJ is there at 4 Gruden takes him
- Like I said, I see Thomas ending up in zona.
- The redskins need a pass rusher more than life itself. Logic would suggest one of the high ends ( gains adams or Anderson) but some people still think they might take a tackle ( Okoye or Branch). I think the skins tackels are fine ( Salavia is underrated and Griffen is good). they really need that end so look for Adams or Anderson.
- The vikings could go a number of different ways. If Quinn falls they have to take him because Jackson isn't ready for the NFL ( and probably never will be). Peterson wouldn't suprise me, but the need at WR has to be addressed. Would they take a Ginn this high? Maybe they reach for a Jarret or trade down? Maybe they address the defense with Laundry or a front 7 player? I think they could go a number of different ways.
- I really feel Trent Green will end up in Miami, and it could be in the next 7 days ( right before the draft). I've seen a lot of people link Okoye to Miami. What about a lineman like Levi Brown? What about trading up for down?
- Houston has some pieces together with that defense, adding another body to that D-Line might be the answer. Branch, Okoye or if one of the ends falls?
- I've seen Carrikers name mentioned a lot to SF. Wouldn't shock me if they went to the defensive side of the ball for Nolan.
- A lot of people like willis in Buffalo
- You know, Ginn would probably be a good fit in STL. I know they have needs on defense, but he would help keep a strength a strength. Not all coaches want to throw picks at their weaknesses, some teams like to keep being good at what their good at. The speedy ginn could play the role of Curtis for now, and would do well in those speed cuts on that turf in STL.
- Olsen would help open up that offense in carolina. Delhomme throws to SS way to much. Not saying he shouldn't it just happens.
- Branch to Pittbsurgh? With that 34 defense it would help to have a D-Lineman who could give them that push up front. Any concerns about his desire could be addressed by a firey young defensive coach.
- Everybody has lynch penciled in for GB, I wonder if anybody tries to trade with PITT to try and steal him ( maybe the Giants)?
- I would think Jacksonville would address the offense, but who knows. A lot of people have them looking safety or maybe Moss from UF.
- Some people have tennesse looking at a DB to help replace pacman, but I agree they want to get Vince a weapon at WR. Maybe Norm Chow has them take Jarret, or maybe they grab home grown talent in Robert Meachem. I'd think maybe Chow gets back Jarret and White from the old days.
- The Giants need either a CB or linebacker. I'd say they need a safety too, but I doubt they quit on Will Demps at this point. Houston is a possibility but so is Beason, Puslosney and timmons. They also could go for a tackle but I'd lean that they go grab and OLB. I don't think they quit on Webster/Mcquarters/Madison just yet. I'd guess Lawrence Timmons because Pierce is a smarter player ( like Poslusney), while they need to grab more athleticism at OLB. Beason might be a little raw so I say Timmons.
- Denver has to do something about their pass rush.
- A lot of people see Dallas grabbing a receiver. What about a defensive player?
- Grubbs to KC looks good. Maybe he can help rebuild that line. They could also use a receiver, and they always need defense. Grubbs would work with a still new coach in Herman edwards. If the coach was more on the hot seat they might go D, but for Herms conservative offense Grubbs looks good.
- New England really could go a number of different ways. What about poslusney ?
- I think PP will be gone by then
- Merriweather is a logical choice for Philly, sort of reminds you of them picking Dawkins about a decade ago. They also could go Corner.
- The saints need help with their back 7 on defense.
- The Pats will go for the BPA

Last edited by a moderator:
c-gold, What's up bro? Good stuff as usual and glad to see you finally make it over here.

I just still can't see myself if I owned the #1 pick taking an unproven QB who didn't do much in college. Hell LSU fans were calling for Flynn to be the starter before this past season started. I know all about his 10 inch hands and 85 yard bombs but I haven't seen enough intangibles to warrant that big a contract and more importantly passing on a once in a generation WR in Calvin Johnson.

What is this message about spam infractions I got about? I still don't "get" this site?

You can't advertise your blog in the main forums. That is what website promotions are for.

I've officially decided I want Joe Thomas in Cleveland. I also think he's going to be available.

If not him, believe it or not, I think I want Adrian Peterson, if you can believe that.

After that, trade the pick. Actually, if they want to trade the pick instead of drafting Peterson, I'm good with that, too.

And, of course, I want The Eraser in Philly.

Adrian Peterson is an enormous injury risk.

My question is, do you say that because of his running style or because of his college career?

Because if it's because of his running style I'd tend to agree with you because he's got some Eddie George to him and he needs to learn how to minimize taking big hits.

If it's because of his college career, I'm not as sold on that as others are because he had an ankle injury--these things happen and they almost always heal just fine--and he had the collarbone. Well, collarbone's break, and they heal and when they do they're usually stronger for it. It's not a Willis McGahee type knee thing, or something chronic, so that doesn't concern me as much.

I also like his attitude.

Frankly, I kind of like Brady Quinn's attitude, too, although I don't like all the politicking Brady's been doing over the last month.

It is because of his injury history AND running style. What percentage of games did he start and FINISH?

I wouldn't invest the #3 pick and a whole lot of money on the fungible position running back.

joe, i tend to agree with you because joe thomas is a work horse. He is a solid player that hopefully will challenge at teh LT spot during training camp. i really like adding him to line because it'll give charlie frye a chance. Many say he is horrible and he is not the future, well no one knows that b/c he was running for his life the past couple years. So if browns take thomas and frye gets protection and he still blows then a change is needed.

i actually would rather have brady quinn than adrian peterson. I say this because i think peterson will be injury prone in the NFL because of his running style, i mean their isn't much he can change being 6'2, i mean if he tries to get smaller too much he may sacrafice speed.

My argument for brady quinn is that he has not played with top tier talent. They got blown out in big games because i think they were mismatched. quinn's top reciever decided he wanted to go play baseball instead of football, that right there tell's you what kind of guys ND has at a skilled position.

Jemarcus Russell = the NFLs version of Affirmative Action.

Are you high right now? Seriously. If you are, frankly, I'm kind of jealous, I've sort of had a long day and mellowing out would be nice.

Anyhoo, when multiple NFL people have said that this guy would have arguably the single best arm in the league the moment he's drafted, it's hard to call it affirmative action. Not to mention the fact that to think any team that would seriously consider using the number one pick on the draft on anything but someone who might potentially be a Pro Bowler for many years to come, regardless of race, religion, or recreational weed usage, is out of their tree.

I worry about Russell because the rap on a lot of the LSU guys for the last few years is that "smart" is not something you associate with guys coming out of that program. At some positions that may not be such a worry, at QB it's a HUGE worry.

But the guy's a physical freak.

As for AD, I agree about the position, but you have to put it in context. The Browns still sting from passing on LT. And if you can get a guy like that, that's mid-to-high-20s in TDs every year. That's very, very tough to pass on.

I'm not an OK follower so much so I don't know his stats, but his attitude is growing on me and the Browns need a leader. I'd like it to be Frye, hell, I think Frye would like it to be Frye, but I'm not sure it's him, talent-wise or personality-wise.

My argument for brady quinn is that he has not played with top tier talent.

See, I don't think that holds because he played at ND. How much more of a top school can a guy be at?

I think the better argument, one that he's even started to hint at, is that their defense blows goats. Their defense was a nightmare, so if he wanted to win he had to look to put up 40.

Quinn's got a lot of things going for him, and him stepping up and benching at the combine was, I thought, impressive. It was Cutler-esque, and you want some of that brashness and leadership from your QB.

But the Browns so can't afford to f**k up this draft and Thomas, while not sexy, looks like the closest sure thing there is. And I love the fact that he'd rather go fishing with his dad than go to the dog and pony show in NY almost as much as I liked, when asked how he was preparing for the combine--as in, was he going to one of these special training schools--he said, 'nah, I'm just working out here at school.'

Hard worker, a guy who's just going to come in and be an anchor, I'll take that in a second over either of the QBs, no matter how good they are.

AP is a huge injury risk. I'd be weary of giving him all that money and using a #3 pick on the guy.

Russell has a strong arm... so did Patrick Ramsey
Russell is a physical freak... so was Kyle Bollier
Russell is a potential pro bowler... so is every other draft pick in the draft

Russell is also a guy that was barley a starter at the end of the year
Russell is also a junior who came out
Russell is also a guy who wasn't in the first round late in the year
Russell also lost big games ( but beat that Panzee ND defense)
Russell is also the guy who showed up at the combine 20 pounds out of shape and didn't work out

How come "mobility" is left out of this quarterback comparison? Quinn is white, and YES faster and more mobile than Russell. Not sure what Russell would bench, but I doubt he could outbench quinn.

Russell is bigger and can throw the rock further than quinn, but he's also younger, less mature, started less games, and doesn't show as good of leadership ( the auburn game anyone).

Comparing Quinn vs the LSU defense, isn't fair to compare Jemarcus Fumbelepepper to Notre Dames defense... What did Jemarcus do against Florida and Auburn in "big games"? How many "big games" has he won? Where was he in the national title game? How come he wasn't mentioned in the national media as a heisman candidate earlier in the year?

Sort of reminds me how Ryan Leaf shot up draft boards against a "boring" Peyton Manning who couldn't win big games.

Part of me thinks that if he goes to Oakland you may be right Clay. Because I know they don't want to throw him right in there, and they're talking about getting Culpepper to bridge the gap, but I have a feeling he'll be in there sooner than later and that team is such a mess. Now they're switching to zone blocking, which will take some time which means their guys will take some punishment.

If Quinn turns into a Matt Hasselback or a younger Jeff Garcia ( 49ers version), and Jermarcus turns into a Byron Fatfuck... It's a no brainer who to take. Then again, some other guy drafted later could be the best player in the draft...

Oh yeah, I can't say that Byron leftwhich and Ron Mexico stink. That would be unfair.

Russell has a strong arm... so did Patrick Ramsey
Russell is a physical freak... so was Kyle Bollier

Come on, CG, you can't compare Russell to these guys, these guys are 6'2", 220, and Russell is 6'6", 260.

He's a QB and he's 260?!?! That still boggles my mind. It's like Lorenzen out there only, you know, it's not all dougnuts.

Sorry, Jarred, I do root for you, you give fat kids hope.

I agree with you that he gets maybe too much credit for shredding ND, but it was a primetime game and that's what NFL guys want to see, make tough throws when the lights are brightest--and he made some great plays in that game.

I think mobility isn't brought up here because neither guy is all that mobile. Brady's more moblie than Jamarcus, and, I think has the potential to be more mobile for longer for two reasons. One, he's built better for mobility and, two, I think with Weis he's had more footwork coaching than Russell.

One thing that would worry me a great deal if I were a Raider fan is who's going to coach Russell if he goes to the Bay. Because if that team doesn't coach that guy up, if they just think that he's like Jeff George, some guy with a cannon and that doesn't need coaching, this kid's going to be a huge disappointment in my book.

He needs footwork coaching, I think, badly. You can't just have him drop back and throw it 60 yards, I don't think that is going to work. I think you need to coach him how to move around in the pocket.

Quinn, for me, has a different problem, I think he moves around in the pocket all right, and I think he'll get better, I'm just not convinced his decisions are all that great.

Really, part of me thinks this is just a down year for QBs and both these guys are getting sold to the world because that's all they've got this year.

That said, I'm notoriously s**tty as far as draft talent evaluation so watch both these guys turn out to be all world QBs.

Oh yeah, I can't say that Byron leftwhich and Ron Mexico stink. That would be unfair.

Nobody said that, you, my friend, are developing a complex.

And I don't think Lefty's all that bad. I do think that he, and Garrard, and Grey are all suffering from being under a defense-first coach who doesn't know much about QBs.

Same problem Cleveland's having, actually, and it's one reason even if Cleveland drafts a QB I'm not very confident in it because they don't have the coaching to help groom one into a solid NFL QB.

QB coaching is so underrated in this league it's frightening.

Hot rumor in Detroit is they are set in stone on CJ, fuck a trade.

Good. Gimmie Joe Thomas in a pumpkin helmet.

LOL..I like Joe Thomas too, I honestly don't care who Detroit takes except for maybe Brady Quinn. They have so many holes.

wonder what happened to the #2 pick for #4 and Simien Rice deal?

Detroit could be posturing with CJ in order to add even more value to the number 2 pick

that deal would kinda blow BAR...simeon rice is old as shit...Detroit wants a lot of picks.

that deal would kinda blow BAR...simeon rice is old as shit...Detroit wants a lot of picks.
I am in the middle on that..not for..not against..

either way though I still think its posturing on their part.

CJ is going to be the real deal...and that would do wonders in this Martz offense that was great last year. Problem is they would look like douchebags for grabbing a reciever and they have so many other holes..

that being said. This is a guy who can be a top-10 wideout ever IMO

On ESPN's SportsCenter Special, Todd McShay of ESPN Scouts Inc. reports that the Lions will take Calvin Johnson if they are unable to trade down. Here is the direct quote.

"I think the thing I got out of Detroit today from talking
medium_070424_large_calvin_johnson.jpg
AP PhotoMcShay says the Lions will take Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 overall pick if they can't trade down.
to people there is the fact that they have come to the consensus that Calvin Johnson is the No. 1 player on their board, and if stuck at No. 2 and can't trade they will take him.
"Now, their No. 1 priority is to trade out. I think Tampa bay is going to be very difficult to make a deal. If they can't get a deal done with Tampa, they'll look other places. Atlanta is very much involved in this. There are two other teams that are rumored to have involvement: the 49ers sitting at No. 11 and have eight picks in the first four rounds, then the Denver Broncos who have interest but they're not sure they have the ammunition.
"But the 49ers are the most interesting of them; obviously with the young talent with Alex Smith at quarterback, Frank Gore at running back, Vernon Davis at tight end, adding Calvin Johnson would be a remarkable young offense."

Mel Kiper Jr., in a three way split screen that also included Chris Mortensen, openly wondered about the Lions' quarterback situation, and when they're going to address that need. (Methinks we'll be seeing a lot of Mel complaining about the Lions on the ESPN draft day coverage if they take anything other than a quarterback.) Mortensen responded with this:

"As far as what Mel mentioned, a quarterback, I think there are quarterbacks they really like in the second and third rounds. Mike Martz, their offensive coordinator, believes this is a good quarterback draft, actually, and that they can get quality guys for somebody to develop while Kitna continues to lead the team over the next year or two."
Personally, I'm not buying it. It's too close to the draft for this to suddenly bubble up to the top from an ESPN reporter. It smacks of "Too many people are picking us to draft Gaines Adams. Quick! Somebody call an ESPN reporter and tell them we really, really are going to take Calvin Johnson! That'll trick those guys into trading with us."

Is Johnson the Lions pick? Uh, not so fast

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 25, 2007 16:54PM

At least one member of the Detroit has announced to the world that he's absolutely certain that Calvin Johnson will be the Lions' pick at No. 2. He may very well be correct. Based on everything I heard at the Lions' press conference today, the Lions were certainly glowing about about Johnson and it would lead you to believe that's exactly who they're going to take.
The problem is that I don't necessarily believe everything I heard today.
Look, the Lions love Johnson -- every team does -- and he'll be tough to pass up, but there are a lot of things percolating now. I'm beginning to believe this draft isn't going to unfold anywhere close to what the experts currently believe. Details to come.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (19)
| | Permalink (Learn More)
<!-- -->Share: Reddit | Digg | del.icio.us | Google | Yahoo | What is this?

Redskins are anxious, but keep falling short

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 25, 2007 12:28PM

The Redskins are very anxious to move up to the No. 2 spot and draft receiver Calvin Johnson but they simply don't have enough ammunition to get it done. The most recent reports have a variety of packages that include veteran cornerback Shawn Springs and a first-round pick next year.
Two problems with that: While Springs' name came up in previous talks (the Dre Bly trade), it's a different situation now. The Lions were hoping to get whatever they could in that deal, but now they expect big-time compensation if they're going to move down to No. 6 (and possibly miss out on Gaines Adams to Arizona). In my opinion, Springs doesn't fit Detroit's defensive scheme because his run support and tackling abilities have diminished.
Also, Lions president Matt Millen wants to exhaust every possibility before he starts talking about picks in next year's draft. Millen wants picks this year because he wants additional players and also ammunition to trade up in later rounds.
The Lions want to move out of the No. 2 spot so bad that they'll consider everything, but I have to believe they can swing a better deal than this.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (14)

Lions can't trade down? Man, I just don't believe it

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 25, 2007 09:49AM

Most of you MLivers know how much I love conspiracy theories so maybe I'm going off the deep end here, but I just don't believe all the recent talk about how the Lions won't be able to trade out of the No. 2 pick (assuming Calvin Johnson is there).
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Tampa Bay Bucs were getting the word out that they're very happy at No. 4 because they need to drive the price down. Everybody knows how desperate the Lions are to get out of No. 2 so teams are trying to put them over the barrel.
When the Lions go on the clock Saturday, I think there are going to be several teams who will call about that pick. Some won't have enough ammo to move up, but others will. I've said all along that the Lions should take what they can from Tampa and do the deal and then draft Adams. But if the Bucs aren't giving up enough, then go back to No. 8 and deal with the Falcons -- who are under a lot of pressure to grab the hometown kid. Once the Lions get a lot of picks (which they will from Atlanta), they'll be all over the draft board, looking to move up and down in every round.
And there could be other teams lurking in the weeds. The Lions might not get everything they want but I still think they'll get offered enough to make it worth trading down. We'll see.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (14)

McCown trade could hinge on second-round pick

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 25, 2007 07:53AM

All the talk about the Josh McCown-to-Oakland trade has quieted down and there might be a reason for it. One, the Raiders might be more interested in picking up Daunte Culpepper, but I don't believe that. Culpepper is damaged goods and if Oakland really wants a guy to step in and play now while JaMarcus Russell gets ready, I think McCown makes more sense.
The other reason the talks might have slowed down -- and the Raiders are considering Culpepper as a second option -- is because the Lions might have a contingency arrangement worked out. There's no question the Lions will consider a quarterback in the second round and there are several candidates -- Drew Stanton, John Beck and Trent Edwards among them.
If the Lions do take a quarterback, they could immediately deal McCown to Oakland and still get a pick to use in this draft. (The Lions are not going to carry four quarterbacks on the roster and I don't think Dan Orlovsky is going anywhere.)
If the Lions, though, don't see a guy they want or believe there's a better option at another position -- most likely at middle linebacker -- then they'll hang on to McCown and address the quarterback position next year.
(By the way, one more reason I think the Lions are considering Gaines Adams over Calvin Johnson at No. 2 -- if they can't trade down -- is because the Lions want a quarterback in the second round and they don't want to use their top two picks on offense. If the Lions take Johnson, I think they'll lean more toward a middle linebacker or defensive end in the second round.)

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (16)

Johnson at top of Lions draft board? So what?

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 25, 2007 07:26AM

There is at least one report that Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson is at the top of the Lions' draft board and, although I can't confirm that, I wouldn't dispute it either. Being at the top of the Lions' board is significant, but it doesn't mean that's who Detroit will select with the No. 2 overall pick.
If the Lions can't trade down, I think there's going to be a lot of discussion between Johnson and Clemson DE Gaines Adams and, at this point, there's no telling who Detroit will take. However, my feeling is that it's going to be Adams. There are two reasons for this:
--- Being the top-rated player on the board doesn't mean you're the best fit for the team. In a recent story, the highly respected Bob McGinn said every personnel person he talked to said Johnson was the best player on the board. But the Raiders aren't going to take him. Why? Because they need a quarterback. If Johnson falls to No. 3, the Browns aren't going to take him either. Why? Because they have more pressing needs at quarterback, running back and offensive line. Think about it. Johnson is the top-ranked prospect but the Browns will consider three other players (Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas) first. None of the draft "experts'' are saying those two teams are crazy for passing on Johnson.
That's not a knock on Johnson, that's the reality of the NFL. You have to look at the draft at how it's going to help your team. This is no longer the era of the "best player available.'' It's the "best cornerback available'' or "best defensive end available'' or whatever meets your most pressing needs.
Which brings me to my next point ...
--- If we were talking about the Ravens or Eagles or some 3-4 defense, I would gladly accept the premise that Johnson is more valuable than Adams. Those teams have different defensive philosophies and get pressure on the quarterback from a lot of sources in a lot of different ways.
In the Lions' one-gap system, though, it's absolutely imperative that they get a strong and consistent pass rush out of their four defensive linemen. They'll blitz on occasion, but the staple of the defense -- the bedrock of the entire scheme -- is that you get pressure from the front four.
The Lions are fine at tackle, but they have issues at the all-important end position. They've signed Dewayne White who should be a good addition and they're counting on Kalimba Edwards to finally see the light. Even if Edwards steps up, the Lions will still need a third defensive end because of the rotation system teams use these days.
Adams is the best pass rusher in the draft and the Lions have a chance to take him. They're not going to get that quality in the second round or beyond. Head coach Rod Marinelli has said from the start that they need to improve the speed on the perimeter of the defense -- defensive end and cornerback -- and now he has an opportunity to address it.
Look, I don't know who the Lions are going to draft. You can make a great case for either player but I think Marinelli came into this thing with a plan and I believe Adams -- not Johnson -- is the player who can help Marinelli fulfill that plan a lot quicker.
One thing is for certain: That 15-minute period shortly after noon on Saturday is going to be filled with more drama than most Super Bowls.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (24)

Lions draft board finished; mock drafts to begin

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 23, 2007 19:59PM

The Lions have concluded their organizational meetings on all the college players and the draft board is essentially finished. The team will spend the next couple of days doing some minor tweaking and reconfirming some information and research, but the heavy lifting has been completed.
Beginning on Thursday, the team will begin putting together a series of mock drafts, but they're not done quite the same way that guys like Mel Kiper do it. While the Lions do a lot of research on what other teams might be looking for in the first round, they're really focusing on their own draft board and how they'll react depending on where they end up in each round.
As the draft is in progress, the Lions will constantly be re-assessing their situation and draft board, deciding whether to trade up (and how far), whether to stand pat or even whether to bail out of the pick and move down. It's a constant process that changes as every pick comes off the board.
The Lions have made some of their best moves when moving up and down the board (getting players like Shaun Rogers, Roy Williams and Kevin Jones) but even solid thinking and common sense can backfire.
For instance, back in 2000, the Lions had the 20th overall pick in the first round and they had their eye on running back Shaun Alexander. The Lions didn't think they'd have to trade up because the team at No. 19 -- the Seattle Seahawks -- had just re-signed veteran Ricky Watters. The Lions had James Stewart under contract so they weren't worried that anybody would leapfrog them and take Alexander because it appeared the Lions wouldn't have an interest. Also, the Lions were looking at Alexander as a down-the-road prospect and didn't want to spend anything extra to move up.
The Seahawks took Alexander and the Lions ended up with ... drumroll, please ... Stockar McDougle. Stewart spent three more years with the Lions, rushing for more than 1,000 yards twice in that span, while McDougle was a huge disappointment.
Alexander, meanwhile, eventually set an NFL record for rushing touchdowns, was named the league's Most Valuable Player and helped lead the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (18)

About Samardzija: MLivers are right, just a little early

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 23, 2007 19:45PM

Some MLive posters have discussed the possibility of the Lions using their final pick in the seventh round -- Mr. Irrelevant -- on Notre Dame receiver Jeff Samardzija.
Samardzija is currently in the Chicago Cubs' farm system and the thinking is that the Lions could do what the Houston Texans did -- draft baseball player Drew Henson and then wait for him to switch back to football. The Texans, who had David Carr, didn't need Henson and eventually traded him to the Cowboys. Houston drafted Henson in the sixth round and then dealt him for a third-rounder less than a year later so the gamble paid off.
The problem with the Lions taking Samardzija is that they would only keep his rights for one year and then, if he's not signed by the Lions, Samardzija would be eligible for the NFL draft again next season. The Texans didn't draft Henson until it became clear that Henson wasn't going to make it in baseball and made it known that he'd eventually welcome a shot at football.
Even if Samardzija struggles in his first season in the minors, it's unlikely the Cubs will give up on him. They made him a fifth-round draft pick and paid him a signing bonus of $2.5 million so they're going to give the kid some time to develop.
It's a situation worth keeping an eye on in a couple of years -- not now.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (3)

Look for Lions to get ripped if they trade with Bucs

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 23, 2007 19:32PM

Here's a situation I can see unfolding Saturday afternoon: The Raiders take Russell and the Lions begin fielding a ton of offers from teams who want to trade up to No. 2 and take Calvin Johnson.
A lot of teams, like the Broncos, are way back in the draft and are going to offer all kinds of packages but, in the end, the Lions will still be picking too far down. Even with the Atlanta Falcons at No. 8, the Lions would be out of range to draft Clemson DE Gaines Adams -- a guy the Detroit defense desperately needs.
So here's what I can see happening -- the Lions will take slightly LESS in compensation and do the deal with Tampa Bay at No. 4. Why? Because whatever the Lions can get from the Bucs will basically be "free'' because they're going to take the same guy at No. 4 as they would at No. 2. If they trade too far down, they miss the opportunity to give their questionable pass rush a huge shot in the arm.
As a result, the draft experts will barbeque the Lions because they didn't get fair value in the "point system'' -- despite the fact that the Lions didn't lose a darn thing in making the trade.
Greed is good but being smart will be even better for the Lions in swinging a first-round deal.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (39)

Peter King might be right, but I'm still suspicious

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 23, 2007 18:36PM

I have a great deal of respect for Peter King and he usually has really good information. Based on his research, he believes the Tampa Bay Bucs aren't really interested in trading up because they believe Calvin Johnson could possibly fall to them at No. 4.
I'm still suspicious of that strategy because I don't think there's any way possible Johnson slides to the fourth spot. One of the reasons I believe that is because there are still some teams who want Johnson who haven't surfaced yet -- and probably won't until the Raiders make it official in taking LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell.
The Broncos, at No. 21 overall, are still making noise about moving up to get Johnson so I think it's safe to assume that when the time draws near and the heat gets turned up, other teams will see what the price is going to be. I'd be very surprised if the Bucs don't enter the sweepstakes at some point.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (11)

BMW is definitely on the trading block this week

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 23, 2007 14:12PM

Receiver Mike Williams, who blew off the team's recent off-season workouts, could be traded before Saturday's draft. It has been speculated (including here) that the Lions might prefer to cut Williams rather than trade him because of the salary cap implications. If the Lions release Williams and classify him as a "June 1 cut,'' his $5.7 million cap hit is broken up over two years ($1.9 million this season and $3.8 million next year). If the Lions trade Williams at any point prior to the regular season, the entire $5.7 million cap hit will be effective immediately.
The reason Williams could be traded is because the team had been planning for that possibility for months and their cap could absorb the hit. To swing a trade, though, the Lions are going to have to get an excellent deal to make it worth it (and please -- please -- don't believe the rumors that have Williams involved in some deal with the Raiders for Randy Moss. It's nonsense. The Raiders might deal for Williams but Moss has nothing to do with it).
If the Lions don't get what they want, they'll simply wait until training camp and, if a team gets hit with the injury bug at receiver, the price for Williams will go up. The bottom line is that the Lions are in no hurry to deal with Williams and will only pull the trigger when it's in their best interests.

comments.gif
Post a comment | View comments (17)

Trade chatter slows down; calm before the storm

Posted by Tom Kowalski April 21, 2007 10:24AM

For the last several days, the communication between the Lions and the teams wanting to trade up to No. 2 has slowed dramatically. Those teams are still very interested in moving up -- and there still might be another team or two laying in the weeds -- but there's no point in negotiating against yourself.
Until anybody really knows what the price is going to be, why talk about it?
Until the Raiders make their first pick official -- whether it's LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson -- nothing significant is likely to happen. If the Raiders draft (or sign) Johnson, nothing much will happen anyway because there's no interest in anybody trading up to get Russell.
However, if the Raiders take Russell -- and many experts believe they will -- the cell phones in Allen Park will be blowing up immediately. Until that happens, though, don't put a lot of stock into the constant rumors going around.
In fact, the rumor of a trade involving Tampa Bay's Simeon Rice drew a lot of chuckles from members of the Lions front office. Part of the

PETERSON REPORT REDUCES HEAT ON CAA
On the same day that it was first disclosed that quarterback/CAA client Brady Quinn has received a contract offer from the Raiders to become the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, Don Banks of SI.com reports that running back/CAA client Adrian Peterson re-injured his collarbone in the Fiesta Bowl, and that he'll miss all of the offseason workouts of the team that drafts him.
All 32 teams have known about the re-injury since the scouting combine in February. So why did it come out now, on the same day that it was first reported that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wants to clamp down on breaches of confidentiality?
Here's our theory/hypothesis/idea we yanked from our anal cleft: We think that, with the Browns widely believed to be choosing between CAA clients Quinn and Peterson at No. 3, the well-timed disclosure was made by CAA to help take steam out of talk of conflicts of interest and other unsavory matters.
In light of Banks' report, it's now obvious that Peterson won't be drafted at No. 3. And with coaches installing much of the offense and defense in the offseason program, Peterson's absence will definitely impact preparations for his rookie season. Though Banks thinks he won't get past No. 10 to Houston, we think this could drop him to the Bills at No. 12.

The rumor I heard today on Quinn is that the Raiders made him a contract offer, but they low-balled him.

They did this for a reason. If he accepts it, they save money, obviously, but why he might do it is because if he doesn't take it, what he might make at say #3 or in the numbers 7 to 9 area, would be less money.

So while it might not be that blow-you-away, first-pick-overall type money, they think they might be able to get him to bite on it so it would be a win for the organization. And, if he doesn't bite on it, they can always take Russell.

However, my guess is he won't bite on it.

The rumor I heard today on Quinn is that the Raiders made him a contract offer, but they low-balled him.

They did this for a reason. If he accepts it, they save money, obviously, but why he might do it is because if he doesn't take it, what he might make at say #3 or in the numbers 7 to 9 area, would be less money.

So while it might not be that blow-you-away, first-pick-overall type money, they think they might be able to get him to bite on it so it would be a win for the organization. And, if he doesn't bite on it, they can always take Russell.

However, my guess is he won't bite on it.

I would take that deal If i was Quinn. he says he wants to be the #1 pick that bad the do it here some Articles on it if you havent read it. I read all this shit.

POSTED 3:48 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 4:07 p.m. EDT, April 25, 2007
RAIDERS LOWBALL QUINN
There's a potentially intriguing story developing at the top end of the draft. On Tuesday, we reported that the Raiders are negotiating with quarterback JaMarcus Russell, receiver Calvin Johnson, and quarterback Brady Quinn at the top of the draft.
As we reported roughly an hour ago on an unexpected (but much appreciated) appearance on The Dan Patrick Show, a league source tells us that the Raiders have made a "lowball" offer to Quinn.
The question, from Quinn's perspective, is whether the "lowball" is more than the "highball" he'd get at a lower draft position. In the NFL, the players are paid based on the slot in which they are drafted. At the top of round one, the drop from No. 1 to, say, No. 7 is steep.
So if Quinn isn't the No. 1 pick and if he ends up being picked by the Vikings at No. 7, the question is whether the Raiders' offer is worth more than what Quinn would get at No. 7. If it is, he should take the Raiders' offer -- especially since being the No. 1 overall pick would enhance (we believe) his off-field earning potential.
But there are some problems with this analysis. First, agent Tom Condon would never allow Quinn to take a lowball offer at No. 1, since the magnitude of the Quinn deal would then be used against Condon in future recruiting efforts by agents who would say to the potential client, "Condon got screwed by the Raiders on the Quinn deal."
The irony here, as we see it, is that Condon's allegiance to his own interests (if, in the end, his advice to Quinn is to not take the offer) really isn't that much different than Bill Henkel's allegiance to his own interests when he allegedly took a $75,000 kickback from a company that did a deal with his former client LaDainian Tomlinson.
In both cases, the agent advances his personal agenda at the direct financial expense of his client.
The second problem is that, if Quinn doesn't go No. 1, the key spot for him will be No. 3, where the Browns are believed to be debating whether to take Quinn or running back Adrian Peterson. So if Quinn turns down a "lowball" offer at No. 1, he'll be counting on landing at No. 3, where he'd possibly get paid almost as much via the slotting process as he would get under a "lowball" offer from the Raiders.
But Condon's firm, CAA, also represents Peterson. We've previously commented on the potential conflict of interest resulting from this arrangement; if Quinn isn't the guy at No. 1, the conflict at No. 3 comes into much sharper focus.
How in the hell does CAA walk that tightrope? An agent's only job at this time of year is to pimp his client. So if Quinn doesn't do a deal with the Raiders at No. 1, then Tom Condon of CAA will be calling the Browns to get them to take Quinn instead of Peterson, while Ben Dogra of CAA is calling the Browns to get them to take Peterson instead of Quinn.
The unknown factor in all of this is whether Quinn even wants to play for the Raiders, and whether any misgivings about playing for Oakland override his desire to be the No. 1 overall pick.
Still, if Quinn wants to go No. 1 for reasons other than the money, then someone needs to explain to him that the agency representing him has a very real conflict of interest that might be coloring the advice Quinn is getting.
Several years ago, Condon withdrew from the representation of Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson because (as we heard at the time) Condon didn't want to be associated with a six-year deal for a player taken at the bottom of round one. In this specific case, it could be that Condon's best call is to walk away again.
Given the rule imposing a five-day waiting period before a new agent can be signed, however, Quinn would have to finish the Oakland deal without the benefit of an NFLPA-certified agent.
We don't know how it's going to turn out. However it does, who would have thought that the presumptive No. 1 pick from a year ago at this time would fade from the top spot and then potentially re-emerge at the eleventh hour?

pretty cool vid throw.

I can't believe how big Quinn is, fucking guy is huge.

Helluva throw there too.

Quinn is huge, and fast, and smart, and a 4 year starter... If Jemarcus Russell didn't eat his little brother, more people would talk about Brady's size and mobility.

but there is a giant black immobile quarterback who is projected in front of him so nobody talks about it.

I agree with you c-gold. i really would like quinn to go the browns but by the same token, he won't develop if there isn't a veteran there showing him the ropes.

i think quinn will be in the nfl a long time because he is smart and he has great athletic ability.

I know how difficult it is for you to divorce yourself from a QB's race, CG, but remember this, had Brady Quinn won even one of the big games he's played in the last two years, let alone their bowl game this year vs. LSU, he would have been a serious contender for the Heisman and who the Raiders would be picking wouldn't be a question.

The problem is, in every big game he's played in in two seasons, he's gotten crushed. Some of that was his defense, but not all of it. I mean, you look at them vs. ranked teams outside of September in the last couple of seasons and that team couldn't keep it within two touchdowns.

I don't care if your QB is Jesus, if you can't do that, Mel Keiper's going to slide the guy down the draft board beneath somebody who can.

What big games did Jemarcus win? The guy wasn't even 100% the LSU starter before the season. You could measure his size, his long toss, and everything else, but what about how quickly he will pick up a system?

Brady Quinn has been the undisputed starter at Notre Dame for 4 years, and has been tutored by the best the past 2 years.

Russell wasn't even an undisputed 1st rounder during much of the year. Quinn could have been a top 10 pick last year.

I've never seen somebodies stock rise so much, for winning a HOME GAME against a bad notre dame defense. It is a perfect storm for anybody who likes quinn.

Speaking of QB's race... weren't you the one that thought I was a tough critic on Byron Leftwhich? How did that turn out?

How about Ron Mexico? I've been bashing the guy since day 1 while everybody thought he was the best player ever.

Don't confuse criticism of a black quarterback with racism.

You haven't seen someone's stock rise like this? Of course you have, it happens almost every year. Someone wins one big game or has one great workout and he shoots up the board.

Hell, Jay Cutler almost qualifies for this from last year. Who even talked about him during the season last year then, all the sudden, the hype machine started rolling after the season. I'm not saying it's even justified, though in Cutler's case it might have been, but it happens every year at multiple postions. Look at Okoye this year after the season ended.

You ask what big game Jamarcus won and yet you already know the answer, he won the biggest game, that is to say, the last one anybody saw.

People said it at the time and they were right, that LSU win--in which Russell played very, very well--made him a ton of money and cost Brady Quinn a ton of money.

Just like the Rose Bowl from last year did with Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Just like bowl games and NCAA tournaments in basketball always do for various players. They're what's in your recent memory, the supposed biggest stage for these kids, their primetime, their job audition for the next level.

Where would Chad Henne be in this year's draft if he'd gone 23-31 for 331 yards and four TDs in the Rose Bowl this year to beat USC? You can bet your *ss he'd be in the same sentence with Brady Quinn and, again, whether that's justified or not doesn't matter. Look back at the Couch, Donovan, Akili Smith draft. How much of the hype on those guys was justified, one of three.

As for Lefty, I think you're hard on him, but I think others have been worse and, frankly, he hasn't been all that good. As I said above I don't think any of those QBs in Jax are being coached because Del Rio is a defensive guy and I think that's hurting their team and will continue to no matter who's under center.

And if you're not trying to tread into racial waters (which should never, by the way, be confused with Ricky Watters), my suggestion would be to not throw out ridiculousness like Jamarcus Russell is the NFL's version of affirmative action.

Back