MNF Fantasy Strategy

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
Have you guys ever considered benching a player(s) if you already have the week won? Quick answer is who would when total points on the season is a tie-breaker, but what if you have negative points in league settings and you're up 2 points or less and have fractional points?

:popcorn:

I'm obviously in this situation tonight. Have Jay Cutler in at QB, with INT -3, fumbles -2, etc... Don't see it really being an issue and doubt I pull him, but early in the game he gets sacked and fumbles or tosses a ball up and gets injured... just like that I lose the week..

I'd bench him. Road game, decent Oakland secondary ... even playing the whole game he can give you a negative, what if he throws three picks, no scores ...?

why not bench him if you're already winning? make sure u don't get disqualified for not playing a QB though. i'm in a league that you have to have someone in for every spot

only downisde ive seen is when stats get reworked and say one of your guys goes from 100 yards to 99 yards and one of his guys goes from 99 yards to 100 or something?

but how often do players get negative points anyway??

only downisde ive seen is when stats get reworked and say one of your guys goes from 100 yards to 99 yards and one of his guys goes from 99 yards to 100 or something?

but how often do players get negative points anyway??

Yea, you gotta start him because of this. Especially if it's a yahoo league. There's constant scoring changes, you just never know. I'd say the odds of a scoring change is lower than the odds of Cutler getting sacked and hurt early in the game and finishing with -2.

Yea, you gotta start him because of this. Especially if it's a yahoo league. There's constant scoring changes, you just never know. I'd say the odds of a scoring change is lower than the odds of Cutler getting sacked and hurt early in the game and finishing with -2.

:shake:

bench him... what if that 1 loss comes into play for the tie breaker you could have avoided in the first place with a bench.

I dont expect him to have negative points, but I have seen it twice that I can remember from a quarterback. I think Grossman did it last year and Culpepper did it 2-3 years ago. I wouldnt take the risk if I didnt have to.

if it was Jackson at Green bay, id maybe almost consider benching him...but not cutler at oakland...id be absolutely floored if he got negative points

of course this advice is coming from a guy who had Palmer get him -1 points in a game yesterday in one of my leagues

:36_11_6:

if it was Jackson at Green bay, id maybe almost consider benching him...but not cutler at oakland...id be absolutely floored if he got negative points

You never know. In 2005 (the year after Culpepper had 41 combined TD's) Culpepper was a 1-2 round pick. In his very 1st game of the season he got me negative points. He threw for 233 yards, 0 td's, 3 int's, and 2 fumbles lost. At that point in time, he was second to only Peyton Manning as least likely to get negative points from a QB.

I'd say on average I have 1 week a season that I get negative points from my qb, or it's damn close to being negative until the end. I normally don't draft QB's early or have injury concerns, but I felt this was a good question to bring up and get opinions on. I'm going to keep him in there.

^^^^

so did VY...
icon8.gif

I have this debate with myself a lot. I think I'd play him, given that its week 1 and you have no idea what kind of competition you are looking at later for total points.

If Jay Cutler puts up negative points, you've got big problems.

Back