MLB Rumors

D-backs dont want Bonds

Fuentes will likely be traded

B-jays say that Burnett is indespensable

Word is Brewers just got Huston Street

Did Brewers trade Ford for Street?

By Tom Haudricourt

Saturday, Jul 19 2008, 06:25 PM

San Francisco - I just got a call from a contact in Brevard County who told me that word was circulating there that outfielder Darren Ford had been involved in a trade for Oakland closer Huston Street.
Then, Ford was pulled from Brevard's lineup before its game against Clearwater. Players often are pulled from the lineup when they've been put into a trade. The Brewers did the same thing with Matt LaPorta in Huntsville before trading him to Cleveland in the CC Sabathia deal.
The fact that Ford was pulled from the lineup makes me believe something could be up. He has no injury that I know of.
GM Doug Melvin is here with the club, so I'll go ask him if it's true and get back to you.

Something is up, probably not Street

By Tom Haudricourt

Saturday, Jul 19 2008, 07:02 PM

San Francisco - The Brewers definitely have some kind of trade in the works but I was just told by a club source that it is not for Oakland closer Huston Street (who is pitching badly by the way).
I'm still trying to get hold of GM Doug Melvin, who was nowhere to be found after the game. But Brevard County outfielder Darren Ford, a speedster, was pulled from the team's lineup before the game today and word was circulating there that he had been traded.
I'll see what I can find out but this might be something that's not announced until tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Don't know who else it would be on Oakland. They were scouting that game and it has to be someone from there... Mark Ellis?

Yeah Durahm and Taschner is what I have been hearing the last week or so. But Salome is out of the lineup tonight in Huntsville so maybe somebody bigger like Fuentes maybe?

Really doesnt have to be somebody from Oakland. TH just thought it was Street since we were scouting him

Saturday, July 19
Brewers eye Huston Street

Huston Street | Athletics | Interested: Brewers
Milwaukee special assistant Dick Groch is at Yankee Stadium this weekend for the Yankees series vs. Oakland, and he is apparently scouting Athletics closer Huston Street.
The Brewers are looking to bolster their bullpen, and Street is inexpensive, effective, and believed to be available, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Could Phils add Holliday?

According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Philadelphia Phillies and Colorado Rockies were discussing a deal that would have brought outfielder Matt Holliday and closer Brian Fuentes to Philadelphia in exchange for a package of players, likely consisting of outfielder Shane Victorino, left-hander J.A. Happ, Double-A right-hander Carlos Carrasco and Double-A catcher Lou Marson. However, the talks have since stalled and it is unlikely that deal will be revisited.

Friday, July 18
Garcia is ready to throw

Freddy Garcia | Phillies | Interested: Mets? Yankees? Astros? Tigers?
Freddy Garcia is close to being physically ready to work out for teams interested in acquiring him, his agent Peter Greenberg told Kat O'Brien of Newsday. Garcia has not throw since last season as he recovers from right labrum surgery.
His next scheduled throwing session will be a 45-pitch bullpen on Friday in which he will throw only fastballs and changeups, he will then add breaking balls in the next session.
According to Greenberg, Garcia is looking for a one-year deal, but said, "If there's somebody that wants to sign him to a multiyear deal, we'll be receptive to that. Our preference is just to sign Freddy for the rest of this year."

Xavier Nady draws interest

Xavier Nady | Pirates | Interested: Mets, Braves
The New York Mets and the Atlanta Braves recently conducted conference calls with the Pittsburgh Pirates discussing the availability of Xavier Nady.
Despite multiple reports of an "exorbitant" price for Nady it appears that the Pirates are only seeking two quality prospects in return, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Call me nuts but that projection for Phillies-Holliday is way too much to give up for Matt Holliday. He's a good player, but Victorino is a legit big league starting OF, Carrasco and Marson top prospects, and happ a nice filler...

Call me nuts but that projection for Phillies-Holliday is way too much to give up for Matt Holliday. He's a good player, but Victorino is a legit big league starting OF, Carrasco and Marson top prospects, and happ a nice filler...

Yeah but Holliday is a legit 290/30HR/100RBI guy. Those dont come along every day.

Back