MLB Monday: new week, new start!

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Another poor day behind me, despite the fact Minny had a 9-2 lead, White Sox had a 5-3 lead and Philly lead 3-1. All 3 lost. Add to that that Fenway under was one of the worst picks I've made (and I did have a lot of losing plays in the last week or so) and you have yourself another bad day.

Oh well. A friend told me yesterday, don't worry you're good, just wake up feeling like a winner despite the fact you've been losing lately. It should even out.

I hope he's right. Anyways, I have several plays I like for tonight.

Angels (RL) (2.03 @ Pinnacle) 6 units

I might sound a bit bold right now, but I'll say it anyway: I don't think the Astros will finish the season above .500 this year. I know, they've been doing it for years now, and even when behind they found their ways to go on winning streaks just in time to either complicate the Wild Card fight or just storm passed .500.
I don't think it happens this year. I've been looking at this team for a while, watching their games, following the ones I couldn't watch, as they intrigue me quite a lot. At first glance they have a very talented lineup, but they've been lackluster and I can't see them improving much, as they obviously lack chemistry and don't make the winning mix.
Now let's analyze their season in a couple of sentences: started off at 9-6, finished April at 10-14, then started improving, winning 4 out of 5 series and tying their record at 20.

Everyone thought ok, this is the turning point of the season.
What happened since? The team went 10-19 and lost 7 out of 8 series before sweeping Seattle.
Ok, Seattle. The M's are my favorite team and I think I have a good take on them. They were hitting .330 or more for almost a month, and finally got back to Earth hitting around .190 (as I said yesterday, Sexson-like numbers) in their last 5 games.
What could be the reason? Well Jose Lopez lost his brother in a car crash, they were forced to make lineup reshuffles (Beltre in and out, Guillen, Sexson) and suddenly they were losing games and losing big. I don't think they're fully focused at the moment, and I believe Astros' sweep might be a bit too hyped up.
What happens now, the Astros take a trip to California, and will face one of the best teams in baseball.
The Angels are 27-10 since May 9, and have won 11 of their last 12 series. To add to that, they are 9-3 in the Interleague, and are coming off a 6-3 road trip against NL teams.
The fun doesn't stop here folks.

Los Angeles is a major league-best 24-9 at home, winning 12 of its last 15 there. The Astros (30-39), meanwhile, are an NL-worst 13-21 on the road, losing 12 of their last 15 away from Minute Maid Park.
I'm well aware Chris Sampson (6-5, 3.29 ERA) has been the bright spot in their rotation. Sampson, who has made seven straight quality starts, has gone 2-0 with a 2.91 ERA and .197 opponents batting average in three June starts. He allowed two runs -- both on solo homers -- and three hits in seven innings, but did not receive a decision in Houston's 7-3 loss to Oakland on Wednesday.

SEVEN straight quality starts. And playing against some solid teams, right? He faced Oakland in June, that went well, even though the Astros lost, he was in for 7 innings, let in 3 hits, 2 ER. Before that at CWS, 6 hits in 6 IP, again 2 ER. Then solid outings against SF (twice) (even though they lost one), ARI, MIL...and before that he was completely shelled by the Phillies, allowing 14 hits and 7 ER in 4 IP.
I hate using the word "due" as I don't believe in it, let me just say I think he gets shelled again. These Halos are hot again. I know I said a week ago or so, that they're unclutch but they caught some fire since then, beating Cincinnati and the Dodgers in the Freeway series. And beating them with style. I think that Sampson won't be as solid tonight and the Halos will win behind their ace John Lackey (10-4, 2.53 ERA).

Cardinals (1.62 @ Pinnacle) 10 units

The Cards are catching some momentum and unlike the Astros one (which I think is bogus) I rate these guys really highly at the moment. They've been winning games in style, and winning them with offense which is en fuego at the moment. Had it not been for the incredible surge the A's went on in Game 1, the Cards would sweep them in Oakland.
And that was without Eckstein, with sub par pitching, etc...
Now they'll return home with one thought on their mind. How to take advantage of the momentum, and how to get back to .500 as soon as possible.
Oh, one more think will be on their minds. That 17-8 defeat at the hands of the Royals less than a week ago. Now they'll send out Adam Wainwright (5-5, 4.66 ERA) who shut down these same Royals in his last start.
The Royals are hot as well, 6-4 in last 10 and barely won against the slumping Marlins last night. But the thing is, they're still a 28-42 team, and despite winning 3 straight series, they're still one of the lousiest road teams in the league, and frankly I don't think they'll win this series.
This is a copy/paste of last Wednesday's pitching matchup; Odalis Perez gave up seven runs and 10 hits in only three innings against the Cardinals, who have made a habit of knocking him around.

Perez has allowed at least four runs in each of his seven career starts against St. Louis, going 2-3 with a 8.91 ERA in those games. The left-hander has been tagged for 10 runs in 8 1-3 innings in his last three games at St. Louis.

His troubles aren't just limited to the Cardinals, though, as he is 1-3 with a 7.92 ERA in his last five games. He has just one win since April 30.

The Cards are coming together, champs spirit is taking up the locker room, and they're determined to get back to winning ways, making up for mediocre pitching by stepping up in the offense.

Phillies (Hamels) (1.85 @ Pinnacle) 4 units

I will back the Phillies again, after losing that bet on them last night. They had their chances to put the game away, but Ryan Howard failed to step up, bases juiced, 2 on, he squandered it all, and the Tigers raced back.
However, the Phillies are still one of the hottest NL teams and despite the fact they'll be facing the AL's best home team, that team is in a slump right now.
The Indians are only 7-9 in June. Cliff Lee (3-4, 6.04 ERA) is far from a reliable pitcher, and I'm thinking he gets back to his old ways after leading his team to a win against the Marlins.
Cole Hamels (9-2, 3.47 ERA) is a young stud. This guy can go long into the game, and will rarely give up much. Cleveland won last night but their series with Atlanta clearly showed this team is ready to land for at least a week or two, before making another run for the Ws.
I just like what the Phillies have done lately, and don't find the price unjustified.

Leans:
Washington (Chico)
Atlanta (James)
Oakland RL (Blanton)

GL today Satyr, I do like the Cards play tonight. Keep on pushing buddy, you'll get through eventually. Just a run of bad luck. Angels look solid too, one of the toughest home teams around.

yesssss sir... we are going to rebound together soon, I can feel it in my bones. Hopefully it starts 2day.

Like seeing you on the Phillies, I am still waiting for the line to get hit down a little more like I think it will. Lee got the W last start but allowed 10 baserunners in 5innings, also he is averaging 19pitches/inning in his last 7 starts, that has 5innings written all over it.

Also love the Cards play as well.

Where you sitting on Arizona?

Thanks guys. :cheers:

Green, well I do lean Zona of course, but I just can't force myself to pull the trigger. Quite pricy, and Livan just got torched in NY, and Edwin Jackson seems to be one of the pitchers I can't get. This guy has a not so bad start then gets flamed again...if I decide to take the RL just look how it ends 3:2 and Jackson actually has a solid one.

Nah, no bet for me. :shake:

Think Phillie lost yesterday because of a truely stupid bullpen decision in the 7th. Thats the one real weakness of this team. The guy in charge ranges from average to pathetic. GL

this is getting ridiculous...

I'm like on a 7-20 run (roughly) and I just can't figure out how and why this has been happening...I think I'm capping sensibly, but apparently I'm not...

can anyone see some big change in the last 10 days as opposed to the season up to that point?

Any observation would be helpful, thanks.

and he is walking Pujols intentionally...again...bases loaded, 1 out...

Please Encarnacion...don't fuck this up again...

Rolen
Ludwick
Miles

up next...

If we can get one run from these clowns I would be ok with it.

Just look at

#pitch 2 (flied out)

#pitch 4 (grounded out)

#pitch 1 (flied out)

Got Rolen to hit on pitch 2, grounded out not fly out but nevermind...

Ok what do we have next...

Ludwick...pitch 6..grounded out...almost nailed it there.

ok we're looking for a swing at the first pitch now.

I think it's just that it's the middle of baseball season and more dogs start winning at this time of year, you tend to play favorites and that's what it maybe. Also interleague play, you don't know whats going to happen since you don't know how these teams will play the other, they have no histories (most of the time) so it gets tricky.

Hopefully the Cards can knock around Perez or the bullpen from here on out.

yeah you're probably right but I did play a lot of dogs in the interleague and ended up torched, like 1 of 5.

And I mean big dogs. Not just any kind of dogs, but the ones that I liked after analyzing it...

So it has to be more than that.

Ok first of, I've never had a bad run of this proportion. Secondly, even during my bad runs, I knew what's wrong, I do have a solid amount of self criticism involved when doing something, so I had no troubles pointing out that I perhaps had other stuff on my mind, other obligations, etc...

But this time it was no such case. I just sat down like I do every day, had a cup of coffee and started checking out the card...day after day...and day after day, I end up on the losing side...I think out of last 14 days I had 12 losing ones.

Something is definitely wrong, I just can't point out what.

no idea bro, i liked a lot of your analysis' for the games, they seemed spot on. just one of those things and you are in an extended drought. I really have no clue as to whats wrong. I'll try to look through your posts later on to see if I see anything that keeps popping up.

Btw, I just checked...look at how many doggies I played since May 8th:

Blue Jays (McGowan) (2.83 @ Pinnacle) 3 units
Diamondbacks (Davis) (2.44 @ Pinnacle) 5 units
Mariners (Batista) (2.20 @ Pinnacle) 3 units
Athletics (Kennedy) (2.53 @ Pinnacle) 4 units
Nationals (Bowie) (2.64 @ Pinnacle) 3 units
Seattle (Batista) (2.32 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Blue Jays (McGowan) (2.35 @ Pinnacle) 4 units
Arizona (Hernandez) (2.99 @ Pinnacle) 4 units
Tampa Bay (Jackson) (2.80 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Phillies (Eaton) (2.26 @ Pinnacle) 4 units

And these are just ML dogs. I took several runlines at dog prices, 2.20 or more.

I also tried favs, chalk...totals...

Tried tailing...

tried fading...

tried not reading other people's thoughts while capping...

And I still end up on the losing side whatever I do...:D

Something is wrong here guys. My MLB capping talent might be broken :(

I don't know...if this keeps up...I think I'll be forced to go on an extended vacation from MLB capping until 2008. :)

yeah I tried that actually...ended up hitting like 7 out of 10 (just leans, would've been plays if I was playing) in 3 days and decided to come back because what point would I have in waking up knowing that I hit 15 out of last 20 plays if I didn't play it.

But not cashing in on plays actually beats losing by 20 times...so I'll consider your advice, thanks. :shake:

HAHA OK guys...stay with me one more minute please...

Did the Angels just have runners on 1st and 3rd and 1 out? WITH VLAD of all people at bat?

What happened? 2 outs. Now Houston has the lead. OK.

Stay with me again...remember the biggest pitching mismatch in a while, Peavy v Edwin Jackson? I was on Tampa then, 2.80 odds. The guys were killing the ball, SD were cold as shit.

Edwin gave up 5 runs in the 1st inning.

Now I see some guys on the Snakes, and he is pitching some world class ball, only 1 hit.

Last week I said how the Angels were unclutch...I leave them alone...they rout Cincy and the Dodgers...now I think ok, they got the feeling back on...they're playing the Astros, and I explained what I think about their streak and their sweep of the Mariners...

Vlad can't hit shit again.

Cards were hot...Pujols is a non factor, completely invisible today...

Encarnacion...DOUBLE PLAY TWICE with bases loaded and 2 on.

I'm curious...what the fuck is happening? :D

Satyr - I am thinking of setting a goal next yr and playing hard from April - Mid May and than calling it quits. I was up to $8,800 and now I am not even close... I have looked over my season plenty of times to tried to figure out what I was doing in April compared to now and I can't pinpoint anything really significantly different..If anything, I am looking over more parts of the games than I ever was.. I will say that I am tired of losing games the way I am losing. I don't know how many balls have bounced against me, how many leads bullpens have blown for me, and how many BAD pitchers have had the game of their life vs me..

more rant...

yesterday finished like this:
Minny had a 9-2 lead, White Sox had a 5-3 lead and Philly lead 3-1. All 3 lost ( i had Minny RL).

:D.

Now Rolen is at bat with 1 on and I'm 100% sure he's going to fuck up..

Rolen struck out...

Satyr - I am thinking of setting a goal next yr and playing hard from April - Mid May and than calling it quits. I was up to $8,800 and now I am not even close... I have looked over my season plenty of times to tried to figure out what I was doing in April compared to now and I can't pinpoint anything really significantly different..If anything, I am looking over more parts of the games than I ever was.. I will say that I am tired of losing games the way I am losing. I don't know how many balls have bounced against me, how many leads bullpens have blown for me, and how many BAD pitchers have had the game of their life vs me..
I hear you...and all I'm asking for really is for a fair chance...I'm not like some other people who always whine and bitch how luck is going against them...

I'm WELL AWARE the zillion times luck was on my side...but even then, I didn't go on 22-7 streaks, I had like 13-7 streaks, 22-18.

Now I have 7-22 and I can't hit a house.

And I'm not asking for much. If a team has a 9-2 lead, please don't blow it if I have the runline and it's the 7th inning.

If a team has bases loaded twice with 1 and zero outs, please don't go into double play BOTH times.

If St Louis would win now...I wouldn't call it normal. I would straight away, I got kissed by the lady luck tonight, as my boys turned it around in the 9th... Not that they will though, the worst part of the lineup coming up...and they're down by 2, possibly even more.

So all I'm asking is a fair chance...if the game has like 6 homers launched, and I'm on the over 9.5, what are the FUCKING CHANCES that game staid under?

etc, etc...

I feel you and really, I haven't watched every play of every game I've bet this yr but its been a long time since I won a game because of the other teams bullpen. Its usually my bullpen giving the game away. I too am about to go down on the Cards. Not getting that Over is disgusting as well and just really tough to swallow..

Exactly...but for me, in the last 2 weeks, no one has been winning games for me...not even guys like Vlad or Pujols, let alone late runs. Only against the bets I made.

So I would consider Cards to come back a very nice kiss of luck, and I wouldn't whine any more...at least for a day or two :an_roll_laugh:

come on Cardinals fucking hell.

fuck...not sure if this is going to be enough...

Grounded out but Miles on third...

COME ON CARDINALS

Back