MistaFlava's CFB TUESDAY NIGHT ***Power Selection*** (Writeup & Analysis)

MistaFlava

Cheerleader
MistaFlava's 2007 CFB Record: 33-26-2 (+156.90 Units)
MistaFlava's 2007 ATS Record: 31-23-2 (+162.80 Units)
MistaFlava's 2007 O/U Record: 0-1 (-5.50 Units)
MistaFlava's 2007 2nd Half Record: 2-2 (-0.40 Units)

Last 3 weeks: 24-14-2 ATS (+191.50 Units)

COLLEGE GAMEDAY PLAYS OF THE WEEK: 4-0 ATS (+130.00 Units)

Week 1: ---
Week 2: Louisiana State -11
Week 3: USC -9.5
Week 4: Georgia +3.5
Week 5: California +6.5

Welcome to my College Football threads for the 2007-2008 season. Not the kind of start I was looking for but after observing and watching things play out this past weekend, I think it helped a lot of grow as cappers and Im a big believer in the 'watch and learn' type of theory. The rule changes didn't make much of a difference but new coaches did (Dantonio was impressive) and I would love to turn things around this week with the help of my new little friend. Anybody remember my PS2 simulations a while back? Almost time to bring them back for good. Yeah right! LOL!

----------------------------------

Tuesday, October 2

Marshall Thundering Herd +2.5 (10 Units)

The Marshall Thundering Herd have not had much luck this season as they come into this game with an 0-4 straight up record and 1-2 ATS record. But hold on a second guys. Marshall has had it tougher than most teams in the Country with their first four games having to play against the Miami Hurricanes, West Virginia Mountaineers and Cincinnati Bearcats. Their other game was at home against I-AA New Hampshire and they somehow lost that one but I don't think it meant much. The bottom line is that playing against Memphis in this game is a HUGE step down in competition for the Thundering Herd so they have a good chance. They had some competitive moments in the West Virginia and Cincinnati games which is a good indication that this team will be hungry to win for the first time this season. The Thundering Herd don't have it easy from here on in so making it to a Bowl Game is going to be tough but their new season starts tonight and coach Mark Snyder has deemed this a MUST WIN game for his 14 returning starters. I know Marshall has been horrendous over the last seven seasons as a road underdog (6-18 ATS) but this is the one road game I think they have a great chance of winning. The Thundering Herd come into this game averaging only 18.8 points per game on 380.0 total yards of offense and 5.4 yards per play this season but don't forget who they have played against. Memphis has allowed a whopping 32.0 points per game this season on 414.3 total yards of offense and 5.5 yards per play. On the ground, Marshall has not had success running the ball as they average only 84.8 rushing yards per game on 2.8 yards per carry but things are about to get a bit easier for RB Darius Marshall who is averaging 6.7 yards per carry this season on 28 carries. He is up against a Memphis defense that has allowed 171.3 rushing yards per game on 4.0 yards per carry. If the freshman can open things up on the ground, QB Bernard Morris should really lead this team to a win. Morris has completed 67.7% of his passes this season for 1087 passing yards, 8.6 yards per pass attempt and 7 touchdowns with 4 interceptions. He is up against a Memphis secondary that has allowed opponents to complete 58.0% of their passes this season for 7.4 yards per pass attempt. If you want to beat Marshall you have to have an effective pass rush and the Tigers really don't with their 1.3 sacks per game. They also have only 1 interception on the season and Bernard Morris should have his best game of the year and countering Memphis scores should not be a problem in this game for Marshall.

The Memphis Tigers have been preparing for this game for a while but because of a makeup game on Saturday, did not have the time off they had planned. Now but those preparations were brutally interrutped two nights ago when one of their teammates was killed. Put all that aside, which I think is going to be impossible to do for these guys, and the Tigers come into this game with a 1-3 record straight up and 2-1 ATS record. Their only win of the season has come against I-AA Jacksonville State with their losses coming against Mississippi, Arkansas State and Central Florida. In last year's meeting with the Thundering Herd on the road, Memphis lost 41-27 and allowed more than 400 yards while getting 400+ yards of their own in that game. You can call this a revenge game all you want but the bottom line is that both teams NEED this win and there is a big difference between wanting and needing. Sure the Tigers team was being hailed as one of the most improved teams in this Country according to some pre-season experts but they have yet to show any kind of defensive effiency and until they can do that, they won't be winning football games. The Tigers come into this game averaging 26.8 points per game this season on 412.5 total yards of offense and 5.6 yards per play. It's tough to judge how Marshall has played defensively because although it looks bad on paper, three of their four opponents are TOP 25 or potential TOP 25 opponents. The Thundering Herd have allowed 41.8 points per game on 447.5 total yards and 6.4 yards per play this season. On the ground, Memphis rushes almost 40 times per game and average 153.8 rushing yards on 4.1 yards per carry. So im thinking that Marshall will know what to expect in this game as they have allowed 263.0 rushing yards per game this season on 5.9 yards per carry and can only improve on that side of things. If they can stack the box and keep things controlled, that will force Memphis QB Martin Hankins to throw a lot more than he is used to throwing. Hankins has completed 61.1% of his passes this season for 6.6 yards per pass attempt but has been hampered by interception problems having thrown 5 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. Last season Hankins threw 18 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions. Marshall has not done much to shut down opponents air attacks allowing 65.7% of passes against them to be completed for 7.5 yards per pass attempt but that was against teams like West Virginia, Cincinnati and Miami, who's QB's are all more efficient than Hankins and company. I know Memphis is going to give this game a good run but I don't know that they can exact revenge with everything that has happened in the last 48 hours on campus.

The mood will be somber tonight for the Memphis Tigers as they try to recover from the devastating news that one of their own players was fatally shot to death late on Sunday Night. That makes this game less than 48 hours after the incident and although I don't usually incorporate events like that into my capping, it's hard look past this and I think the Memphis players are going to be affected by it a lot more than we think. It's still fresh, it's still a mystery and a lot of guys are probably still in shock. So much that it messed up their preparations for this game. Marshall has not looked good at all this year but they have played against three TOP 25 teams or potential TOP 25 teams and the stats are probably a bit more misleading then you think. This is a MUST WIN game for both teams and I think im a bigger fan of Marshall QB Bernard Morris (Senior) than I am of Memphis QB Martin Hankins (Senior) who has made a lot more mistakes than Morris over the years. Memphis is only 9-14 ATS as as home favorite over the last seven seasons so that probably cancels out Marshall's dismal road ATS record as an underdog the last seven years. This is going to be a high-scoring back and forth kind game and I like Marshall to make bigger plays when it matters and come out on top.

Trend of the Game: Memphis is 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games as a favorite.

Marshall 42, Memphis 21

GL to all this week!

toast.gif

<!-- / message -->

I'm on it as well..

BOL.

Also, what do you think about Wisconsin +2.5 vs. Illinios.. Very interesting line..

Mr Flava: Thanks again for the write up; I now have some confidence in my pick. On Marshall +3, since hearing the bad news at Memphis. I feel like the death/murder of the player has caused distractions...how can a team be focused after losing a teammate? Sad situation.

I know how that affected FSU when DeVaughn Darling died...how did scUM respond last year with Bryan Pata? They lost to Maryland in a close one. It takes time to deal with the death of a friend, classmate, player, and teammate...anyone...I'm sure football is not their priority right now.

Wish I would have waited on your MNF write up last night. I got nailed on that one.

I'm on it as well..

BOL.

Also, what do you think about Wisconsin +2.5 vs. Illinios.. Very interesting line..

You know what Clyde...to be honest with you I think Illinois and Ron Zook can pull this off. Juice matches up well against the Wisky defense. Having siad that, the Wisky offense matches up well against the Illini defense and since I see Illinois winning in the 4-6 points range, its a no play for me. Good Luck with that...I just don't think it has any value seeing how Illinois is playing way above their heads and Wisconsin could be the next TOP 10 to drop.

Mr Flava: Thanks again for the write up; I now have some confidence in my pick. On Marshall +3, since hearing the bad news at Memphis. I feel like the death/murder of the player has caused distractions...how can a team be focused after losing a teammate? Sad situation.

I know how that affected FSU when DeVaughn Darling died...how did scUM respond last year with Bryan Pata? They lost to Maryland in a close one. It takes time to deal with the death of a friend, classmate, player, and teammate...anyone...I'm sure football is not their priority right now.

Wish I would have waited on your MNF write up last night. I got nailed on that one.

Right on...never thought of the Pata incident last season and you're spot on when you say that it takes time to recover. Thanks and GL to us tonight!

Just layed some cash with u on this flav.... i sure hope this wins!! Practically layed out 1/3 of my account on this... probably a bad decision.

Who knows maybe Memphis will pull together and win this for their teammates death??? I hope not.

Thanks Flava for the opinion. I actually like Illinios in the game.

I love it when a rank team gets points on the road against an unranked team...

Might roll over tonight's winner (Marshall) on Illinios..

Thanks Flava for the opinion. I actually like Illinios in the game.

I love it when a rank team gets points on the road against an unranked team...

Might roll over tonight's winner (Marshall) on Illinios..

Well its out there now...I like Illinois a lot too. Just haven't made up my mind if I want to bet on it. Too many good lines this weekend. GL

What makes this difficult is you just never know how people, and espeically young adults like this, will react to tragedy. They either play "inspired" and out of their minds, or the focus is not there for obvious reasons.

For me, this will be a bit more of a 2H play. I have to see how Memphis reacts before I touch this one.

Great write-up FLAVA......i noticed your piece on BOISE lst week, and you were DED on......i hit last nites PARLAY....so i was thinking about laying off tonite (went 3-13 last weekend) but after reading this i might hit MARSH......

How strongly do you feel about it??

Great write-up FLAVA......i noticed your piece on BOISE lst week, and you were DED on......i hit last nites PARLAY....so i was thinking about laying off tonite (went 3-13 last weekend) but after reading this i might hit MARSH......

How strongly do you feel about it??

I always like when I can see an underdog winning SU. Memphis was pegged as one of the most improved teams of 2007 before the season started but I just haven't seen it. Marshall has a few experienced players and it's tough for me to see them go 0-5 on the year. Not one of my top plays this week or weekend but nonetheless, I really like Marshall to win and cover. thanks and GL

I like the prep time Marshall has compared to Memphis. Marshall on 9 days rest vs. the 4 days rest for Memphis. Kick in a missed practice Monday for Memphis and I truly don't know how they could be adequately prepared. If they are prepared, that is a credit to the coaching staff but I think I am willing to bet against it....nice write up

damn flava, ive been following your writeups for a couple years now and ur the shit dude. keep em coming and lets cash this bitch

Miami lost the first game without Pata but if I'm not mistaken they won the first home game after his death in a pretty big upset over Boston College...

-love, resident BC hater

Just layed some cash with u on this flav.... i sure hope this wins!! Practically layed out 1/3 of my account on this... probably a bad decision.

Who knows maybe Memphis will pull together and win this for their teammates death??? I hope not.

:prayer

Mista...

one question...

btw..excellent season so far..

why no shopping or at least buying to a key number...

GL this weekend bro

TOUGH freakin loss. I'm still not sure the Marshall WR has figured out which route he is supposed to run.

More pissed that I took the Marshall ML, as opposed to +3.5, which BetUS had briefly.

Back