Misleading Scores Week 1

ksimpsc

Pretty much a regular
Haven’t seen this thread yet and is always one of my favorites. Did not get to see a lot of the games being out of town so look forward to any posts you guys may have on these.

For me, I think Notre Dame is going to be extremely hyped because of this win, but they really weren't that impressive to me. I think you play that game 9 more times that Michigan would win at least 7 of them.

LSU tops for me. They were outgained, converted 3/16 on 3rd down but won turnovers 2-0, had fumble recovery luck and dominated field position all night.

On a per snap basis, they didn’t really dominate that game. It was a 50/50 game that had every volatile fluctuation go LSU’s way in significant fashion.

Stanford also - if you play out that exact game script 10 times, they cover twice.

Rutgers offense really only accounted for 21 of their 35 pts vs Texas St. 21 of the 42 pts scored in that game were direct result of D.

Boise O did dominate, but they scored 2 of their TDs on fumble returns.

Indiana appeared as if they did not want to punch a final TD in in the waning seconds vs FIU. Up 10, they ended the game at the FIU 1.

Syracuse led 34-7 when they took Dungey out in the 2nd qrt. They couldn't score without him and I can't help but think Cuse would've kept scoring had they left him in. Instead WM mounted a comeback before Cuse pulled away again (after putting Dungey back in).

LaTech only won by 4. They had some poor OL play and some turnovers and mistakes allowed South Alabama to get off the mat and make it closer than it should've been. LT outgained them by 130y and did settle for a 23y FG.

North Texas only won by 23 (46-23), but that game was 36-0 in the 3rd and NT had a 454-46 yard edge at one point.

Although the San Jose D is a liability, if Montel Aaron had been the QB for the whole game San Jose St may've won.

Nevada was only winning by 11 at half time, they won by 53.

Depends what your number was on Incarnate Word at New Mexico, I saw it around 34-35. NM led 62-23 with under 3 minutes left. Incarnate Word drove 80 yards and fumbled at the NM1, but an IW player was there to scoop it up and score for the 32 pt margin with a minute left.

Idaho lost 7 turnovers and Fresno essentially had 31 non-offensive pts.

Here are some:

Liberty/ODU 62 points - Game was sitting on 24-10 in the 4th when ODU imploded. 5 play 94 yard td drive for liberty = 31-10, ODU correctly goes for it on 4th down and 1 on their own 25 but fail, Liberty 2 plays 25 yard td drive = 38-10, ODU 5 and out, Liberty 53 yard TD run =45-10, ODU fumbles it away on their first play of next drive, Liberty 3 plays TD = 62-10.

UConn only 17 points against UCF, uconn was stopped on downs at UCF 27, stopped on downs at the ucf 14, fumbled at the ucf 10, intercepted in the red zone ....

LSU tops for me. They were outgained, converted 3/16 on 3rd down but won turnovers 2-0, had fumble recovery luck and dominated field position all night.

On a per snap basis, they didn’t really dominate that game. It was a 50/50 game that had every volatile fluctuation go LSU’s way in significant fashion.

Stanford also - if you play out that exact game script 10 times, they cover twice.
Thank u on this one ... Missed most of the game.

Here are some:

Liberty/ODU 62 points - Game was sitting on 24-10 in the 4th when ODU imploded. 5 play 94 yard td drive for liberty = 31-10, ODU correctly goes for it on 4th down and 1 on their own 25 but fail, Liberty 2 plays 25 yard td drive = 38-10, ODU 5 and out, Liberty 53 yard TD run =45-10, ODU fumbles it away on their first play of next drive, Liberty 3 plays TD = 62-10.

UConn only 17 points against UCF, uconn was stopped on downs at UCF 27, stopped on downs at the ucf 14, fumbled at the ucf 10, intercepted in the red zone ....
Very good ones

some more that were deceiving .. do not have time to say why but others can

kennesaw state 20 ga st 24

wake forest v tulane only 40 pts (includes 6 overtime pts) + wake not having big lead at halftime

utah only winning by 31

kennesaw state 20 ga st 24

They threw an illadvised INT right before HT under 1m left leading 14-7 which allowed GaSt to tie it. Then late in the 4th trying to ice the game and kill the clock Kennesaw fumbled deep in GaSt terr and later was barely SOD again in GaSt terr. Down by 3 GaSt drove the length of the field, Kennesaw helped them with 2 penalties for a GaSt come-from-behind win (Ga St had never led in the entire game except for the final minute).

Agree on UConn

Disagree on LSU. They were milking a large lead thus the yardage numbers.

K st was misleading. Up 12-10 they had a PI, PF for 30yds of penalties to setup score right before half. Then instead of running it out to end half threw pick 6.

Colorado could’ve put three more scores on CSU if they wanted to. CSU is terrible. Worst tackling out of any game this week except maybe FAU. Quick 3/outs too.

Kansas last td was from muffed punt and got a fg in ot so they easily could’ve only put 13 on Nicholls. They averaged 1.8/rush and only 5.34/pass att

Easily LSU as Raems mentioned above- The Miami punter also shanked 2 punts when Miami was punting from around their own 20 yd line. Their QB was 11 of 24 for 140 yds. The offense only totaled 296 yds for the game. LSU should roll over Southeastern LA this week while Auburn enjoys a bye. Then LSU has a date at Auburn. That line should be low due to this Miami game and I am going to be jumping all over it. Auburn's offense is light years ahead of what the Hurricanes have. The LSU defense is full of studs but I think Auburn wins by 14 plus if not more.

The 1 thing I continue to see is SEC talent is head over heels better than any conference coming out the gate. Pac 12 won't have a Final Four representative in many years if there isn't major changes. They're closer to being the MAC than a Power 5

I dunno. LSU won by 16 but it felt like 30. They just dominated on both fronts and Rosier was, and still probably is, running for his life. In the 2H he would just drop back, give it 2 seconds, and take off as he knew he was going to be annihilated. It's not often you hear PxP and color guys effectively call a game in the 2Q but that's what McDonough and Blackledge did, especially the former. This game was over, and over early.

I dunno. LSU won by 16 but it felt like 30. They just dominated on both fronts and Rosier was, and still probably is, running for his life. In the 2H he would just drop back, give it 2 seconds, and take off as he knew he was going to be annihilated. It's not often you hear PxP and color guys effectively call a game in the 2Q but that's what McDonough and Blackledge did, especially the former. This game was over, and over early.

He often took off early because he just can’t read defenses, not because of pressure. LSU also had very few efficient, methodical drives which indicate sustainability.

I thought the miami yards were misleading. They converted several hail mary/throw it up for grabs plays. And they got yards against the backups that first td drive. There was never a point in that game 2Q on where it felt like miami was on par with LSU. Whether that is LSU being good or Miami sucking i am not sure but they were very clearly the better team on that given night.

LSU also called off the dogs. The 4Q stats are pretty meaningless in that game

The 1 thing I continue to see is SEC talent is head over heels better than any conference coming out the gate. Pac 12 won't have a Final Four representative in many years if there isn't major changes. They're closer to being the MAC than a Power 5
The Big 12 produces less talent than any power 5 conference but they at least have Oklahoma. Although they can’t win titles. But yeah the SECs recruiting and NFL talent has been the best for a long time now.

I thought the miami yards were misleading. They converted several hail mary/throw it up for grabs plays. And they got yards against the backups that first td drive. There was never a point in that game 2Q on where it felt like miami was on par with LSU. Whether that is LSU being good or Miami sucking i am not sure but they were very clearly the better team on that given night.

LSU also called off the dogs. The 4Q stats are pretty meaningless in that game
Yep, the final score was actually misleading in Miami’s favor. I misread that game miserably.

Ole Miss 47 - Texas Tech 27 ... not so much from how the game played out, but going forward ...

Ole Miss Scored a TD quick, TTU came right back and scored ... within 4.5 minutes game was 7-7 which included a TTU drive of 90 yards. (If you didn’t see the catch that kept that drive alive, please go back and watch it)

Ole Miss ran back the following kickoff for a TD ... FYI, Jaylon Jones took that shit to the house and it was fun to watch ... we won’t be seeing him the rest of the season, torn ACL ... he was also a starting DB

next two possessions results in 3 and out for TTU and a field goal for ole Miss

Next drive for TTU, 10 minutes into 1st QTR, their starting QB Carter went down with an ankle injury

wont detail rest of the half but TTU lost a starting defender due to targeting, UM gave up 9 and 11 play drives that resulted in 10 more points ... halftime score was 30-17

2nd half:
TTU starting QB didn’t reutrn, they also lost another starting defensive player (late 4th qtr)

Game was 17-10 second half, UM favor ... TTU failed on 4 attempts at end of game with 1st and goal from 9

Box Score: (I’ll list leading team and then both teams stats)
1st downs - TTU 31 - 22
3rd down conversions TTU 8/19 ... 4/13
4th down conversions UM 1/1 ... 0/3
Total Yards UM 546 ... 486
Rushing Yards UM (210 -164)
Time of Possesion ... TTU 36:25 ... 23:35
Turnovers UM had 1, none for TTU

FINAL THOUGHTS:
UM will consistently give up 150+ to opposing RBs, SEC teams with strong combos RBs will be 200+

UM defense will give up 24+ to SEC opponents, and that’s only low because they play Vandy

Based on first 10 minutes, this game should have come down to last 10 minutes had TTU not lost starting QB and 2 defensive starters

UM offense is gonna score points, defense is gonna give up plenty, overs have to be considered live the entire game.

(Sent from my iPhone, sorry for briefity and any errors)

:shake:

I thought the miami yards were misleading. They converted several hail mary/throw it up for grabs plays. And they got yards against the backups that first td drive. There was never a point in that game 2Q on where it felt like miami was on par with LSU.

Yeah, that was the same takeaway I had. It was just mens against boys for the most part. And I don't if that's a slight to Miami or a plus to LSU.

Back