Military Bowl Discussion (Marshall v Maryland)

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
I'm in work (somewhat busy today), but I will post some thoughts on this 2:30 pm game. I'm sure this game will receive a lot of action considering its timing. Feel free to post your thoughts.

First thing that jumps out at me is that this game is in Maryland, just about 30 miles from Maryland campus. I also read that ticket sales were in the high 20,000's which is pretty good for a minor bowl such as this.

not going to over think it. I have Marshall winning by 11. So at 2.5, I think it warrants a play on Marshall.

GL

These 2 teams have a common opponent: Va Tech. Marshall lost by 8 earlier in the year AT Va Tech. Maryland won by 3 later in the year AT Va Tech.

not going to over think it. I have Marshall winning by 11. So at 2.5, I think it warrants a play on Marshall.

GL

Just looking at the offenses, I think Marshall has the edge for sure. I want to dig into the defensive numbers and the size of both teams O-lines. My guess is Maryland wants to pound the ground today and keep Marshall's offense off the field.

Maryland is hard to figure out. They show up when you don't expect it and lay an egg when you expect a good effort out of them. I took them and the points against FSU, didn't make another wager on them this year.

Just looking at the offenses, I think Marshall has the edge for sure. I want to dig into the defensive numbers and the size of both teams O-lines. My guess is Maryland wants to pound the ground today and keep Marshall's offense off the field.

Strategy only works with a lead...

Marshall is 1-4 against bowl teams this year as is Maryland. Maryland has certainly played a more difficult schedule within the ACC. C.J. Brown is going to be a handful for the Thundering Herd as well as the Maryland defensive front. 6 games this year Maryland has record 4 sacks or more. This reminds me slightly of the Pittsburgh/Bowling Green game yesterday. Mid-major favored over BCS team but ultimately the team with a better D-Line and O-Line prevailed. I'm taking the three points and the Terps.

It's tough to really analyze Maryland's season considering the injuries. But the QB, Brown, appears to be as healthy as ever.

For Marshall, they beat ECU and they lost to Rice. In both games, they gave up an average of 5 yards per carry. That stands out to me. If Maryland can run the ball, they can control clock.

Marshall is 1-4 against bowl teams this year as is Maryland. Maryland has certainly played a more difficult schedule within the ACC. C.J. Brown is going to be a handful for the Thundering Herd as well as the Maryland defensive front. 6 games this year Maryland has record 4 sacks or more. This reminds me slightly of the Pittsburgh/Bowling Green game yesterday. Mid-major favored over BCS team but ultimately the team with a better D-Line and O-Line prevailed. I'm taking the three points and the Terps.

Yep, the SOS for each team was posted in VK's bowl thread...Maryland's was #72 and Marshall's was #126. FWIW, Pitt's was #33 and BGSU's was #123 yesterday.

Marshall traveled pretty badly all year. This is limited travel. Similar to VTech. Rice game got away from them early. I think they have the best player on the field in Cato or whatever his name is.

It's tough to really analyze Maryland's season considering the injuries. But the QB, Brown, appears to be as healthy as ever.

For Marshall, they beat ECU and they lost to Rice. In both games, they gave up an average of 5 yards per carry. That stands out to me. If Maryland can run the ball, they can control clock.

Long and Diggs are big losses for Maryland.

Marshall is in the middle of the pack nationally in rushing yards allowed per game, ranking 63rd with 165 yards per game allowed on the ground.

I see fairly even action.

The line moved from 2.5 to 3 though, so the money appears to be on Marshall. The volume of bets may be fairly even, but the line didn't move to 3 for no reason...you were even surprised it moved to 3 (which is obviously a key number), something made them move the line and that was probably more money on Marshall than Maryland.

Marshall offense at one point was among the leaders in seconds per play at 18 secs between plays. I saw this stat in November. I think their uptempo dictates this game. It's a Bowl game that has the makings of having both teams in the 30's and maybe higher for Marshall.

I don't see any motivational edges in this one. Both teams weren't very good last year, but have improved this year. Marshall head coach is very experienced, having played in many bowls in his career. Maryland head coach is looking for his first win bowl win with the program.

C-USA are the lowest scoring conference in bowl history.

Doc Holliday is 1-0 ATS in Bowls.

Randy Edsall is 3-2 ATS in Bowls.

I don't see any motivational edges in this one. Both teams weren't very good last year, but have improved this year. Marshall head coach is very experienced, having played in many bowls in his career. Maryland head coach is looking for his first win bowl win with the program.

Think the Terps will be motivated not to lose to a weaker conference in their home state.

Isn't the military bowl historically crazy/wild

What game was that a few years back?

I read that they are hoping to sell out the stadium, which holds 33,000. If so, that would be impressive for this kind of game. Military personel get in free, U of Maryland is nearby, and Marshall isn't far either.

Military Bowl History (teams, score, spread, ATS winner, SU winner)
[TABLE="width: 576"]
<tbody>[TR="class: even"]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, width: 64, align: center"]2008[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, width: 64, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]Eagle Bank Bowl[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, width: 64, align: center"]Navy[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, width: 64, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]19[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, width: 64, align: center"]Wake Forest[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, width: 64, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]29[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, width: 64, align: center"]-3[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, width: 64, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]WAKE[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, width: 64, align: center"]WAKE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd, bgcolor: #2F2F2F"]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]2009[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Eagle Bank Bowl[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]UCLA[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]30[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Temple[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]21[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]2010[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]Military Bowl[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]East Carolina[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]20[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]Maryland[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]51[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]-7.5[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]MARYL[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]MARYL[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]2011[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Military Bowl[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Toledo[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]42[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Air Force[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]41[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]3[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]AIRFOR[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]TOLEDO[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]2012[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]Military Bowl[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]San Jose State[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]29[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]Bowling Green[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]20[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]+7.5[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter odd-column, bgcolor: #3E3E3E, align: center"]SJ STATE[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter even-column, align: center"]SJ STATE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]2013[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Military Bowl[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Marshall[/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: rtecenter, align: center"]Maryland[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Isn't the military bowl historically crazy/wild

What game was that a few years back?

Here are the past Military Bowls (via a google search :D). You're probably talking about the 42-41 game, but the Military Bowl game doesn't look historically crazy (that 42-41 game was from what I remember though).

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH]Season[/TH]
[TH]Date[/TH]
[TH="colspan: 2"]Winning Team[/TH]
[TH="colspan: 2"]Losing Team[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2008[SUP][13][/SUP][/TD]
[TD]December 20, 2008[/TD]
[TD]Wake Forest[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]Navy[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2009[SUP][14][/SUP][/TD]
[TD]December 29, 2009[/TD]
[TD]UCLA[/TD]
[TD]30[/TD]
[TD]Temple[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2010[/TD]
[TD]December 29, 2010[/TD]
[TD]Maryland[/TD]
[TD]51[/TD]
[TD]East Carolina[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2011[/TD]
[TD]December 28, 2011[/TD]
[TD]Toledo[/TD]
[TD]42[/TD]
[TD]Air Force[/TD]
[TD]41[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2012[/TD]
[TD]December 27, 2012[/TD]
[TD]San Jose State[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]Bowling Green[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

As you can see, the last time Maryland played in this game, they crushed a C-USA team 51-20. Not that it really means much for today, just found it interesting. I'm going to see if I can find the game line for that game.

excerpt from 2010 writeup

Maryland vs. East Carolina Odds and Line Movement

The Terrapins opened as nine-point favorites, according to college football odds, but that line has fallen all the way down to Maryland –7.5. The total is one of the higher ones of bowl season, it’s 68.

Last edited:
Maryland are 5-1 ATS in their last six bowl appearances . . . The favorites have won SU in the last five editions of the Military Bowl . . . Marshall are 7-2 ATS in their last nine bowl appearances.

Maryland are 5-1 ATS in their last six bowl appearances . . . The favorites have won SU in the last five editions of the Military Bowl . . . Marshall are 7-2 ATS in their last nine bowl appearances.

Well, something's gotta give today huh?

Despite being 6.5-point favorites in the C-USA title game, Marshall were soundly beaten by the Rice Owls, 41-24, denying them a Liberty Bowl berth.

They wanna be here ?

On the other hand, the Terrapins struggled down the stretch before finishing the season with a convincing 41-21 win over North Carolina State to maintain their bowl game eligibility. Maryland were -3 faves in that game.

Maryland playing their bowl game in Annapolis is a bit of a joke. They are playing in a place that holds 33000 people. They played like shit at home all year after their first two cupcakes. To say this game being played here favors Maryland is quite a stretch.

Maryland playing their bowl game in Annapolis is a bit of a joke. They are playing in a place that holds 33000 people. They played like shit at home all year after their first two cupcakes. To say this game being played here favors Maryland is quite a stretch.

I thought the same thing 2 years ago when ISU played Rutgers in the Pinstripe. I figured Rutgers wouldn't be excited because they didn't get to travel for their bowl game.
Rutgers kicked the shit outta ISU and they looked like they were ready and wanted to be there. I wonder if no travel = no distractions and more focus.

Back