Middle Tennessee vs Western Kentucky Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Projecting Low-Scoring Affair Between MTSU and Western Kentucky

Western Kentucky (5-5) hosts the Blue Raiders (5-5) Friday at 8 PM ET in the 103rd '100 Miles of Hate' rivalry game. The visitors are favored by a field goal. The game total is set at 53.5.

'Over' backers will point to the fact that the last 5 meetings between these two teams went 'over' the total. But the playmakers missing from this year's game had produced 8 of the touchdowns scored in last year's shoot-out. Oddsmakers are struggling to account for the losses especially of MTSU's offensive play-makers: MTSU's over/under is 2-8 this season.

I'Tavius Mathers is gone: Mathers ran for 1500+ yards and 6.7 yards per carry and produced almost 200 yards of offense against WKU last season. Replacing him is a linebacker, who had played running back in high school. He adds a component of power to freshman Brad Anderson's quickness. Neither back has achieved a run of more than 37 yards. Without Mathers, MTSU lacks a big-play running back.

Quarterback Brent Stockstill's short, conservative passing game predominates MTSU's offensive game-plan. His top receiver, Richie James, injured himself for the season. James had accrued 200+ receiving yards and 2 touchdowns against WKU. James' absence makes it harder for Stockstill to locate a wide receiver who is able to quickly separate himself from the defensive back in order to facilitate Stockstill's short or intermediate passing game. Stockstill's yards per pass attempt, without James, has sunk from 7.8 last season to 6.9 this season.

Western Kentucky's shift to a 4-2-5 this season makes them match up well against the intermediate passing attack due to the increased number of defensive backs on the field. In terms of average opposing passer rating, the Hilltoppers' have improved from 62nd last season to 12th this season. The best antidote to a 4-2-5 defense is a power running game. So expect MTSU, which ranks 109th in run play %, to be uncomfortable on offense.

The Raiders won't have any trouble keeping WKU one-dimensional on offense. The Hilltoppers rank last with 2.2 yards per carry, .8 fewer than the next-best team, partly due to the injury of top running back Quinton Baker and partly due to the departure of 3 all-conference blockers.

Quarterback Mike White provides the key to WKU's offensive production. But the key to White's success is his pass protection.

White--and by extension WKY's offense--has consistently under-performed against defenses who excel at penetrating into the backfield. As touchdown favorites against Illinois, WKU produced only 7 points, White only 238 yards, while Illinois achieved 2 sacks, 5 tackles for loss and 4 quarterback hurries. As 16.5 point favorites at winless UTEP, WKU only scored 15 points, while UTEP managed 2 sacks, 2 QB hurries and 8 tackles for loss.

Under new defensive coordinator Scott Schafer, MTSU has improved in sack percentage from 101st last year to 56th this year. Schafer utilizes an aggressive scheme with various blitzes. White, behind an offensive line ranked 80th in sack percentage allowed, will face a lot of pressure, because MTSU does not need to worry much about WKU's run attack, because MTSU's experienced secondary rarely gives up the big play, and because MTSU's power run attack should help the Raiders maintain time of possession in order to keep its defense rested enough to maintain its aggression for four quarters.

The Verdict

I expect few points from MTSU's conservative offensive attack that should foreground a grinding power run game and whose regression from last year oddsmakers have yet to adjust to. Meanwhile, White will struggle to drive WKU's one-dimensional offense due to MTSU's pressure and sturdy secondary.

NCAAF Pick: 'Under' 53.5

BOL and feel free to discuss. Always seem to get a capping curve-ball and had to spend a lot of time catching up on their injuries and off-season departures. I think this makes the most sense.

Honestly not an expert in this conference so this took me a long ass time to cap. Feedback welcome especially before publication tomorrow. Thanks and BOL

Think maybe an outside perspective can be very good though. Just as often people overthink and watch too much.

Hes played the past 2 games tho, but still probably affected by the lack of playing time. Think the bigger deal in mtsu's system is not having top playmaker richie james anymore

I do. The loss of James will hurt, but let’s not put WKU D in the great category. I would classify it average at best.

12th in opp qb rating? But point is they match up really well against a conservative pass attack that doesnt have a proven power running game

What does that game have anything to do with this one? Auburn also controlled top and worn down georgia and ran it down their throats. Do i need to go find an example of better offenses who scored less? Penn state and sparty ended at 51 idk...transitive property is so useless imo

Not much of an opinion, I wouldn't take the under, it could hit, if it does I suspect it will be close.

If it loses it loses, but I don't think due to reasons listed above.

My main concern (every bet has a con to it) is probably wku's decimated d-line, but i also don't think mtsu's run game is proven or that good and it's certainly not their go-to on offense

Good for you right? Assuming you like to have more pts in your favor to work with. Not surprised it would go up. Perception is that both those offenses are good enough to score on each other's average defenses. But sometimes two offensive teams end up in a lower scoring game.

Yea like on the flip side I was stupidly excited when I got the highest number in the CMU/WMU game before the total plummeted and then the score went way over anyways. I was hoping that was sharp movement. I definitely like to be on the other side of the public and public money. I also like sometimes when a lot of smart people are on one side, sometimes it pays to be kind of "stupid" with one's reasoning. I am glad when my reasoning turns out to be contrarian and I hope it pays here.

Cool. Yeah different is good alot of times. Hope it comes in for you.

Way back when my friend and I used to buy all those sheets. Maybe you don't know, not sure how many are even published any more. Gold Sheet, Pointwise, winning points, powersweep, red sheet, some other sheets. We had this thing, when all sheets agreed we went the other way! Not sure how we did, but to remember all sheets agreeing lost more than it won. If it looks too obvious it often is.

Cool. Yeah different is good alot of times. Hope it comes in for you.

Way back when my friend and I used to buy all those sheets. Maybe you don't know, not sure how many are even published any more. Gold Sheet, Pointwise, winning points, powersweep, red sheet, some other sheets. We had this thing, when all sheets agreed we went the other way! Not sure how we did, but to remember all sheets agreeing lost more than it won. If it looks too obvious it often is.
So funny. I would do the same thing. Fade when everyone agreed. Pointwise, Northcoast, powesweep haha oh I remember waiting to get those in the mail, so exciting, kinda like waiting for Annie's Secert Decoder Ring and being a member of Annie's secret circle. "Only members of Annie's Secert Circle can decode the message"

But a couple times when I had the SI service i'd fade the plays that had 99% money on them and sometimes lose. Goes both ways

I know these teams pretty well from following conference. Is there something causing Western to be dog at home? I think they are roughly even. Shocked that MTSU is the dog.

Unlucky but inevitable that I got assigned coverage of the game on the day that I did. I doubled up on a higher number as well but 53.5 stands officially and I like that money seems to be pouring on the 'over." Happy to ride with you Johnny!

Unbelievable how persistent the public's impressions are. If game stays like this mtsu would be 2-9 on the over/under after scoring 40+ regularly last season. But this is this season with so much different. My articles generally require a lot of research.

Wow. What a way for a touchdown to be scored. I thought that was a forward pass at first. Kinda glad about it. Don't want overtime.

Such nonsense wtf. I dont think theres an excuse for any defense to be letting up two huge passing touchdowns like that

This happened with the Cuse game tho. Got congratulated after a nice first half and then lost the bet. I'd hope for experienced gamblers to know to not congratulate early as it exacerbates the frustration of a loss

Back