Michigan Regular Season Win Total Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
False Hopes to Keep Michigan Under 2018 Win Total

Michigan is counting on its transfer quarterback Shea Patterson to be some sort of savior. But Patterson will be the first reason why Michigan doesn’t reach 10 wins.

Michigan 2018 Regular Season Win Total

NCAAF Pick: „Under“ 9.5

Top Heisman Candidate: Shea Patterson +2000

Odds to Win Big Ten: +300

Odds to Win National Championship: +1400

2017 Record: 8-5 SU, 5-7-1 ATS, 6-6-1 O/U

Coach:

Jim Harbaugh's college coaching resume is slowly converting into doubters those who had high expectations for him. He led one double-digit win season at Stanford, where he had superstar Andrew Luck at quarterback. He did have two double-digit win seasons at Michigan—in 2015, where Michigan was led by ultra ball-secure transfer quarterback Jake Rudock, who was a perfect fit in Harbaugh’s pro-style offense— and in 2016, where Michigan was favored by double digits in all but one game. So far at Michigan, he is 1-5 against Michigan State and Ohio State (the one win coming in MSU’s disastrous three-win season), 5-9 against ranked teams, 1-7 against top-ten teams, 1-2 in bowl games, 0-6 as an underdog, 0-3 against ranked teams on the road, and 9-8 since destroying Maryland in 2016.

Offense:

The Michigan fanbase seems to view transfer quarterback (from Ole Miss) Shea Patterson as a savior. This viewpoint is only understandable in light of last season's nightmarish quarterback carousel. John O’Korn, (who came from the University of Houston) Brandon Peters, and Wilton Speight averaged a combined 53.5% completion and threw more interceptions than touchdowns. They repeatedly missed simple throws, including many wide open deep routes to its speedy receivers, and cost their team in close and big games.

Patterson is the third transfer quarterback that Harbaugh has brought to Ann Arbor. He’s nothing like the pro-style quarterbacks Luck and Rudock who’ve brought success to Harbaugh. He’s popular because of his relative mobility, which will hopefully offset issues with pass protection. His deep ball is accurate as long as he’s not throwing across his body (to the left side of the field) where he was 3-for-16 with two interceptions. Harbaugh has supposedly studied the Philadelphia Eagles’ use of RPO and he also utilized some read option while at San Francisco with mobile quarterback Colin Kaepernik. So he will probably change the offense some to suit Patterson. Some change is important because Harbaugh likes his quarterbacks to go through his progressions and Patterson isn’t used to doing that.

Michigan’s „savior“ has yet to justify any hype. His numbers are largely skewed by dominating South Alabama, Tennessee-Martin, and Auburn—but Auburn after Ole Miss was down 35-3 at half and Auburn’s defense clearly took its foot off the pedal. Even O’Korn succeeded against the likes of Purdue’s pass defense. The key to understanding Patterson—and even Michigan as a whole—is to assess performance against good teams because Michigan has one of the hardest schedules and will face six teams that finished in the top 52 in opposing passer rating against ranked teams. Patterson faced two pass defenses who ranked in the top 80 in opposing completion percentage, Alabama and LSU, and he failed to complete half his passes against them. His completion percentage against both schools was well below each one’s respective season average of opposing completion. Patterson wasn’t just inefficient, though, he was also dangerous. He threw nine interceptions in seven starts, one fewer than Michigan quarterbacks did all season. He struggled whenever the opposing coverage could take away his pass options so that he had to drop back and go through his progressions. Harbaugh likes to utilize big formations to force defenses to employ big, coverage-inept defenders and Patterson can sometimes set his feet and release the ball quickly enough to make simple throws. But he’s also a notoriously reckless player who makes aggressive mistakes and is also anxious and makes mistakes when he bails too soon from the pocket. He’s a poor fit in Michigan because of his low quarterback IQ in terms of reading coverages and his poor discipline. Not only will he not be Michigan’s savior, he will play worse than he did while at Ole Miss and not be the huge upgrade over O’Korn that Michigan fans pray for. What Harbaugh needs is the complete opposite of Patterson, a Rudock reincarnate.

The Junior only had seven starts due to injury, but durability is crucial for a Michigan quarterback because he'll have to take hits. Michigan’s o-line ranked 111th in sacks allowed last season. The offensive line should benefit from increased simplicity and a new coach from Ohio State, but it’s also a case of „it can’t get any worse.“ It suffered missed assignments and other blunders that left them ill-prepared against stunts and blitzes. The interior should improve if sophomore Cesar Ruiz transitions smoothly from right guard to center, which is his natural position. The biggest questions remain at both tackle positions, where different players are in the mix to start. Tackle Jalen Mayfield, rated a three-star recruit by ESPN, could become Michigan's second ever freshman offensive lineman to start the season opener.

The transfer quarterback will see a downgrade in support, especially at wide receiver. He’ll have to develop chemistry with a new crew that utterly lacks the proven resume of his former teammates, first of all A.J. Brown, who caught 75 passes for 1252 yards and is perhaps the nation’s top receiver. Tarik Black showed promise as a deep threat. The freshman led the receiving crew before his injury in the third game. On the one hand, he didn’t get a full season of work under his belt. On the other, he was the most reliable freshman in terms of catch and drop rates and his speed (mid-4.4 40-yard dash) allowing him to get open. Donovan Peoples-Jones was a five-star recruit because of his athleticism. He put up poor numbers, but improved his confidence and decisiveness off the line as the season progressed. Like fellow then-freshman Nico Collins, he showed inconsistency in terms of drops and route running. The tight ends were the main weapons and found the most, but still modest, success with their combination of size and athleticism. The whole receiving crew returns. It would benefit from continuity and by eventually developing chemistry with its new quarterback, but it also needs to help Patterson by polishing its skill-set and improving in 50-50 balls.

The Wolverine running backs form a talented committee, led by Karan Higdon’s 994 yards and 6.1 yards per carry. But, as is the case with Patterson, the brunt of his success came against bad teams—Rutgers, Minnesota, and Indiana. Overall, Michigan averaged 2.8 rushing yards or fewer against Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State, finishing below the defense’s opposing average yards per carry in each game. Michigan’s offensive line was strong in short-yardage situations, ranking seven in power success rate and 47 in stuff rate, because of its interior, which still comprises its strength. But the problem was that Michigan averaged 7.3 yards-to-go on third down and therefore struggled to convert third downs.

Defense:

Michigan’s defense flopped once at Penn State—but an off-week happens. Otherwise, it held the two best opposing rush attacks that it faced, Wisconsin and Ohio State, well below its season average in terms of yards per carry. Michigan returns four of five defensive linemen from last season, including two first-team Big 10—Chase Winovich, who led the team with 10 tackles for loss and eight sacks — and Rashan Gary, who had six sacks and six tackles for loss as both defensive tackle and defensive end and led UM with seven quarterback hits despite repeatedly facing double and triple teams. Granted, replacing current Oakland Raider Maurice Hurst at defensive tackle will be tough with the current batch of more inexperienced, less proven players at that position.

The linebackers also return two All-Big 10, Devin Bush, who led UM with 100 tackles, and Khaleke Hudson, who contributed 82 tackles, 8 sacks, and 9.5 tackles for loss. Not only were they disruptive behind the line of scrimmage, but they were versatile enough to be effective in pass coverage, combining for 17 pass breakups and three interceptions. They helped Michigan have the best pass defense in terms of opposing yards allowed. They held every regular season opponent under 200 pass yards except Penn State. This entire secondary returns, led by lockdown cornerback Lavert Hill, who was second team all-Big Ten with seven pass breakups and two interceptions, and David Long, who added six broken passes and two interceptions.

Michigan’s defense was great despite its stagnant offense repeatedly putting them in bad field position—a problem that the interception-prone Patterson will exacerbate. Despite their strong numbers against opposing rush and pass attacks, they held Ohio State to its points-per-game average against winning teams, held Wisconsin below its inflated (by a cupcake schedule) average by four points, and failed to hold PSU. I’m discounting the effort against Michigan State because the weather was disgusting. Because of Michigan’s offensive inefficiency, the opposing offense didn’t have to do too much to win. In Michigan’s losses, the opponent averaged 4.5 yards per carry—its stronger opponents, Ohio State’s JK Dobbins and Mike Weber and Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor easily exceeded this number.

Last edited:
Schedule:

I foresee a couple decisive losses in games where Michigan lacks an advantage on defense (and it won’t have one on offense) and many close games where Michigan’s strong defense will keep it close. Under Harbaugh, Michigan is 4-5 in games decided by seven points or fewer. Even if Michigan becomes a 50% team in close games, the „under“ won’t be a problem.

Michigan will lose at Michigan State, which it must play directly after facing physical Wisconsin. MSU compares defensively while being superior on offense. Last season, Michigan State ranked 44th in opposing passer rating against winning FBS teams, only six spots behind Michigan. The Spartans return their entire secondary plus three defensive backs with starting experience. Moreover, MSU ranked 27th in opposing yards per carry against winning FBS teams, 16 spots ahead of Michigan. The Spartans bring back six of their top eight defensive linemen. Kenny Willekes surprised as a walk-on and led the line with seven sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss, earning him third-team All-Big 10. Furthermore, the linebackers return five of seven and are led by Joe Bachie, who, as a sophomore, led the team with 100 tackles and was second-team All-Big 10.

Offensively, the Spartans boast a balanced attack led by one of the conference's best running backs in Le'Veon Bell…err… I mean LJ Scott. With his mix of strength and speed, Scott excels at both accruing yards after contact and forcing missed tackles. Like his famous predecessor Bell, he shows patience in waiting for holes to develop and explosiveness when he hits those holes. He struggled last season behind an o-line that ranked poorly in stuff and power success rate, but he still proved his value. When Michigan State remained devoted to giving Scott carries and gave him more than 11, the Spartans went 9-0 (including bowl game). The senior Scott will benefit from a strongly improved offensive line whose returning starts increases from 40 last season to 66. Four starters are back and hopefully the injury bug won’t be nearly as bad. Furthermore, despite an inexperienced receiver crew, quarterback Brian Lewerke improved in completion percentage. This year’s receiver crew will be much more experienced with the top three returning. It benefits from the depth that saw propitious playing time last season. Lewerke’s favorite target is Felton Davis, who led the team with 55 receptions, 776 passing yards and nine touchdowns because of his size in the red zone. Darrell Stewart and Cody White were also reliable, big-play capable targets. Lewerke can also run, accruing 559 rush yards with five touchdowns off 4.5 yards per carry.

Ohio State will serve Michigan another loss. OSU was the only team to score at least 30 points against Michigan. They’ll improve offensively with a quarterback who can reliably throw downfield. Dwayne Haskins has a strong arm and great accuracy in terms of completion percentage downfield and outside the numbers. He’ll stretch Michigan’s defense out. OSU is stacked with receivers, six of whom each led the team in receiving yards in at least one game. The same receivers, minus a tight end, and the same running backs who combined for over 2,000 yards rushing, return. Defensively, OSU will benefit from an incredible mismatch—first-team All-American Nick Bosa at defensive end against whichever tackle opposite him. Bosa led OSU with 7.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks and he’ll be complemented at the other end position by five-star recruit Chase Young, who was effective when he played last year and owned the opposing quarterback in the Spring Game. Three defensive tackles with significant game-time experience return, led by Dre’mont Jones, whom Mel Kiper had listed as the eighth-best draft-eligible tackle. He’s explosive up the middle and known additionally for his athleticism and ability to change direction and pursue.

Wisconsin will also defeat Michigan, although the Badgers rebuild both on the d-line and in the secondary. A weaker secondary isn’t concerning against run-first Michigan, nor is a downgrade in the defensive line. The d-line will still be effective because of defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard’s genius. His concepts within the 3-4 defense tend to confuse the opposing offensive line while freeing his edge rushers and to confuse the quarterback while disguising coverages. Patterson won’t be comfortable nor will the running game improve upon the 1.6 yards per carry that it mustered last season at Wisconsin. Furthermore, Wisconsin’s linebacking crew is stacked. Andrew Van Ginkel developed into a star in the second half of last season, particularly with his sacks and turnovers against Ohio State and then Miami. He’s joined by last year’s leading tacklers, first-team All-American T.J. Edwards, who was a finalist for the Butkus Award, and Ryan Connolly, who led UW with 88 tackles despite starting only six games.

Offensively, Wisconsin can thrive in the run game, led by Jonathan Taylor, who averaged 6.6 yards per carry while gaining nearly 2000 yards, and arguably the nation’s best o-line with 150 starts returning. The offensive line is the key difference between both teams and will help Wisconsin’s offense be more productive by leaning on its run game.

We can still get another loss—either at Notre Dame—which, if Michigan were to win this, would be Michigan's first road victory against a ranked team under Harbaugh— or against Penn State. Northwestern will be a coin-flip. In the past three seasons, Northwestern has a great history after its bye week under Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald. NW is 3-0 ATS in the situation, achieving an upset against Penn State, another at Michigan State, and almost halving the spread at Wisconsin. The defensive line and linebackers return significant experience. Second-team Big Ten Joe Graziano led the d-line with nine sacks and four forced fumbles and rising star, the Big Ten Defensive Freshman of the Year, Paddy Fisher returns at middle linebacker. He led all freshmen with 113 tackles and he leads all returning FBS linebackers with 15.8 run-stop percentage. His most famous performance was earning 22 tackles against Michigan State. Nate Hall led NW with 11.5 tackles for loss. Northwestern’s only concern comes at safety, but Patterson won’t tend to get enough time to sit back and chuck a deep ball.

Last edited:
So it turns out that the owner of where I work for is a huge Michigan fan (BAR's long lost cousin?). My editor had never told me to avoid mistakes because it's quite obvious that I need to. And yet, this time, and only this time, he told me repeatedly to avoid mistakes. So the owner will scour my article and I want to impress him. I researched this for a week and spent a good day writing it. I hope it's very insightful and interesting to discuss. I'd very much appreciate it if anyone (*cough* BAR) correct any errors that they notice. And BAR you're the Michigan expert, obviously feel free to take this thread over as much as you want.

Last edited:
After all these Big 10 articles, i'm essentially committing myself to Wisconsin "over" 10 wins and Michigan State "over" 8.5 wins. This concludes my RSW work with the Big 10

Last edited:
What the heck you doing posting a 8.5 RSW for? It's 9. And it's not like you are doing it to your advantage...

Shit really? At what book? All I can see is what BetOnline has got. I thought it was 9. It had been while I was researching this! 8.5 is at a big + tho

O wow 5dimes also has it at plus but at 9. I think I prefer that to the chalk for the extra cushion between win and push

I always do this, get myself lost in analysis and forget the simplest but also most important things lol pretty sure its typical of the INTP personality

Lol why not?

Because if every single thing goes wrong for Michigan and every single thing goes right for Indiana that’ll be a 14 point spread at the Big House. Connelly has it at 19 entering the season per S&P+. It’s mathematically identical to saying Michigan States home opener against Utah State is a coin flip.

Because if every single thing goes wrong for Michigan and every single thing goes right for Indiana that’ll be a 14 point spread at the Big House. Connelly has it at 19 entering the season per S&P+. It’s mathematically identical to saying Michigan States home opener against Utah State is a coin flip.

Odds are just public perception, look at how wildly off game results repeatedly are compared to point spread and that's just on paper, it doesn't address my point of a trap.
I don't think it matters where it is. Home field is so overrated nowadays. App State won in the Big House even. Teams signal, they're players aren't afraid of crowds anymore

It's not a coin flip but I do believe Indiana will beat at least one of OSU/UM/PSU

Thing is, if some dude on the Internet is already identifying that game as a trap, the coaches have. I wouldn't look at that angle specifically. Traps are made by prior week results usually, not the schedule in general.

Michigan 2-3 ATS last five years before Ohio State game, 0-2 ATS in the home games with an upset loss.

Every year we talk about fading Bama the week before the Auburn game when they face some garbage team. I disagree that traps are only made by prior week. I feel like this is a pretty classic scenario and I like a lot of what Indiana has this season. I don't think you can always prepare yourself for a trap even if you tell yourself consciously, I don't think telling yourself is enough and sometimes you can over-tell yourself (thinking a certain #1 seed upset in March Madness) and out-tell yourself.

Whatever if I have to try this hard to justify it it's not worth adding it to everything else i'll take it out and i'm really not depending (hoping to depend) on IU anyways at all. Thanks.

GOY lines back in May ... not sure what happened with them ...

Michigan currently tiny fave at ND
Michigan -3 to Wisconsin
Michigan -3.5 to Penn State
Michigan 9 at ohio state
Michigan 1 at Michigan State
And you can extrapolate some lines ...

Notre Dame -7 at NW would seem to indicated Michigan will be over a TD favorite at NW
Wisconsin -17 to Nebraska .... would seem to indicate Michigan would be a DD favorite to the corn
Huge faves to wmich, smu, rutgers, terps, indiana,

Obviously those lines could have changed since the time i wrote them down and certainly they won't be the actual lines ...

But to raems point, if Indiana and NW are coinflips then so is Ohio State in the terms of gambling lines.

There are certainly enough close games for them to win 8 or less if things don't go their way but saying things like "Wisconsin will also defeat Michigan" so plainly while calling Indiana a coin flip seems a tad off to me but it is an opinion piece and if you aren't going to have strong opinions then no one will read you, so don't be shy when you do, I guess.

No opinion on their RSW at current numbers, and they sure do find a way to F crap up a lot, but I have a good feeling about this particular version of Michigan.

Strong opinions yes but also tight logic and you make an excellent point VK in making that analogy with OSU

I just can't see them losing b2b weeks against Wisconsin and MSU, think it's more likely they win both than lose both. Pretty high on UM myself this season.

I'll add more Wednesday but few things to look at. The WRs and TEs. You are off there. Also, more than anything is the change of the offensive coaching staff. This is worth much more than you would realize. I'll give ya about 10 more talking points good and BAD in a few days.

I find Michigan's coaching situation confusing. Who's calling the plays? What does Drevno's departure mean for everybody left? What role do Pep and McElwain have in the playcalling and offensive game plan?

I've operated under the assumption that new position coaches is bad for young players in that position trying to develop, that they'd rather have continuity. I followed that reasoning on Penn State and Mich (McElwain)

Last edited:
Not gonna try and kid anyone, no way a week of research can come close what the die-hard intelligent fans accumulate in knowledge over all this time since 2017

Read a lot (and watched whatever film shown) about Hornibrook also improving a lot more than numbers suggest but that's a somewhat different conversation

I always wonder if it's best that I get these article assignments of other people's teams vs of other teams not represented here. I mean it probably ends up adding more but I can't possibly add nearly as much by myself as the actual fans/experts do.

As of two weeks out, you have the best thread on Michigan football on the site. BAR and Hunt and others will come in with more information .. that is what this is all about..

Best of luck this year.

We got 7 games that should be wins, 4 coin flips and Ohio St. which looks like an Loss.

The QB's were just brutal last year. I like the QB a lot this year and not only should he be a shit load better but he is going to take some pressure off that run game so defense's can't load up the box and stop the run like they did last year.

Odds are just public perception, look at how wildly off game results repeatedly are compared to point spread and that's just on paper, it doesn't address my point of a trap.
I don't think it matters where it is. Home field is so overrated nowadays. App State won in the Big House even. Teams signal, they're players aren't afraid of crowds anymore

It’s a 19 point estimated result, not point spread. Connelly doesn’t predict games his models do, for all we know after a line gets shaded for Michigan it’ll be a 24+ point line.

As a warning, Harbaugh has a phenomenal track record as a favorite with multiple weeks to prepare (ND game). If you take a small leap and go with 65+% trends assuming a win there, that leaves at NW, Penn State, Wisconsin, at MSU and at OSU as the 5 games they theoretically could lose. I can’t argue that 4 losses are impossible, but personally don’t expect it.

Michigan was a top 10 team on a per snap basis in 15 and 16 and took a small step back last year in what every knowledgeable fan would tell you was a retooling year. This is by far Harbaugh’s most talented team - combine that with the taste of a down year for all these returning studs, it makes for Michigan being a top 5 team on a per snap basis imo. With that said, they can be a top 5 team and still lose 2 or 3 games with this schedule. At MSU after being bruised by Wisconsin is particularly brutal.

Back