Matchday 2 Discussion

Also expect money to flow into FRA, anybody see that differently?

I would think so as well, but it hasn't happened so far. I jumped on France -1 -114 early expecting it to rise, and now I'm seeing +104 and then -1.5 is up to +176. I won't be able to pass on that as I think France's strengths will exploit what Peru tries to do, and it could get ugly.

I like the pieces obv but they all want to be the main attraction. Frustrating to watch.

i don't think Deschamps is as terrible as everyone says, mainly because the job of mixing those talents (and egos) is far from easy. But in a game where they are able to flow freely, I don't like the other team's chances.

If Peru is going to win the game, i think they're going to need to score a couple. A game full of possession would be great for them, and maybe they accomplish that unlikely feat, but with a +1 I think you're hoping to hold FRA to 1. They got two in the opener, barely, but that was against a defend-at-all-costs AUS side and Peru is too small/doesn't want to play that type of game

If you can manage it .. you want to finish 2nd in the group G in a big, big way. If Germany stumbles again, it is a pretty clean path for England or Belgium

If you can manage it .. you want to finish 2nd in the group G in a big, big way. If Germany stumbles again, it is a pretty clean path for England or Belgium

I think anyone wants to play Germany their defense looked easier to cut up than the apple pies you bake

rgentina XI for tomorrow: Caballero; Mercado, Otamendi, Tagliafico; Salvio, Enzo, Mascherano, Acuna; Messi, Meza; Aguero. This via @FOXSportsArg

odd to see it out so soon, but i guess there's no southpaw on the mound to consider.

CRO gonna try to control possession, how do we feel about their defense? I don't think we can expect Messi to be kept off the scoreboard again, especially on a pen, but Aguero over Higuain seems like the right call for ARG

I’d be surprised if Croatia don’t crowd the central midfield in this game.

I’ve gone away from my original post , I don’t think Messi will have much room to operate

I really think this is low scoring and could be our first 0-0 game

Restarts , free kicks , etc are where I believe Croatia could present issues for Argentina.

odd to see it out so soon, but i guess there's no southpaw on the mound to consider.

CRO gonna try to control possession, how do we feel about their defense? I don't think we can expect Messi to be kept off the scoreboard again, especially on a pen, but Aguero over Higuain seems like the right call for ARG

Granted this is being reported by a guy who saw their practice and these were the 11 that were out there , so it may not be 100% accurate .

Obviously he doesn’t rate Dyabla for some reason but really surprised Pavon is not in the lineup , maybe he views him as a super sub

Have under in Aussie/Den match but kinda like it in all 3 tomorrow

makes sense based on how this tournament has gone, despite the over streak in the middle, but i think Peru/FRA is going to be high scoring

A lot of talk that France will play with Giroud up top tomorrow

first reported by moi

...and it makes sense against the shortest team in the tournament

makes sense based on how this tournament has gone, despite the over streak in the middle, but i think Peru/FRA is going to be high scoring

My thing with France is the same thing with Argentina, ton of great parts but never can put it all together as a team...what makes them worse even is that EVERYONE on that team wants to be the star...I'm on Peru + and the draw, 1-1 sounds about right. Need to see Peru finish because they should have chances. Feels like they could have totaled this game at 3 and still gotten plenty of takers on over, I just don't see it. I expect a bit different pace than Peru/Denmark which was crazy, just no finishing and I don't wager on individual matchups. Just hoping Peru keep it close to the vest, they're well enough skilled to do that. And Pogba looks awful to boot...France back line seems plenty leaky as well, so the chances should be there, can Peru finish on this stage? Hope so.

i don't think you can line it at 3 based on this tournament, plus how bad FRA looked and Peru can't even finish penalties

Agreed on the ARG & FRA teams not being very good, but i don't think they have to be as cohesive vs Peru like they do vs a unified defense a la Australia or if they played Iran because the game will be open. I don't think Peru can play another way, which will allow a team of individuals to show their talent

And this is all said from the dog side as I'm trying like heck not to let my pending wagers show any more involving Peru. But, asking FRA to win by more than a goal is asking a lot

GER has to bounce back, SWE doesn't seem like they can threaten on offense

But the way Germany's defense looked against Mexico, anybody could threaten imo. (just being devil's advocate for discussion's sake altho I kinda like Sweden here). Did not appreciate how much Germany's team has changed since 2014, with Götze and Schürrle's form having disappeared a lot of 2014's dynamic and creativity did as well, in defense I do not know who the back opposite Kimmich is (I do but yeah lol) Hummels will also be out. But Plattenhardt has as little experience as Werner and it seemed quite apparent that neither possesses the awareness or experience for this stage. And now Germany is in a position that it's not used to, backs against the wall, without the leadership of old like Schweini

I had never heard of Plattenhardt, but you've been quite angry at Werner and i'm not sure that's deserved. Also, while Lahm and Bastian have moved on, there's still a massive group of contributors from those great teams still playing key roles so i think you're overreacting to a poor performance against a really good opponent (who you're also overlooking)

Their defense only allowing a single goal despite all the chances MEX had tells me that is not the problem, the tactics and balance were. This can be changed really quickly and may not need to be because SWE and KOR are very unlikely to take advantage of these even if they remained the same

Back