Manny Ramirez traded to Dodgers

The Red Sox traded Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned. Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned. The Pirates will get four minor leaguers in the three-way trade.

Manny will be Manny in Hollywood.

The Los Angeles Dodgers swooped in at Thursday's trade deadline and acquired one of the greatest sluggers of this generation, acquiring Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox as part of a three-way deal in which Boston acquired outfielder Jason Bay from the Pittsburgh Pirates, sources told CBSSports.com.

In return for Bay, sources say, Pittsburgh will receive right-handed pitcher Craig Hansen and outfielder Brandon Moss from the Red Sox. Also, the Dodgers will send third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris to the Pirates.

Hansen was Boston's first-round pick in the 2005 draft and Morris was the Dodgers' first-round pick in the 2006 draft.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10915249

This is great for LA. LaRoche blows. Too bad they couldn't unload Ethier and Andruw in the process.....

I disagree Kyle - Bay is not all he's cracked up to be - and he's never played a pressure game in his life in MLB....

Manny may be done, but they will miss him this year.

tom_cruise_dancing_gif.gif

I disagree Kyle - Bay is not all he's cracked up to be - and he's never played a pressure game in his life in MLB....

Manny may be done, but they will miss him this year.

As a Pirate fan illl be cheering for him to do well, but like I said in the other thread, the Dodgers got away with a crime here, gave up nothing for Manny basically. Laroche can have potential and I dont know any thing about Morris, for MANNY RAMIREZ!??!?

yah i cant believe we gave up brandon moss in that deal. hansen i can see, but moss will be a solid starter for pitt for years. the sox just never had any room for him.

Yeah, I heard a lot of good things from Boston fans I know about Moss.

Bay's a good guy, but he isn't an upgrade from Manny, that's for sure. And Ellsbury and Drew aren't going anywhere.

I think Boston got the short end of the stick here personally

As a Pirate fan illl be cheering for him to do well, but like I said in the other thread, the Dodgers got away with a crime here, gave up nothing for Manny basically. Laroche can have potential and I dont know any thing about Morris, for MANNY RAMIREZ!??!?

WEll manny is a better player , alex.

I am just saying that boston was done with this guy and to get that much value out of him in the trade was spectacular work.

Honestly the personnel decisions that the organizations in boston make are just masterful ( celtics , red sox , patriots , bruins ).

Well I dont think this is a terrible trade for Boston, I just think Dodgers got away with murder. Bay is gonna try 10 times harder then Ramirez ever would there, and he is a great feilder

I have to agree with scdoggy, kyle. Not to mention, I think Hansen is a hell of a prospect. Boston got the short end of the stick in this three-team trade, but at the same time I don't know what went on behind closed doors and why Boston was so persistent in ridding of Manny.

pirates are fucking retarded they will never have a good team

How? They got pitching, what they needed...they are the #4 offense in the country and moss has the potential to be just as good if not better then bay. Pirates lost nothing on this

Peter Gammons just nailed this...

"With Jason Bay they might not make the playoffs, with Manny Ramirez they would have had no chance to make the playoffs"

Peter Gammons just nailed this...

"With Jason Bay they might not make the playoffs, with Manny Ramirez they would have had no chance to make the playoffs"

Gammons is no more than a PR schill for the Red Sox.

Your telling me that if they didnt make this trade, Gammons thinks they would have had no chance to MAKE the playoffs? Giimme a break.

Tim Kirgen is the only one worth listening too on baseball analysis on espn. That guy is real smart and he knows just about everyone in the minors and majors.

Gammons is right on, Olney is way off

We all knew a trade would get done, which is why I was so shocked at 415 nothing was reported

ESPN just had the breaking news that Manny got traded to the Dodgers

:shake: thanks for the update gurv :36_11_6:

if the dodgers make the playoffs, manny's impact could carry them far. but im not sure they will. im in the majority i think when things come to manny in boston. me personally, wouldve never traded him. he was the best hitter ive ever seen, and always produced (especially in the playoffs). but, the change was needed to actually move on this year from all the sideshow. the team has been suffering and bay wont produce what manny did, but he can contribute enough to help the team be successful. some people will be bitter than manny's gone, but i bet tomorrow night at fenway bay's gonna get a standing-O before his first plate appearance, and maybe the guy will be able to hit in big situations when the games actually matter.

As I stated earlier, you can't replace a Ramirez. Whether he was a cancer or not on the field he is one of the best hitters of all time. That lineup was feared with Manny and Papi in it. Don't see Boston doing anything the rest of the year. Baseball is a team sport but one player does make a difference with the caliber and experience Manny had. Bay is no slouch but he is also not Manny. Boston got screwed, LAD won big time and Pitt did ok with the young arms. At the end of the day the Yanks won. Marte, Nady and Rodriguez. TB did nothing but they may not of needed to.

but i bet tomorrow night at fenway bay's gonna get a standing-O before his first plate appearance, and maybe the guy will be able to hit in big situations when the games actually matter.

This is what worries me the most when it comes to Bay, the guy has NEVER had anything like this happen to him. Its just gonna be wild, im looking forward to seeing it,.

i know. im sure if this deal was made earlier, with the sox throwing both moss and hansen in this deal, they definately couldve gotten marte back with bay. sucks the yanks get solid people for nothing and boston always has to concede solid prospects. i dont know how that works.

throwback is so excited its pissing me off because I really have nothing to look forward too..this season..or the next..the one after that

Back