Look Out!: Henne May Play on Saturday

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Henne may return against Penn State; Carr says he could come back without practice

Knee sprain might not stop Pa. native

September 18, 2007
BY MARK SNYDER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
The Michigan quarterback carousel may be spinning again.
After missing last week's game, senior Chad Henne could possibly play Saturday against No. 10 Penn State.

<TABLE id=articlead><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">Advertisement
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The quarterback's right knee injury, which coach Lloyd Carr called a sprain at his weekly news conference Monday, was originally suffered against Oregon on Sept. 8. It kept Henne out of the second half of that game and Saturday's win over Notre Dame. Freshman Ryan Mallett played in his place.
Monday, Carr refused to rule Henne out against the Nittany Lions, calling him "day-to-day."
"Chad Henne has got enough experience he could play without practicing," Carr said. "Those are all decisions we make as we go forward. ... The trainers, doctors, will do a great job making sure no player returns when it's not proper to return. But a player in a situation like a sprain, we have guys play every week with an ankle that's sprained. It's really how effective you can be and how much discomfort you can endure, that's just the nature of the game."
Henne spent the Notre Dame game in the coaches box. ABC's cameras showed him a few times on television, once with a large brace on his right knee.
The opportunity to play against Penn State, the school he grew up watching from his home in Pennsylvania and to which he considered committing before settling on Michigan, will probably be a major lure for Henne.
"He's a great competitor and a great competitor hates to miss (games), period," Carr said. "That is certainly a game that means a lot to him. Yet you have to know you can play effectively and we'll find that out this week."
Though the possibility of a return exists, Henne is not listed on the U-M depth chart, which shows only Mallett and David Cone.
Carr could just be trying to make Penn State's preparations more difficult. U-M has a larger playbook for Henne than for Mallett, who is still finding his way.
"A couple times, things happened," U-M senior tailback Mike Hart said of Mallett's inexperience against Notre Dame. "One time he called a play at the line and I said, 'Call the other play.' He was about to run me into the corner and didn't see the blitz. ... Those are the little things, the things with me and Chad. Chad knows I'm going to be on the course."
Hart said Mallett will continue to improve with time.
"There's definitely chemistry, taking handoffs, Chad knowing where I'm going to be," Hart said. "Those are the things (Mallett) will learn as time goes."

I posted this a bit ago and it kind of explains the line staying put/and or moving down slightly at times. Still like PSU here. Henne was projected at 2-4 weeks. He is already imobile enough as it is. I can't see him being 100%.

Carr: Henne could practice today

by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News Tuesday September 18, 2007, 12:48 PM

Freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett is still listed as the University of Michigan's starter for the Penn State game, but senior Chad Henne could rejoin practice - at least in limited fashion - this afternoon, according to coach Lloyd Carr.

"We're going to go out here (to practice) in a couple of hours," Carr said on the Big Ten's conference call today. "I wouldn't be surprised if (Henne) took some snaps. We'll have to see what goes on beyond that."
Henne started 39 consecutive games for the Wolverines (1-2) before missing last week's win over Notre Dame with a sprained knee. Mallett completed 7 of 15 passes and threw three touchdowns against the Fighting Irish.

Carr leaves door open for Henne

by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News Tuesday September 18, 2007, 5:23 AM

medium_070917_henne_run.jpg
Alan Warren/The Ann Arbor News"Chad Henne has got enough experience that he could play without practice," Carr said on Monday.

It's a mystery no more.
The hush-hush knee injury suffered by University of Michigan senior quarterback Chad Henne two weeks ago was a sprain, coach Lloyd Carr said at his Monday news conference.
What's still foggy, however, is Henne's status for Saturday's Big Ten opener against Penn State, the nation's No. 10-ranked team.
Henne isn't listed on the depth chart. Freshman Ryan Mallett is the starter, and redshirt freshman David Cone is the backup.
But Carr said, as he did after Saturday's victory over Notre Dame, that he considers Henne to be day-to-day, and he didn't rule out the Pennsylvania native's return to action this week.
"Chad Henne has got enough experience that he could play without practice," Carr added. "But those are decisions we make as we go forward ... All I can tell you is I'll see how he does this week and, ultimately, I will decide."
If Henne does get the nod, the timing might be perfect.
Michigan's co-leader in all-time touchdown passes, Henne has helped beat Penn State twice in his career. He has mastered the playbook in a way the freshman Mallett cannot hope to duplicate, and he also understands the nuances of the offense, including the best way to complete a handoff.
"Handoffs are big," tailback Mike Hart said. "Depending on the defense, I might take (the handoff) wider, I might take it tighter and it's up to the quarterback to adjust and get me the ball. Mallett hasn't really seen that going full speed."
What Mallett hasn't seen, either, in his single game as a starter is a defense nearly as accomplished as the Nittany Lions. Penn State (3-0) leads the nation in rushing defense, allowing 17.7 yards per game, and features one of the country's best linebacking corps.
Although the Nittany Lions' early season schedule hasn't included a formidable challenger, Michigan's players don't discount what they've seen on film.
"Their linebackers are great, they're fast, they get off blocks real well and their D-linemen are physical," Michigan tight end Mike Massey said. "We're gonna have to play physical and handle our responsibilities."
What Hart anticipates is a Penn State defense geared up to stop the running game, of which he's the featured player. The nation's third-leading rusher at 167.3 yards per game, Hart isn't expecting an easy go against the Nittany Lions.
"We're not gonna be able to run the ball every play," he said. "Hopefully, we can. We might be able to. But watching them on film, you're not going to do that to them."
If Penn State limits the run, that means the Michigan quarterback - whomever it may be - could be forced into heavy passing mode. Mallett has yet to be put in that position.
In Michigan's 38-0 victory over Notre Dame, the Wolverines (1-2) had 289 yards rushing and just 90 passing. Mallett completed seven passes, including three for touchdowns, in 15 attempts.
Henne has thrown more passes than that 38 times in 39 career starts, and if he can play against Penn State he may be asked to air it out again.
"When he comes back, he's gonna be ready. I'm gonna be happy when he does," Hart said. "... A lot of people don't know how good Chad really is and the things he does for this team."

Little trickeration by UM coaching staff since Henne wasn't on 2-deep depthchart Monday before practice.

I still think Penn State wins from 10-14 with or without Henne at QB.

Nothing consistent.

at least you are honest. this is what I have had to try an argue for the past 40 minutes..

when henne was a fresman he threw 24 passes in his first game and 40 in the next one. Mallett is a way better prospect than henne was as a freshman. And Mallett enrolled at Michigan last spring so he has been in this offense for quite awhile. I'm sure he can run almost all the plays. I would think that Carr would like to keep him on a little bit of a leash, but if they get behind I'm sure he knows the playbook.

You put 8 or 9 in the box and Mallett WILL beat you. He may be a freshman but he is a freshman that can throw the ball 87 yards. He was no ordinary recruit coming out. Do you really think he is not talented enough to complete passes with 8 or 9 in the box behind this o line?

how is it because Mallett is a freshman he can't play good. I believe when Henne was a freshman Michigan won the big 10. Didn't guys like colt mccoy have decent years as a freshman. What about the kid that is at Oaklahoma right now. He's a freshman and seems to be doing fine. Tim Tebow seemed to be O.K. last year and is very good now with very little experance.

seriously how does everybody overlook the fact that Michigan beats PSU every year. 8 straight years to be exact. You don't think that PSU was supposed to win one of the last 8 games they played, but they haven't. 2 years ago when PSU was #8 and Michigan was unranked they got beat. Michigan just owns PSU.

mallett was the #2 quarterback in the country coming out of high school. so theres certainly good reason to think he is capable of managing the game for michigan. the kid was a blue chipper, not an afterthought in recruiting. obviously the psu defense is tough. and the kid is 18 years old. but if he can simply go 11/21 or even 11/23 with no interceptions, michigan will win this game.

He is 19, not that it matters. But I agree with you 100% long as he holds on to the ball and doesn't try to be superman throwing into coverage Michigan should be fine.

ETG,

This PENN ST defense is exceptional. Henne never faced that early in his freshman year.

Mallett has played two subpar defenses and completed 14-33 passes I believe. Kid is gonna be great but its tough to play a JV team in first start and then play a great defense right after with a limited playbook. Hart will grind out yards but at same time he will be at 3.5-4.0 tops per carry instead of 5.0-6.0 which is per usual.

The under in Penn State-Michigan should be gold again. I know we hit that pretty hard last year.

Opened 43

ETG,

This PENN ST defense is exceptional. Henne never faced that early in his freshman year.

Mallett has played two subpar defenses and completed 14-33 passes I believe. Kid is gonna be great but its tough to play a JV team in first start and then play a great defense right after with a limited playbook. Hart will grind out yards but at same time he will be at 3.5-4.0 tops per carry instead of 5.0-6.0 which is per usual.

exactly what i've said 10x and they keep spinning it to "why cant the #2 qb in the nation play well"

OMG,

they just tried to bring up Sam Bradford as an example of why frosh QB's can have success...

maybe they forgot the part where it says REDSHIRT next to his name

OMG,

they just tried to bring up Sam Bradford as an example of why frosh QB's can have success...

maybe they forgot the part where it says REDSHIRT next to his name

They have played USU, North Texas and Miami(FL). The Miami FL game is possible because they are like 5 deep at every position..LMAO

If he's close to healthy, I'm not sure how u can say it doesn't matter...he's played w/alot of these guys for 3-4 years....he has experience in big games...etc, etc...

I'm not saying one team is gonna cover or the other....I think it's a terrible game to bet personally..

That said, no way you can't say it doesn't matter IMO.

I think it matters Jump but at the same point there is no way he is 100%...so a 70 percent Henne lets say vs a 100% Mallet..almost cancels each other out...

I am anxious to hear about parctices because if he looks good I will hedge slightly on my play...not all..but some

I think this is a bellichek type of move b/c they are saying he may/maynot play. It seems like one of the those head games that UM is playing so PSU will have to prepare for both QB's. Nonetheless i still think PSU wins by 10-14

jump - i'm saying, it will matter a little but there is no way that he's 100% if he does play and they'd be crazy to put him in that kind of position. secondly, how good has he really played in "big games"? bowl games....choke. ohio state...choke. has played horribly against wisky but won last year (3 int's). yes, he's beaten psu the last couple of years but how good has psu been the last couple of years? additionally, he's ahd a damn good defense to rely on in previous years (security blanket)...not 2007 bro! un-healthy henne vs mallett?????

I think it matters Jump but at the same point there is no way he is 100%...so a 70 percent Henne lets say vs a 100% Mallet..almost cancels each other out...

I am anxious to hear about parctices because if he looks good I will hedge slightly on my play...not all..but some

I said close to healthy...if he's on one leg, it's a hindrance...

If he's close, it matters not a little but a bunch I'd have to think.

I think this is a bellichek type of move b/c they are saying he may/maynot play. It seems like one of the those head games that UM is playing so PSU will have to prepare for both QB's. Nonetheless i still think PSU wins by 10-14

Did u seriously just compare LLLLLoyd Carr to Bill Bellichek?

jump - i'm saying, it will matter a little but there is no way that he's 100% if he does play and they'd be crazy to put him in that kind of position. secondly, how good has he really played in "big games"? bowl games....choke. ohio state...choke. has played horribly against wisky but won last year (3 int's). yes, he's beaten psu the last couple of years but how good has psu been the last couple of years? additionally, he's ahd a damn good defense to rely on in previous years (security blanket)...not 2007 bro! un-healthy henne vs mallett?????

henne and mich put up 38 in the Shoe last year...not sure I'd call that choking...

You're assuming the dude ain't going to be able to walk...if, a big if, he can plant, it's a huge improvement in a game vs a kid who has 5 quarters of football....

Henne beat PSU in Happy Valley last year...you call that a big win?

Cause this is the same PSU team minus Hunt and Puz...

Freshman year he waxs great in Rose Bowl vs Texas
Sophomore Year he was great against Nebraska in Alamo Bowl
Freshman year he was solid against tOSU...that game was our defense
Sophmore Year he had UM in position to win against OSU but they faltered late in a game no one expected them to win anyways
Junior Year he had a helluva game against OSU(38 points)

Freshman year he waxs great in Rose Bowl vs Texas
Sophomore Year he was great against Nebraska in Alamo Bowl
Freshman year he was solid against tOSU...that game was our defense
Sophmore Year he had UM in position to win against OSU but they faltered late in a game no one expected them to win anyways
Junior Year he had a helluva game against OSU(38 points)

this is all great, please note Win or Loss beside those games please?

:36_11_6:

Well, I think you better start listing Morelli's big wins then...

I got two for ya on the road last year..

@ Minny (in OT by 1) and at Purdue (12-0)..

henne and mich put up 38 in the Shoe last year...not sure I'd call that choking...

You're assuming the dude ain't going to be able to walk...if, a big if, he can plant, it's a huge improvement in a game vs a kid who has 5 quarters of football....

Henne beat PSU in Happy Valley last year...you call that a big win?

Cause this is the same PSU team minus Hunt and Puz...

- didn't WIN
- not sure the point there
- anyone that was DECENT beat psu last year (look at schedule and results)..lost to nd, osu, mi, wisky
- mi, no defense...are they the same defensive unit as years past...NOPE

Well, I think you better start listing Morelli's big wins then...

I got two for ya on the road last year..

@ Minny (in OT by 1) and at Purdue (12-0)..

Listen. I am basing this game on a great defense which remember pretty much controlled OSU last year and a solid running game. Morelli manages the game. Michigan doesn't have the playmakers on defense for him to totally screw this up.

More later...gotta go now..good debate fellas :shake:

tn (sec - best conference in football) on the road. also, you will never, ever hear me defend morelli as i think he's dumber than a doorstop! he, like henne in the past, can depend on a great defense. i've said it all year and all of last year, if psu had a top-notch qb they'd win the national championship but they won't this year either because of their qb.

- didn't WIN
- not sure the point there
- anyone that was DECENT beat psu last year (look at schedule and results)..lost to nd, osu, mi, wisky
- mi, no defense...are they the same defensive unit as years past...NOPE

Mich, no defesne...that's unfounded...

Listen, this is making me sick that I'm having to defend scUM here..

But we have no idea if these guys are going to be good on D or not...most that played the first two gaames were completely new and getting their feet under them..

They played two QB's who were allusive, got outside the pocket, and teams that ran the spread..that's very difficult for new defenders to handle..you have alot more responsibility...you could see they were confused...when they played a team that didn't run the spread, you saw a difference...obvioulsy ND's offense right now isn't good, but you still saw a diff..

When you play a team thats going to line up and try to beat ya, you go back to instincts...it's also huge for the young guys that this game is still in a friendly environment...

UM's D is g oing to be much better in conference because of the types of teams they will be playing....

Listen. I am basing this game on a great defense which remember pretty much controlled OSU last year and a solid running game. Morelli manages the game. Michigan doesn't have the playmakers on defense for him to totally screw this up.

More later...gotta go now..good debate fellas :shake:

Their defense is good yes...but this is also by FAR the best offense they've seen so far this year..esp if Henne goes...

We definetley don't know if the defense is great yet..

They did a good job against tOSU last year...that was in shitty conditions and it effected the game a bit..but they played well...that was also w/ PUz....many think Connor is as good as him, I do too..but it's still a loss...

From mgoblog:

MLive:
"We're going to go out here (to practice) in a couple of hours," Carr said on the Big Ten's conference call today. "I wouldn't be surprised if (Henne) took some snaps. We'll have to see what goes on beyond that."​
Uh... gamesmanship maybe. Personally I doubt he plays. FWIW

notre dame is in the bottom 5 of every scoring offensive category just about...

this is a carr spin job, he is fucking with PSU's heads.

he NEVER talks about injuries in detail..EVER.

Their defense is good yes...but this is also by FAR the best offense they've seen so far this year..esp if Henne goes...

We definetley don't know if the defense is great yet..

They did a good job against tOSU last year...that was in shitty conditions and it effected the game a bit..but they played well...that was also w/ PUz....many think Connor is as good as him, I do too..but it's still a loss...

I have to disagree with you here, Jump. Oregon's offense is way more explosive and creates difficult matchups for the defense due to the spread O. Michigan failed to handle the Ducks ground & passing game. How much did Oregon rush for against Michigan? Something like 330 yards, I believe? IN THE BIG HOUSE. And IMO, Dixon is looking like a better QB than Henne in this stage of his college career. His mobility makes his very dangerous.

Including Michigan's shutout against Notre Dame, the Wolverines are still giving up an average of 162 yards/game on the ground. Penn St has rushed for roughly 200 yards/game this season. Granted, the competition for Penn St hasn't been much...but it still bodes well for the Nittany Lions.

Also, Morelli has thrown for 8 TDs and only 1 INT so far this year. As long as he holds onto the ball for Penn St, I'm having a tough time seeing Joe Pa and his squad lose.

:cheers:

Mich, no defesne...that's unfounded...

Listen, this is making me sick that I'm having to defend scUM here..

But we have no idea if these guys are going to be good on D or not...most that played the first two gaames were completely new and getting their feet under them..

They played two QB's who were allusive, got outside the pocket, and teams that ran the spread..that's very difficult for new defenders to handle..you have alot more responsibility...you could see they were confused...when they played a team that didn't run the spread, you saw a difference...obvioulsy ND's offense right now isn't good, but you still saw a diff..

When you play a team thats going to line up and try to beat ya, you go back to instincts...it's also huge for the young guys that this game is still in a friendly environment...

UM's D is g oing to be much better in conference because of the types of teams they will be playing....

very true...plus Johnny Sears is gone...:36_11_6:

Dmac...that was my point....

Oregon runs the spread and PSU does not...u're not disagreeing w/ me..

I was saying UM is the best offense PSU has seen..

Crazy how nobody is giving Michigan a chance. I guessing there could be a lot of Penn st haters come saturday..............

Im a Buckeyes fan so no homerism involved

Back