Long Beach IndyCar (4/19/15 Sunday 4:00pm)

captjohn67

Pretty much a regular
1-6 (-2.77) awesome start to the season

kanaan -110 hinch (already -115) i'll ramble some thoughts tomorrow, but wanted to get this one in.

Love Long Beach, only race I've ever been too and I don't do the NASCAR. GL on it.

thanks Schrute
KJohnson, i imagine that was a great time, 200 thousand people at an outdoor party. Appreciate the good luck.

no rain expected, so should be a clean show after the disaster that NOLA was. This is the longest running major street race held on the North American continent. It's only contracted thru 2018, but you know that will change.

Dixon - is luck is going to change, right?? well, if history is any indicator, one should be wary. Only one top 10 in 8 efforts makes it one of his worst tracks (very well might be the worst). I think that will change, but i'm passing on the +875, and his avg finish of 16.25 is putrid.

Gabby - certainly racing like a rookie, but wanted to mention he has a win and a 2nd in his only two efforts here in the lights series (field +2250)

DeSilvestro - the only reason i am mentioning her is because they had her listed as a -135 fav over Jakes for over three days....and she's not in this race, lol. I am for hire if they're looking for some help

RHR - has a win and two top 10's in 6 starts. Also has the memory of last weeks race which got 3 championship points taken away and probation for three races. If that's not enough on his mind, he can always flash back to last years race here. Lets' see how he qualifies and go from there.

Power - 9 efforts consist of two wins and six top 3's, hello. Could very likely be on the pole (has in 3 of the 9) but impt to note there have been only 4 pole winners here.....hmmm

Montoya - has a win and two top 5's in 3 starts, but i still don't trust him

Kanaan - racing like a damn demon since the half way point last year, but only has six top 10's in 11 attempts here. If not for the weather last weekend, he was live to win his first road/street course race since 2007 in Detroit....and it would be his first ever here if he manages to do so. They trimmed him down to +2750 from the +3300 at NOLA. Still attractive, but passing.

Rahal - only two top 10's in eight starts, but i'm still high on him this year. Hopefully they'll post him. They've trimmed him from +6000 at NOLA to +4400, so there is that

Bourdais has 3 wins here and a 3rd, the rest being shit. The last four are 14, 15, 17 and 27th. I still think he'll run well, but will wait and piss away the +115 versus Dixon opportunity

more in a little bit...

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...game-as-indycar-heads-to-historic-long-beach/

It is the gold standard by which all other street races are measured. “It” is the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, which has its latest running this weekend with the 41st running of the race this Sunday (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN), and the 32nd for a North American open-wheel racing series.

More than most events, all drivers have a story to tell about Long Beach for their careers. It ranks second to the Indianapolis 500 in terms of prestige and glamour on the Verizon IndyCar Series calendar, and tops among street and road courses.

“That’s a track I love, that’s a track I’ve always run really well at,” said James Hinchcliffe, who looks for his second consecutive win this weekend.

“I got my first podium in IndyCar there, my first (Indy) Lights pole there, and my first Lights win there, so it really is a track that’s treated me well and I really enjoy.”
Hinchcliffe, driver of the No. 5 Arrow/Lucas Oil Schmidt Peterson Honda, isn’t the only past Long Beach winner in the field, although he is yet to win in IndyCar proper.

Past IndyCar winners racing this weekend include:

• Will Power (2008 Champ Car, 2012 IndyCar)
  • Juan Pablo Montoya (1999 CART)
  • Helio Castroneves (1997 Indy Lights, 2001 CART)
  • Sebastien Bourdais (2005, 2006, 2007 Champ Car)
  • Takuma Sato (2013 IndyCar)
  • Ryan Hunter-Reay (2010 IndyCar)

They aren’t the only past Long Beach winners in the field, with these drivers also having tasted success in other categories here:

• James Hinchcliffe (2010 Indy Lights)
  • Scott Dixon (2000 Indy Lights)
  • Simon Pagenaud (2010 ALMS)
  • Carlos Munoz (2013 Indy Lights)
  • Gabby Chaves (2014 Indy Lights)

That’s nearly half the field who have won at Long Beach, and yet some of the ones who haven’t are among those to watch this weekend.

Tony Kanaan, for example, is driving out of his mind at the moment – and that’s a good thing. I haven’t seen TK this revitalized, this amped, and this consistently fast and focused in years, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the driver of the No. 10 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet bagged his first road or street course win since Detroit in 2007 this weekend. His comeback to sixth at NOLA was as admirable as his podium in St. Petersburg.

Luca Filippi and Josef Newgarden are respective sleepers with CFH Racing. Filippi will make his track debut, taking over the 2014 race-winning No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet, and has shown speed on street courses. Meanwhile Newgarden, in the No. 67 Hartman Oil CFH Racing Chevrolet, has a second place start here and should have at least podiumed a year ago before getting speared by Hunter-Reay.

Filippi, as a track debutante, noted how important this race is on a global scale and how much he’s looking forward to making his first Long Beach start this weekend.
“It’s a place I’ve never been… but I watch every single race there. It’s a special place,” Filippi told me at NOLA last week. “There’s all the history from IndyCar to Formula 1. Being a part of that event is in itself special, and something I really want to have my name involved somehow.”

Graham Rahal could be one to watch, given his own fast start and the improved overall team performance from Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. He’ll stand out on track in the bright red No. 15 Steak ‘N Shake Honda, and so will his father Bobby, who has one of his busiest weekends of the year this weekend. The senior Rahal will emcee the annual RRDC dinner Thursday night, honoring Bobby Unser, which is always a highlight of the racing year. Then once the race weekend starts, it’s the traditional double barrel effort of RLL IndyCar and TUDOR United SportsCar Championship BMW programs running simultaneously.

That’s 15 of the 23 who are contenders straight off right there.

Of the remaining eight drivers, Charlie Kimball has shown some promise but been unlucky at Long Beach; new teammate Sebastian Saavedra will have his first chance to prove his Ganassi worthiness at the race where he scored his most recent top-10 finish, ninth last year for KV/AFS Racing.

Marco Andretti has flown under the radar thus far to start the year, while Jack Hawksworth will look to improve upon his street course pace from St. Petersburg now with A.J. Foyt Enterprises.

“It’s good we’re going there after NOLA,” Hawksworth told MotorSportsTalk heading into the weekend. “It’s better buzz, better weather, and a good track. It’s one of those tracks everyone looks forward to going to.”

James Jakes has a shot at his second straight podium overall, while rookie Stefano Coletti will look to continue his early season passing prowess. He might find it difficult given his primary rear wing assembly was damaged in a bad crash at NOLA, and he may be running the 2014 rear wing assembly this weekend.

Dale Coyne’s pair of Carlos Huertas and Francesco Dracone will look to achieve better headlines than the ones they did last week, although fortunately, Dracone’s crew chief Todd Phillips is quickly on the mend despite being struck in the pits.

On paper, the race seems a Penske benefit – Montoya is driving ridiculously well, Power traditionally is quick here if not overly dominant, and Pagenaud could well deliver his first win for the team here. Yet Castroneves isn’t to be overlooked and the veteran Brazilian always seems to factor into the equation.

Kanaan more than anyone is Ganassi’s best bet – for whatever reason, Long Beach is Dixon’s kryptonite. Dixon’s last and only top-10 at the track, in eight starts, was fourth in 2010.

And for Andretti Autosport, Hunter-Reay always seems to hit another level in qualifying at Long Beach, but has struggled to deliver in the race. Since his emotional 2010 win, he’s had miserable race results each of the last four years, culminating with last year’s pinball wizard display out of the fountain section.

It’s still likely anyone’s day though, witness the fact Conway – since departed to the FIA World Endurance Championship – has won two of the last four races here and Sato scored a popular upset in 2013.

That’s the beauty of modern day IndyCar and Long Beach paired together: you never know what you’re going to get.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/15/fast-facts-toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach/

The INDYCAR PR staff has assembled the following details for this weekend’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Here are the fast facts heading into this weekend’s race:

TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH FAST FACTS

Track: 1.968-mile, 11-turn temporary street course (clockwise)
Race distance: 80 laps / 157.4 miles
Entry List: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (PDF)
Push-to-pass parameters: 10 activations for 20 seconds each
Firestone tire allotment: Four sets primary, three sets alternate
Twitter: @ToyotaGPLB @IndyCar, #TGPLB, #IndyCar
Event website: www.gplb.com
INDYCAR website: www.IndyCar.com
2014 race winner: Mike Conway (No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet)
2014 Verizon P1 Award winner: Ryan Hunter-Reay (No. 28 DHL Honda),1:07.8219, 104.462 mph
Qualifying lap record: Justin Wilson, 1:06.902, 105.898 mph, April 2008

NBCSN race broadcast:
Sunday, April 19 (4 p.m. ET)

NBCSN qualifying broadcast:
Saturday, April 18 (6:30 p.m. ET)
Brian Till will be the play-by-play announcer for NBCSN’s broadcast of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach alongside analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Marty Snider, Kelly Stavast, Kevin Lee and Robin Miller are the pit reporters.

Radio broadcasts:
Paul Page is the chief announcer alongside analyst Davey Hamilton. Qualifying and all Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on the IMS Radio Network, Sirius 213, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR 15 app. Verizon IndyCar Series practice sessions are on IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR 15 app.

Video Streaming:
All practice sessions for the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series season will be available on the INDYCAR YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/indycar) and RaceControl.IndyCar.com.

INDYCAR 15 App:
Verizon Wireless puts fans in the driver’s seat with its INDYCAR 15 app. The app has been enhanced with new features to keep fans in the know of the latest race-day action. Exclusive features of the INDYCAR 15 app for Verizon Wireless customers will stream live through the app and include Interactive 3D Live View with real-time leaderboard and car telemetry to see where a fan’s favorite driver is positioned, leaderboard with enhanced 2D marching ants and car telemetry for 2015, in-car camera video streams from cameras that move 360 degrees and Driver-Pit Crew Chatter as drivers talk strategy with their pit crews during the race.

At-track schedule (all times local):

Friday, April 17

12:30-1:15 p.m. (Verizon IndyCar Series practice)
3:45-4:30 p.m. (Verizon IndyCar Series practice)

Saturday, April 18

10-10:45 a.m. (Verizon IndyCar Series practice)
2 p.m. (Three rounds of Verizon IndyCar Series qualifications)

Sunday, April 19

10-10:30 a.m. (Verizon IndyCar Series warm-up)
1 p.m. NBCSN on air
1:37 p.m. Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach green flag

Race Notes:

* James Hinchcliffe and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports played strategy to perfection and won the inaugural Indy Grand Prix of Louisiana at NOLA Motorsports Park on April 12. Now the “mayor of Hinchtown” hopes to make Long Beach his latest conquest.

* This weekend’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach will mark the 32nd Indy car event on the historic street circuit. Mario Andretti won the first Indy car race there in 1984. Mike Conway was the 2014 race winner.

* Al Unser Jr. has won the most times at Long Beach (six), while Sebastien Bourdais and Will Power are the only entered drivers with multiple wins. Bourdais won three straight races from 2005-2007. Power won in 2008 and 2012. Other former race winners scheduled to compete are: Juan Pablo Montoya (1999), Helio Castroneves (2001), Ryan Hunter-Reay (2010) and Takuma Sato (2013).

* Team Penske drivers have won four of the last six poles at Long Beach: Power from 2009-2011 and Ryan Briscoe in 2012. In addition to Power, other past pole winners entered in this year’s race are: Hunter-Reay (2014), Justin Wilson (2008), Bourdais (2006-2007), Castroneves (2001) and Tony Kanaan (1999).

* Four drivers have won the race from the pole – Andretti (1984, 1985 and 1987), Unser Jr. (1989-90), Castroneves (2001) and Bourdais (2006-07).

* Nineteen drivers entered in the event have competed in Indy car races at Long Beach. Twelve of those drivers have led laps: Bourdais 168, Power 162, Hunter-Reay 122, Castroneves 101, Sato 66, Marco Andretti 64, Kanaan 51, Montoya 40, Simon Pagenaud 26, Scott Dixon 25, Sebastian Saavedra 3, Josef Newgarden 1.

* Gabby Chaves, Stefano Coletti, Francesco Dracone and Luca Filippi will compete in their first Verizon IndyCar Series race on the streets of Long Beach. Chaves competed on the circuit in Indy Lights.

* Kanaan seeks to start his 236th consecutive race, which would extend his Indy car-record streak that began in 2001 at Portland. Teammate Dixon has made 177 consecutive starts.

* Dixon, the longest-tenured driver for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, is tied with Bobby Unser for fifth on the all-time Indy car victory list with 35.

* The Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg marked the competition debut of aerodynamic bodywork kits designed, manufactured and supplied by Chevrolet and Honda. Cars are differentiated by their shape on the street course as the manufacturers have designed separate aero kit specifications for road and street course/short ovals and speedways for the Dallara IR-12 chassis. References to the cars will incorporate the name of the corresponding manufacturer.

* The No. 5 Arrow/Lucas Oil Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda Dallara crew of James Hinchcliffe won the Firestone Pit Stop Performance Award during the Indy Grand Prix of Louisiana with a total pit lane time of 35.066 seconds. The Arrow/Lucas Oil Schmidt Peterson Motorsports crew will receive its $10,000 award during pre-race festivities at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Fondy :shake:

filippi +110 hawksworth

power will wreck someone going to the front -325

pitiful list they posted....shame on them

cheers back at you Hugh...make it a good one

i'll check back around lunch to see if they post something else. Really wanted to see a rahal. Oh well.

Back