Leyland is retiring

The Tigers have scheduled a press conference for 11:30am ET today, and Tom Mazawey of Detroit Sports 105.1 reports that it's likely to announce that Jim Leyland will step down as the Tigers' manager (Twitter links). Mazawey adds that Leyland informed the team of his decision on their flight home from Boston. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the 68-year-old Leyland feels that it's time for someone younger to manage the team (Twitter link).

Leyland has managed the Tigers since the 2006 season, winning exactly 700 games against just 597 losses. In his time with Detroit, he's led the team to four playoff berths and twice reached the World Series. He came within a game of a fifth playoff appearance in 2009, but the Tigers fell victim to a late surge from the Twins and saw their season end in a Game 163 walk-off in Minnesota.

Despite the fact that he didn't win a World Series with the Tigers, Leyland does have a World Series ring after leading the 1997 Marlins to the Fall Classic and emerging victorious. A three-time Manager of the Year recipient (1990 and 1992 with the Pirates as well as 2006 with the Tigers), Leyland has a career record of 1769-1728. The Tigers' current stretch of three straight division titles marks the second three-year stretch of first place finishes in Leyland's managerial career. He accomplished the same feat with the Pirates from 1990-92.

Hope they hire Dusty Baker or some other buffoon to ruin the team. Tigers fans are getting up there with Michigan fans for me. Getting to the point that I don't care to root for either of them.

Hope they hire Dusty Baker or some other buffoon to ruin the team. Tigers fans are getting up there with Michigan fans for me. Getting to the point that I don't care to root for either of them.

67711-what-did-you-say-bubbles-gif-avZD.gif

I thought it was kinda funny how he wanted to make sure everyone knew (first thing in presser) that he wasn't being fired or pushed out.

job must have been cutting into his smoke time...at least he finished with a bang by making some of his patented horrible decisions these playoffs

Great person manager, terrible game manager. Bittersweet but glad he's gone. Get an analytics guy from outside of the organization

Leyland has had a fuckton of talent on his teams, save for year one. Players win games, managers are just there to put then in the best position to win those games -- and jimmy didn't do that very often

don't be hard on Leyland. he's a good dude, a good baseball mind, and a good manager. outside looking in, he always had my respect.

some very silly decisions this year, taking scherzer out the other night was just silly imo... farewell jimmy

What I want, not what I think will happen. There's actually a decent amount of behind the scenes guy but the old school manager runs supreme still among all pro sports

tigers fans dont worry

Jim Bowden has the solution
if I'm Dombrowski, the first two calls I make are to Dusty Baker and Charlie Manuel, to see if they want a two-year deal. Baker is just four years younger than Leyland, and Manuel is actually a year older, but both have made it clear they want to manage again.

guy seems like a good dude, all american joe kool, no pun....but there are a lot of good dudes who dont manage baseball teams. i dont for one second believe this was his choice either, he is staying with the team and such. its simply a PR spin.

that said, just dont hire dusty baker and i am cool. would say ausmus, kind of like cards did with matheny to replace tony.

Back