Lane Kiffin new coach at Rocky Top

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

ESPN reporting that they have signed him to a deal. Has big shoes to fill and will have a lot of pressure on him. Dont really know if this is a good fit. Hell of a lot of pressure for your first college job. Thought Washington would be the perfect fit for him.

Hile, UT fans, thoughts?

I like it. With what he had to work with at oakland, I thought he did well.

That being said, I like the hire more if he bring monty in to coach the D like I heard he might. Recruited a lot of great talent when he was at USC and when he left, that O lost its identity.

I think as long as tennessee supports him 100 percent, he'll do just fine. And I'm glad to see them bring him in before the season ends so there is no wasted time on the recruiting trail.

Overall, I like the hire as much as I can at this time, but since I still love fulmer, its gonna sting for a little bit yet.

Amazing hire in my opinion. An absolute slam dunk. I'm almost as giddy as one of those sixteen year old bitches on MTV who has Justin Timberlake come to their party.

Last edited:
Not often you can go from an NFL gig to a College gig and consider it a huge upgrade (not to mention get a raise) but I think in this case, thats what happened

Snake in the grass weasel ..... so I won't be surprised when he is gone to greener pastures or fired for being an arsehole within a few years.

Be afraid vols , be very afraid.

He'll only have to compete in the SEC against Meyer, Saban, Richt, Spurrier, etc. in his first college head coaching job..........:seeya:
BIG STEP UP from sharing play calling duties and "recruiting" for USC...how the hell hard can recruiting for USC be anyway? :36_11_6:
Of course, the ignorance displayed by the posters who PARROT ESPN's company line BS on Kiffin during his Raiders tenure is not surprising. Immature MFer had as much to do with his LACK of success and firing as anyone...:tiphat:
Seems a REAL HC (Jon Gruden) inherited a less talented team, put up with the same BS, and immediately became a winner...have to at least ask yourself why Kiffin was such a DISMAL FAILURE.

Rocky Top has officially become a mid-tier SEC school...in this UF Grad's opinion.

Mully :cheers:

care to elaborate?

When he took the Raiders job he spoke with Jon Gruden and knew what to expect, so believing he'd be given some type of power after a 4-12 season was a PIPE DREAM...Mr. Davis has been running his team the same way for 40+ years....:shake:

Late last year, while he was HC of the Raiders, he openly campaigned for the Arkansas position (there were reports within Raiders HQ that Kiffin was visibly upset when he learned Petrino was deserting Atlanta) not exactly the type of commitment you expect from a 1st time/1st year NFL HC.....:seeya:
When Mr. Davis refused to give Kiffin power (after a 4-12 season) to hire his own staff (he wanted to fire the DC and hire his daddy) or have final say over personnel he started using the media to provoke his firing...:hang:
Lane Kiffin put his own agenda over the good of "his" team from November '07 through his firing this year...FACT.
And, DO NOT give me that ESPN BS that he didn't know what to expect (AGAIN, he spoke with Gruden BEFORE taking the Raiders job).
Jon Gruden had immediate success, turning a less talented Raiders squad into an 8-8 team in his first season as Raiders HC...then was given control to bring in his own assistants (new DC) and players (Rich Gannon)...if Kiffin had had any semblance of success he would've received the same consideration.
Kiffin was a co-playcaller and "recruiting" coordinator @ USC, a TERRIBLE HC @ Oakland, and now deserves to be HC of one of the best CFB programs in the country? :36_11_6:

Thing I don't like about this move, his brother-in-law is David Reaves, who coaches at South Carolina and is a great recruiter. He will likely be going to Tenn now

Thing I don't like about this move, his brother-in-law is David Reaves, who coaches at South Carolina and is a great recruiter. He will likely be going to Tenn now

Thats what Kiffin probably does best is recruit.

but dont know about his eye for talent

getting D Hall :hang:

When he took the Raiders job he spoke with Jon Gruden and knew what to expect, so believing he'd be given some type of power after a 4-12 season was a PIPE DREAM...Mr. Davis has been running his team the same way for 40+ years....:shake:

Late last year, while he was HC of the Raiders, he openly campaigned for the Arkansas position (there were reports within Raiders HQ that Kiffin was visibly upset when he learned Petrino was deserting Atlanta) not exactly the type of commitment you expect from a 1st time/1st year NFL HC.....:seeya:
When Mr. Davis refused to give Kiffin power (after a 4-12 season) to hire his own staff (he wanted to fire the DC and hire his daddy) or have final say over personnel he started using the media to provoke his firing...:hang:
Lane Kiffin put his own agenda over the good of "his" team from November '07 through his firing this year...FACT.
And, DO NOT give me that ESPN BS that he didn't know what to expect (AGAIN, he spoke with Gruden BEFORE taking the Raiders job).
Jon Gruden had immediate success, turning a less talented Raiders squad into an 8-8 team in his first season as Raiders HC...then was given control to bring in his own assistants (new DC) and players (Rich Gannon)...if Kiffin had had any semblance of success he would've received the same consideration.
Kiffin was a co-playcaller and "recruiting" coordinator @ USC, a TERRIBLE HC @ Oakland, and now deserves to be HC of one of the best CFB programs in the country? :36_11_6:

:cheers:

That's what you want to think and hope happens. First off, Kiffin beat out OSU for kids out of Ohio, the Florida schools for players out of Florida. Not easy at all. UT's recruiting has been spotty. Over the last few years it would be a strong year here followed by a bad year. Of course bad coaching and in my opinion an inferior S&C program meant the talent never got better.

The real weakness with UT has been talent on the lines and the approach to the game. The skill talent is there but the line play hasn't. Put Ed Orgeron on the D-Line and recruiting and this problem goes away overnight. Kiffin will change the timid mindset.

Say what you will about the Raiders and Kiffin, but Kiffin's Oakland teams were competitive for the most part. Don't even compare the Gruden situation in Oaktown to what Kiffin had. Not even close to the same teams.

The SEC went too far in beating Fulmer this year and now they're going to have a real problem to deal with at UT in the near future. You know it but just don't want to admit it.

^^^ wrong .. and kiffin blew every close game he was involved in with poor 4th quarter coaching to boot.

Also don't forget that after he became raider coach he refused to wear the raider emblem while at the pro bowl.

The guy is a first rate jackass.

Tennessee will be an also ran for as long as kiffin is there ....... you know it and just don't want to admit it.

Throw in the real problems faced by tennessee ..... the state does not produce talent at the high school level ... and now raiding texas while competing with all the texas schools , lsu raiding that state and okie state with boone pickens money raiding the state , ou raiding the state .. there isn't much there for the vols. Florida is owned by urban meyer and what is left over goes to shannon at miami and the fsu crew. Tennessee never been good at getting cali talent and Tressel has a stranglehold on the other big football state.

That is why fulmer and the vols have failed and kiffin wont change any of that... but he will add a bad me first attitude and bad gameday coaching.

gl vols but you guys are gonna be hurting.

Kiffin will need to change up some of his tactics. Minimizing the talent on the roster and talking of erasing a losing culture isn’t going to play in Knoxville. When former Tennessee star Gibril Wilson was asked about the possibility of Kiffin taking over ther day, he gave a thumbs down.

:popcorn:

^^^ wrong .. and kiffin blew every close game he was involved in with poor 4th quarter coaching to boot.

Nor were the Raiders successful recently before Kiffin got there nor have they been good with Cable as coach. The organization's way of building a team is beyond what a head coach can fix on his own. I think we've also seen that good college coaches don't do well in the NFL. College game is simpler and easier than the NFL. Get better talent, develop it and you win.

The guy is a first rate jackass.

The truth is most coaches are jackasses to varying degrees of jackass-ness. I hope he does have a good jackass side to him. A jackass disciplanarian is exactly what the program needs.A lot of the players at UT have become too familiar with the family atmosphere-have-a-zebra cake-or-Pacific Cooler-Capri-Sun-after-we-get-monkeystomped-on-our-own-field-by-a-rival-that-didn't-even-have-to-play-well-to-do-it.

Tennessee will be an also ran for as long as kiffin is there ....... you know it and just don't want to admit it.

With Phil, we've been attaining a high level of medicority at best for the last eight years. There was only reason to think things would get worse if he stayed. That's why I'm not afraid to take a chance. Kiffin has a lot of promise. He can put together a dynamite coaching staff which is a great first step in reconstructing the program.

Throw in the real problems faced by tennessee ..... the state does not produce talent at the high school level ... and now raiding texas while competing with all the texas schools , lsu raiding that state and okie state with boone pickens money raiding the state , ou raiding the state .. there isn't much there for the vols. Florida is owned by urban meyer and what is left over goes to shannon at miami and the fsu crew. Tennessee never been good at getting cali talent and Tressel has a stranglehold on the other big football state.

I agree with a lot of what you say although the Vols have done about as good as you could reasonably expect in pulling talent out of California. And rebuilding the nationwide appeal isn't as difficult as you think. Kiffin is a great recruiter and he's young. He was dynamite as a nationwide recruiter for the Trojans. I have no doubt he'll be more consistent in the recruiting game than Phil has been as of late.

When Ed Orgeron is on the staff, the talent will come.If Kiffin wins, then he'll win some of those battles against Richt/Meyer/Saban/Miles etc. He'll win some anyway because that's the nature of recruiting mercurial 18 year olds. Their decisions are frequently made by factors that you or I wouldn't consider important.There's plenty of talent to be had by all.

He may not be a great coach, but he's obviously a smart career guy. That Oakland job was a nightmare, but without it, he probably doesn't get job offers like this.

The one thing coaches never have is security, so despite having to take a s**tty job to get it, that's what Kiffin has leveraged for himself here--especially if he gets dad to come over for his final years on the sidelines. Not to mention the fact that if he does even remotely well he'll be in the running for any available college coaching gig for the next 10 years--and he's an NFL option because he actually has experience and nobody's going to hold what happened in Oakland against him too much because of Al Davis and because of the success both Shanahan and Gruden have had after they left town.

Nor were the Raiders successful recently before Kiffin got there nor have they been good with Cable as coach. The organization's way of building a team is beyond what a head coach can fix on his own. I think we've also seen that good college coaches don't do well in the NFL. College game is simpler and easier than the NFL. Get better talent, develop it and you win.

The truth is most coaches are jackasses to varying degrees of jackass-ness. I hope he does have a good jackass side to him. A jackass disciplanarian is exactly what the program needs.A lot of the players at UT have become too familiar with the family atmosphere-have-a-zebra cake-or-Pacific Cooler-Capri-Sun-after-we-get-monkeystomped-on-our-own-field-by-a-rival-that-didn't-even-have-to-play-well-to-do-it.

With Phil, we've been attaining a high level of medicority at best for the last eight years. There was only reason to think things would get worse if he stayed. That's why I'm not afraid to take a chance. Kiffin has a lot of promise. He can put together a dynamite coaching staff which is a great first step in reconstructing the program.

I agree with a lot of what you say although the Vols have done about as good as you could reasonably expect in pulling talent out of California. And rebuilding the nationwide appeal isn't as difficult as you think. Kiffin is a great recruiter and he's young. He was dynamite as a nationwide recruiter for the Trojans. I have no doubt he'll be more consistent in the recruiting game than Phil has been as of late.

When Ed Orgeron is on the staff, the talent will come.If Kiffin wins, then he'll win some of those battles against Richt/Meyer/Saban/Miles etc. He'll win some anyway because that's the nature of recruiting mercurial 18 year olds. Their decisions are frequently made by factors that you or I wouldn't consider important.There's plenty of talent to be had by all.

They are getting orgeron ??? Well , that guy can flat out recruit. no doubt about that. And they have a program to recruit to. Tennessee wasn't mediocre until this year ... they were in the sec title game last year in what was considered by far the toughest conference in football. One underachieving year and they throw out a legend ( and class act ) for a punk who has proven nothing as a head coach ?? I will grant you that failures at the nfl level doesn't translate to failures at the college level.

Why not take a chance on a proven winner instead ?? Also , I could be a great recruiter at USC ... the program sells itself and let me buy reggie bush family a house and BOOM ! we are loaded.

Good get if Orgeron is on the staff ... we just saw what his recruits can do with ole miss this year.

I personally know Phillip, but I dont want to get into all that mess....

That being said, I think AD Hamilton is a smuck and he got desperate for a homerun candidate and this is as close to as he could come. I really think other candidates saw how he treated Fulmer and the situation and that scared them off.

As for Kiffin, I think UT made a poor decision and IMO the only way UT succeeds is if they get some top level coordinators.

I do not see them being among the best couple teams in the SEC while Kiffin is at the helm. He will be gone within five years, either b/c of firing or b/c a better job has come along.

This hire just seems to echo and similate Nebraska and Bill Callahan way too much....

The problem with UT wont be resolved until AD Mike Hamilton is fired....other than bringing in Bruce Pearl, he has only brought disarray to the school.....

I personally know Phillip, but I dont want to get into all that mess....

That being said, I think AD Hamilton is a smuck and he got desperate for a homerun candidate and this is as close to as he could come. I really think other candidates saw how he treated Fulmer and the situation and that scared them off.

As for Kiffin, I think UT made a poor decision and IMO the only way UT succeeds is if they get some top level coordinators.

I do not see them being among the best couple teams in the SEC while Kiffin is at the helm. He will be gone within five years, either b/c of firing or b/c a better job has come along.

This hire just seems to echo and similate Nebraska and Bill Callahan way too much....

The problem with UT wont be resolved until AD Mike Hamilton is fired....other than bringing in Bruce Pearl, he has only brought disarray to the school.....

C'mon. We've been working like heck with Fulmer for quite a while and it's clear to anyone with a logical thought process that this ship was not going to turn around anytime soon with him. I know we won the SEC East in 2007. We also didn't have to play Auburn or LSU while Georgia and Florida had to play both. We had a huge handicap in our favor to make the game. It was not a big accomplishment, it should have been expected. We also had to have SEVEN field goals all go our way to get into that game. We were blown out and quit in games against UF and Bama.

Bottom line, do you think if the program stuck with Fulmer that they'd win the East anytime soon with the program Meyer and Richt have?

UF and Bama played like shit against us this year and still won by 20+ on our field. I'm so sick of seeing that shit year in and year out. I doubt there has been a program on UT's level that has endured more asskickings than we have. I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Bringing in Pearl was an unreal decision for an AD. Most AD's in the country will NEVER even come close to making a hire that successful. Guess what, a lot of fools wanted to keep Buzz and thought Pearl was a mistake. Where are they now?

Give this hire a chance, and if Kiffin bolts in five years we should consider ourselves lucky to have a coach that good. I've never understood the mindset that 'oh no we can't hire this guy because he might leave us if he's too good'. If anything that's a pretty strong reason to hire a coach.

C'mon. We've been working like heck with Fulmer for quite a while and it's clear to anyone with a logical thought process that this ship was not going to turn around anytime soon with him. I know we won the SEC East in 2007. We also didn't have to play Auburn or LSU while Georgia and Florida had to play both. We had a huge handicap in our favor to make the game. It was not a big accomplishment, it should have been expected. We also had to have SEVEN field goals all go our way to get into that game. We were blown out and quit in games against UF and Bama.

Bottom line, do you think if the program stuck with Fulmer that they'd win the East anytime soon with the program Meyer and Richt have?

UF and Bama played like shit against us this year and still won by 20+ on our field. I'm so sick of seeing that shit year in and year out. I doubt there has been a program on UT's level that has endured more asskickings than we have. I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Bringing in Pearl was an unreal decision for an AD. Most AD's in the country will NEVER even come close to making a hire that successful. Guess what, a lot of fools wanted to keep Buzz and thought Pearl was a mistake. Where are they now?

Give this hire a chance, and if Kiffin bolts in five years we should consider ourselves lucky to have a coach that good. I've never understood the mindset that 'oh no we can't hire this guy because he might leave us if he's too good'. If anything that's a pretty strong reason to hire a coach.

Bro, I understand that as a TRUE UT fan you cannot look at this objectively...BUT it has to bother you that Gibril Wilson (who played for Kiffin and is a UT grad) doesn't support this move, doesn't it?

To me UT is one of the BEST 10-12 jobs in CFB...IMO, Kiffin has not proven himself as a HC and does not deserve this opportunity.

GL though as the higher your ranked when the annual asswhipping at the hands of my Gators happens the better it is for us.........:shake:

That's what you want to think and hope happens. First off, Kiffin beat out OSU for kids out of Ohio, the Florida schools for players out of Florida. Not easy at all. UT's recruiting has been spotty. Over the last few years it would be a strong year here followed by a bad year. Of course bad coaching and in my opinion an inferior S&C program meant the talent never got better.

The real weakness with UT has been talent on the lines and the approach to the game. The skill talent is there but the line play hasn't. Put Ed Orgeron on the D-Line and recruiting and this problem goes away overnight. Kiffin will change the timid mindset.

Say what you will about the Raiders and Kiffin, but Kiffin's Oakland teams were competitive for the most part. Don't even compare the Gruden situation in Oaktown to what Kiffin had. Not even close to the same teams.

The SEC went too far in beating Fulmer this year and now they're going to have a real problem to deal with at UT in the near future. You know it but just don't want to admit it.

:36_11_6: Bro, I haven't missed a Raider game in 15+ years...thanks for telling me what I (supposedly) didn't know about my team...........:shake:

Did I hear that right today on Sportscenter. Monte Kiffin is coming to UT as well? Father/Son coach combo? Interesting. Dude is a genius so that can do nothing but help

Music City Gambler,

I love the University of Tennessee and agree that Fulmer was having a rough year, but do you think a new offense goes in overnight???? The main problem was the lack of a decision maker at QB and a lack of a performer.

Do you expect Lane Kiffin to come in and win 10 games next year????

Once Phil had won the NC, nothin else was good enough...but in honest argument, I would agree that was the main goal.

It is just sad that a non UT person in AD Hamilton can run out such a caring and decent person in Phil who has bled his heart out for UT. Phillip really believed that next year this team was going to be very good, assuming the QB situation got fixed.

I dont have a complete argument as to why Fulmer should stay based on productivity, but he was in the SEC championship game last year, and with Ainge not throwing a pick in the redzone, UT could have easily won.

My argument is that AD Hamilton has brought many unnessary changes, and with the exception of Pearl, has caused many problems amonst the UT family, students, and athletic Dept. The hiring of Kiffin/Firing of Fulmer is a big swing at trying to make Hamilton look like a hero by trying to hide his poor handling of this situation and all the others poor decisions he has made.

I don't understand why they got rid of fulmer basically midseason. I mean , if they were going after a big hire or something than i get that but they didn't. Now you not only don't get a big hire , you lose recruits and respect as a program as well. Pretty classless move considering there was no real reason for it apparently.

I don't understand why they got rid of fulmer basically midseason. I mean , if they were going after a big hire or something than i get that but they didn't. Now you not only don't get a big hire , you lose recruits and respect as a program as well. Pretty classless move considering there was no real reason for it apparently.

Kyle, that is their AD in a nutshell....If Phil wanted to do what he felt, he would have punched AD Hamilton in the face for lying to him multiple times, including the comment about no decision before the end of the season (which he stated less than a week ago)

Music City Gambler,

I love the University of Tennessee and agree that Fulmer was having a rough year, but do you think a new offense goes in overnight???? The main problem was the lack of a decision maker at QB and a lack of a performer.

Once Phil had won the NC, nothin else was good enough...but in honest argument, I would agree that was the main goal.

It is just sad that a non UT person in AD Hamilton can run out such a caring and decent person in Phil who has bled his heart out for UT. Phillip really believed that next year this team was going to be very good, assuming the QB situation got fixed.

I dont have a complete argument as to why Fulmer should stay based on productivity, but he was in the SEC championship game last year, and with Ainge not throwing a pick in the redzone, UT could have easily won.

My argument is that AD Hamilton has brought many unnessary changes, and with the exception of Pearl, has caused many problems amonst the UT family, students, and athletic Dept. The hiring of Kiffin/Firing of Fulmer is a big swing at trying to make Hamilton look like a hero by trying to hide his poor handling of this situation and all the others poor decisions he has made.

Nice, objective take from a UT insider....:shake:

First of all, lets stop pretending that Phil didn't need to go. The last 4 seasons included 6, 4, 4, and 7 losses. That isn't good. At all. This isn't a bad hire. A guy with NFL experience who is an excellent recruiter and will put together an outstanding staff. He could fail, but I wouldn't bet on it. Also, lets not dub him a failure because he didn't succeed like Gruden. Gruden is one of the top coaches in the NFL right now. And you can't say for sure they inherited the same situation.

Im not saying he didnt have reasons to go, but I am ridiculing the way AD Hamilton handled it.

But im not going to get to worked up on some silly words posted by a guy with 32 posts in nearly 2 years.

By the way Mulligan, it pains me to say that I am rooting for Florida over Bama. But that is the lowest form of rooting possible!

First of all, lets stop pretending that Phil didn't need to go. The last 4 seasons included 6, 4, 4, and 7 losses. That isn't good. At all. This isn't a bad hire. A guy with NFL experience who is an excellent recruiter and will put together an outstanding staff. He could fail, but I wouldn't bet on it. Also, lets not dub him a failure because he didn't succeed like Gruden. Gruden is one of the top coaches in the NFL right now. And you can't say for sure they inherited the same situation.

I once walked on a NFL field once....that means I have almost as much experience as Kiffin in the NFL. He was barely there long enough to clean his pants out after he shit them.

This convo also has nothing to do with Gruden, but can I compare it to Callahan????

Mulligan-I fail to see how my posts lack objectivity at all. I call some of my team's accomplishments flukes and I lack obejectivity? You don't seem to think Kiffin has a chance to do well which doesn't seem that objective.While I love my teams, I will never deliberately give them the benefit of the doubt when they don't earn it, and I will never give an opinion I don't believe in.

I like Fulmer, I've met him many times. If he was going to be the coach for the next five years, I'd tell you that UT likely would do no better than 9 wins at best. I really like this hire and frankly rival fans shouldn't like that UT is going to have a killer coaching staff when that's been the problem.

If you can explain how it's fair to compare the 2-14 team that Kiffin inherited to Gruden's teams which were playoff caliber were on the same level, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
Music City Gambler,

Jonathan Crompton was a redshirt junior who was a stud recruit. The fact that he looked so ill-prepared and that there was no one ready to take over once it was clear that he wasn't the answer speaks volumes. It shows Phil's complete lack of preparation and his inability to anticipate potential pitfalls. Frankly that showed me all I needed to know.

The offense might have been different but it was still a pro-set. Fulmer made the Clawson hire. He also let Randy Sanders stay way too long. Phil was always too loyal to his assisstants and was often afraid to hire quality replacements. He never would fire a bad coach if a better replacement was available.

Common sense would dictate that it will be very difficult to do with road games in Tuscaloosa and Gainesville. Kiffin probably gives them a better chance than Phil would, but not much. No matter who the coach is next year will have a tough time winning more than 9. This hiring/firing doesn't have 2009 in mind. This is about 2010 and beyond.

Disagree. Tennessee fans have high standards but we're not unrealistic to the extreme like our neighbors in Tuscaloosa. An SEC title would have been nice. I would have settled for a BCS game as well.

The fact that they followed up their SEC East title with this 2008 team shows what a fluke that 2007 SEC East title really was.

Phillip would have done better by teaching the offensive line how to run block. For a supposed OL genius his teams have been inept at consistently establishing the run since 2001. I like Phil the person a lot, he just didn't have 'it' anymore.

I'm a UT graduate and frequently other programs do it better than the Vols do. I like that we have an AD who is willing to bring in fresh perspectives. Kiffin has a background with the most well run CFB program in the country. This likely could be the infusion of outside influence the program needs. Pearl had no UT connections and I'd say that turned out nicely.

Mulligan-I fail to see how my posts lack objectivity at all. I call some of my team's accomplishments flukes and I lack obejectivity? You don't seem to think Kiffin has a chance to do well which doesn't seem that objective.While I love my teams, I will never deliberately give them the benefit of the doubt when they don't earn it, and I will never give an opinion I don't believe in.

I like Fulmer, I've met him many times. If he was going to be the coach for the next five years, I'd tell you that UT likely would do no better than 9 wins at best. I really like this hire and frankly rival fans shouldn't like that UT is going to have a killer coaching staff when that's been the problem.

If you can explain how it's fair to compare the 2-14 team that Kiffin inherited to Gruden's teams which were playoff caliber were on the same level, I'd love to hear it.

Your lack of objectivity (as a UT alum) makes you reach for reasons to support Kiffin no matter the facts (ZERO success as a HC on any level)....:seeya:
Hell, as a Gator alum I found a way to support the hiring of Da Zooker....:seeya:

Gruden inherited a 4-12 team full of underperforming vets...not a "playoff caliber" team....:36_11_6:

I also see where you're already anointing Kiffin a great recruiter...tell me how hard it is to recruit for the #1 program in CFB? Hell, what 18 year old stud athlete would rather go to Columbus (with their "large" women and 10* days) over Southern California?

Bro, you've already made your decision...I'm contending UT deserved better (Brian Kelly?) and honestly, we need y'all to get back into Top 10 contention...good luck with that.

Last edited:
Music City,

According to people associated with the program and practice, Crompton was always pretty solid in practice, and then had the deer in the headlights looks in games. I honestly think UT did everything they could to prepare him and the other qb's.

I mean come on, Phil got Ainge and Bret Schaeffer to perform better as True freshman (even though they were still not ready), so I dont think it was a lack of preparation.

As for UT fans having high standards, I used to disagree with that. But as I step back and look at the program now, how can you say they dont have high standards like Bama or Florida. Both of those schools were in the shitter five years ago. I remember them being PISSED AND WANTING A CHANGE, but sad to say, it was never at this level of bitching and moaning.

And lack of support from a fan base to a committed and dedicated head coach. That was pathetic how quickly this fickle fan base turned, and anyone with an unbiased look at fans behavior and reactions (i.e. small crowds) could see that.

Fucking rats jumping off the ship b/c a little water is coming on board.

I just watched Kiffin's press conference. This is the first time I've ever even heard this guy speak.

Strictly judging by his demeanor, I like him. He was a bit nervous at first, but delivered his answers to every press question assertively and with poise. Again, I'm judging him strictly by his demeanor.

He said he's hopping on a plane immediately after the conference to fly to Memphis to speak with a number 1 recruit.

I respected his answers and the respect he showed for Fulmer and staff.

Now I'm just looking forward to Spring...

Few points.

Peyton Manning signed off on this hire and that's gonna mean a lot more to Tenn fans than any other former Vols player.

Kiffin is an amazing recruiter and having Orgregon, Callahan, and Reaves with him is only gonna help that. (Assuming they are part of his staff) He's gonna get players and he's gonna have a fantastic staff, I don't see how they aren't going to be successful. His tenure with the Raiders will have little to do with his success with Tenn. Those are 2 completely different ballgames. I'm not an Tenn fan, I'm just looking at it objectively. Good recruiting, good school, good staff= success.

I know the one guy said he knows Phil personally and I respect Fulmer a lot and don't mean to bash him. But, anyone thinks that the success of the QB's had anyone other than David Cutcliffe as responsible is out of their mind.

What a shocker. All the Raiders fans are in here bashing on Kiffin...I'm stunned.

I can understand that they don't like Kiffin, but how in the hell can you like/support Al Davis? The rich scumbag won't even pay Kiffin the money he owes him. Not to mention, the Crypt Keeper won't even give a head coach more than a year or two before kicking him to the curb.

I hope Kiffin succeeds just in spite of all you irrational haters...

:shake:

What a shocker. All the Raiders fans are in here bashing on Kiffin...I'm stunned.

I can understand that they don't like Kiffin, but how in the hell can you like/support Al Davis? The rich scumbag won't even pay Kiffin the money he owes him. Not to mention, the Crypt Keeper won't even give a head coach more than a year or two before kicking him to the curb.

I hope Kiffin succeeds just in spite of all you irrational haters...

The way he mishandled the Raider job and put his own agenda above the team shows what kind of "man" he is when the going gets tough and is a direct reflection upon his (lack of) character.

Listen bro, I'm going to delete my smarta** retort...I do respect the fact that you're a true Seahawk fan....:shake:

Last edited:
The way he mishandled the Raider job and put his own agenda above the team shows what kind of "man" he is when the going gets tough and is a direct reflection upon his (lack of) character.

Listen bro, I understand all those years we kicked Seattle's ass in the old AFC West has you still bitter...or is it your 32 years and counting of non-Super Bowl victories? :36_11_6:

Few points.

Peyton Manning signed off on this hire and that's gonna mean a lot more to Tenn fans than any other former Vols player.

Kiffin is an amazing recruiter and having Orgregon, Callahan, and Reaves with him is only gonna help that. (Assuming they are part of his staff) He's gonna get players and he's gonna have a fantastic staff, I don't see how they aren't going to be successful. His tenure with the Raiders will have little to do with his success with Tenn. Those are 2 completely different ballgames. I'm not an Tenn fan, I'm just looking at it objectively. Good recruiting, good school, good staff= success.

I know the one guy said he knows Phil personally and I respect Fulmer a lot and don't mean to bash him. But, anyone thinks that the success of the QB's had anyone other than David Cutcliffe as responsible is out of their mind.

Last thing I'm going to say on the subject...as I SINCERELY hope y'all can attain a semblance of your prior success (makes our annual match up more important)...but I'd lend more credence to the opinion of an ex-UT Star who actually played for Kiffin over Peyton.

Also, Kiffin's handling of the Raider job and putting his own agenda above the team is a direct reflection of the lack of the man's character....:tiphat:

Why is it that every UT fan has his nose so far up Manning's ass? MFer never beat the Gators and never brought a NC...now, the question we should be asking is if Tee Martin signed off on the Kiffin hire? :shake:

Last edited:
Well at least Tennessee has another head coach (Bruce Pearl) with a hot ass female on his arm...

Back