Kudos to LSU & Dem Couch Burnin' Inbreds

MrMulligan

Pretty much a regular
from West Virginia:

LSU & WEST VIRGINIA ANNOUNCE HOME AND HOME SERIES

Posted by Keith Arnold on February 26, 2009, 4:00 p.m.
LSU has agreed to a home and home series with West Virginia, starting in the 2010 season, LSU director of athletics Joe Alleva announced today.
The first of the two meetings will be on September 25, 2010 in Tiger Stadium. In 2011, The Tigers will travel to Morgantown for a September 24th game against the Mountaineers.
It will be the first time the two schools have met in football.
“This is a series that is very attractive to fans of both LSU and West Virginia and at the same time, it’s a game that will have a great deal of national attention,” Alleva said. “West Virginia is one of the top teams in the Big East Conference and we are excited about the opportunity to face a quality opponent from a BCS league.”
LSU has made efforts to strengthen their nonconference schedules of the future, and matching up with West Virginia is a good start.

Last edited:
Isn't this another way of saying Knowshon & Stafford were selfish MFers?

Georgia players say leadership, focus better in 2009

ATHENS, Ga. --

The leadership is better, the focus is sharp and the workouts are as intense as they have ever been. It’s a popular offseason refrain every year, but Georgia’s players have made a point of repeating the mantra with regularity during the past six weeks.What sets this offseason apart, however, is that the new and improved mind-set extends beyond the players, linebacker Rennie Curran said. Following a year in which practices were admittedly softer and off-field issues cropped up frequently, Georgia’s coaching staff has taken a new approach toward the offseason this year, too.
“All the coaches are definitely behind us wanting to change the mentality of the team,” Curran said. “Some of the punishments have become more intense if you don’t do it right, and just with that, all the guys have a completely changed mentality and it’s trickled down to the young guys all staying focused on and off the field.”
Wide receivers coach Tony Ball said the changes started at the top, with an emphasis from head coach Mark Richt on making this offseason as intense as any the Bulldogs have had.
Coaches have taken a more hands-on approach, spending more time overseeing workouts and ensuring players are keeping up with their offseason training. Ball said reminders of the team’s big-picture goals are everywhere in the locker room and weight room, offering subtle reminders of last season’s disappointments and this year’s expectations.
“I think the emphasis on the offseason is certainly more evident,” Ball said. “There is a sense of urgency. You can see that. It has been created subtly with some of the things you see around the facility, and Coach Richt has certainly demonstrated an emphasis.
Curran said Richt addressed the team after its bowl game, telling the players he wanted to return to his roots and handle this offseason like he did when he first took over as head coach. Curran said there has been a renewed emphasis on detail and accountability from the coaching staff, and the results are already beginning to show.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/222/story/630079.html

Last edited:
Please go to UT...so we can kick your ass every year, biatch.

TOP RECRUIT CROSSES GATORS OFF HIS LIST

Posted by John Taylor on February 25, 2009, 3:57 p.m.
There have been plenty of words written this recruiting season about how tight end Orson Charles would be a perfect fit for Florida’s spread offense.
While that may indeed be the case, we’ll never now for certain as the recruit has eliminated the Gators from consideration, a decision which whittles his list from four schools down to three.
Charles made the announcement via a mass text message.
“I appreciate Florida’s interest. I think very highly of Coach Meyer and the Gators,” Charles said in the message. “This was a tough decision for my family. Please understand me and my family’s call. Thank you and God bless.”
Two of the places still under consideration by Charles are SEC school: Georgia — the presumptive leader — and Tennessee. Southern Cal is the third school still on the TE’s list.

FALCON RB TAKING FLIGHT TO QB

Posted by John Taylor on February 25, 2009, 7:13 a.m.
Last season, Asher Clark was Air Force’s second-leading rusher from the tailback position.
This season, he’ll be fighting for the starting quarterback job.
According to head coach Troy Calhoun, Clark has been moved to QB and will go into spring practice competing with last year’s eight-game starter Tim Jefferson, the MWC’s Freshman of the Year in 2008.
“He’s 100 percent quarterback,” Calhoun told the Colorado Springs Gazette. “I thought back in August Asher Clark showed a lot at the quarterback position.
“I like his strength, I like the way he throws the ball, I like his quickness. I like how naturally he acquires football. … I want to see what the guy can do at quarterback.”
Clark was a QB at Peachtree Ridge (GA) High School and was originally recruited as such by The Academy. However, the 5′8″, 185-pound Clark moved to RB his freshman year last season and emerged as the Falcons’ best tailback toward the end of ‘08.

FALCON RB TAKING FLIGHT TO QB

Posted by John Taylor on February 25, 2009, 7:13 a.m.
Last season, Asher Clark was Air Force’s second-leading rusher from the tailback position.
This season, he’ll be fighting for the starting quarterback job.
According to head coach Troy Calhoun, Clark has been moved to QB and will go into spring practice competing with last year’s eight-game starter Tim Jefferson, the MWC’s Freshman of the Year in 2008.
“He’s 100 percent quarterback,” Calhoun told the Colorado Springs Gazette. “I thought back in August Asher Clark showed a lot at the quarterback position.
“I like his strength, I like the way he throws the ball, I like his quickness. I like how naturally he acquires football. … I want to see what the guy can do at quarterback.”
Clark was a QB at Peachtree Ridge (GA) High School and was originally recruited as such by The Academy. However, the 5′8″, 185-pound Clark moved to RB his freshman year last season and emerged as the Falcons’ best tailback toward the end of ‘08.

That's just nuts because as far as I'm concerned Jefferson is the most athletic QB that I've ever seen at AFA.

Still so early...think it's some kind of "message" to Jefferson?

I suppose it could be if he's not working hard during the offseason but these are military kids. Even when they aren't working hard they're doing more than any other NCAA kid out there. Clark and Jefferson looked so good together last year. Just don't see the reasoning behind this. I'll hit up the AFA message boards and see what I can find.

So Asher was recruited as a QB but he's 5'8" and the coaches didn't think he could cut it there. They move him to TB and he ends up taking over the 1st string job. The Falcons don't have a legit backup QB so they're moving Asher back to QB and letting them battle it out again in the spring. Asher is a better passer while they are both great runners. Loser will likely end up being the starting TB once fall camp starts up. Only at AFA where they didn't throw a single pass in a game last year. lol

I suppose it could be if he's not working hard during the offseason but these are military kids. Even when they aren't working hard they're doing more than any other NCAA kid out there. Clark and Jefferson looked so good together last year. Just don't see the reasoning behind this. I'll hit up the AFA message boards and see what I can find.

I was stationed in Colorado Springs and knew some AFA guys well...their 1st year or two is especially hellish.

Have to think it's some type of "wake up call" for Jefferson...can easily slide Clark back to HB during the Fall...maybe a leadership type thing?

Investigate this JPicks...the season is only 6 months or so away, my friend.

Mully :cheers:

So Asher was recruited as a QB but he's 5'8" and the coaches didn't think he could cut it there. They move him to TB and he ends up taking over the 1st string job. The Falcons don't have a legit backup QB so they're moving Asher back to QB and letting them battle it out again in the spring. Asher is a better passer while they are both great runners. Loser will likely end up being the starting TB once fall camp starts up. Only at AFA where they didn't throw a single pass in a game last year. lol

:cheers:

Everytime I think of AFA, I think of how they pulled a bullshit cover out of their ass against Utah. I still haven't forgotten that game

Everytime I think of AFA, I think of how they pulled a bullshit cover out of their ass against Utah. I still haven't forgotten that game

First Downs 24-9

Total Yards 440-191

Rushing Yards 197-53 (and afa came in as the 2nd best rushing team in the nation)

Time of Possession 36:38-23:22

Ya that was an ass beating for a 7 point win. Remember that 2nd half being the 2nd largest bet of the year for me in CFB right behind TCU and BSU in the bowl game. Boy I know how to pick those big spots. :36_11_6:

So are people going to blame LSU for "not playing anyone" when WVU sucks in two years under Stewart and doesn't even go bowling? Is the "they were good when we scheduled them" argument going to hold up?

So are people going to blame LSU for "not playing anyone" when WVU sucks in two years under Stewart and doesn't even go bowling? Is the "they were good when we scheduled them" argument going to hold up?

I hear ya...but with LSU willing to go to Morgantown, you have to give them props even if WVU is a .500 Big East squad in 2011.

My thoughts as well when I heard the news.
Work with a guy who is a WVU alum and he was all excited.
I told him his chance to beat us just moved on to the pros.

Regardless, they should put up a tougher fight than Troy State, North Texas, or The Sisters of the Poor. For season ticket holders its a nice gesture as our home games every other year suck for the most part.

I just cant wait to see if our new coaching staff can keep Miles out of the way. :popcorn:

YES I KNOW IT TOOK A FREAKING MIRACLE COMEBACK TO BEAT TROY AT HOME THIS YEAR.

Stewart, I know he has done some questionable things (Colo game) but he brought in a hell of a recruiting class, he has a good staff around him, I just don't think WVU is going to fall off hard this yr like every1 else. They return 8/11 on defense and Brown can play some QB. In 2010, I don't know what they will have but if Jock Sanders stays on the team and they sure up some spots on the OL, they are not going to be as bad as people think in 2009

In other SEC and drinking news....

Former Wolverines quarterback Ryan Mallett arrested

by The Associated Press Sunday March 01, 2009, 7:06 PM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Fayetteville police have arrested Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett on a public intoxication charge.
The 20-year-old Mallett was booked into the Washington County Jail at 4:47 a.m. Sunday after being arrested outside a nightspot near campus. He was released on bond about an hour later.
Coach Bobby Petrino says Mallett put the program in a bad light and will be disciplined.
Mallett is seen as the likely starter for the Razorbacks in 2009. He sat out 2008 after transferring from Michigan and has three years of eligibility remaining.
The 6-foot-7 Mallett played in 11 games for the Wolverines last year. He was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions while filling in for Chad Henne when the senior was injured

"Coach Bobby Petrino says Mallett put the program in a bad light and will be disciplined."

That really means something coming from a man of such outstanding character and integrity.

JPicks, more info on AFA QB Jefferson:

Air Force quarterback Jefferson misses practice to focus on academics

Air Force opened spring practice on Monday without freshman quarterback Tim Jefferson.
Jefferson, who started the last eight games of the 2008 season and earned Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year honors, did not participate, Falcons coach Troy Calhoun said, because he was doing academic work.
"There's a grasp that's got to occur that you go to school here, and even though you think you're a pretty good football player, you're going to hit school first," Calhoun said.
Calhoun said it was uncertain how many of the 15 spring sessions Jefferson would miss. He said Jefferson definitely would practice on Saturdays.
"You're going to see throughout spring there are going to be days when we come out here and some guys are missing," Calhoun said. "We'll have a few guys that what they're going to do, they're going to realize that their priority is academics. And today he was a member of that group."
Calhoun said last week that freshman Asher Clark would compete for the starting quarterback job - a somewhat surprising move considering Jefferson's success as a rookie and the fact Clark, who was recruited as a quarterback, moved to tailback and started eight games there. Calhoun said Monday that Jefferson's academic struggles had nothing to do with his moving Clark back to quarterback. "We were going to do that anyway," he said. (BULLSHIT?)
Clark ran plays with the Falcons' first-team offense Monday.
"I guess I was a little rusty, but the practice went well," Clark said. "I felt comfortable at times, but there were some plays where I kind of messed up a read."
Etc.
Freshman tailback Paul Weatheroy will miss the 2009 season because of reconstructive knee surgery. Weatheroy missed all of last season with a torn ACL in his left knee and then re-injured the knee in the offseason.
http://www.gazette.com/sports/jefferson_49205___article.html/going_calhoun.html

Last edited:
Could be a long season for Auburn's Defense:

Malzahn: Quarterback battle to be ‘wide open’

Gus Malzahn has liked some things he has seen on film and had nothing but great things to say about the personalities of Auburn’s quarterbacks.
He just isn’t ready to hand over the keys to his high-octane, speed-based offense until one stands out among the rest at spring practice.
“It’s going to be wide open,” Malzahn said Wednesday in his first meeting with the media since his introductory press conference in late December. “We’re coming into this thing new, and everybody’s starting new, and they’re going to have to earn it.”
Malzahn said he had no pecking order whatsoever heading into Auburn’s spring practice, which is set to begin March 24. A-Day, the end-of-practice, intrasquad scrimmage, is set for April 18 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.
Best-case scenario, Malzahn will have his guy by then, he said.
“But that’s hard,” Malzahn said. “I can’t say that now for sure. You’ve got to have somebody that earns it, that separates himself from the rest of them. So we’ll just have to see.”
The Tigers currently have four quarterbacks on scholarship and will have two more when Clint Moseley (Leroy) and Tyrik Rollison (Sulphur Springs, Texas) arrive for fall camp.
Junior Kodi Burns would be considered the presumptive front-runner if Malzahn had a pecking order. Burns opened 2008 as the Tigers’ starter and started the final six games of the season after Chris Todd fell out of favor and was permanently shelved with shoulder trouble.
Burns went 2-5 as a starter, with the two wins coming against Louisiana-Monroe and UT-Martin.
“He’s got a great attitude right now,” Malzahn said. “I know he’s been working extremely hard, as well as the other quarterbacks have. He’s ready to get to spring.”
At the start, Burns will take equal repetitions with Todd (senior), Neil Caudle (junior) and Barrett Trotter (redshirt freshman). As soon as possible, though, Malzahn said he will narrow the field.
Malzahn will be Burns’ and Caudle’s fourth offensive coordinator in three years. Before he was fired, former offensive coordinator Al Borges recruited Trotter.
“It’s been a wild few years for me at Auburn,” Burns said last season.
All of the candidates have the ability to pick up yards with their feet, particularly Burns, who was just two yards shy of the all-time record for an Auburn quarterback when he ran for 158 against UT-Martin.
Malzahn’s offense, which is tough to categorize because of its uniqueness, is based off speed, but doesn’t necessarily require a fleet-footed quarterback.
“I think it’s important enough to take what they give you and run it at times,” Malzahn said. “We don’t have to have a 4.4-4.5 guy, but we need to have a good operator.”
Todd, who switched his commitment to Auburn when Franklin was hired in 2007, went 3-2 as a starter in 2008 but lost noticeable velocity on his throws as the season progressed, underwent shoulder surgery following the season. It appears he will be ready for spring practice, Malzahn said.
“He started throwing and it’s hard to say exactly where he’ll be,” Malzahn said. “I know he’s planning on going through spring, but we’ll have to see where he’s at.”
Malzahn said he wasn’t very familiar with Trotter, but has “heard good things.” He is familiar with Caudle, however, as Malzahn was able to meet him back when he was a high school coach in Springdale, Ark.
Malzahn and his quarterback at the time, USC’s Mitch Mustain, traveled to Hoover for the annual seven-on-seven camps. Mustain and Caudle, a Spain Park product, became good friends, Malzahn said.
“He’s a rhythm quarterback and has a very good arm,” Malzahn said. “He seems like a super kid. He’s that type of kid that has the characteristics you look for in a quarterback, so I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.”
Auburn entered 2008 with both Burns and Todd as the starting quarterbacks because “it was one of those deals that the problem is so good that I don’t even want to think about it,” Franklin said at the time.
That good problem quickly turned into a bad one and Auburn was left without a legitimate starter the entire season.
Malzahn said he’d prefer to avoid that predicament.
“With what we do, we’re a quarterback-oriented system,” Malzahn said. “And I think that you’ve got to have a guy, and you’ve got to have a guy that’s the leader.”
http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/col..._battle_to_be_wide_open/61204/#When:06:36:29Z

Back